Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Ha! I did not even see your post. :)

"Wait, now. Lemme get this straight. So, what you're saying on skill maxes in Y2 are basically that there will be 2 limits?

Hmm... A soft limit which is raisable like we have in Y1, and a HARD limit which is set at 20?

Or are you saying that the soft skill maximum we have now will be set at 20 and furthermore items (from Y1 at least) will no longer give you a bonus to said skills once your total skill hits 20?

If it is the second case then how will passive abilities be affected by this limit of 20?"

Not quite. Suffice to say, if it raises your limit in Y1, it does not raise your limit beyond 20 in Year 2- you'll need something else to get past that barrier.

Passive Abilities are unaffected, and can raise your Skill beyond 20. However, since the base value determines your Abilities, you will still want your Maximums to increase.

Reitz's adventure is the one I'm curious about. He is the only one who actually forgets about it.

Ana, Neso and Iustus will probably be the ones who are more influenced by the adventures.

How many teachers are there in the Academagia? Not just for first year, but in general. I'm trying to estimate just how many more professors I'd have to befriend so that I could skip classes a lot. And whose favour to cash in.

Are relationship maximums changed or do those stop at 10 for year two?

Obviously if there are telescopes, there must be a basic understanding of refraction of light.

How common are eyeglasses? Either for short or farsightedness, and have bifocals been invented?

Would it be unheard of for a student to wear them as opposed to using magic to correct eyesight?

And what about magnifying glasses? And microscopes?

Creme;

Dentists are not common, although they do exist. More common are teeth-pullers. :)

Free;

Eyeglasses are also uncommon, but if you have the wealth, and live in a city, you can get them. Few wizards would use glasses to correct their vision, unless they were not particularly proficient in the necessary Pillars. A wizard might wear glasses as a fashion statement, of course.

Mad;

There are over 100 Professors, but many of these are visiting for research, and do not instruct Classes. The ones actively teaching are probably closer to 50, I would think, and change year to year.

Hmm, that brings an interesting point to light, if a visiting "professor" indeed only is there for research, then I would like to ask

1. If these nonteaching researching professors ever teach at all,

2. Are on the faculty payroll,

3. Are the subjects of said reseach aimed due to the researchers' tastes, the Academy's desires, or some combination thereof,

4. are nonteaching professors still available for students to pester on their field of knowledge, (At appropriate times of course),

5. Is the research communal based,(many participants in projects) or individual based? (leave one to their own devices),

6. Are researchers tied to colleges, or are they more academy centric, and

7. Will students get a chance to participate in some of these research efforts?

I'd also like to ask as to how one would best put together a nasty debilitating curse, (I am particularly fond of the static electricity curse example) and deliver it in a way that would be difficult to determine the source of it being magic?

I know about altering traces, but even if you alter a trace, it still seems obvious that magic was used. I want to make a curse that

A. Would be difficult to difficult to determine if magic was used at all, and

B. As a secondary objective, make it as resistant as possible to magical removal as possible without comprimizing A, AND/OR

C. Make it recurring so that a simple negation spell would only seem to negate it, only for it to return a few minutes later. (again without compromizing A)

Free;

1. If these nonteaching researching professors ever teach at all

Some do, but not usually.

2. Are on the faculty payroll

Yes.

3. Are the subjects of said reseach aimed due to the researchers' tastes, the Academy's desires, or some combination thereof

The Academy's desires.

4. are nonteaching professors still available for students to pester on their field of knowledge, (At appropriate times of course)

No, not really.

5. Is the research communal based,(many participants in projects) or individual based? (leave one to their own devices)

It depends.

6. Are researchers tied to colleges, or are they more academy centric

Academy-centric.

7. Will students get a chance to participate in some of these research efforts?

;)

I'd also like to ask as to how one would best put together a nasty debilitating curse, (I am particularly fond of the static electricity curse example) and deliver it in a way that would be difficult to determine the source of it being magic?

I know about altering traces, but even if you alter a trace, it still seems obvious that magic was used. I want to make a curse that

A. Would be difficult to difficult to determine if magic was used at all, and

B. As a secondary objective, make it as resistant as possible to magical removal as possible without comprimizing A, AND/OR

C. Make it recurring so that a simple negation spell would only seem to negate it, only for it to return a few minutes later. (again without compromizing A)

What you suggest is possible, although it's so multi-disciplinary as to be improbable for most every wizard. You would need a combination of Incantation, Negation, Glamour and Revision to do it, and quite possibly Astrology and Enchantment, too. Freespace's Shocking Curse, eh? :)

Free;

What you suggest is possible, although it's so multi-disciplinary as to be improbable for most every wizard. You would need a combination of Incantation, Negation, Glamour and Revision to do it, and quite possibly Astrology and Enchantment, too. Freespace's Shocking Curse, eh? :)

Indeed. I shall endeavour to achieve this ability. It again fits me perfectly.

I trust though that one would not have to be one of the Super-masters of any particular pillar to pull it off though?

This type of spell clearly shall be mine in future years. And It shall be called such because people will want to give the unfortunate recipient a lot of free space! (haha)

Good, good.

I've already foreseen Negation being my strongest pillar at the end, so I think I can manage the "Shocking Curse of Freespace" spell even so.

But I suppose you're referring to the many angry wizards who will want revenge on me for using it...? ;) I think they will find that the old saying rings true:

"A Jack of all trades; master of none, though often better than a master of one."

My character will be one of the wizards to go down in history like the masters of old, famous for the depth and breadth of the spells he can cast.

...Wait a minute, that sounds familiar... Where have I heard that one before...? ;)

A question about the other schools in the game:

In Y2, will we see more "academic" results? I mean, Right now Contu's school of incantation (and even a certain school in an alternate dimension) are more tools used to raise skills than true schools as far as the game engine is concerned. In both of these examples it seems fairly obvious that you're attending classes (excepting the irregular studies) and thus should receive grades for those. Naturally that might be a little daunting to balance, but I think it's a valid point. Is there a reason why you don't get grades for these schools or does it happen but is assumed to be at a least passing grade as it is not the focus?

Understood.

So here's a question... Do any gates.. That is.. A gateway/portal connecting two places yet exist from antiquity? And on a purely hypothetical level, if one was found,

How would you determine the age of the spell whose effects last centuries, and would it be illegal to walk through such a gate? (ignoring the lack of wisdom in a decision to enter a centuries old gate to who-knows-where)