Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Mhmmm~ Considering I have just downloaded the weekly chunk of ten sec. updates for xp alone... You really dont have to worry on that score.

MUST... RESIST... URGE... TO... RANT...!!

Are they updates for XP? or are they updates for the .net framework with which XP is still compatible with along with an updated malicious software removal tool? There *might* be an IE8 update too as it's not that old. But XP is past the point for free updates, with only the above still given out to the public mostly because they're backwards compatible with XP. The only way to get XP updates still is if you're one of the businesses that shell out money to MS. Now I will stop before I rant. :)

Questions.

1. If it is possible to use your hands to draw phemes, then how would you erase them with your hands if necessary?

2. What magic would be best for preserving food, long term. I suppose enchanting with some revision magic.. But Revise it how?

3. Where is Emilia Strolin From? I'd guess from her description that the reason she's really in Aranaz is because of her father, but...

4. Even if it does not affect the player character, will we get a clique ability? It seems only fair!

5. Which of the pillars are the most commonly learned and used?

Freespace;

1. If it is possible to use your hands to draw phemes, then how would you erase them with your hands if necessary?

Sure. Erasing is a separate enchantment, so you'd need to apply that if you wanted to do it.

2. What magic would be best for preserving food, long term. I suppose enchanting with some revision magic.. But Revise it how?

Revision is best, and you revise it to freshness.

3. Where is Emilia Strolin From? I'd guess from her description that the reason she's really in Aranaz is because of her father, but...

Who can say? :)

4. Even if it does not affect the player character, will we get a clique ability? It seems only fair!

Haha, not in Y2 anyway.

5. Which of the pillars are the most commonly learned and used?

It's hard to say, and varies year to year.

On 2, What if it's already fresh? Will that keep the food fresh? and will it still become "Magical food" like incanted stuff over time?

On 3, can you at least say the region!? I know you've said it for other kids! :(

Free;

On 2, What if it's already fresh? Will that keep the food fresh? and will it still become "Magical food" like incanted stuff over time?

With Revision, you are revising to an ideal. You already making it magical, by simple virtue of casting a Spell on it. :)

On 3, can you at least say the region!? I know you've said it for other kids!

Definitely- she is Renaglian.

.Net updates eh? I know your pains. I only install the most stable version then ignore them from 1 to 4. Some of them unmentionables just plain refuse to install on my machine. Ditto with the Office updates. Update only when it's conflicted with game/app.

And no, it's security updates. MS still churning out them little piggies quite often.

Really, when it's the choice between a stable, much tested, much beloved, possessed the biggest bloc of users and therefore internet source of feedback, it-just-wont-die-on-MS-command operating system, and a johny come lately like Windows 7, or, hah, Windows 8, I know which is my choice. Fashionable be goshdarned! When it's come to OS, functionality worth much more than being fashionable or playing the latest.

Hmm. On 2, So revision has "ideals" as well, eh? Sounds like it'll be very important to learn these ideals if one is to be a powerful mage regardless of pillar.

What I'm trying to ask regarding "magical" food is... Complicated.

using a Fresh non-magical apple as a standard for nutrion, let's say we have 2 of them. Now we already know that a "Magical" apple only has the nutritional benefits of such so long as the duration holds. BUT If the magical apple happens to also be a normal fresh apple then there shouldn't be any great distinction between the nutrition between the two, right? That's part of what I'm trying to get at.

The other part is if you revise a fresh apple for "freshness" and the magic wears off say a couple weeks later, after it was eaten but before it was digested, would this apple still be the fresh apple it was before the magic and have all the nutrition of a fresh "normal" apple, or a rotten apple?

I'm looking for simple preservation of food for long term sustenance, not magically enhancing the food and dealing with the "magical food diet". Can magic be used for this, or are you really limited to spices and natural preservatives? (Using magic for a freezer would sort of qualify for this, but that's not on the food itself)

Free;

"using a Fresh non-magical apple as a standard for nutrion, let's say we have 2 of them. Now we already know that a "Magical" apple only has the nutritional benefits of such so long as the duration holds. BUT If the magical apple happens to also be a normal fresh apple then there shouldn't be any great distinction between the nutrition between the two, right? That's part of what I'm trying to get at."

Mostly correct.

"The other part is if you revise a fresh apple for "freshness" and the magic wears off say a couple weeks later, after it was eaten but before it was digested, would this apple still be the fresh apple it was before the magic and have all the nutrition of a fresh "normal" apple, or a rotten apple?"

A rotten apple.

I see. Let's pose a question though...

So, if you were going to lead some expedition to somewhere that would take months to complete, on a ship with a large cargo hold... Which of the two methods would be used?

Now, The way I see it your revised food being magical in nature would lose it's "real" nutritional value fairly quickly so after a couple of weeks you'd be on a pure "magical" diet more or less, and as a result of this you would start suffering the malnutrition of such after the 3rd month or so, even assuming you had an enchanter who was the bomb with Revision.

But, The "natural preservation" would not suffer that, right? And although you'd probably still deal with a little bit of rot, if you had even one decent incanter to refresh the ice every so often it'd be good and edible with less malnutrition, yes?

I love discussing these finer points on the theory of magic! :)

hehe! :)

I've got to say I'd love to just witness even just the planning for such an expedition!

I'd figure most of the mages wanting to be a part mostly for their own curiosity/reasearch, and putting their varied talents on the table to increase the odds of success. I suspect that the absolute best solution would be a combination of the two methods! A Negater to load the top-quality foodstuffs by removing gravity, (because they're mages!) A Reviser for freshness, and an Incanter for the ice! Probably all sorts of magics would be used, and then we haven't gotten to the actual expedition yet! Oh, how awesome!

@ Freespace

Food preserved with ice would have ice burns though...Never had an apple with ice burns but it can't be nice. I'd go for negation myself. An air tight seal might be easier to make than constant ice.

Ooo computer talk. Why would you prefer vista to 7? As for 8, some mates and I decided to test it on more than just appearance (because we have no life). Pretty much everything was sub par compared to 7. I meant, it was blown out of the water in brutal fashion. We compared mostly the used resources, space and utility, not to mention how easy it is to modify it and mess around. I'm honestly terrified of how 9 might end up as. XP was great, indeed, but not for x64.

I sort of figured Avila and Godina rivalry was based on Rimbal. That's always what seemed to come up.

Considering the clique ability, if anything, it should be different for every student. Considering role-play it's pretty hard to establish a specific trait for the character in order to give him a solitary trait.

Right, the question. Considering that in Y2 we can take an extra class, does this mean we have to study weekends or are they shoved in the normal schedule? Will adventures tie up? For example, regarding the Main Adventure and the Cirillo One:

In the Cirillo adventure we can learn that Orso Orsi has been working with the Black Rose to steal something. If also working with the captain his name shows up at the raid, but you have no way of connecting the two currently. Or ask around more.

Not asking what will happen. I realize it's pretty much [redacted] but will we be able to use information given by different sources from Y1?

I feel slow with the sudden huge influx, but correct me if I am wrong here:

10. If Roman numerals are used in Elumia, are they purely additive, or can they be subractive as well? (ie. IIII instead of IV, MIM instead of MCMXCVIIII)

Now, I am fairly sure what you meant, but surely we agree that there is subtraction at work here too. (A lot more work to be fair but still ;))

Besides MIM is cheating, it looks *way* cooler to write MCMXCVIIII... though I think I learned that you ought to shift at 4-5 and 8-9, so from what I've been taught it would indeed be MIM. Still, not all that cool.

Not that it is so important, as we are slowly approaching MMXIII anyway, or if the Mayans have it right, then we will be engulfed by eternity before then... or was it the Inca... meh, either way.

(And sorry, this is very random. I know that.)

Adrian;

I just used MIM to greater Illustrate the difference in additives vs subtractives. It's still valid using subtractives even if "cheating". And yes I screwed up the additive and subtractive on that a bit. Modern subtractive writing would be MCMXCIX. Pure Roman additive would be MDCCCCLXXXXVIIII

Madhatt;

Vista is basically XP+ Yeah it's pretty bloated, but ALL Microsoft OSes have been considered so at their release. XP included. My machine can handle it's requirements just fine, and it has a LOT of cool features that were pulled out of 7 to make it look dainty in comparison. Vista is also the last Windows designed with increased compatibility for Old school PC users, which again ties into a lot of these features, but also the GUI. 7 basically spat in my eye by simplifying the interface, and changing several things around for "ease of use" IE. so computer illiterate people can use it. I WOULD be using XP if not for my attempt to keep up with what's left of PC gaming. When I moved to 7 I reasoned that If I needed backwards compatibility, I would use PC emulation software and run Vista or XP or even 98se on it. As bad as 7 is though, 8 is like a million times worse, and all that I needed to see was the metro screen.

Also, Freezerburn only really happens if the temperature is exceedingly cold, which is FAR more likely on mechanical refrigeration systems that circulate air. It's still possible though, so yes, In order to prepare the food "properly" we'll need at least 3 pillars of magic. :)

I was forced by a MMO to change from 98 to XP 1 year after MS stoped the support for this OS and I suspect this will happen again.

Beside this I'm not sure if you will get support for PC games that apear in 2-3 years from now for XP.

Anyway I hope Win 7 will also get such a extended support cycle as XP because I have absolut no intention to be forced to use a touchscreen optimised OS that looks its core even more from the user then WIN 7 already do.

Now that's just strange. Is there any game designed for non-XP Windows only? 'Cause I sure havent heard about it.

With XP, you can have emulators to play almost any games, other than the ones exclusively for XBOX360 and PS3.

Plenty of games officially are no longer supporting XP. Since XP and vista are not so different, it is possible sometimes to juryrig a solution, but that is iffy at best. I just recently came across the new Hitman title which has several "problems" in vista (and surely won't run in XP) though in 7 it's actually perfect. a BIG gripe and was one of the factors in my upgrade to 7.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/06/vista-only-game-cracked-to-run-on-xp/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1019089/vista-game-cracked

Anyway I hope Win 7 will also get such a extended support cycle as XP because I have absolut no intention to be forced to use a touchscreen optimised OS that looks its core even more from the user then WIN 7 already do.

Same here, but I believe that by the time 7 is at the point of it's lifespan that XP is in now, Mainstream gaming on the PC will be dead. Only projects from kickstarter and indie projects will remain (hopefully for the better) As Windows turns to get their products safe for 3 year olds to play with, the true PC enthusiasts will move to Linux. Those remaining in the Gaming scene will start catering to Linux more and more. That's how I see it. And though I'll be sad if the day comes where I abandon windows, I know that it'll already have been dead by that point.

Dang but the article illustrates perfectly the unattractiveness of Vista. People just dont want to move from XP to it, though maybe to W7 or W8.

Anyway, nothing prevent you keep your PC games on desktop XPSP3 and do business on laptop's fashionable operating systems. I suspect that the work's laptop in XPSP3 could have detrimental effect on wowing the customers, who mostly not very savvy in computers.

Oh gods.

The discussion on which OS to use is incredibly entertaining. But I think we might need to move it to a new topic.tongue.gif

Also, Freespace? If you thought Candies of the gnawing void not illegal is weird, how would you feel if I told you Chocolate cake is illegal?