Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

How often are phemes discovered in this era? Also, at what level does the academagia encourage experimentation with pheme combinations? I would think that year 1 students are mostly taught conventional spells mostly, but I'm curious.... Finally, where would one go for that kind of experimentation on campus?

Schwarzbart is correct- you'll be able to play with Palettes a bit in Year 2. New Phemes are (re)discovered frequently in this era. Apart from some institutions or generous scholars which try to preserve knowledge (such as the Academagia), most Phemes are jealously hoarded by their discoverers, and are usually known only to the guilds or families which found them...or by the thieves which trade in them. :)

In other words, it's like colors. If you have 2 colors you can make a third, but if you have three then the combinations increase... So basically you're saying that the number of spells will be increased at a much higher number than phemes, as well as spell effects?

Ah.

So in year 2 I might be able to modify (as an example) "Wrath of the Comet's Tail", an offensive spell, to also have healing effects to the caster? That kind of added effect?

Questions!

We can purchase Phemes? Or earn them? So is the seller a human or ... ?

Will the world have a Gaslamp Fantasy theme?

Is there Cryptozoology classes? Exactly how fantasy is the world of Academagia?

Is a penguin familiar possible? I feel like suggesting it because of

and this. tongue.gif

Leoshi;

You can purchase knowledge of how to draw Phemes, yes.

I suppose that, if you aged the world by two or three centuries, it would be gaslamp, yes. :)

There are indeed Classes about magical creatures; you'll be able to take that introductory course in Year 2. The world is fairly fantastic, but many magical creatures have died out or become scarce due to human pressures. The Imperial Reserve is one area set aside for the preservation of magical creatures, for instance.

Penguin familiars are possible- but I don't think any were a part of the Exile. I suppose you could Gate one in. :)

"I suppose you could Gate one in."

Hey guys! Check out my awesome familiar! :) I call him Penpen!

Where did I get him? ....That's not important!

What do you mean that's illegal?

Gah! Nooooooo!!! Don't take him away!! :(

Do Phemes vary in appearance a lot? Or do they all have one/some form(s) that are recognizable?

When I think of a pheme, I think of a bunch of straight lines with sharp angles zigzaging each way. But from your description it's at least theoretically possible for a pheme to look like a 2 year-old's scribbling on a wall with crayons... ;)

Could we get some clarification on this?

Freespace;

A Pheme is a 3-dimensional glyph, sigil or rune- it's possible for them to be intricate and structured, and it's also possible for them to look like scribbling (the Chaos Pheme, for instance!) They are definitely all recognizable as Phemes when you see them; depictions in books, notes, etc. may not be as recognizable, however.

I'd like a panda familiar...or just a bear. Could we take a bear in the dormitories?

What exactly are the security measures for a Gate/Mastery Wizard? A lot of negation, I imagine, but if the mage is skilled, can they not, ..er...negate the negation without a wand? Because at certain levels of skill and mastery over more than two domains of magic, there really doesn't seem like anyone can do anything about it. Would the familiar also be restricted? Because, really, a familiar with enough knowledge of mastery ...well, that wouldn't be helpful towards continued imprisonment.

As for the Captain (I think he may be my favourite NPC in the game other than the Legate), what exactly would they have done to Ilaro...if they had managed to catch him / corner him? Threatening him with swords seems...pointless? Especially considering what the man can do.

And aside from a brief view at Asad the Lion, in one of the student quests (which I have no idea on how to trigger again), will we get to meet him again in either a nemesis or ally capacity? Will he remember the PC? He seemed like a really cool character.

Naturally, the ability of a 2d surface to portray a 3d object is doubtful at best. The idea that all phemes can be recognized as such is good enough for me...

1. I know you mentioned that the Academagia only teaches those phemes and spells deemed safe.. But I have to ask.. Say I've got a 11 in astronomy, which I acquired without ever taking the class... Apart from the study mastery bonus for the subject, why would one take the class? Are there phemes that a student can only acquire there, or is it effectively moot?

2. What's the highest point in Elumia?

3. I understand that Estiban Contu's school of incantation is a specialty school, and thus can "make Godina's professor's look on in amazement" but what is the history of the school? The lores I have don't really say anything about it and I'm curious if they wouldn't have a sort of rivalry with Godina just because of similar fields...

4. I read in the lores that there was a case where the rivalry between Aranaz and Durand came to a head after a Rimbal game championship got violent and was canceled, which caused even more chaos between the two that only the Legate at the time managed to avoid serious trouble! tm. How long ago was that? within the memories of the current students, or is this more of a legend passed down?

5. What would be the legal status of spells that would allow one to, as an example of the type, use all of one's muscles at once in order to increase strength, but at the cost of ripping said muscles if overused? I ask becuause even if Mastery wasn't used to remove the mind's restrictions on that sort of thing, it still seems like something that would be forbidden...

Mad & Free:

I'd like a panda familiar...or just a bear. Could we take a bear in the dormitories?

No, these kinds of larger Familiars are housed at the Menagerie.

What exactly are the security measures for a Gate/Mastery Wizard? A lot of negation, I imagine, but if the mage is skilled, can they not, ..er...negate the negation without a wand? Because at certain levels of skill and mastery over more than two domains of magic, there really doesn't seem like anyone can do anything about it. Would the familiar also be restricted? Because, really, a familiar with enough knowledge of mastery ...well, that wouldn't be helpful towards continued imprisonment.

To a certain extent this is actually true for any form of magic. That is why mages tend to band together. ;)

As for the Captain (I think he may be my favourite NPC in the game other than the Legate), what exactly would they have done to Ilaro...if they had managed to catch him / corner him? Threatening him with swords seems...pointless? Especially considering what the man can do.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it would involve a sticky end for Ilaro. :)

And aside from a brief view at Asad the Lion, in one of the student quests (which I have no idea on how to trigger again), will we get to meet him again in either a nemesis or ally capacity? Will he remember the PC? He seemed like a really cool character.

I believe he'll be back. And he is a cool character, I agree.

1. I know you mentioned that the Academagia only teaches those phemes and spells deemed safe.. But I have to ask.. Say I've got a 11 in astronomy, which I acquired without ever taking the class... Apart from the study mastery bonus for the subject, why would one take the class? Are there phemes that a student can only acquire there, or is it effectively moot?

Assuming you can pass the Astronomy Class Tests, no point at all.

2. What's the highest point in Elumia?

I'm not sure off-hand the name of the peak, but it's in Azern.

3. I understand that Estiban Contu's school of incantation is a specialty school, and thus can "make Godina's professor's look on in amazement" but what is the history of the school? The lores I have don't really say anything about it and I'm curious if they wouldn't have a sort of rivalry with Godina just because of similar fields...

I'm not 100% sure. I had *thought* there was a Lore dealing with the subject in the game, but I'll have to ask.

4. I read in the lores that there was a case where the rivalry between Aranaz and Durand came to a head after a Rimbal game championship got violent and was canceled, which caused even more chaos between the two that only the Legate at the time managed to avoid serious trouble! tm. How long ago was that? within the memories of the current students, or is this more of a legend passed down?

More of a legend, I believe.

5. What would be the legal status of spells that would allow one to, as an example of the type, use all of one's muscles at once in order to increase strength, but at the cost of ripping said muscles if overused? I ask becuause even if Mastery wasn't used to remove the mind's restrictions on that sort of thing, it still seems like something that would be forbidden...

You mean, you cast this on someone else? It would be illegal and punishable by a fine if you did not have their consent, is the usual Common Law approach. In Mineta these kinds of crimes are dealt with a little more severely, mostly because, with the Academagia in the City limits, it happens more frequently. :)