Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

It would have to be at least that big, to be capable of having a large enough setting to go through 5 years of exploring and discoveries.

What about Mineta. in terms of size and population, what real life city should we compare it to?

How much wood can a woodchuck- okay, right.

What collage(s) are Phillipe's two brothers in?

Do any other students have elder siblings at the Academagia? If so, what are their names and what collage are they in?

Is Magsa a black sheep, an orphan, or just a kid from a very poor family? (Or is that a redacted?)

Any word on what students in the first year have familars that can talk (to others besides their owner)? The only ones coming to mind immediately are Flore's and Llaria's (possibly), but I'm guessing there's more than that.

As for the player character, which of their familiars can speak? The sprite, shade and doll, obviously, but I am I missing something else obvious?

How do the staff at the Academagia (the groundskeepers and the like) tell if an animal is just a regular bird/stray or a familar? Is there any obvious ways to tell familiars from 'normal' animals besides watching how they act? Can a familar disguise themselves as a normal animal if they so desire (and have some Acting and Espionage, I guess)...?

Mikka;

For your questions:

1) What collage(s) are Phillipe's two brothers in?

2) Do any other students have elder siblings at the Academagia? If so, what are their names and what collage are they in?

I'm not sure for both of these.

3) Is Magsa a black sheep, an orphan, or just a kid from a very poor family? (Or is that a redacted?)

[Redacted]. :)

4) Any word on what students in the first year have familars that can talk (to others besides their owner)? The only ones coming to mind immediately are Flore's and Llaria's (possibly), but I'm guessing there's more than that.

Hmmm, good question. :)

5) As for the player character, which of their familiars can speak? The sprite, shade and doll, obviously, but I am I missing something else obvious?

I *think* those are the only ones, but I'll check.

6) How do the staff at the Academagia (the groundskeepers and the like) tell if an animal is just a regular bird/stray or a familar? Is there any obvious ways to tell familiars from 'normal' animals besides watching how they act? Can a familar disguise themselves as a normal animal if they so desire (and have some Acting and Espionage, I guess)...?

There is a relatively simple Spell which can tell if an animal is linked, making it a Familiar. Otherwise, if they do not act in a way which betrays their intelligence, there is no real way to check.

What does it take to be hired by Academagia? I mean as both teachers (I imagine certain fame and a previous education there would be welcome if not required) and as staff. We already know from one event that the cook isn't a very capable wizard and there are assistant cooks there, but how are they screened? How about the gardeners?

How is the cafeteria? Harry Potter style or more typical American high school as portrayed in movies?

I am usually imagining Academagia as a small city so what does it take from an outsider to gain entry into the grounds? Some ID check (do they have IDs?) or just a good excuse offered to the guards?

MadHatt;

Hiring is one part 'who you know' and one part being screened by the Regents. The former, however, is generally stronger, and the interview with the Regents is usually just a formality outside of the teaching or research positions.

The cafeteria is in the Great Hall, so it would be closer to Hogwarts, I imagine.

Entry to the Academagia requires an invitation or a magical seal. From time to time people do sneak out that do not have either of these, but that usually triggers an alarm. All Students are sealed on their first Day, so they (usually) do not have to worry about the powerful magical security.

So inviting your parents and not sending them an invitation or a seal would be an either glorious prank or a terrible one. Are famous people around sealed too? Like, say the Captain or some other important official or do they need approval as well?

Oh, how common are visits to the Sphinx that aren't by students (or student, considering only the player frequently goes there)? Would the teachers be surprised that their students are often there? Would mundane people also go and chat? If I lived in Mineta, I'd probably be there all day, honestly, magic or no.

Mad;

In the case of your Parents, they would be turned away at the gate. It would only be a problem, I suppose, if they tried to sneak in. :)

Some notables are indeed Sealed as a courtesy, though.

The Sphinx is hidden, and in the Imperial Palace, so it's not known *too* well. I imagine, though, you'd meet others there, from time to time. :)

For some reason I got the impression that the many and random skills learned by the Sphinx was just as much due to the other people visiting. Like one big hall where people explain ideas and the Sphinx would then mediate and correct.

The entrance question was really informative though. I seem to recall somebody had a grandmother living illegally on the grounds of the Academagia, sneaky old grandma (or terrible memory!). Are familiars affected by the seal as well, and is it possible to know when a sealed member leaves the Grounds? - sneaking off into the city and the likes.

For some reason I got the impression that the many and random skills learned by the Sphinx was just as much due to the other people visiting. Like one big hall where people explain ideas and the Sphinx would then mediate and correct.

I imagined a large dusty room where you could sneak in and just discuss things back and forth over tea. Of course, I imagined the Imperial Palace half abandoned then (it was before an adventure). Who hangs around at the Palace anyway? Bureaucrats, guards, gardeners and cooks are a given(they're there in the Hawk Bonding adventure) but does anyone actually live there permanently?

And about the entry...anyone thinking what I'm thinking...? Master all the parents!

My Black Sheep characters would have a laugh.

Adrian;

That's an awesome idea, Adrian: "For some reason I got the impression that the many and random skills learned by the Sphinx was just as much due to the other people visiting. Like one big hall where people explain ideas and the Sphinx would then mediate and correct."

...I'll pass that along to the Team. Maybe they want to go with that! :)

Familiars are Sealed, too, yes. As to whether or not you can be tracked coming and going...well...you would have to ask Orso Orsi. :)

The Imperial Palace is maintained by the Emperor's household. As there is no Emperor right now, they are in the employ of the Captain of Mineta. It's overall very rarely used, and parts of it are entirely abandoned.

That makes two of us. Though I expect that the magical seal system is sufficiently advanced that even after taking advanced negation, you would not be skilled enough to do anything with it.

So here's a question, what about regular animals? Birds, and such, would likely often pass such a barrier and I can't see the alarm going off every time a spider sneaks through...

Obviously the Academagia is pretty much in a league of it's own, but I remember that one adventure where another school pulls some prank or another on your class, and you hold a "revenge meeting" which turned out to have a bunch of students from that other school in it.

1. How did they bypass the seal system, and

2. Does that schoolwide rivalry happen often?

All;

Defeating the Seal will require your experimentation. Who knows how difficult it is to trick? Certainly normal animals don't seem to be a problem...;)

Seals are renewed each year.

Schoolwide rivalries sometimes do occur, yes- as to how they got on campus, that's a good question. I don't believe their presence is an oversight, though...;)

Meaning Orsi knew they were there and their coming and goings (if we assume he can track that... *looks over shoulder*). He 'might' not have known what they were up to though. They claimed that they had done a tour of the school and messed some things up (which they might have done - though that may have been usual school pranks and normal paranoia) and wrote a messege and attended the 'revenge committee'. But WHY?! What might Orsi gain from this? Inviting a bunch of kids over to mess with his own pupils... hmm

The one adventure that really sticks out then is the Mechwarriors adventure where some mundane kid sneaks in to your dormroom just to steal your warfigure.

...As far as I can tell, there's only one explanation: the entire staff is in on it! /dundundun They support the stealing of innocent items from innocent students! Rebel, rebel!

(Yet another group for the list...)

So not everything is as it seems........

Looks like I'm gonna have to add some extra defenses to my dorm room in year 2. My electrostatic curse will have to be fully developed by the time summer vacation is over.

by the way, In real life, summer vacation is a leftover from the old days when most kids were expected to help the family work the farms before the autumn harvest. Is that going to be a significant theme "to work for the family"? Or are more artistic liberties going to be taken?

Edit:

Also, under what circumstance would it be that a person would be called a witch, or warlock?