Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Whoops! :)

"I seem to remember this vaguely but what do we do in the winter months? Are there any classes still running or any projects we could help out with?"

Do you mean, summer months? Those of you who remain in Mineta might be involved in some projects, but otherwise no, not really.

Also, something I just got recently, how in the world did the PC ended up with a (faux) DRAGON for a familiar? And how did the school actually allowed it to stay on campus?!"

Well, it's a Faux Dragon- not a true Dragon at all. :)

I meant winter months, after the Cheimare exams. I vaguely remember someone saying he/she noticed that we learn nothing during these months so I assume there are no classes

And about the faux dragon, I would have expected a "Kill on sight" policy with the people of this time period.

And I was wondering, how many of the First Years are rich? Just very curious, not thinking anything illegal!

And now finally, uh, how colourful will the languages get once we hit Y5? Because I learnt from a certain game (franchise) that some people of those days had colourful languages.

Example: Caterina Sforza's speech happy.gif

Leoshi;

Ah yes- that is a mini winter break, and indeed there are no classes. Some projects, though.

Faux Dragons are kill on sight, but in a place like Mineta, which is more cultured and urbane, it's dramatically less of a problem.

Many of the First Years are rich. Most, in fact.

This particular game is probably not going to get *too* colorful, although you are right- people of a corresponding period are still people. :)

Often I find one can use colorful euphemisms in lieu of.. slightly more colorful language.

This includes phrases whose meanings have been dulled with time, though are still valid in modern days. Using them in a past setting can in fact be a powerful statement of the kind of person they are without offending the blue noses.

Example of this would be Blimey. This kind of thing sounds pretty harmless today, but is a truncated old way of saying "God blind me" and in that context actually really is a curse. Not something that would be said in polite company = colorful language.

I love etymology so using things like this appeals to my nature.

I am loathe to post twice in a row but if I edit the last post it'll probably be ignored. :(

I've blazed through about half of the familiar Adventure I've been working on, doubling the size of the file it's in. Good stuff!

I've been poking through the lores and such, and may I ask as to why the particularly potent Illegal ancient magic texts always seem to be in ancient Bassan? I suppose it's just because the area that spoke it being outside of Elumia proper would not be so quick to destroy all its old texts...

Would a store in Oursouk openly sell items of questionable legality? Or just in the back? Not that Pebbles will be buying anything like that. ;) Just fluff for the adventure.

And I suppose it's a given since it's Gates, but I just want to doublecheck. A Gates spell for teleportation (especially one cast by that person I asked you about) would certainly teleport the recipient, but what about things that happen to be very close by? Say, an item right by your feet?

Also, In regards to Y2 save imports. I'm still trying to find a workaround for my missing adventure as I don't have a way to redo that last week. Would it be possible for me to do a *manual* resave of my save? (without trying to play past Kaliri, of course) or does Y2 completely disregard the results of the day?

Free;

Your surmise is correct- Gates is not illegal in Oursouk, so texts prepared there can find their way into Elumia.

It's unlikely, though, that shops would sell magical items, except as a curiosity. Unlike in Elumia, there are no "commercial" mages there.

It depends on the Spell what is teleported. It's possible to do what you suggested, however.

I can't be 100% sure at this time, but I strongly believe it disregards the entire day.

It's unlikely, though, that shops would sell magical items, except as a curiosity. Unlike in Elumia, there are no "commercial" mages there.

It depends on the Spell what is teleported. It's possible to do what you suggested, however.

Hmm. I actually finished the familiar adventure save for these two points! (RECORD TIME!)

I still need to get off my butt and finish the player adventure before it's done though.

As far as these two points go, I'd like some clarification.

1. I reasoned that in order to send something to Oursouk you'd need someplace that advertised or at least could be found in some register or be recommended by someone. Given that we are dealing with something magical in nature, and how you likely found the place to send it to, it would have to deal in magic in some way. I thought up a man and gave him a "magical sounding" title. He very easily can fit the mold of a "muggle" curiosity seller who sounds magical to drum up interest, but if this is merely a curiosity shop, then I need to know if Mastery/Gates items in Oursouk are in general merely seen as simply another magical item, and IF THIS IS SO then it would be perfectly normal to see such items lying out in the open in this curiosity shop. Does this make sense?

2. So basically, a spell which might have been used to teleport a rock amidst rubble would have been easier to do if it was just a general spell that took everything in an area, yeah? ;)

Ugh. So close to the end now! I just need to end the adventure! I already know how I want it to go, it's just so much work to fill in the blanks! Lazyness is overtaking me! <_<

But in all seriousness, I might be finished today... Or in a month... Quick, someone give me some inspiration before the fire goes out! :D

What are the odds of us having an adventure for Gates that includes teleportation to Oursouk? None, close to none? Maybe in later years? Will we have

adventures for the illegal magic, not just the normal ones?

The mages in Oursouk that learn Gates...do they also go to Schohanwicht? Seeing as how it's in a different plane, I imagine it's not inconvenient for anyone to go there to study, but just how widespread is the knowledge of it where it's legal?

What are the odds of us having an adventure for Gates that includes teleportation to Oursouk?

It's not quite the same as what you have in mind, really, but I DID just post something in the writer's corner which has an adventure including Oursouk, an insane mage, and teleporting. In that order. ;)

It's not quite the same as what you have in mind, really, but I DID just post something in the writer's corner which has an adventure including Oursouk, an insane mage, and teleporting. In that order. ;)

I love that familiar...

Finally one that is supposedly worse than Pamela. Personally I'd love a talking rock. It also made me remember this comic:

2011-10-17-pet-rock.png

Also ...aww...wish we had more information on illegal magic in later years. Considering that the punishments should get serious, I'd love more opportunities at actually using said magic, else my characters would be quite tame mad wizards.

A less spoilery question then: are pims international currency or do merchants just make the exchange?

Yeah, I think that a familiar like Mr. Pebbles is just what Pamela needs to really shine!

Okay, sure... she's not the best familiar ever, but most of her annoyingness comes from the desire to be accepted. (trying too hard and failing) If you do her adventure that old behavior is no longer necessary and I can't wait to see what her Y2 adventure is.

Whereas Mr. Pebbles already believes that he is accepted, and is oblivious to anything that says the contrary. No chance at character growth but it's okay because it's funny. ;)

Well I hadn't even considered that it wouldn't be possible! :(

I'm not even aware of a way to swap them in Y1, and I thought it would be a nonissue to set a flag for pebbles in Y2...

D'OH!