Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Thanks for the reply on the building question.

I got another question though, how do you describe which class you attend?

"Negation 1", "Negation A", or "negation for beginners?" or "Negation with Briardi" and hope people know that she teaches first-years? Maybe "Basic Negation"? "What you take negation for newbs? LOL" ;) something else?

- and if beginners, what is the name of the more advanced classes?

Beginner advanced intermediate expert master? - in that order?

My second part is still unasweared how many Students are usualy in year 4 / 5 classes who are not compulsory subject in a college? Is it something like 2-3 Students or more?

Also will there advanced classes that require to have good knowledge in at last 2 main skills?

If so can you already name some of them and they're skills requirement.

I'm guessing the dual skill prerequisites for classes are dealing with specialization. Tell me if I'm right here at least as far as the system works even if the specific example is invalid.

As an example, I'd say 90%+ of us learn Negation (half because of Negation's usefulness, the other half because of Briardi's awesomeness.)

Now, with Negation being useful for dealing with all the other pillars, it seems likely that specializing in Negation means knowing at least the basics of the other pillars so that you can use more spells specialized to negating each individual pillar rather than relying on general spells so that you can maximize the effectiveness. Hence requirements in Negation AND other pillars.

Now, if this is true then there might be *quite* a few new classes in Y2. Also, it seems to me that if this is true, a mage with a solid understanding of the foundations of Negation should be able use their skills in the other pillars to boost their abilities in (at least some of) these subsets of Negation.

Hmmm. Legate, if you can't tell us what they are, then can you at least tell us the general number of new classes available to Y2 students?

And while I'm off on this skill-related tangent.... I might add a question.

Even if for the most part you can get away with general spells, I'd like to ask a what-if scenario.

Say you're just minding your own business on campus, when out of the blue an evil Gates wizard comes supposedly out of nowhere and starts scaring everyone. Now, you might just know a teeny, tiny bit about Gates. So, if you just happen to know every exact pheme that this evil dastardly Gates wizard is using, and cast a non-illegal Negation spell that perfectly counters the Gates spell, would that get you in trouble? Or how does that work?

Around 20, huh?

Fortunately I can imagine at least a few would be non-magically focused. (ie. Athletics, history)

Even so, The sheer combination of skills is quite staggering! And I thought it was difficult to get at least a 10 on all the legal magically focused skills in Y1! If even just half of those classes correspond to new magical skills I can see my character becoming a hermit in his dorm room... At least it's motivation to not learn any forbidden magics. There's so much to learn but not enough time!

Ooh, Ooh!

If a spell "burns" fuel though the phemes, then does the size of the phemes drawn affect the potency of a spell? (provided you can squeeze them all in a pallette, of course. ;) )

Hm.

1. Is there a particular reason why sky pirates wear crimson bandanas?

2. What is the academy's policy on instructors participating in duels?

3. whist on a patrol, my character managed to catch Professor Sixt skulking about in the shadows. While he was able to deflect the situation by complimenting my character's magical abilities, I myself am not fooled. Will we be able to call the old man out on his actions the next time? At least if we have high courage?

4. Since you mentioned that a homunculus would basically be a type of familiar, I am curious if you couldn't elaborate? I still think of the Full Metal Alchemist ones which could (mostly) easily pass as a human.

5. I know that with the Regents, just because they are the head, does not mean they are the absolute most skilled with their colleges skills. (*cough*Vernin*cough*) But even so, It would be fair to say that as a rule they are, yes?

6. Regarding the Y1 Professors, Apart from the Regents (and Orso), I'm not sure if any of the other professors are tied to a college or just to the academy in general. Well, I guess professor Knoht is not tied to a single college being a long-term substitute and all, but that's it. Would Professor Viada be associated with Aranaz for example?

7.I caught a reference that the time pheme has many permutations. I will assume this means there are many ways to draw this pheme. Are there other phemes that share this peculiar attribute and does that affect spell casting in any way?

Free;

1. Is there a particular reason why sky pirates wear crimson bandanas?

Other than they like the color, no.

2. What is the academy's policy on instructors participating in duels?

Frowned upon. It happens anyway, of course.

3. whist on a patrol, my character managed to catch Professor Sixt skulking about in the shadows. While he was able to deflect the situation by complimenting my character's magical abilities, I myself am not fooled. Will we be able to call the old man out on his actions the next time? At least if we have high courage?

Hahaha! Only if such an Exit is written...;)

4. Since you mentioned that a homunculus would basically be a type of familiar, I am curious if you couldn't elaborate? I still think of the Full Metal Alchemist ones which could (mostly) easily pass as a human.

Hmmm, no comment. :)

5. I know that with the Regents, just because they are the head, does not mean they are the absolute most skilled with their colleges skills. (*cough*Vernin*cough*) But even so, It would be fair to say that as a rule they are, yes?

Typically.

6. Regarding the Y1 Professors, Apart from the Regents (and Orso), I'm not sure if any of the other professors are tied to a college or just to the academy in general. Well, I guess professor Knoht is not tied to a single college being a long-term substitute and all, but that's it. Would Professor Viada be associated with Aranaz for example?

No, not really, apart from any history or friendships they have.

7.I caught a reference that the time pheme has many permutations. I will assume this means there are many ways to draw this pheme. Are there other phemes that share this peculiar attribute and does that affect spell casting in any way?

Yes, there are quite a few other Phemes that have this particular property. Some of them you will see in the future.

I seem to remember this vaguely but what do we do in the winter months? Are there any classes still running or any projects we could help out with?

Also, something I just got recently, how in the world did the PC ended up with a (faux) DRAGON for a familiar? And how did the school actually allowed it to stay on campus?!

Leoshi. About faux dragons...

You do know what the word faux means, right? They are dragons as much as french fries are French.

And Legate, regarding #3, the event was written so that only after you pick an exit (I suspect successfully) do you find out that it was in fact Sixt. As soon as you find out he starts slathering on how awesome you are and he'll be absolutely sure to tell the other professors that you're so special. ;)

Needless to say I'm not fooled, but then the event ends and we've no way to call him out on it. :(

A few more questions:

I know you said that due to the way the autosave at the end of the game works, we'll have to do the final day over again. I would like to know if any adventures that were completed on that final day of the game will need to be redone. I completed Emilia Strolin's adventure on the final day. I tried to complete it sooner but the second to last step gave me real problems.

At the ending of my most recent game, my character was pressed on what he thought was the best. The response was the Theory of Gates, of course. Now I'm not interested in the (most probably major) reprecussions of confessing an interest in magic that can get you executed. I AM interested in the persuasions set forth by the player character. Has Gates in the past only been limited to summoning monsters and such? It seems to me that at least the possibility of summoning medicines and healers and such would have been attempted in the preban era. Or is this supposed to tell us that the very history of Gates has been supressed and people have no real idea what was done in the past? Truths being mixed with superstitions and myths and that sort of thing.

Also, while I suppose I can understand the mastery side of the equation on this, Why is even the Theory of Gates forbidden? If the danger of botches and the Chaos Factor were TRULY the only reason for the ban, then studying something which does not in itself expose people to those dangers should be okay.

You know, I just thought of something. if the bans do get repealed in say Y5, it'd almost be worthless to a player character. Oh sure supposedly it's okay to use now, but if you had studied them when they were forbidden and have a skill level of 40 or so in them, are you REALLY going to apply that knowledge fully right out of the gate? I could just see the eyes of the professors if you tried to petition for some Master-level Mastery class. You'd still have to hide that knowledge for years until it became common knowledge again. And are you really going to pretend and take those beginner courses now? Pffft. Regardless of which way the game goes on this subject, I can see a lot of cloak and dagger stuff going on, and though we'll only get a [redacted] out of the Legate, I can't shake the feeling that we will be getting exposed to a lot more of the proscribed arts whether or not we choose to learn them. :)

Freespace;

"I know you said that due to the way the autosave at the end of the game works, we'll have to do the final day over again. I would like to know if any adventures that were completed on that final day of the game will need to be redone. I completed Emilia Strolin's adventure on the final day. I tried to complete it sooner but the second to last step gave me real problems."

That is going to be a problem, as far as I know- you can't redo the Y1 Adventures in Y2. :(

You'll begin Y2 without completing that Adventure. :(

"At the ending of my most recent game, my character was pressed on what he thought was the best. The response was the Theory of Gates, of course. Now I'm not interested in the (most probably major) reprecussions of confessing an interest in magic that can get you executed. I AM interested in the persuasions set forth by the player character. Has Gates in the past only been limited to summoning monsters and such? It seems to me that at least the possibility of summoning medicines and healers and such would have been attempted in the preban era. Or is this supposed to tell us that the very history of Gates has been supressed and people have no real idea what was done in the past? Truths being mixed with superstitions and myths and that sort of thing."

The history has been suppressed.

"Also, while I suppose I can understand the mastery side of the equation on this, Why is even the Theory of Gates forbidden? If the danger of botches and the Chaos Factor were TRULY the only reason for the ban, then studying something which does not in itself expose people to those dangers should be okay."

Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise...;)

"You know, I just thought of something. if the bans do get repealed in say Y5, it'd almost be worthless to a player character. Oh sure supposedly it's okay to use now, but if you had studied them when they were forbidden and have a skill level of 40 or so in them, are you REALLY going to apply that knowledge fully right out of the gate? I could just see the eyes of the professors if you tried to petition for some Master-level Mastery class. You'd still have to hide that knowledge for years until it became common knowledge again. And are you really going to pretend and take those beginner courses now? Pffft. Regardless of which way the game goes on this subject, I can see a lot of cloak and dagger stuff going on, and though we'll only get a [redacted] out of the Legate, I can't shake the feeling that we will be getting exposed to a lot more of the proscribed arts whether or not we choose to learn them."

Who knows. :)

Freespace;

That is going to be a problem, as far as I know- you can't redo the Y1 Adventures in Y2. :(

You'll begin Y2 without completing that Adventure. :(

Wait! I thought we would be given time for completing certain adventures in Y2. If the autosave didn't record the last day, then shouldn't the adventure be marked as incomplete, then? Unless Friend adventures aren't important enough.... :(