Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Questions! Are there ways to exorcise a ghost? Or many ghost? I imagine a class of magic related to it like Astrology since Gates is kinda hard to ... get a hold of...

This has nothing to do with Pamela thank you!

And Freespace, would Sir like something to go with all that DOUGH? (Lame joke. Air assassinate me now please)

Ghosts can show up without gates, I would have dug up the reference but honestly it could be anywhere in 100+ pages of random questions. I remember cause I used ghosts the Temple adventure a time back and posed a similar question.

And you could exorcise them by destroying their spirit-anchor in the world. (I am guessing this can be physical and more clear up their regrets or whatever. In case they were summoned... perhaps it may be a real object, or by killing the mage who did the summoning.)

I remember the second part there, from somewhere on the forum. But even though I've surely read all 121+ pages of this thread at one point or another the first part does not ring a bell.

Oh well... :)

1. I have questions. I thought that anything could serve as a casting device, from wands to knives, to fingertips. Now, I got the impression that all wands have some magical core of some sort that I guess helps focus magic in some way. Is this strictly necessary or is the ease of putting some core in a wand easier to do than a knive or something and thus makes wands far more common? And another thing... A certain someone seemed as though she would never be able to use magic without a wand... Is this because that the difficulty of doing more than a pheme or two without one is the realm of the masters? SPOILER! I'd have thought that Ana Flavia could have found some temporary replacement knife or baton or something once she disposed of her wand.

2. Hmmm. I suppose it's a rather grim subject, but how often have students actually died at the Academagia? I imagine that they make every precaution to that sort of thing but even so... Was the death rate higher Pre-Gates ban, and if it was, was it attributed to that or rather to lack of medical knowledge at the time?

3. What category does Enspell fall into in relation to the proper pillars?

4. The Mallen-Star Statue. As an Aranaz student, I'd like to know a bit more about it than the fact that Durand students like to deface it. :) I suppose you'll be revealing more about the history in future years, but can you at least describe it a bit? I get the impression that it looks like a Mangled old fallen star. I know that can't be right....

5. While I've noted that the game has referenced a few mages as Masters of Gates, I don't think I've seen any mages so titled for the other pillars. I suppose a few of them would qualify even if they were never specifically stated as such (Estiban Contu in incantation comes to mind) Will we get to see a bit on what some of these masters of the legal arts would be capable of?

7. How does the Legate of the Academagia get selected for the job? Is it an outside appointment or is one of the faculty promoted?

Free;

1. I have questions. I thought that anything could serve as a casting device, from wands to knives, to fingertips. Now, I got the impression that all wands have some magical core of some sort that I guess helps focus magic in some way. Is this strictly necessary or is the ease of putting some core in a wand easier to do than a knive or something and thus makes wands far more common? And another thing... A certain someone seemed as though she would never be able to use magic without a wand... Is this because that the difficulty of doing more than a pheme or two without one is the realm of the masters? SPOILER! I'd have thought that Ana Flavia could have found some temporary replacement knife or baton or something once she disposed of her wand.

Ana Flavia is the center of several issues. No comment! Otherwise, yes, some materials and shapes (not really cores) are more appropriate to certain kinds of magics than others.

2. Hmmm. I suppose it's a rather grim subject, but how often have students actually died at the Academagia? I imagine that they make every precaution to that sort of thing but even so... Was the death rate higher Pre-Gates ban, and if it was, was it attributed to that or rather to lack of medical knowledge at the time?

I doubt anyone has done any research into death rates pre or post ban, but Students do die, and probably a figure of one a year is about right...

3. What category does Enspell fall into in relation to the proper pillars?

It is closest to Enchantment, but falls under none.

4. The Mallen-Star Statue. As an Aranaz student, I'd like to know a bit more about it than the fact that Durand students like to deface it. I suppose you'll be revealing more about the history in future years, but can you at least describe it a bit? I get the impression that it looks like a Mangled old fallen star. I know that can't be right....

Mmmm...that's *kind* of right. You'll learn more in the future...;)

5. While I've noted that the game has referenced a few mages as Masters of Gates, I don't think I've seen any mages so titled for the other pillars. I suppose a few of them would qualify even if they were never specifically stated as such (Estiban Contu in incantation comes to mind) Will we get to see a bit on what some of these masters of the legal arts would be capable of?

I imagine yes.

7. How does the Legate of the Academagia get selected for the job? Is it an outside appointment or is one of the faculty promoted?

In the current times, the Legate selects their successor.

A death per year is average, huh... :(

Is it spread across the student population, or does it tend to happen among the older or younger students?

I can't imagine how Orso would deal with the parents every time it must happen...

Will there be a spell that can turn the caster (or the target) temporary into a animal (i.e. a Eagle or a Toad ^^)?

If so what difficulty would that be and would it Revision or some other magic?

Edit:

In the current times, the Legate selects their successor.

How is it handled if the curent Legate was pushed out of office as I expect it happened with Mjolnir.

Will there be a chance that the player will selected for this at the end of year 5?

Where some extrem good Students allowed to skip one year in the past beside that some students are allowed to direct enter into year 2? (I know its nothing the player can da as it would need a complet new set of NPC Students)

Will we see new NPC Students in year 2?

Freespace;

Usually, the older Students.

Schwarzbart;

There are indeed Revision (and Glamour) Spells which affect transformations. They can be fairly simple- it looks like you'll be doing some of that in Y2, not sure.

If the Legate is pushed out of office, it's decided by the Faculty. Actually, it's a bit more complex- it involves the Praetexta Court, but it's mostly the Faculty.

No comment about the selection question!

Although I doubt the Player will ever be able to do it for the reasons you mention, yes, it is possible to skip years.

No comment on new NPC Students! :)

Schwarzbart;

The Legate has said that we will see new NPCs, and that to get them will depend at least partly on adventures.

Nothing was said on when this would happen but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least one of them was in Y2. ;)

Can the Shade manipulate their form at will into complex forms? Can they be a puddle or a complex design? Its adventure said that it could hide in the character's pocket or shoe (as far as I remember) so could they model themselves to look like anything and anyone, albeit a dark, insubstantial version of it?

What would be the reaction of the common folk if their shadow started to talk or walk? Could the player get in trouble for playing with their shade on campus or in Mineta?

Also, what is exactly the extent of medicine knowledge? For example, considering mental health, would schizophrenia be considered a real disease with a name or ...say, being pestered by fairies or something?

Mad;

Can the Shade manipulate their form at will into complex forms? Can they be a puddle or a complex design? Its adventure said that it could hide in the character's pocket or shoe (as far as I remember) so could they model themselves to look like anything and anyone, albeit a dark, insubstantial version of it?

The Shade cannot change it's form, but it can hide in virtually any size of shadow, as I understand it.

What would be the reaction of the common folk if their shadow started to talk or walk? Could the player get in trouble for playing with their shade on campus or in Mineta?

You could definitely get into trouble, although at least the people of the Upper City are fairly used to strange and magical things.

Also, what is exactly the extent of medicine knowledge? For example, considering mental health, would schizophrenia be considered a real disease with a name or ...say, being pestered by fairies or something?

This varies on where you are, but in general, it's not very advanced from the European Renaissance. That said, unlike the real Europe, there are actual cures for a wide variety of ailments. :)

[rant] I like staying at least 1 Windows version behind. Having just moved to 7 with some major hiccups, I can't really say I like it, but at least after it's tamed it's usable. I took a peek at 8 and let's just say that if future windows are going to be glorified tablet OSes forced down our throats I'll finally move to linux. I've been threatening this for years, but now I already have it installed. The point is coming where you won't be able to do anything with windows. A few years ago I could have set up a dual boot system with windows in my sleep, and now I had to relearn everything in Linux. Take a look at my desktop. I don't need any #%@$ing metro buttons or fancy aero looks, or start "orbs" with completely fancy ways of doing that which I could already do, nor do I need some stupid prompt telling me what an .exe file can do if you're stupid. Take a look at my desktop. It wouldn't look that out of place 15 years ago. haha!

sdesktop.jpg

The more microsoft attempts to please everyone (and make an environment that these people can use without fragging their system), the more they alienate people like me. XP was a beautiful OS, save a few nags. 98 was PERFECT in it's day. I actually have a highly modified 98se system which breaks the limits of a DOS based OS in so many ways. 1+GB of RAM, a modern HTML5 capable web browser, etc. etc. *sigh* I'm getting old. I'm not even 30! [/rant]

Questions.

1. I remember reading that magic was supposed to have a color associated with it. Is that still in the setting and just not mentioned, or is it fully dropped?

2. Is there concrete in this setting? given how it was "lost" for several centuries in real life I'm curious.

3. I'm writing a non-pebbles story, and I was wondering. I want my character to learn "The Shocking Curse of Free Space" but I acknowledge that it really shouldn't be a Y1 spell. I'd really like it to be a very advanced Y2 spell (kind of like puppet master in Y1) and this adventure in Y1 is sort of a prerequisite to that end. Is that within reason?

Freespace;

Yeah, that was pretty much my desktop, 15 years ago. :)

Questions.

1. I remember reading that magic was supposed to have a color associated with it. Is that still in the setting and just not mentioned, or is it fully dropped?

I don't recall that magic particular has a color associated with it- the Colleges certainly do, but Glamour magic can be any color.

2. Is there concrete in this setting? given how it was "lost" for several centuries in real life I'm curious.

Yes, there are mortars.

3. I'm writing a non-pebbles story, and I was wondering. I want my character to learn "The Shocking Curse of Free Space" but I acknowledge that it really shouldn't be a Y1 spell. I'd really like it to be a very advanced Y2 spell (kind of like puppet master in Y1) and this adventure in Y1 is sort of a prerequisite to that end. Is that within reason?

Sure. :)

Yeah, from disabling breadcrumbs to replacing (or even enabling) the start menu, I have to tame Windows before I can use it now. If I stick with it for win 9 or whatever they call it (because I'm not touching 8) I'll have to make a full checklist of every asinine thing required to tame it. Really sad. :(

What's going to happen is one day I'll no longer be able to work on other's PCs because the GUI will be totally foreign to me. :(

Save perhaps the game mechanics, there really isn't anything holding the industrious student back. Trading a few favors might get you a tutor with the upperclassmen and maybe their spell progression could rub off a bit on you :)

(Or you could just learn stuff from outside school, become part-time apprentice to a mage of a specialization)

I did it again didn't I? I promise I don't mean to sound like I know it all! (I just do (in either case :P ))

As far as OSes go, I really can't see much improvement past XP. Sure they might have some things under the hood different but I think they screwed up as much as they got right.

I have 3 real computers. My main PC, Psychodellia, is a computer I want to keep as up to date as I can bear. I greatly prefer vista to 7, but that opinion is rare, and so I upgraded to Win7 for gaming's sake really. I finally found a game that couldn't run on Vista. I built This PC myself and while it's not cutting the razor's edge of gaming, (though it came fairly close when it was brand new) it can outdo around 98%, so I'm content. And I planned it so I can upgrade just about anything on it when prices go down. Whoo!

My secondary PC, Freaky, is an XP machine and will probably stay that way. XP is more than good enough for just about anything, but eventually it'll go the way of 98. It'll just take longer because the NT base hasn't changed nearly as radical as what happened to DOS. :( Freaky has had more hardware issues than anybody here would believe. From its primary hard drive failing, (during it's sortof globe trotting from Chicago to Arkansas, to Hawaii, and back) Ram failures, (probably due to dust in transit) The floppy drive failed, (bought it second hand, and it never worked right.) the Second Hard drive failure (the plastic tab that sata cables connect to busted) Graphics card replacement, (to update it's old AGP card, which suddenly couldn't play any modern games, to the best possible) PSU failure, (500W failed mostly due to graphics card update, but also because I like adding PCI extensions) and the Wireless adapter's antenna broke somewhere in there too.

I only recently got Freaky running again for the umpteenth time. It's my 32bit machine and the first PC I ever built, and I practically rebuilt it once over again. It can still edge out even my grandfather's best economy machines, of which he picks up now and again. (it's amazing what you can pick up for $50 today)

My Third PC, Alexis, is a decent notebook/laptop which is a veteran of 2 submarine deployments, and while not especially outstanding, it can play nonintensive games and also DVD movies like the best of them, which was the primary reason I bought it. It runs Vista but not by choice. Vista is a poor OS for laptops because of the system requirements. Only on Psycodellia did I choose Vista (12GB of ram isn't depleted so easily) And even then I really wanted XP64 bit. I chose against it because Drivers for XP64 were few and far between. I suppose that some drivers could be backported and even more done so manually, but I wasn't going to take that chance on a gaming machine.

I also had another earlier laptop which ran XP but the motherboard went bad and I cannibalized it.

Oh no, I'm going on a rant again. Well, I'll finish up with complaining about how modern systems have no place for "antiquated equipment." Oh sure the floppy disk is old, but you should have one for posterity if for no other reason. If you are willing to find a motherboard manufacturer that includes a FDD controller chip, then you should be able to use that chip to it's full potential, yes? (the hardware supports two drives. I've looked it up.) NO, says the motherboard manufacturer! "One is good enough for you. Buy a thumb drive" they say! Even though all that is needed is an option to change a single byte in the CMOS they refuse! "Why do you need that? it's not "modern!" I've got plenty of stuff that isn't modern and it's just easier (or should be) to use a 1.44MB and a 360KB floppy in tandem. If I want to do it, then who are you to say what I can and cannot do!?

There! I said it! I've spent days trying to get that single byte edited manually but it's not easy on a 64bit system. :(

Anyway, back to the subject. After The Mister Pebbles issue I think it's better to ask if you even think there might be a problem, just to be on the safe side.

All right! Enough Ranting about the failures of Computers. I've reread the forum and have new Questions... :) I've got a lot of them! :)

1. What is the name of that game involving Gates, where you summon and protect a chalice?

2. In the description of one ability or other, the game says that when you get annoyed others can see fire phemes drift into focus. Is this hyperbole, or... Dragon-style casting? :) (If there was a pallette of course)

3. At what point in time was Orthography folded into the other pillars?

4. In Y2 will we get the opportunity to go to town uniform-less? ;) And on that note, would revising your uniform to not looks like your uniform count for getting you in trouble? (probably so just because but...)

5. Can the item registry make mistakes? I mean, can they goof up and misidentify an item? And why are they bound to secrecy? Is it because if people know what terrors their items are they might be more inclined to turn them in?

6. I know about Aranaz and Durand's rivalry, but I haven't seen much in the way of the other college's feuds. And I mean it's really REALLY hard to imagine a college like Avila with feminine undertones having a traditional rivalry with Godina and their athletics. Yeah they're dissimilar, but I don't see the connection, were their namesakes rivals or something?

7. If a mage was suspected of Gates magic, and then suddenly disappeared.. ;) Would any assumptions be made about said mage, or does "innocent until proven guilty" apply? If said mage actually becaume a fugitive, how would the authorities go about chasing the Gates user?

8. Were the Academagia's preban proscribed colleges meant for the same agegroups as the others? Or were they courses for somewhat older students? Did the idea that "Gates should never be practiced, but if it ever theoretically had to be it should only be done by the most powerful and experienced wizards" appear only after it was banned? (I can see that the current practicioners do not feel that way but that is another story!)

9. Why does the Academagia still have a "forbidden section"? Wouldn't it have been destroyed outright? Or at least moved to some place where it wouldn't be so easily found?

10. If Roman numerals are used in Elumia, are they purely additive, or can they be subractive as well? (ie. IIII instead of IV, MIM instead of MCMXCVIIII)

11. Who is the Scarlet Avenger? The setting's version of Robin Hood meets Arsène Lupin? (the 3rd :P )

12. Presumably, if telegraph has been invented, (even if it's not used) there must be some was of communicating via it. Since Samuel Morse is a person in our world, he couldn't have invented a code for it. What do they do?

13. Do the islands (especially Meril) cast a shadow on cyve? or are they too far away and the light diffuses any shadow?

14. How fast was the destruction of Monteon? Overnight? If there was an evacuation flotilla, I imagine it took some time to happen (at least a couple of days) for the people to organize. From the Lores, I could guess most of it (thankfully) fell into the oceans of Cyve. was there observable tidal waves on the surface, or any chunks land on... land?

15. Where did the Evacuees resettle? Did they disperse all across Elumia?

16. What is the lifespan of a Dragon? What was the oldest known dragon? I can imagine that some would be quite ancient, and especially so if a human can live upwards of at least 300 in setting.

17. I just thought of something. If Dragons taught humans all magic, then wouldn't there be other magics that they had which they did not share? And I also imagine that Dragons don't suffer the Gates Chaos factor, do they? :(

18. What do dragons eat? And if you were to eat one (properly prepared, of course) What would Dragon taste like?

19. Given the Dragon's nature, I am curious. Did they themselves prefer Mastery, or did they attempt other ways to instill obedience to their slaves/servants? Did it depend on the Dragon?

20. What would a Pim look like? Like a older pre-decimalization British Penny? What would be stamped on one?

21. Is there anything going on in the Imperial palace anymore? If a band of evil no-do-gooders can (temporarily) take it over, I wonder. I suppose the Sphinx would talk to people mostly out of boredom due to the lack of activity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sphinx's supposed to be guardians using puzzles rather than... Book-keepers? ;)

22. Hmm, as a hypothetical scenario, let's say that Enspell is probably a 3rd year class. Now, you're hot stuff and in the right college for it and so get to take it a year early... which lets you take a 4th year class early in your 3rd year... So if we keep going like this, would we be able to take an otherwise unavailable class in Y5, or will we be forced to move on to something else? :(

23. Will we be able to use professor "favors" for more things later? I suppose learning a few skills might be nice, but There'd have to be something more than that for ME to cash them in.

24. Candies of the gnawing void.... Are not illegal?

25. What is the people's opionion of Queen Icanyke? Since there is still a statue of her In Godina Park, she can't be reviled even though supposedly she could not be all that different from modern "reviled" Gates users.

Free;

Here you go:

1. What is the name of that game involving Gates, where you summon and protect a chalice?

I'm not sure. :)

2. In the description of one ability or other, the game says that when you get annoyed others can see fire phemes drift into focus. Is this hyperbole, or... Dragon-style casting? (If there was a pallette of course)

No comment.

3. At what point in time was Orthography folded into the other pillars?

Several hundred years ago, before the Cataclysm, as I recall.

4. In Y2 will we get the opportunity to go to town uniform-less? And on that note, would revising your uniform to not looks like your uniform count for getting you in trouble? (probably so just because but...)

I don't believe so, no. A good thought, though!

5. Can the item registry make mistakes? I mean, can they goof up and misidentify an item? And why are they bound to secrecy? Is it because if people know what terrors their items are they might be more inclined to turn them in?

It probably has a few errors in it. :)

6. I know about Aranaz and Durand's rivalry, but I haven't seen much in the way of the other college's feuds. And I mean it's really REALLY hard to imagine a college like Avila with feminine undertones having a traditional rivalry with Godina and their athletics. Yeah they're dissimilar, but I don't see the connection, were their namesakes rivals or something?

It has more to do with their respective Pillars. You'll see their rivalries come and go...;)

7. If a mage was suspected of Gates magic, and then suddenly disappeared.. Would any assumptions be made about said mage, or does "innocent until proven guilty" apply? If said mage actually becaume a fugitive, how would the authorities go about chasing the Gates user?

Assumptions. Innocent until proven guilty, as a legal tenet, does not formally exist. Notices about the mage would be sent out to the cities and courts.

8. Were the Academagia's preban proscribed colleges meant for the same agegroups as the others? Or were they courses for somewhat older students? Did the idea that "Gates should never be practiced, but if it ever theoretically had to be it should only be done by the most powerful and experienced wizards" appear only after it was banned? (I can see that the current practicioners do not feel that way but that is another story!)

Same age groups.

9. Why does the Academagia still have a "forbidden section"? Wouldn't it have been destroyed outright? Or at least moved to some place where it wouldn't be so easily found?

Good question. :)

10. If Roman numerals are used in Elumia, are they purely additive, or can they be subractive as well? (ie. IIII instead of IV, MIM instead of MCMXCVIIII)

Arabic numerals are currently used, and Roman numerals had the same problems they did in the real world.

11. Who is the Scarlet Avenger? The setting's version of Robin Hood meets Arsène Lupin? (the 3rd )

Hahaha! You'll have to see Lores for that, but I believe you're more or less correct. :)

12. Presumably, if telegraph has been invented, (even if it's not used) there must be some was of communicating via it. Since Samuel Morse is a person in our world, he couldn't have invented a code for it. What do they do?

They use a rudimentary code of a few standard signals. It's not a developed transcription language.

13. Do the islands (especially Meril) cast a shadow on cyve? or are they too far away and the light diffuses any shadow?

They cast a shadow. :)

14. How fast was the destruction of Monteon? Overnight? If there was an evacuation flotilla, I imagine it took some time to happen (at least a couple of days) for the people to organize. From the Lores, I could guess most of it (thankfully) fell into the oceans of Cyve. was there observable tidal waves on the surface, or any chunks land on... land?

It was a matter of hours, and essentially those that were near ships, or away on business, survived. I imagine a tsunami was observed. :)

15. Where did the Evacuees resettle? Did they disperse all across Elumia?

For the most part, they did not resettle, as few realms would have them. There are a few places they are allowed to live, but not enough for their burgeoning population. Most are itinerant.

16. What is the lifespan of a Dragon? What was the oldest known dragon? I can imagine that some would be quite ancient, and especially so if a human can live upwards of at least 300 in setting.

That's unknown; almost all die in one draconic scheme or another.

17. I just thought of something. If Dragons taught humans all magic, then wouldn't there be other magics that they had which they did not share? And I also imagine that Dragons don't suffer the Gates Chaos factor, do they?

They seem to have little ability with Gates. It's unknown if they have other forms of magic, untaught to Man.

18. What do dragons eat? And if you were to eat one (properly prepared, of course) What would Dragon taste like?

They are carnivorous, and sometimes eat men. Who knows what their flesh tastes like. Chicken, maybe? :)

19. Given the Dragon's nature, I am curious. Did they themselves prefer Mastery, or did they attempt other ways to instill obedience to their slaves/servants? Did it depend on the Dragon?

They rarely used Mastery; they preferred their slaves to agonize over their actions.

20. What would a Pim look like? Like a older pre-decimalization British Penny? What would be stamped on one?

Similar to Roman Deneir. In the past, coins were stamped with an Emperor. These days, they are most often stamped with the sign of the New Gods, or the arms of the mint producing them.

21. Is there anything going on in the Imperial palace anymore? If a band of evil no-do-gooders can (temporarily) take it over, I wonder. I suppose the Sphinx would talk to people mostly out of boredom due to the lack of activity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sphinx's supposed to be guardians using puzzles rather than... Book-keepers?

It's the center of the Administration of Mineta, nominally, but the reality is very little actually goes on there. In our myth, Sphinxes our often guardians, yes.

22. Hmm, as a hypothetical scenario, let's say that Enspell is probably a 3rd year class. Now, you're hot stuff and in the right college for it and so get to take it a year early... which lets you take a 4th year class early in your 3rd year... So if we keep going like this, would we be able to take an otherwise unavailable class in Y5, or will we be forced to move on to something else?

No comment!

23. Will we be able to use professor "favors" for more things later? I suppose learning a few skills might be nice, but There'd have to be something more than that for ME to cash them in.

Yes.

24. Candies of the gnawing void.... Are not illegal?

They are clearly too delicious. :)

25. What is the people's opionion of Queen Icanyke? Since there is still a statue of her In Godina Park, she can't be reviled even though supposedly she could not be all that different from modern "reviled" Gates users.

She and Kazus appear frequently in poetry, stories and plays. Their particular brand of magic, however, is often left out. :)

2. In the description of one ability or other, the game says that when you get annoyed others can see fire phemes drift into focus. Is this hyperbole, or... Dragon-style casting? (If there was a pallette of course)

No comment.

Well, I guess I found a new skillset I really want to focus on. ;)