Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

@Legate of Mineta: Listing the questions (with my additions):

1. Can you tell us a little bit about Pievre's All-magic academy? When was it founded, and what was the driving force for the founding? Since most magic academies specialize in one pillar, there's got to be a good story behind this.

2. Aside from the library spaces, are there other places on campus where spellcasting is seriously frowned upon?

3. Will Pamela have a more proper picture in Y2 as opposed to a generic ghostly image? I want to know what she really looks like! Can I ask about a description of her general physical characteristics when you can make them out on a good day?

4. So, since Gates items can be legal if they are of old construction, I think we need to know about the legality of recharging uses of such an item, especially if Gates is not required to do the recharging.

5. Hypothetically, in the Case of Octavia Egaldi, If Mastery magic was available and not horrendously illegal, would it have been easier to heal her with Mastery. rather than  the very delicately engineered Negation that was used in that adventure? Or is it safe to say that to do so safely would have required a high level master of Mastery and an equally complicated spell?

6. Did the Misuse of Mastery caused many accidents like Octavia and Professor Knoht in the past? If so, why is that particular danger not discussed at all when discussing the magic? Is that danger completely overlooked in favor of highlighting it's "evilness"? (Or do some people consider that a perk of Mastery, lol)

7. So, Hypothetically, if my Character was from a destitute family, but managed (somehow) to befriend a certain Chard and even got her Pauper's bane for her, what would she have to say about the irony of that, particularly if that was brought up to her.

8. Has any student, at Academagia or any similar educational institution in the Empire of Man, ever been executed for illegal reptology, or is this merely theoretical?

9. How would one gain permission to study reptology (not just at Academagia)? Are the permissions supposed to be carefully recorded?

10. Would it be legal to suggest that a similar licensing scheme be adopted for gates/mastery magic?

11. Are there any theological factors (or even canon law restraints) that might encourage people to report about the undeads' personalities in one way or another?

12. Since the Empire of Man officially applies to all humans, are non-humans permitted more freedom from Imperial canon law (as opposed to civil and criminal law)?

13. Do non-humans have their own religions? Are they legally permitted to have their own religions?

14. Are there any laws dealing with how to handle creatures or plants that, having been summoned through gates magic from another world, are not dangerous but may be helpful?

*makes uncomfortable fidgety motions*

Ah, and though I suppose I don't really need to know now, I feel inclined to mention the circumcision question also.

Well, really I don't think it's that big of a deal to talk about in an adult and mature manner, but I know it's a subject which can cause squeamishness. And if there isn't an answer to it I'm fine with that, because then I'm sure it would open the floodgates to all other sorts of questions, like how fertility rites work, how Mineta deals with the world's oldest profession, and others.

You know what? I'm just going to shut up now before I think up something truly crazy to ask. :)

15 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Free;

I mean...I want to know, too...

But maybe we better find that out in Y5. ;)

That make me wonder if living long enough to see Y5 have not the same chance as seeing a Unicorn in RL. ;) (Sorry but sometimes it really feels that way that Year 5 will never see a release when Year 2 is already this late)

Even if they manage to reuse more of the engine and UI for the next years the problem is that the character system, the relationships and the story from the adventures are getting more complex each year because of past decisions. (Also Academagia year 1 is already a game with the philosophy more is better and its difficult to cut anything from the next years that was added in a previous year)

Well, the writing for Y2 was finished quite a while ago. Even if it gets more complex, It shouldn't take too much more time compared to the programing.

Well, Let's wait until Y3 comes out so we have an releasing average to work with.

Aaaand, voila!

1. Can you tell us a little bit about Pievre's All-magic academy? When was it founded, and what was the driving force for the founding? Since most magic academies specialize in one pillar, there's got to be a good story behind this.

1. It was actually technically founded as one of a series of "continental" centers for the promulgation of Imperial law back in the early 4th century, when people in Mineta were becoming increasingly concerned that the North (with its increasingly proto-Merilien languages and growing wealth) was flirting with schism and nationalism. In the early 7th century, though, there was actually a thought that the Empire (and the Palace!) would move from Mineta to the Pievran city of Turres Yzmaragdorum (the modern Tours d'Emerauds), and that a new capital would require a grand new center of magical study.

It didn't work out, but the school received its charter and held onto it for dear life.

2. Aside from the library spaces, are there other places on campus where spellcasting is seriously frowned upon?

2. For practical reasons, magic is discouraged at the remains of Icanicix Hall. It's specifically forbidden at the Old Cathedral (formerly the seat of the Emperor or Empress in his or her role as Astrologus Maximus, now just a curiosity behind the Avila Campus). And it's considered extremely unlucky at the different theaters at different times of year.

3. Will Pamela have a more proper picture in Y2 as opposed to a generic ghostly image? I want to know what she really looks like! Can I ask about a description of her general physical characteristics when you can make them out on a good day?

3. Yes.

4. So, since Gates items can be legal if they are of old construction, I think we need to know about the legality of recharging uses of such an item, especially if Gates is not required to do the recharging.

4. Recharging is legal, but paying someone else to recharge a Gates artifact - or conducting any non-monetary exchange for the service - is illegal.

5. Hypothetically, in the Case of Octavia Egaldi, If Mastery magic was available and not horrendously illegal, would it have been easier to heal her with Mastery. rather than  the very delicately engineered Negation that was used in that adventure? Or is it safe to say that to do so safely would have required a high level master of Mastery and an equally complicated spell?

5. Professor Briardi would say that using Mastery to undo the cumulative effect would be like tying a series of knots in a string in the hopes that they would collectively untangle an earlier knot.

But, of course, she's not a Mastery mage.

6. Did the Misuse of Mastery caused many accidents like Octavia and Professor Knoht in the past? If so, why is that particular danger not discussed at all when discussing the magic? Is that danger completely overlooked in favor of highlighting it's "evilness"? (Or do some people consider that a perk of Mastery, lol)

6. Octavia-type situations are probably mentioned deep in Mastery literature, but they're really not common. And, as you say, there's not much nuance in discussion of the downsides of Mastery; people tend to highlight what's easily described and superficially unjust and/or terrifying.

7. So, Hypothetically, if my Character was from a destitute family, but managed (somehow) to befriend a certain Chard and even got her Pauper's bane for her, what would she have to say about the irony of that, particularly if that was brought up to her.

7. Our Ms. Chard would probably start plotting about ways to get her friend adopted by a "better" family - or at the very least brought into the lesser nobility directly for distinguished service. It's only fair, since your family must clearly have been of good standing at some point before a calamitous fall.

8. Has any student, at Academagia or any similar educational institution in the Empire of Man, ever been executed for illegal reptology, or is this merely theoretical?

8. Not at the Academy, at any rate. There have been many minor scandals, but the school protects its reputation from its students.

9. How would one gain permission to study reptology (not just at Academagia)? Are the permissions supposed to be carefully recorded?

9. At the Academy, the Legate or any Regent can authorize it (subject to review by the Praetexta Court in the case of reported abuses). Out in the wider world, you'd need a letter of permission from a temple or monastery, or else membership (at a sufficiently high rank) in a specialized guild or licensed profession. One would be wise to be able to produce paperwork or witnesses to support one's rights.

10. Would it be legal to suggest that a similar licensing scheme be adopted for gates/mastery magic?

10. It's not illegal to suggest it, but the matter is considered settled law and you could run into serious trouble depending on who hears you. Though, obviously, the "Mental Bridging" loophole for pseudo-Mastery work establishes that there are precedents for regulated societies for exotic studies.

11. Are there any theological factors (or even canon law restraints) that might encourage people to report about the undeads' personalities in one way or another?

11. [Redacted]

12. Since the Empire of Man officially applies to all humans, are non-humans permitted more freedom from Imperial canon law (as opposed to civil and criminal law)?

12. To some extent, unless they've applied for the protections of some form of citizenship. Of course, that means that they also don't generally enjoy said protections.

13. Do non-humans have their own religions? Are they legally permitted to have their own religions?

13. Yes and yes. General practice frowns on both.

14. Are there any laws dealing with how to handle creatures or plants that, having been summoned through gates magic from another world, are not dangerous but may be helpful?

14. Curiously enough, not really. It's why shambling plant horrors can wander the school more or less at will. The only exception is if there's considered to be a serious risk of breeding on a scale that becomes disruptive to local agriculture or civic life. That said, as a matter of habit, strange things are generally either killed or captured and sold to collectors as quickly as possible.

Mmm. Interesting. :) I have to gather the willpower to not ask more so soon.

I suppose we should set a system up for a date to ask questions on.. In that way, once a month we can gather a bunch of questions for the team in a day without the Legate having to search for and accumulate them with a high chance of mission them.