Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Makes sense for the PC, but I was wondering if Y2 will attempt to simulate Y1 with the NPC students or if they're all going to start with no cliques formed and no higher/lower relationship values (student-specific exceptions like Cyrus/Olivia aside) like they do at the start of Y1. I'll admit that the latter would probably be more convenient for new players, but it's also kinda...really boring? I think some randomization like that could go a long way to make the game more interesting on future playthroughs, so maybe it's worth it.

1 hour ago, yurisama said:

Is there any y1 npc student that showed interest in Synch, similar to Lambert on Gates and Aaran to Mastery?

Sima Venesico and Tabin Furenzti both seemed to be interested in things which, if pressed, they might try to explain as only equivalent to but not identical to Mastery magic. I can certainly see Sima as interested in it, given her interest in hidden knowledge, mind-control, and establishing peace.

Meta-wise Sync was introduced too late for any NPC student to have been designed with a direct interest in it, though it might end up indirectly falling within the wheelhouse of a few of them one way or another. I'd also like to note that Sync isn't designed for mind-control, as such, but whether Sima would realize that fact and/or have a different definition of the term than I do...separate questions, perhaps.

Question of my own: How are homunculi, referring to artificial humans created by alchemists (brewers?), created/viewed/treated/utilized/taken care of (maintained?)/look/etc.? And if their creation is banned under the heading of Gates magic in the current age, what answers to the above questions, if any, could an Academagia student in the history section of the Academagia's Venalicium dig up on the subject?

29 minutes ago, Metis said:

I'd also like to note that Sync isn't designed for mind-control, as such, but whether Sima would realize that fact and/or have a different definition of the term than I do...separate questions, perhaps.

Being able to read the minds and calm the emotions of people through technically legal means seems like something which Sima would be fascinated by. Given her interest in obscure (when not illegal) magical lore, I could easily understand her learning something about synchronicity.

Sima strikes me more as a Glamour girl than a Mastery one, so does Synch in some ways so i dont think is out of character for her.

One thing i think is unlikely for her to learn Synch, in meta, is that as the star of the Triplets the Team probably has some strong plans for her already

Also, while i do think kindness is important for Synch, i see less of the all life is sacred aspect, and more of granting a quick death to those that havent done the same

34 minutes ago, yurisama said:

Sima strikes me more as a Glamour girl than a Mastery one

This is the same Sima whose adventure reveals her to enjoy brainwashing students into helping her and creates riots as part of her plans. Sima undeniably likes glamour, but I cannot avoid understanding her as a lover of mastery.

Why do you think that Sima is the Triplets' star? I lean more towards Magsa as the star, given how he has the most content about him in Y1 - more than Sima does.

@Rhialto I would have to re-read her adventure to be sure, but i think they were under Glamour not Mastery. There's a subtetly in her that fits Glamour better, i believe. She could learn both of course

Neta and Emilia Picotti also have things you could associate with Mastery but turn out not to be the case, Glamour is that good 

As for the star part, she gets some protagonism for being the only girl of the trio, and is described as a mastermind and inspiring person, thats a good one from the legate

" If the question is more along the lines of "Who's most likely to be the next Orso?"  Well, possibilities might include Rui, Sima, Leopold, Durand, Ana Flavia (if she has room to grow without [Redacted]), or even Olivia "

I also think she is the only one of the trio that gives a relationship point max, for me this helps to show a deeper bond with her than with the other two.

Her side adventure where you met Philippe was accessible to everyone, unlike Magsa that has one locked behind Durand. That adventure in particular showed me a bit of her kindness, where she made company and entertained the little girl like a big sis, and stood up for you and her against Phillipe

• Like 1

Metis;

"Homunculi represent kind of a legal gray area - in sophisticated, magic-affluent settings like Mineta they tend to be considered products of alchemy (not least because when they appear they're often specifically designed familiars, and nobody wants to ban weird familiars) and are presumed legal, if kind of creepy.  In more isolated settings, they are often considered to be products of Gates magic, and are destroyed accordingly - sometimes with their wizards/creators subject to severe consequences as well.

As to the creation, there are different routes - the most common is to carve certain runes into a mandrake root, then leave it to simmer in an alchemical broth in an enchanted cauldron for thirty-one days.  At the completion of that term, it should look vaguely humanoid (albeit without eyes or nose or genitalia - but with a mouth); the alchemist or wizard responsible for its creation then gives it regular infusions of blood for a period of some months (depending on the enchantments on the cauldron and the intent of the creator).

When all's said and done, they generally look like tiny children - from the size of a hand to the size of a forearm.  Unless they become familiars most don't really seem truly sentient, but they can often walk and speak well enough to answer astrological questions.

They are, again, considered unsettling to be around.  They're also not common, even in Mineta; there may be a handful around at any given time, but it's fairly unlikely that the player character would have encountered any by the start of Y2.

But there's plenty of reading material in the Venalicium."

Rhi;

"Yes, generally in multiples of seven years - generally thought to be derived from a second-century allegorical story in a very influential religious collection called "The Book of Definitions" that claimed seven years was the length of time it took for the victim of a crime to forget the color of the criminal's eyes.

There are exceptions, though.  If a criminal flees lawful prosecution or arrest, the clock stops for as long as he/she/they is away from the City.  Also, in theory, the Captain can be petitioned to declare that the original crime was ongoing - usually in cases where it seems that evidence has been concealed.

Treason, Mastery, and Gates magic are also all considered ongoing crimes by default."