Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

There are indeed Classes about magical creatures; you'll be able to take that introductory course in Year 2. The world is fairly fantastic, but many magical creatures have died out or become scarce due to human pressures. The Imperial Reserve is one area set aside for the preservation of magical creatures, for instance.

sad.gif

Excuse me while I sulk in a corner for a while.

But before I go, where are the other libraries (Longshade, Manetele, Mantle of the Stars, Orsi's secret library and so on) located?

Any chance we will be seeing a wolf as the possible familiars in the future? I know I've asked but I figure the more often I let it breathe the better the chance. :P

Two sweet wolves; Summer from Game of Thrones, and Reynardine from the wonderful webcomic of Gunnerkrigg Court. Just for possible ideas... Ghost too, from GoThrones, but I personally like Bran's more...

It occurred to me, is the 'chaos' pheme changing? hehe I imagine that it would make it annoyingly difficult to cast but it would fit.

As for the very vague answer to 'how do you hold a very strong mage' I think we'd all like you to elaborate, of if that sort of knowledge isn't accessable to young mages then I have another question:

Is it possible to 'block' gate usage in an area? Even a small one. I realize that gates are hazardous, but a bit of hazard might work just as well as a teleportation spell in some cases...

Since most animal familiars, as well as magical animals with no real life analogy, show much more intelligence than a standard animal... how exactly do people in setting classify sentience?

Oh, and are "freaky friday" styled bodyswaps possible and, if so, what pillar would that fall under?

Adrian and Free:

Any chance we will be seeing a wolf as the possible familiars in the future? I know I've asked but I figure the more often I let it breathe the better the chance.

A wolf is on the list, but not guaranteed!

It occurred to me, is the 'chaos' pheme changing? hehe I imagine that it would make it annoyingly difficult to cast but it would fit.

Hahaha! I believe the answer is no, but...it should, shouldn't it? :)

As for the very vague answer to 'how do you hold a very strong mage' I think we'd all like you to elaborate, of if that sort of knowledge isn't accessable to young mages then I have another question:

Sure; the answer is a lot of negation magic. Usually, a special form of enchanted restraint is used to prevent spellcasting. This is sometimes used in conjunction with prepared cells which do the same thing. As a final resort (well, before execution), a mage might be cloistered.

Is it possible to 'block' gate usage in an area? Even a small one. I realize that gates are hazardous, but a bit of hazard might work just as well as a teleportation spell in some cases...

Yep, you can.

Schwarzbart and Free (now with more Free edition!);

It depends on the mage, their status and friends, and so on. In that particular case, however, [redacted]! It may be more than it would seem at first glance...;)

Since most animal familiars, as well as magical animals with no real life analogy, show much more intelligence than a standard animal... how exactly do people in setting classify sentience?

'Sentience' is classified by 'Souls of Man' or 'Souls of the Old Gods'- that is, a distinction is made between things that derive from the peoples and beasts which were a part of the Old Gods' souls, and things that were simply made by the Old Gods.

Oh, and are "freaky friday" styled bodyswaps possible and, if so, what pillar would that fall under?

Yep- there is more than one way to do this (as I believe you'll see in Y2), but the most common would be a combination of Astrology, Revision and Mastery.

At what age would execution be considered? After school years or would an unruly thirteen year old with massive knowledge of gates and mastery be in danger?

A lot of the adventures we have are demanding and quite a lot of adults are impressed but seeing as it's only the first year, does that mean that they're actually quite easy for someone older? Is the PC special or just luckier than most? And what are the average stats for a mage? I've often had quite high ones but at what point do they border Savant/Oozes Charisma/Man of Iron etc? Is there a limit? Do non-mages have lower or higher stats?

MadHatt;

At what age would execution be considered? After school years or would an unruly thirteen year old with massive knowledge of gates and mastery be in danger?

Any age, but you're more likely to be cloistered the younger you are (or the more influential your parents.)

A lot of the adventures we have are demanding and quite a lot of adults are impressed but seeing as it's only the first year, does that mean that they're actually quite easy for someone older? Is the PC special or just luckier than most?

In some cases, yes, but overall your Character is exactly as special as you make them be, if that makes sense. :)

And what are the average stats for a mage?

That really varies. As you continue in your career you'll find increasingly that while Attributes give you an edge, it's really Skills that matter the most. Attributes play an increasingly diminishing role in your success, as you go along, with some exceptions of course.

I've often had quite high ones but at what point do they border Savant/Oozes Charisma/Man of Iron etc? Is there a limit?

There's no limit, but 10-20 is more or less average. Going up from there would indicate increasingly special Attributes, as I recall. That said, Savant/Oozes Charisma/Man of Iron state really depends on your Skills and, possibly more importantly, how you use them. Attributes are just the potential of ability, not the expression of it.

Do non-mages have lower or higher stats?

That just depends on the non-mage. I would think that most of them would have higher Physical Attributes, and not as high Mental.

Sheesh MadHatt. Do you have to ask what they would do to me if people found out I was gating in Fire Beatles into every boy's drawers?laugh.gif

So about the libraries. Anything?

Also Pelia the clockmaker's daughter. She does have a last name right?

And to Adrian;

Stop reading my mind! I asked whether we could have a wolf for a familiar before and the answer was - No. Too dangerous. mad.gif

Leoshi - I don't know about your beetles but I definitely want a furry dragon to carry me around...(The NEverending StoooOOOrrrry....). That might be more obvious if less irritating for rivals...

How will Glory points be taken into account later on and will they influence anything besides what they already do? Will we get special exits for it?

Just be happy they are considering it now Leoshi!

Were some of the libraries in the main building? Actually, do the main building have a name? I think it may have been asked but, let us just admit it, 94 pages here and lord knows in the suggestions section... yeah, one of these days... maybe.

The stats were an interesting question, glad it was asked and answered now :)

What makes levitation so special in the first year? There was a lot of rumors of whether our PC is jumping high, or levitating or what not, and we can actually levitate in a few events if memory serves. And then there is that ball game in the square I think... the name eludes me... So, is levitation a special kind of magic? Is it frowned upon by professors (who mistakenly think that they can leave their study window open if its at a fourth floor height)? or is it just plain cool to be able to pull off? :)

Glory points have a larger social effect in Y2

Want to ... have to play Year 2 now ... -.-'

I just hope year 2 is not away a other RL year. ^^

Edit: Will there a way to ragain droped familiar in a later year when you have the ability to handle more then just one familiar? (I especial ask because of Pamela)

Adrian;

Teachers dislike Levitation and the ability to Fly because...well, imagine what *you'd* do with it, if you could levitate. Also, it's just plain cool. :)

Schwarzbart;

Great question! As of this moment, I believe the answer is no- you can't regain your old Familiar. It's a great idea, though, *maybe*, if there is time, we can do something with this. Maybe. :)

We're hammering away at Year 2, though! Still a lot to do, so I better not mention any dates or I'll be strung up by the Team and you guys. :)

A number of random, semi-related questions:

1. What would happen if a large group of students were to be discovered studying the forbidden arts? Would it be different if it was a school authority as opposed to a legal authority who discovered it? And, would this affect Academagia's reputation?

2. If a school like the Schohanwicht School was discovered, what would be done about it?

3. On that note, while it's been stated several times that a student who used a Gates spell in a dire situation would, probably, be given a stern talking to by a professor, would someone like the Guard Captain be willing to grant the same leniency?

4. How exactly does the familiar link with the doll work? Was the doll always alive, or was there something else at work?

5. Also on backgrounds, will combinations like Descended from Traitors and Descended from Heroes be taken into consideration?

6. And, how seriously are omens taken? Like say, if a baby was born under the sign that meant "EvilOverlordintheMaking!" what would be done about it?

7. Would there be any kind of contract in a mage apprenticeship (if a young mage didn't go to one of the magic schools)? If so, what kind and what penalties might there be for breaking it?

8. When Kazus college was open, was one of their required courses Ethics?

9. Can an Enchantment always be traced back to its caster, or can the caster erase his or her magical trace?

10. What classes might an Academagia student take if s/he wished to become a healer?

Glyn;

For your questions:

What would happen if a large group of students were to be discovered studying the forbidden arts? Would it be different if it was a school authority as opposed to a legal authority who discovered it? And, would this affect Academagia's reputation?

Yes, almost certainly it would be hushed up if the School discovered it. It would make sensational news if others discovered it, however. ;)

In both cases, though, it's likely that the punishments would be severe.

If a school like the Schohanwicht School was discovered, what would be done about it?

Almost certainly it would be destroyed, and its students imprisoned, cloistered or judged very harshly.

On that note, while it's been stated several times that a student who used a Gates spell in a dire situation would, probably, be given a stern talking to by a professor, would someone like the Guard Captain be willing to grant the same leniency?

Probably. :)

How exactly does the familiar link with the doll work? Was the doll always alive, or was there something else at work?

Something else. :)

Also on backgrounds, will combinations like Descended from Traitors and Descended from Heroes be taken into consideration?

You mean, will there be special Stories or interactions between the two? It's a great and fun idea, but not overly likely due to the amount of writing.

And, how seriously are omens taken? Like say, if a baby was born under the sign that meant "EvilOverlordintheMaking!" what would be done about it?

Hmmmm...in the countryside, omens are taken very seriously indeed. A child under that sign might be taken away from the parents and sent to the Temple, the local authorities or the Academagia. In city, there is more ready access to Astrologers who could determine the child's destiny and fate, and, more importantly, unravel it.

Would there be any kind of contract in a mage apprenticeship (if a young mage didn't go to one of the magic schools)? If so, what kind and what penalties might there be for breaking it?

No, not really; at least, not legally. Since imperial times, tutoring has been a paid position, with no real bonds of loyalty.

When Kazus college was open, was one of their required courses Ethics?

Haha! Almost certainly yes. :)

Can an Enchantment always be traced back to its caster, or can the caster erase his or her magical trace?

A caster can never fully erase their tracks, but they can work to disguise or distort it, and, if enough time passes, it can become nearly impossible to determine origin. The key thing is really: are the investigators asking the right questions? :)

What classes might an Academagia student take if s/he wished to become a healer?

Revision. There's a bit of healing, though, in every Pillar, including Gates and Mastery, but Revision is the easiest.

Slightly related to a question above. You can trace that a spell was cast on an item, also which spell I seem to recall.

Can you also gleam who exactly cast it? If you never met Mr. X and Mr X decided to cast a glamour on a river to make it look like chocolate. After several kids nearly drowned themselves in glee a student and teacher (Y and Z respectfully) decided to investigate and found where the spell was cast and how. Can they know who cast the spell? - Without knowing Mr. X's way of casting, would they ever be able to trace it back to him? or can they gleam something and then do a divination for him? Does Y have anything to say? Does Z have a prayer? Will Mr. X get away with the dastardly crime? Find out (when the Legate replies :P )