Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Mat;

I'll need to double check, but from what I understand, yes. There weren't any significant changes to Befriend (unless you are playing with an unpatched game, which would be very surprising. :) )

It seems like bad luck, I'll pass this on to the Team regardless.

Its possible its merely a statistical anomaly.

1. In the adventure chain where Orso uses an item to teleport you, I have a question regarding that. I understand that actually casting a Gates spell is taboo and thus the item is a bit of a loophole, but how would such an item be created/enchanted? Legate, earlier you mentioned that bags of holding could be legal so long as they were made preban and were registered. (in Mineta anyway..) Is this the case for that particular item as well? So that once the item is enchanted/created the randomness factor is nullified? If so, Will we start to see more of these "skirting the law" items? Also, I will assume that this Preban enchanted item loophole only applies to certain utilitarian Gates items and those hoping for a similar Mastery item loophole will be sorely disappointed.

2. Also, regarding the monarchs who are the namesakes of the colleges... Are those names their actual names or "stylized" names?

Freespace;

In the early Empire, the wizards knew the secret of 'perfect' Gates magic. Most (legal) Gates Items date from that period, as the random factor is definitely not nullified in modern Gates enchantment. Those secrets have since been lost, and it's not clear why. You are correct about Mastery. ;)

The names of the monarchs are entirely stylized. :)

1. In the ancient days, Romans called a band of light seen by the naked eye in the night sky; the Via Lactea, (the milky road/path/way) which we now know today as our galaxy. Because of our location in the galaxy, we see only a disk. What do the people in setting see (maybe not even a spiral galaxy, could be anything) I'm curious.

2. Apart from vegetarians who (I assume) are that way from a moral perspective, are there others who might abstain from certain foods for other reasons? Pork being considered unclean by some cultures, etc.

3. Given that if you have the skill, you can cast magic with just about anything, I imagine it's not so important, but is there a specific type of wood used for wands/staves? And also, I remember that the store that Oan brings you to sells wands attuned to the different pillars. How does that work?

4. You mentioned at one time that magic that eases burdens is illegal without permission due to a monopoly on said magic due to a certain guild. Are there other magics that fall under this sort of category and also, should we be keeping this in mind for random events/adventures?

5. I don't think you've said one way or another on this, but are there printing presses in this setting? It seems conceivable enough given the timeframe, Although with magic around it would be slightly redundant and I could see some wizards not wanting the mundane taking a cushy copying position from them.

6. Obviously mages vary widely in talent and ability. Obviously a diploma from the Academagia would be a huge asset when job hunting, but how would a prospective employer go about testing magical knowledge from an applicant? I would guess that if you were an alumni of, say, Durand; you would expect a certain level of knowledge in Negation, but if they need someone with knowledge in another pillar as well, how would they test that? Get another wizard to test them? Or is it a simple "if you can do _______, We want you."?

Freespace;

1. In the ancient days, Romans called a band of light seen by the naked eye in the night sky; the Via Lactea, (the milky road/path/way) which we now know today as our galaxy. Because of our location in the galaxy, we see only a disk. What do the people in setting see (maybe not even a spiral galaxy, could be anything) I'm curious.

They see stars; nothing as dense or bright as the milky way.

2. Apart from vegetarians who (I assume) are that way from a moral perspective, are there others who might abstain from certain foods for other reasons? Pork being considered unclean by some cultures, etc.

I would imagine yes, although nothing specific to Mineta.

3. Given that if you have the skill, you can cast magic with just about anything, I imagine it's not so important, but is there a specific type of wood used for wands/staves? And also, I remember that the store that Oan brings you to sells wands attuned to the different pillars. How does that work?

You'll find out more about this in later Years, but the wands (and other devices) are much easier to use, and much more efficient to cast magic with.

4. You mentioned at one time that magic that eases burdens is illegal without permission due to a monopoly on said magic due to a certain guild. Are there other magics that fall under this sort of category and also, should we be keeping this in mind for random events/adventures?

I imagine that there are other examples of this, but nothing immediately springs to mind. ;)

5. I don't think you've said one way or another on this, but are there printing presses in this setting? It seems conceivable enough given the timeframe, Although with magic around it would be slightly redundant and I could see some wizards not wanting the mundane taking a cushy copying position from them.

There are, yes, but they themselves are magical.

6. Obviously mages vary widely in talent and ability. Obviously a diploma from the Academagia would be a huge asset when job hunting, but how would a prospective employer go about testing magical knowledge from an applicant? I would guess that if you were an alumni of, say, Durand; you would expect a certain level of knowledge in Negation, but if they need someone with knowledge in another pillar as well, how would they test that? Get another wizard to test them? Or is it a simple "if you can do _______, We want you."?

Usually, they will hire a guild to vet candidates. In some cases the specific ability is observable, like 'create some wind for us'.

Thankies!

Ooh, and before I forget... in my main save, my character has a feather which increases luck by 1 while it decreases the chance of success of Negation spells by 10%

Luck increases the general Cos by some amount, right, so my question is: Does the raise in general Cos offset the Negation reduction at all? Negation is one of my character's best skills at 13, so I'm hesitant to reduce the Cos by 10%... If that's counteracted and thus the reduction is (pardon the pun) Negated, then I'm okay with that. Can you clarify this for me?

I thought so. Just making sure so I have a plan as for what to do with all my worthless (in my eyes) items in Y2.

Friendship with a griffon is not nearly as important as getting that tuition paid for Esteban Contu's School of Incantation. ;)

(I might not even attend the level 2 incantation classes at the Academagia in Y2 if there are enough "magical" subjects to pursue..)

Speaking of subjects, I think the answer to this one was yes, but... are students generally allowed to take Y1 subjects if they didn't take them previously?

Say, Legate.. I understand the Praetexta Court as it is applicable to the player, but I'm a bit curious on its application in the setting. Is it only strictly a disciplinary meeting for students? Or do they meet there to discuss school policies and other things? Do they plan meetings every so often? Or do they hold special meetings especially for troublemakers? (which would cut time from the Regents' schedules and start them on a bad mood...) or somewhere in-between? Or does the Academagia use some other meetings for the faculty which the player as a student would not be aware of?

The Praetexta Court is actually the administration for the entire School. The Regents, the Legates, and other Nobles sit on it, and they meet in small sessions at least each week. The small sessions handle discipline cases, unless they are particularly extreme.

As for other meetings the Students aren't aware of...well...you aren't aware of them. :)

Leoshi;

Yep, there are 3, as I recall, although one of the positions is empty.

Edit: As it turns out there are 5, and 2 are empty.

Legate of the Academagia

Legate of Mineta

Legate of Leuca (empty; I believe you'll find out why in Year 2, if you completed a certain Adventure...)

Legate of Milamina (empty due to politics)

Legate of the Imperial Temple

Oh come now Schwarzbart.

If this is the in-game Legate of Mineta then that would mean he used a combination of gates and time magic to come to our dimension, our Earth, our year 2012. And I don't think he is planning to bring back our secrets of computers and the Internet back to his dimension and make lots of money.

smile.gif

Well, this is interesting! :)

Since a Legate can be the top of a school (albeit a several square mile "fief") a city, and possibly regions (Leuca, Milamina)

1.I am curious about these Legates and what their closest real-life equivalent would be.

This prompted me to look up the world map for the first time in forever. While it's a good map, it's also pretty large and up until today I hadn't really examined it closely. I must say that you really have to immerse yourself in the lores before you can get anything out of the map. That being said, I've never heard of Leuca or Milamina despite my reading the lores extensively for my characters. (though granted that's probably a small portion of those available) and I can't find them on the map, though again I'm looking close to mineta (logically) so

2. are those places ALSO cities? Are they just to small to put on the map?

3. And using that logic, I know Mineta is a city, but with it being a capital, is the region it is in also named Mineta? (Kind of like there being a city Washington, and a state Washington in the US (though I admit that is not the best example)

4. Regarding the map, It shows monteon fairly large.. Is this depiction after the incident, or before? And also, did the incident actually destroy a large part of the island, or merely render it uninhabitable?

5. Also, is that a series of bridges connecting Montevre with those islands?

6. Exacly what scale is the map? In other words, how long would 10 miles be in it?

Freespace;

1.I am curious about these Legates and what their closest real-life equivalent would be.

There is no real-world analogue put into practice, unfortunately.

2. are those places ALSO cities? Are they just to small to put on the map?

They are old regions.

3. And using that logic, I know Mineta is a city, but with it being a capital, is the region it is in also named Mineta? (Kind of like there being a city Washington, and a state Washington in the US (though I admit that is not the best example)

The region is also called Mineta, yes.

4. Regarding the map, It shows monteon fairly large.. Is this depiction after the incident, or before? And also, did the incident actually destroy a large part of the island, or merely render it uninhabitable?

This is after the Cataclysm. Monteon was huge; as large as Meril.

5. Also, is that a series of bridges connecting Montevre with those islands?

That is the Wall.

6. Exacly what scale is the map? In other words, how long would 10 miles be in it?

Good question- I'm not 100% sure. I believe each province is ~50 miles across, though.

Wow. I forgot that I was reading a fantasy map and failed to make the connection with the wall! :)

How "Thick" is the wall? I would imagine it could be used as a bridge if you wanted to, although in practice I suspect that it would just be easier to sail rather than WALK all that way, not even taking into account the stigma of walking across the first (?) line of defense against the dragons with nowhere to flee if they invaded....