Black Chicken Studios Forums

They just don't build like they used to

Adrian

The “rewards” are, as always, just guidelines, a few of them might be a bit harsh or a bit too kind so feel free to change ;)

A few aren't written yet. Working on it but it got late.

Now admittedly you had a lot on your mind when you were etching phemes onto your palette, but you are pretty sure that it wasn't your spell that just blasted a hole in the wall, directly into the next practice room.

You are looking into the other practice room through the hole, but no one is inside – which is odd since you had to take this room since all the others were taken.

The sound of feet running on stone floor interrupts the otherwise exciting quandary!

You quickly guess how it would look if a teacher entered the room now! Quick think!

Exit 1 Revision: (should be difficult) Quick fix the wall, no one will ever be the wiser!

Success:

A quick glance in the revision-spellbook and you find what you are looking for. Excellent!

You quickly make a border, and inscribe several phemes.

Still slightly amazed that you kept both the phemes drawn correctly, used the right intonation as you read the words and even managed to draw the phemes at the right time, you finally release your spell.

Horror of horror the spells are tearing down the rest of the wall!

The footsteps come closer, ever closer, and you cast a glance at the door, fully expecting a teacher to burst through shouting loudly and blowing things up. The steps still go but seemed to have stopped temporarily. You look back at what used to be a wall, fortunately the spell has already begun building up the wall again. Pretty neat! The practice room that you are in even got a little bigger at the cost of the other room. Score!

The wall just finishes as the door to your room is torn open Professor Alazzo stares into the room, his eyes scanning the room. “Did you hear something?”

“Yes” you say – quite honest “I think it came from the other room”

He nods and closes the door. You hear the door open in the next room, some muffled berating and then – quiet.

You are off the hook! Yay!

+ Revision theory, 2 Revision Spells

- 1 Stress

Failure:

A quick glance in the revision-spellbook and you find what you are looking for. Excellent!

You quickly make a border, and inscribe several phemes.

Tap tap tap tap, the feet are coming closer!

Wait was that last pheme correctly drawn? You feel a bead of sweat drop from your forehead. The timing is off now at any rate, and that pheme looks off. What if you read the incantation wrong?!

You manage to hold the spell in reign, trying franticly to go over the step-by-step guide in the book... when the door opens and you accidentally release the spell. Upps.

The spell does... more or less what it was supposed to. A few stones are missing in the wall, and sure, it is a nice place for a window...

A single look at the frown on Professor Alazzo's face convinces you otherwise.

“I expect to see you in detention! Next time you want to ruin pratice rooms have the decency to reign your urges! Restraint is a virtue!”

He quickly summons up a palette, and without any incantation what so ever he finishes a spell that not only overwrites your but also starts to rebuild the wall as it was.

Detention, + 1 Revision theory, - 1 revision Spells

Exit 2: Glamour: Cover it up and then leave, quickly!

Success: You page through half of the glamour textbook in what seems like a heartbeat and find the spell – or at least -a- spell that might do the trick. Projecting one image somewhere else. It won't last long, but you can leave in the mean time!

The spell goes off perfectly, just in time for Professor Alazzo to upen the door. Taking your cue you elegantly leave the room.

Alazzo seems to inspect the room but doesn't ask you anything, and then turn to the next room in the line. The one who shared a wall with yours. You see the door close, you feel a hint of pity but at least your skin is safe.

You hurry out of the room, surely he will realize that it was only an illusion when seeing the opposite side of the wall.

2 Glamour Spells, Escape Artist, +1 stress

Failure:

You page through half of the glamour textbook in what seems like a heartbeat and find the spell – or at least -a- spell that might do the trick. Projecting one image somewhere else. It won't last long, but you can leave in the mean time!

The spell goes off, or, perhaps more accurately, -a- spell goes off. In the fray you must have messed up something, but now all the bricks from the wall seem to glow bright pink. Not the most inconspicuous color.

Professor Alazzo opens the door and you resign to your fate. Waiting for the man to pass sentence.

It doesn't happen right away though, the man just staring at the broken (and brightly pink) wall his mouth opening and closing like a fish gasping for water.

“How did this happen?” he asks, not looking at you.

“I sort of,... tried to cover the hole up...” you admit, a feeling of dread rising.

“Just...” he seems at a loss for words. “Never mention this again, now go. Next time you pull this stunt be sure that I don't have to clean it up.” He doesn't sound angry just... very baffled.

You cast a last look at the wall as you leave the room, It looks like the pink is spreading to the remaining walls as well as the floor. You decide to leave quickly before Alazzo comes to his senses and gives you detention!

+Glamour phemes, +1 stress, -1 relationship with Alazzo

Exit 3 Character You know the teachers know you wouldn't do such a thing! (should be somewhat easy I think)

Success:

You calmly wait for the teacher to enter and he looks like he is about to lekture you, but your calm exterior and easy demeanor gives him pause. You explain to professor Alazzo that you were simply minding your own spell when whoever was next door blew a hole in the wall!

The teacher looks at you, as if trying to see if you were lying and then on the hole in the wall.

“So it is” he exclaims, giving you a small smile. “I am glad you told the truth!”

With that he leaves you alone. It was pretty simple after all, and minimum effort!

+character, + relationship with Alazzo

Failure:

You wait for the steps draw closer, and surely they stop before the door and professor Alazzo blocks the door. You smile sweetly to the professor, perhaps too sweetly. You immediately try to look as horrified as you can, perhaps that works better.

Before he says anything you cry out “It was horrible! Someone blew a hole in the wall!”

“You don't say” he replies, giving you a hard stare.

“It wasn't me!” you exclaim, when he doesn't seem to believe you. You could almost hear the sentence being settled then and there. Never, ever, say you are innocent when you are. You know that!

Sigh.

The professor mends the wall and sends you out of the room.

-2 relationship with Alazzo, + stress

Investigate 1 Sleuthing: Look for clues as to what happened.

Success:

You are (fairly) sure that it wasn't you who broke the wall, simply from the way the stone fell into your room and not opposite.

Surely the culprit would be in there! Your previous glance didn't show much though...

Aha! You got it! Diving into your pocket you pull out a tiny mirror – the sort they use in all the good detective stories.

You put it into the hole and... lo and behold! The culprit pressed up against the wall with the hole in it. That was why you couldn't see him!

“Durand?!” You cry, shocked.

Exit 4 & 5 opens

Failure:

You are (fairly) sure that it wasn't you who broke the wall, simply from the way the stone fell into your room and not opposite. Therefore the blast that wrecked the wall came from the other room!

So why is there no one in there?

You look into the room again, nothing. Maybe it is a ghost!

Exit 6 opens

Exit 4 Bully

Success:

”Durand?” you ask again, more insisting than in shock.

”Yes?” he asks, his voice sounding slightly hopeful, like you will help him mend this problem. Boy was he wrong! ”I didn't mean to, honest. I was just praticing this spell and... For a second I wasn't paying attention and...”

”What do you plan to tell the teacher?” You ask, as cool as an icecream in a snowstorm. ”'Cause you do realize that this is all YOUR fault, and therefore YOUR responsibility, right?”

”But it shouldn't have acted that way!” he cries out, clearly on the edge of a breakdown. - Now that could be fun, and give you some leverage later. ”It wasn't even an offensive spell!” he continues, but you've stopped paying him much mind.

”It would be terrible if Marlein Knoht was to hear of this, or maybe Rikildis!”

”Please don't, please” from the tone of his voice he is close to crying.

”Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. You carry my books for the next two weeks and take the blame for this – it is YOUR mistake after all and I'll... forget about it” until, of cause, it is opportune to start a rumor – but that is neither here nor there.

You can hear the kid trying to grab a hold of himself, but the door to your room flies open. There in the doorway looms professor Alazzo.

“It was Duran next door” you say in a matter-of-fact tone. Hardly even bothering looking or speaking with respect to the professor. “He almost blew my head off! Can you believe the nerve?! - Ain't that right Durand?” you call into the hole in the wall, daring him to oppose you.

“It was my mistake” Duran calls out, sounding a bit more in control now though woefully sad.

“Well then, you will excuse me.” Alazzo says to you, leaving the room and enters Durand's. You'd stick around to hear the punishment but you hear the yelp of someone falling for a prank down the hall which sounds like far more fun.

+intimidation, -3 stress, + 1 Relationship with Durand (he dares not oppose you now! *muhaha*)

Failure:

”Durand?” you ask again, more insisting than in shock.

”Yes?” he asks, his voice sounding slightly hopeful, like you will help him mend this problem. Boy was he wrong! ”I didn't mean to, honest. I was just praticing this spell and... For a second I wasn't paying attention and...”

"And...?"

"and somehow the whole thing went strange! Like it was getting forced into your room and blew up when it hit the wall."

"Are you saying it was MY fault?" you demand. If you had been more menacing the lights had surely gone out... Surely.

"Well, no, not really. But I guess..."

"It wasn't!"

"But really, my spell couldn't have done it, so you must have done something!"

"If you don't take the blame then I will hit you when we get out of here!"

You become instantly aware that you are not alone in the room. Oooooh damn it all.

"Detention" the man in the doorway says, so cold that you feel a shiver down your spine.

+Detention, - 2 relationship with Durand

Exit 5 Befriend

Exit 6 Storytelling

Editing note: Bully part one is up - darn, that stuff is difficult to write, and I'm not even too happy about this one.

• 1 month later...

Exit 5 Befriend. Be nice and hope he will take the blame.

Success:

”Durand?” you ask again, more shocked than insisting.

Tears form between your eyes and you knelt on the floor.

"Oh no. We are both going to get into trouble. I can't get into detention! If my parents know, they... they... Nevermind. I will take the blame for you, Durand. It was an accident, no?"

"No! I... It is my responsibility! Don't you worry, @playername@. I will tell the professor truthfully!"

“Well then, I guess I will let you go this time... but try to restrain yourself next time, Durand.” Your head jerks up and see Professor Alazzo is already there, halfheartedly lecturing Durand.

"And you, @playername@. All students are responsible for their own actions."

Perhaps Professor Alazzo would be more convincing if he wasn't grinning.

+1 Bluff, + 2 Relationship with Durand, + 1 Relationship with Professor Alazzo

Failure:

”Durand?” you ask again, smiling nicely.

”Yes?” he asks, his voice sounding slightly hopeful, like you will help him mend this problem. ”I didn't mean to, honest. I was just praticing this spell and... For a second I wasn't paying attention and...”

"Would you like me to help you fix it, Durand?"

"Er....yes, absolutely! I will, just, er, run along. Thank you, @playername@!"

"@playername@! What kind of stupidity is this? It is not up to you to help other students evade their responsibility!"

Drat. By the time you come to your senses you see Professor Alazzo dragging Durand out the classroom by the ear.

Oh well. At least both of them don't seems to be very angry at you.

+ 1 Relationship with Durand

:blush:

hehe very well written, in the mean time I found the storytelling, so I think we are finished here.

Storytelling: It was a ghost I tell you!

Success:

You consider the obvious question: What if it was a ghost?

Surely, if it WAS a ghost then it might have ruined the wall, and surely it could have disappeared afterwards.

Whoever is going to be barging in though, will likely not believe this story unless you add a little spice.

Seconds later when Professor Alazzo enters you calmly explain the (more or less) truthful account of what (might have) happened.

"And this ghost wore a hat you say?"

You nod. A huge one. "And it had a cronometer inside the hat as well!"

Alazzo casts a doubtful look at you. Perhaps you are giving it a bit too much spice.... naah.

"I think it was a clockwork pirate disgused as a human"

"But it was a ghost you say"

"Indeed! That is why it makes such good sense you see?"

You continue to spin a most enticing tale about the clockwork pirate that hid his treasure inside the school, but he forgot to wind himself up in all the excitement and... well died as it were - like all clockwork without a wound up spring.

You are fairly sure that Alazzo doesn't buy your story when you are all finished, but he IS smiling (in a good way) and a few of the people listening begin applausing as you finished.

"I still don't know what happened -"

he holds up a hand before you can make a new story

"but it doesn't matter so much any more. You have a gift for stories, but you should work on your spells eh?" he winks at you and with a twist of his wand the wall begins to mend.

Looks like you are off the hook!

+2 storytelling, +1 relationship with Alazzo

Failure:

You consider the obvious question: What if it was a ghost?

Surely, if it WAS a ghost then it might have ruined the wall, and surely it could have disappeared afterwards.

Whoever is going to be barging in though, will likely not believe this story unless you add a little spice.

Seconds later when Professor Alazzo enters you calmly explain the (more or less) truthful account of what (might have) happened.

"And this ghost wore a hat you say?"

You nod. A huge one. "And it had a cronometer inside the hat as well!"

Alazzo casts a doubtful look at you. Perhaps you are giving it a bit too much spice...

You moderate the story a bit and tell a (if the audience is to be believed) dull but plausable story of the ghost with the funny hat.

Alazzo doesn't seem to be buying it though, and before you can finish the tale he stops you.

"I don't think you should be wasting your time on this any more, and certainly not MY time! Now any last words?"

You can't even think of a clever one-liner.

"that is something to be grateful for at least! I expect to see you in detention!"

Damn it all, and you didn't even finish the story!

+1 Storytelling, +1 stress, detention with Alazzo

@Leoshi: I love the clockwork madness :)

Additional Exit:

Exit 7: (Only show up when Relationship with Durand >= 5, automatic success)

Huh. Knowing Durand, he is a coward, but he always tries to keep his friends out of trouble.

Success:

You quickly recover from your shock. Durand is in general pretty nervous all the time.

"Durand! Quickly, I will try to fix the wall here, and you tell the professor what happened and..."

Before you finish the sentence, the wall is already mended by itself.

What a good boy.

+1 Relationship with Durand, +1 Composure

Archived