Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Do they have "reaction" tests for Illegal magic at the Academagia? Say, putting something somewhere that only a person who has some knowledge in the area would take note of, which would betray their knowledge?

2. I note from Regent Massioti's description that Rimbal has it's own unique spell sets which don't necessarily mesh well with general knowledge. How will that be reflected when we actually get to play it?

3. Has the Academagia ever let non-mages teach the more mundane classes? Even as a substitute? Guest lecturer? I imagine it would be rare if ever because of obvious reasons but I figure I'd ask.

4. I know of Von Rupprecht's assistant, but for extended circumstances how are substitutes handled?

5. When will us Saw-loving students get to practice Chirurgery?

6. In the Clique list, next to the names of every one, I see a bunch of zeros. (and one "1") Are cliques themselves supposed to aquire relations with each other at some point? and how does one do that if so?

7. Who is Orso's personal assistant and will we get to meet this person?

8. The Library of Orthographical Curiousity & Insight! I just found it in the lores while searching for material to ask you on! (I typically do most actions at the default location.) Why can we not study there? and why is the chance of detection almost as high as the forbidden section of the Venalicium? @_@

9. Is it possible to read another's thoughts? If so, what pillar would that fall under?

10. I notice that not *every* subskill needs to be raised in order to raise a parent skill. Is there a way in the future that we will be able to tell which ones are important for this purpose?

11. Also related, in history class, why do we not seem to learn anything about A. The Exile, B. The Captivity, C. The second captivity? are they too specific to spend time on or something?

Freespace;

For your questions:

1. Do they have "reaction" tests for Illegal magic at the Academagia? Say, putting something somewhere that only a person who has some knowledge in the area would take note of, which would betray their knowledge?

...good question. :)

2. I note from Regent Massioti's description that Rimbal has it's own unique spell sets which don't necessarily mesh well with general knowledge. How will that be reflected when we actually get to play it?

As you know, most Spells you learn have one useful effect or another- Rimbal Spells really don't, apart from their use in the game.

3. Has the Academagia ever let non-mages teach the more mundane classes? Even as a substitute? Guest lecturer? I imagine it would be rare if ever because of obvious reasons but I figure I'd ask.

Yes, it's happened, especially if the instructor is very knowledgeable and/or well-regarded. These Classes, though, are generally held for 5th years, in order to make sure the most...responsible Students attend. ;)

4. I know of Von Rupprecht's assistant, but for extended circumstances how are substitutes handled?

A few Instructors are 'without portfolio', and they handle substitutions. In Year 1, Professor Knoht is actually substituting for an extended absence, as she is without portfolio, I believe.

5. When will us Saw-loving students get to practice Chirurgery?

HAHAHA! I do not know the answer. ;)

6. In the Clique list, next to the names of every one, I see a bunch of zeros. (and one "1") Are cliques themselves supposed to aquire relations with each other at some point? and how does one do that if so?

You'll find out. :)

7. Who is Orso's personal assistant and will we get to meet this person?

Hmm, good question, but I am pretty sure you will meet them...;)

8. The Library of Orthographical Curiousity & Insight! I just found it in the lores while searching for material to ask you on! (I typically do most actions at the default location.) Why can we not study there? and why is the chance of detection almost as high as the forbidden section of the Venalicium? @_@

Haha, no. You cannot study there because the subject material of the library is too advanced and membership is required, as I recall.

9. Is it possible to read another's thoughts? If so, what pillar would that fall under?

Yes, and the answer is Mastery.

10. I notice that not *every* subskill needs to be raised in order to raise a parent skill. Is there a way in the future that we will be able to tell which ones are important for this purpose?

Well...any of them can be used, so they are all equally important. It's the highest 3 that are checked, if that answered your question?

11. Also related, in history class, why do we not seem to learn anything about A. The Exile, B. The Captivity, C. The second captivity? are they too specific to spend time on or something?

That's a good question- their Lores are somewhat related, but they aren't overviews of the subject materials. I personally feel that they should describe those events better- maybe we'll update those in a future DLC?

The Aura of Cemoros spell seems to be a charming spell or even a love spell (Look random event wardrobe malfunction 1), to which degree does this work? It work on the griffon, but would it work on humans as well? - and which spell line does it fall under?

Oh, and since Mastery also covers spells that don't directly involve control over the mind. (just passively reading thoughts) Then shouldn't things like dream sending be under that too?

1. What would be the best way to remove large quantities of smoke in a closed environment?

2. If you accidentally burned something badly, (charred) could revision be used to fix it? Permanently?

3. What if that something was a person's arm that ignited because the potion he was carrying received an electric shock from a nondescript static electricity curse?

4. How would one remove the effects of a heat-activated potion to make anything it touches invisible? It's immune to all negation spells I know!

5. What is the best way of finding your way out of a building that is now largely invisible because of contact from smoke from a heat-activated potion to make anything it touches invisible?

6. And can you hurry? We have room inspections today!

Freespace;

1. What would be the best way to remove large quantities of smoke in a closed environment?

The 'best' way would depend entirely on the mage! :)

2. If you accidentally burned something badly, (charred) could revision be used to fix it? Permanently?

Yes it can be fixed, but permanence is truly difficult to achieve. Something like permanence can be achieved if the object in question regrows itself anyway (for instance, a badly burned hand.)

3. What if that something was a person's arm that ignited because the potion he was carrying received an electric shock from a nondescript static electricity curse?

Oh, I anticipated you. As above.

4. How would one remove the effects of a heat-activated potion to make anything it touches invisible? It's immune to all negation spells I know!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. :)

5. What is the best way of finding your way out of a building that is now largely invisible because of contact from smoke from a heat-activated potion to make anything it touches invisible?

That's up to you. ;)

6. And can you hurry? We have room inspections today!

Hope your CoD is low! :)

On 4, I was implying that the potion that caught on fire was an invisible potion that the fumes turned everything invisible, but explaining it kinda ruins the joke. :) No biggies.

1. Actually, DO they have room inspections, how often and what exactly do they look for?

2. And can ghosts like Pamela use any magic? I assume so since you do encounter those dueling ghosts in the cold room...

3. I know you can't incant living things, but you can incant food apparently? Although a lot of food is either living matter at some stage, pre-life like seeds, life, like vegetables, of post life, like bread. How does that work?

4. Can a person incant all of the requirements to make wheat, (soil, seeds, water, etc) make wheat and harvest it, and bake bread with it? (I assume so)

5. Now, would that magical bread from above differ from bread incanted out of thin air without all the work?

Yes it can be fixed, but permanence is truly difficult to achieve. Something like permanence can be achieved if the object in question regrows itself anyway (for instance, a badly burned hand.)

Regarding the 'functionality' of regrows/regenerate, would it count if I first use revision or enchant to gives the object the properties of regrows/regeneration (permanent or long enough for a full recovery) and then achieve permanency on the next step/casting?

You're probably right, Schwarzbart! :) I expect as much.

But I like experimenting and seeing for myself the limits of that which can or cannot be done. or at least knowing so I don't have to assume. I don't like unknowns. For this reason I'll probably pepper the poor Legate with questions until a few years after year 5 is released.

And while I'm here and typing again, even though I already know the likely response. What pillar DOES time magic fall under?

And is "life transfer" magic possible? either taking life or youth from something and placing it into another? And if so what pillar?

All;

1. Actually, DO they have room inspections, how often and what exactly do they look for?

Yes, in part that's what the illegality of your Items represents. As to how often, and what they look for...of course, it's a surprise. ;)

2. And can ghosts like Pamela use any magic? I assume so since you do encounter those dueling ghosts in the cold room...

Yep!

3. I know you can't incant living things, but you can incant food apparently? Although a lot of food is either living matter at some stage, pre-life like seeds, life, like vegetables, of post life, like bread. How does that work?

You can Incant seeds, for instance, but you seem unable to grow from them...while they last. ;)

4. Can a person incant all of the requirements to make wheat, (soil, seeds, water, etc) make wheat and harvest it, and bake bread with it? (I assume so)

Yep! Easier to simply Incant bread, though.

5. Now, would that magical bread from above differ from bread incanted out of thin air without all the work?

Sure! What if you are a terrible cook? Your bread might be awful. ;)

6. Regarding the 'functionality' of regrows/regenerate, would it count if I first use revision or enchant to gives the object the properties of regrows/regeneration (permanent or long enough for a full recovery) and then achieve permanency on the next step/casting?

Yep. I believe there is a Lore somewhere which describes what happened when someone tried this...;)

7. Can magic be used to "separate" people? Say disconnect their arms, legs, and head, while keeping them alive? then put them back together as if nothing ever happened?

Hmmm, better let Orso know about this question. :)

8. What pillar DOES time magic fall under?

Good question! Rhahaha.

9. And is "life transfer" magic possible? either taking life or youth from something and placing it into another? And if so what pillar?

It is possible, yes, and you most often see this in Incantation, although other ways are possible.

What would happen if two spells hit each other in a duel? I suppose the specific effects depend on the spells themselves, but.. Would two negation spells cancel each other out?

What determines if one overpowers the other? and are there duels where two mages are locked trying to overpower the other's spell before it hits?

Freespace;

Actually, it's very interesting what happens when Spells collide. There was a portion of the design related to that in Year 1, and we hope it can resurface again- probably not in Year 2, though.

In essence though, the individual Palettes (and sometimes even the Phemes) possibly will interact, which can lead to some unexpected results. ;)

Interesting! Looking forward to that whenever it is.

And do you think we can get a pronounciation guide to all the unique names of the setting? (and probably most of the uncommon terms too.) Even though I only read them in my mind and it doesn't really matter how they "sound" I suspect my personal interpretation of the vowel sounds on a LOT of terms are wrong. Better to know now than 5 years from now....

1. How do palettes work? I understand the basic idea of drawing phemes on one, but how does a person create one? Just draw an outline with a wand?

2. I know that Gates and Mastery spells are easy enough to detect in the current era, but what about knowledge of specific magical defenses to those magics? I imagine a general knowledge of negation is better than nothing, but with all knowledge of these topics being taboo, have the best (legal) counter-spells fallen from common knowledge too?

3. What's the backstory of the black-hen/chicken? Seriously. It scares even me in real life. (We all know chickens are evil, but this is an evil one amongst evil chickens!) www .youtube. com/watch?v=XWvK63PHR00 (skip to 1:03)

4. What is the situation with tutoring? Are there any official places to turn to or is it all student-based?

5. Obviously dragons vary in size and power and all that, but say that a single mage, at lets say Orsi's level has to fend one off. What would be the best strategy? Would there be any hope at all to stall it and at least run away after buying civilians some time to flee?

1) You create a border, which in turn makes the palette. You'd want different borders for different purposes. Look: here.

That said how important are the right borders/palettes for a spell? Were I to use a wrong palette get very different results? I wanted to cast a fireball but I forgot the right palette so instead I got a bunny of fire who jumped around the floor a minute before vanishing - leaving a blaze that burned down half the city! (or something)

3) I'd hate to meet the back chicken after that video, that is for certain. I have to ask, were there chickens in Zelda and were they invincible? the reason I ask is : this

4) I think the tutoring system is controlled by Orsi and the regents. I certainly remember it being mentioned that if you really wanted to tutor someone (personal slave) in year two then doing Orsi's questline wouldn't be a bad idea.

For 1, I understand the basics of it, but if it's a 3-dimensional space, then are phemes 3D as well? that seems like a B**** to draw. And as for how you make a sphere from drawing, I'd like some clarification on the issue. Also I think your example is a little.... Extreme.

But hell, I'll go for that.

On 3, Yes. Yes they are invincible, which is yet another reason to fear the black, evil chicken.

On 4, I'm more interested in the options a student has available for tutoring, rather than asking Orso permission to Master tutor a slave idiot. That never goes well.