Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I know, SB, but I was unsure if the items in question applied to only personal items and such.

Well, since this loophole is bigger than I thought, the next logical question is "why are certain items like rings and such that you can buy that improve gates illegal?"

Is it because they litterally confer knowledge as the game engine implies, or is it because they have no utility unless you already can cast something?

Huh, by the loophole logic, wouldn't Diavesque be legal, considering it(he?) has utility (albeit without practical uses outside of hurting others)?

Does use of Mastery also have loopholes? And will Orso ever go around to establishing that rule-skirting class? All of my characters would attend.

A "gate" that can be walked through is more along the lines of public/nature property if you ask me.

Kind of like if gold is forbidden but people aren't going to be harsh about you walking on the golden floor of a plaza compared to buying a gold watch / gold-smithing guide or shooting somebody with a gun made of gold (Divaesque)?

I suck at analogies :P

Actually the current line of conversation started on actual physical gates that ALSO used Gates magic. In this case they're two different things, (though in this context heavily related) This is no doubt the source of the confusion.

I suppose the pillar was named after the first usage and example of the magic, so the magical "Gates gate" is probably one of the oldest types of the pillar that was used.

So If Orthography and Enchantment are not true pillars, being folded into the others, though unique enough to keep their identity, What would Astrology be in relation to this?

Oh!

Um, Yes, that DID answer my question. I was fairly sure that Astrology was not a pillar. I wonder how I got that impression?

I guess that I have some deep subconscious disbelief that "fate" can be a scientific endeavour even in a fantasy game. :(

I guess that I have some deep subconscious disbelief that "fate" can be a scientific endeavour even in a fantasy game. :(

It can be messy. You have my sympathy!

Say, if you are fated to die but you cast an astrology spell to discover it and avert your fate, is your fate "to cast Astrology to avert your fate of death"? Is your fate of death real fate?* What if a planet goes Supernova and become a black hole that suck in every single another planets? Will Astrology stop working? Will Avlia be disbanded?

*: I haven't touched Astrology much, so maybe it doesn't work that way.

I think in a case like that, like kungfu panda, you meet your destiny on the path to avoid it.

Like on one of those evil overlord lists* I would rather live life to the fullest while trying to find some destiny that would overwrite the first entirely.

*Not that one has to be an evil overlord to take it's advice in common sense.

If any plant goes supernova and/or a black hole then I think astrology shouldn't be considered a science either cause I'm fairly sure that both outcomes are limited to stars only ;)

And if a black hole began sucking up everything in the universe I think we'd have bigger problems than having to find a new focus for Avlia ^^

Indeed.

I suspect that in that situation the Gates wizards will have the last laugh. Maybe they'd all come out of the woodwork and save some people, maybe not. Either way they win.

EXACTLY!! :)

Edit: Say, legate, most RL colleges have general coursework laid out and electives that are available are pretty well known before you even take them.

In Y2, Will we choose our courses at the very beginning of Y2 or after the summer break? And if after, then will we be at least aware of what choices we have before the break commences?

I ask this because I've been re-reading some of the earlier parts of this thread (quite daunting) and learned that one of the possible courses will be enspell (though maybe not even a y2 class), which of course is a skill we already had access to in Y1. My character is decent in enspell but it's not maxed out, so I want to know if

1. Will new Y2+ classes that have courses based on earier skills assume you know nothing about them, or assume that you've already raised them?

2. The prerequisites (if any) for any given class will be announced at the break so you have some time to match them if you're behind.

Ah Freespace. Forgotten again.rolleyes.gif

Angels and demons. Since there is a Golden Angelwings Mushroom, I assume there are angels and demons?

And now with Dentistry by CremePudding, can't I just revise my teeth to keep them clean? I don't trust that pudding wielding a pair of pliers.

Freespace, forgotten again!

"1. Will new Y2+ classes that have courses based on earier skills assume you know nothing about them, or assume that you've already raised them?"

It depends on the class.

"2. The prerequisites (if any) for any given class will be announced at the break so you have some time to match them if you're behind."

Yes, that will be true. :)

Ah Freespace. Forgotten again.rolleyes.gif

Angels and demons. Since there is a Golden Angelwings Mushroom, I assume there are angels and demons?

And now with Dentistry by CremePudding, can't I just revise my teeth to keep them clean? I don't trust that pudding wielding a pair of pliers.

Hey, I was just getting started on the spells! :angry:

I will have you know I am the best person to meet if Philippe punched your teeth out :angry:

(Seriously though, Golden Saintwings Mushroom does sound a bit weird...

Saints Cake, Dragon's Cake just can't match up with Angel Cake and Devil's Cake)

Sweet :)

Which reminds me, I haven't posed a question for a time, so:

Are there a resurgence of old literature, art, or the likes? Is there an interest in archaeology and has anything grand been uncovered? (The likes of which would fascinate half the world) - And which period is looked upon as being "grand"? (if any) :)