Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Hmmm.

1. In the Dragon Age games, (which are of a considerable darker genre than here) mages have to go through a final test before being trustable enough to use magic. What I'm curious about are whether there exists any trial of any kind before getting any magic training. Even if it's just to weed out personality types that might not be a good match for the power that magic brings. Although I note that, in this setting some people may have more natural talent for magic it seems to me that, just about anyone could in theory learn some even if it is too complicated for that. (also the lack of demons to possess magic users also removes a large necessity in that line of thought)

I'm dangerously close to losing my train of thought right now so I finish my question as "are there any need for such tests?", or "were there in the era of Mastery and Gates?"

Also, since the average person does seem capable of magic, (barring the enormous complexity and knowledge base required) which seems to be why the Academagia gets applications from a large amount of people, (a not insignifigant amount of which not having any immediate association with magic), Are there any phemes or other base understandings of magic that ordinary people have understandings of? If only the understanding of what a pheme is, if not what they do etc, etc.

Also, since my thoughts have connected them, I would like to know exactly what are the details of the application process to the academagia. I would presume that in the setting, it would be very formal, and entirely written; probably mostly by the parents of the applicant unless it was required to be written by the hopeful student-to-be. Given the volume of applicants, I would guess that there would be certain criteria in the application itself which would have to be adhered to, lest it not be given a second look. My questions on this are basically these:

1. What criteria is neccessary for an application to be looked at? (A special form? Figuring out some magical puzzle? Money?)

2. What sort of information does the Academagia require in the application? (I know having a Wizard in the family would be a help, but that is very likely optional info. What other things are looked at besides station in the appliation itself)

3. Timewise, when are applicants supposed to mail the letters off? (The year before? Or is there a waiting list for a couple years and you're supposed to try early and often?)

4. We know how many get accepted in a year. On average, how many kids get heart-brokenly rejected? (given the setting, they probably don't even get a rejection letter, do they?)

Freespace;

Dragon Age is just a *touch* darker, isn't it? :)

1. In the Dragon Age games, (which are of a considerable darker genre than here) mages have to go through a final test before being trustable enough to use magic. What I'm curious about are whether there exists any trial of any kind before getting any magic training. Even if it's just to weed out personality types that might not be a good match for the power that magic brings. Although I note that, in this setting some people may have more natural talent for magic it seems to me that, just about anyone could in theory learn some even if it is too complicated for that. (also the lack of demons to possess magic users also removes a large necessity in that line of thought)

No, nothing like that.

I'm dangerously close to losing my train of thought right now so I finish my question as "are there any need for such tests?", or "were there in the era of Mastery and Gates?"

There are no tests of that kind, but there are laws, and people capable of carrying them out; it doesn't go too much further (although things have been less strict/stricter in the past.)

Also, since the average person does seem capable of magic, (barring the enormous complexity and knowledge base required) which seems to be why the Academagia gets applications from a large amount of people, (a not insignifigant amount of which not having any immediate association with magic), Are there any phemes or other base understandings of magic that ordinary people have understandings of? If only the understanding of what a pheme is, if not what they do etc, etc.

No, it's very specialized knowledge. That said, anyone can be taught magic, if they are bright enough.

Also, since my thoughts have connected them, I would like to know exactly what are the details of the application process to the academagia. I would presume that in the setting, it would be very formal, and entirely written; probably mostly by the parents of the applicant unless it was required to be written by the hopeful student-to-be. Given the volume of applicants, I would guess that there would be certain criteria in the application itself which would have to be adhered to, lest it not be given a second look. My questions on this are basically these:

1. What criteria is neccessary for an application to be looked at? (A special form? Figuring out some magical puzzle? Money?)

Money and connections usually guarantee a review. A recommendation from a mage, especially a graduate, will do the same.

2. What sort of information does the Academagia require in the application? (I know having a Wizard in the family would be a help, but that is very likely optional info. What other things are looked at besides station in the appliation itself)

Ostensibly, they want to know what skills and knowledge the applicant already possesses. As above, connections and money also matter. :)

3. Timewise, when are applicants supposed to mail the letters off? (The year before? Or is there a waiting list for a couple years and you're supposed to try early and often?)

The year before, during the summer.

4. We know how many get accepted in a year. On average, how many kids get heart-brokenly rejected? (given the setting, they probably don't even get a rejection letter, do they?)

Rejection letters are only sent to the well connected and the well-to-do that are not admitted. Many thousands of applications are received, however...

Legate;

Thanks for the descriptions! But now I am curious about Professor Briardi's background. Did she fight pirates before becoming a professor? Maybe that's why she and Sixt are always fighting.

Enchanted signals for Hedi eh? Prank time!

Godina as a madhouse. How come their dorm is not falling faster than the boy's Avila dorm? And are you should it is just shoes on the chandelier and not something ... dirtier? tongue.gif

And regarding Vernin, how damn opulent are we talking here? Water bed, carpeted floors, satin sheets, room heating and cooling, wafers for breakfast and chamber pots!

And here is my ranking of most safest to most dangerous dorm:

Durand --> Hedi --> Avila (Girls) --> Aranaz --> Godina --> Avila (Boys) --> Morvidus --> Vernin

Why Vernin? Because its too fancy for a school.

And Fresspace;

*High Five*

*High fives back*

Now correct me if I'm wrong, Legate, but my understanding of the Aranaz-Durand relationship is mostly aggressiveness on the part of Aranaz. However, in game I've noticed that Durand frequently manages to get one up on Aranaz, and usually it's not with any great effort, or else Durand just gets lucky or hides their end of the rivalry better.

Anyway, given that Aranaz 1) is much more intense in rivalry than Durand, 2) Tends to be on the losing side more often than not, and 3) to me anyway would be filled with the scheming paranoia types that I would think that Aranaz would be more secure.

But then if Aranaz is much more gung-ho and willing to sneak into Durand more often it would make sense...

Then there is accounting for the exact effect you mentioned Freespace, I don't think Aranaz would want a too strong security on their dorms, simply as it would put a pin in the wheel of the large majority of the collage's population. Then of cause there is the fact that most of their students are playing for their own gain, if Durand discovers your rival as s/he is sneaking into their dorm then that may not be such a bad thing - for you. The thing is you need to be subtle about it. <_<

My favorite ability is "Methods of the masters" because of it's raising the parent skills of several pillars. Will we see more of this kind of ability in future years? I ask because it seems to me that the name of the skill implies mastery (no not that Mastery) of the skills. I know an alternative (and most likely) interpretation of the skill means just knowing a few tricks used by the actual masters of the trades, so I'm curious. It seems to me that giving too many of skills like this would not be a good idea, but at the same time I like the idea of rewarding those who try to study all of the different branches of magic, especially if learning them all will be exponentially difficult in future years.

Also, on a similar topic, since that ability (and others like it) raise the level cap by its modifier in y1, will we still get that "padded" level cap in future years?

I had just gone through Rui's adventure (strangely named Rui de Casga) and now I have some questions. Again.

*Minor spoiler for those who didn't make friends with Rui*

1) The Veritas worm sure was interesting. But how would anyone remove it once it was inside? Fleshpecker? Cutting it out with a long knife?

*Spoiler ends*

2) There nurses but the school doesn't have doctors? Or are the doctors too busy patching up more serious injuries somewhere?

3) This is something I had only considered when looking for inspiration. Since there is a Floor Master in Avila dorm tower 8, do other dorms have Floor Masters too or do the older students help?

4) Magazines and / or comics. I would assume that magazines are available to show the latest fashion trends right? Or do the girls (and boys) find out about fashion from gossips?

5) Are there indoor pools in the gym? I can't imagine Professor Massioti teaching swimming during the winter. Actually I can. With kids freezing their butts off in their wet swimsuits. And the professor doing poses showing off his physique to his lady-friend.

6) Restating an old unanswered question. Are any of the professors married? tongue.gif I'm thinking Professor Briardi may have many suitors and a certain Legat ... *Choke!*

Leoshi;

For your questions:

1) The Veritas worm sure was interesting. But how would anyone remove it once it was inside? Fleshpecker? Cutting it out with a long knife?

That is a good question, I don't know. :)

2) There nurses but the school doesn't have doctors? Or are the doctors too busy patching up more serious injuries somewhere?

The Academagia does have doctors, they may have been busy elsewhere.

3) This is something I had only considered when looking for inspiration. Since there is a Floor Master in Avila dorm tower 8, do other dorms have Floor Masters too or do the older students help?

I believe they all do.

4) Magazines and / or comics. I would assume that magazines are available to show the latest fashion trends right? Or do the girls (and boys) find out about fashion from gossips?

From newspapers, actually, no magazines or comics as we would know them.

5) Are there indoor pools in the gym? I can't imagine Professor Massioti teaching swimming during the winter. Actually I can. With kids freezing their butts off in their wet swimsuits. And the professor doing poses showing off his physique to his lady-friend.

I believe there is an indoor pool, but the outdoor pools are fully usable, with magic. :)

6) Restating an old unanswered question. Are any of the professors married? I'm thinking Professor Briardi may have many suitors and a certain Legat ... *Choke!*

Some are, yes. They tend to keep that information away from the Students, however, for obvious reasons. :)

1. Is there a trend set for magic users marrying other magic users? Or magic users and "muggles"? or is there no discernable trend at all?

2. So, I would imagine it's possible (and probably not too difficult either) to simply Glammour a bully into thinking they'd been Mastered. My question is how often is that sort of thing done, and if you became known for doing such a thing, would that earn a talking to?

3. Are we going to see a lot of new skills in year 2 or are we mostly going to focus on improving the ones from year 1?

4. How advanced is Chemistry in this setting? I know basic black gunpowder is around, and any other explosive that we would know of would be far too modern, but what about other aspects? Like Greek fire? Would a doctor understand the concept of sterilizing via chemicals (or even just boiling water?)

5. Could you give an example as to how a different pallete would change the effects of a spell? The description of the skill implies that while it may be a powerful tool, it's apparently easily overlooked and most wizards can get by without investing into the skill.

Freespace;

1. Is there a trend set for magic users marrying other magic users? Or magic users and "muggles"? or is there no discernable trend at all?

Yes, to a certain degree mages marry mages, but it's more of a class basis. You won't see too much of that at the Academagia, which generally draws a wealthier and more noble set of students.

2. So, I would imagine it's possible (and probably not too difficult either) to simply Glammour a bully into thinking they'd been Mastered. My question is how often is that sort of thing done, and if you became known for doing such a thing, would that earn a talking to?

It's certainly possible to give impressions through Glamour, and you could persuade someone uniformed that they were being Mastered, but it couldn't be mistaken for the real thing. You would definitely get a talking to, though. Sounds like a great random event. :)

3. Are we going to see a lot of new skills in year 2 or are we mostly going to focus on improving the ones from year 1?

Many new Skills. What you focus on, of course, is up to you. ;)

4. How advanced is Chemistry in this setting? I know basic black gunpowder is around, and any other explosive that we would know of would be far too modern, but what about other aspects? Like Greek fire? Would a doctor understand the concept of sterilizing via chemicals (or even just boiling water?)

"Greek fire" does exist, but sterilization, alas, does not. Chemistry, as you are taught it, is without a theoretical basis- it's more a collection of specific reactions known to alchemists of the day.

5. Could you give an example as to how a different pallete would change the effects of a spell? The description of the skill implies that while it may be a powerful tool, it's apparently easily overlooked and most wizards can get by without investing into the skill.

Your basic Palette is excellent for providing safety in spell casting, but it has many limitations in terms of duration, areas of effect, ritual use, and some forms of advanced magic.

Legate;

1) So what is the Greek fire called in this world? smile.gif

2) How advance is medicine in this world? I imagine they are more advance considering magic is a very helpful thing.

3) Back to the newspaper. Is coloured pictures or is it a list describing the latest fashion? Care to cite their sources? Imagine if someone faked a message saying the latest trend is wearing super pointy hats.

4) From the Pitts adventure. Why do we (the PC) not get to have a Bruellian Pot Bellied Pig?angry.gif We could have had a piggy ninja star that would have help us conquer the school bullies! And I had to play as a Kid Anova to get to it.

Leoshi;

1) So what is the Greek fire called in this world?

Cassattan fire or oil.

2) How advance is medicine in this world? I imagine they are more advance considering magic is a very helpful thing.

Non-magical medicine is about the same level as the late Renaissance; magical medicine is, of course, much more advanced in terms of wounds and healing.

3) Back to the newspaper. Is coloured pictures or is it a list describing the latest fashion? Care to cite their sources? Imagine if someone faked a message saying the latest trend is wearing super pointy hats.

For those of wealth, it may be illustrated, in color, or even have magical limnings. Everyone else relies on textual descriptions.

4) From the Pitts adventure. Why do we (the PC) not get to have a Bruellian Pot Bellied Pig? We could have had a piggy ninja star that would have help us conquer the school bullies! And I had to play as a Kid Anova to get to it.

HAHAHA! No comment. :)

Oh! Oh! More questions!

1) What is the likelihood of the Academagia orchestra playing

?

2) Concerning the school papers (again), is it daily, weekly or bi-weekly? Or others?

3) What are the usual contents? I can imagine Big News like ongoing war or new policies to prevent accidents in the school (Cante).

4) Ever since you were so kind to obtain descriptions of the interior of the dorms. I now have to ask what the exteriors look like. Like Morvidus looking like a tree-castle or Godina built into the mountain. Or Vernin looking like a small town with a very distinct explosion in mid-air.

Many thanks for your answers. And has it been change to NearTM yet?laugh.gif

Leo;

1) What is the likelihood of the Academagia orchestra playing this song?

The likelihood is nil. This song, however...

;)

2) Concerning the school papers (again), is it daily, weekly or bi-weekly? Or others?

The Year 2 School Newspaper? Each week.

3) What are the usual contents? I can imagine Big News like ongoing war or new policies to prevent accidents in the school (Cante).

It's mostly gossip about the Students. ;)

4) Ever since you were so kind to obtain descriptions of the interior of the dorms. I now have to ask what the exteriors look like. Like Morvidus looking like a tree-castle or Godina built into the mountain. Or Vernin looking like a small town with a very distinct explosion in mid-air.

I believe you can already see them on the map.

Legate;

Year 2 Newspaper ?! So that's why the newspaper section in the modding tools are empty. But then if the newspaper is mostly on gossip then how did it get approval from the professors?

Eh nevermind that. So long as the kids do some reading instead of playing boardgames in their rooms. So that's how we find out about other students.

About the Avila dorms. When I look at the map, I see a large building surrounded by short tents? Or something?

Also sad-crying-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

I was bored and I figured I would boot this game up again. I have a question about word colors? I am trying to get my ideal clique, as always, and for all my befriend actions I get blue and green as the word colors but these actions never succeed. I also have a clique member who supposedly gives me +33% for social actions but that didn't seem to help much either.

I know back when I was doing my perfect game tests I got occasionally 2 and very rarely 3 new click members in one day with just emilia in my clique, but now I can't even get 1 person over several tries.

Mat;

Colors on certain actions are not a good indicator of success because there are some system bonuses (or, in this case, maluses) which make Befriending increasingly difficulty as you gain more and more Friends.

I believe that you have already double-checked that your Targets are not in Cliques already?

Mat;

Colors on certain actions are not a good indicator of success because there are some system bonuses (or, in this case, maluses) which make Befriending increasingly difficulty as you gain more and more Friends.

I believe that you have already double-checked that your Targets are not in Cliques already?

Yes I did. I knew there were some issues with colors as well but wasn't totally sure. Did you make any changes to befriending that would make it generally less successful?

And does the 33% social bonus from the hedi clique member affect befriending?