Black Chicken Studios Forums

Uniforms & Dating

Jackrabbit

I would like to know exactly how the Academagia uniforms work. Looking at students' portraits, is seems to be like a short cape, cast over the shoulders all casual like, and yet, sometimes it seems to be a full-on (bath)robe. Does every college has a completely different one, or they only differ in colors? Are the shoes part of the uniform code? What do you wear under the school robes? And are there any other specifics, i.e. you can't stick pins on your robe or whatever (I'm a solider, I know how "uni" uniforms tend to be - not so much, that is.) I bet you get demerits for being creative, huh? Schools are bummer like that.

Also, I was wondering about the no-dating-for-first-year rule. How exactly does that work? What, do the professors patrol the halls watching for kids holding hands and\or kissing, and severely reprimand them? How can they even tell they're first years? (kids these days look so much older, don't they). Do you get detention if you get caught hanging too physically close to the opposite sex, or is it only official dating that is prohibited? And does anyone abide by that rule? If it was me, I'd go around being a-13-years-old-version-of-easy (which is assume consists kissing boys' cheeks?) just for spite. How dare they pry into my personal lives! I'll show them! etc' is what I'd expect from a typical tween.

Jackrabbit;

Uniforms are different for each College, actually, and have different rules for the wearing. Each article of clothing, except your smallclothes, is mandated by the Uniform Code, but generally speaking the Instructors won't bother you too much about it unless what you are wearing is particularly egregious or annoying. Your uniform must be worn at all times during campus hours- this means that in the evenings, on holidays and on the weekends, you can wear whatever you want. That isn't modeled in the game, though.

The restrictions on dating are observed by the Instructors, campus personnel and students themselves. Dating and physical contact both are regulated, and can earn you a Conduct Reprimand if caught. I'm sure there are one or two Students every year who try to creatively get around the restrictions, but that's not modeled by the game. :)

Ah, of course, I forgot about the snitches. Well, if I remember correctly, middle schoolrs aren't really all that savi about dating anyway, so I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Still kinda makes me wanna be spiteful, though. Kids these days, eh?

So can you give me a little details about how each college's uniform works? Or there isn't really an official design? I imagine the Arnaaz ones to be extra spiffy and shiny, while the Vernin ones looks kinda... er, british. Like, something a middle-age british housewife wears all day long. Ha, Good old Vernin. Also Hedi's looks too big for half the students, which is not what I'd expect from a glamour-and-rhetoric college (although considering some of the *cough* "lookers" it has, I suppose a misfitted robe is the least of their problems. Looking at you, Leopold and Herbert).

Jackrabbit;

Sure, there is an official design for each (you can see the difference in the top in the portraits), but it's typical for wizards to add a little to them- rings, medallions and other ornaments are overlooked, provided that they are not distracting or irritating to the Professors. That last is really the key. :)

For example, during winter, or times of rain, most young Students wear a cloak of some kind, despite there being no provision for that in the Uniform Code. Conversely, that's discouraged amongst older Students, however: they are expected to use magic to keep warm and dry, and can expect Conduct Reprimands if they are out of Uniform in this way.

Of the Colleges, Vernin is probably the least strict traditionally with uniforms with Avila (under the current Regent) being the most strict.

Hehe, I can so imagine cranky professors shouting at students to "cut your damn hair, hippie!".

Anyway, I still can't really get a clear picture of the uniforms. I mean, some portraits look like its a D&D style robe, and other looks like fashionable vest. How long are these things, and what kind of garment is it? It's pretty confusing...

Also, what are the dressing codes in the area? Like, do women wear pants? What length are the skirts? Do the underclothes still live in middle ages? (i.e. big puffy underpants for woman and weird loincloth thingy for men).

Sorry for being naggy, I'm just having issue picturing the way people look, since the fantasy-setting tends to be a very mixed bag when it comes to fashion and social norms.

Jackrabbit;

Not at all! It's an interesting subject. :)

Each College's uniform is different- but all are fairly conservative. I'll have to see if we have any shareable full-length uniform artwork for you.

In regards to the cultural setting, women may wear pants by choice (especially in professions where loose clothing might present a hazard, or impede movement), but it's not regarded as very feminine. Skirts are generally to at least the calves, propriety being of concern to most people (and with most temporal authorities having laws about such!) Smallclothes in Elumia are about the same as what they were in the real-world late Renaissance, except that advances in cloth-making have made the bulk of those garments much reduced, especially for the upper classes.

Fashion and to some extent liberality of dress is at its highest in the Merilien states, and in particular the Duchy of Breuil, where the decadence of its courts is renowned.

Oooh, I hope you can find some artwork for me. That would spare my nit-picking imagination quite a lot of work :)

Thank you, as always, for the quick response and for the lore! It these small details that makes the game come alive (and now I can safely assume the pirates women wear pants. I was having a rough time, trying to figure out if there's such a thing as pirates' skirts). So, laws about skirts length? Interesting... There's much fu to be had with that, don't you think?

So, laws about skirts length? Interesting... There's much fun to be had with that, don't you think?

I can imagine quite a few students having problems with such a thing, aye. The basis for future adventures, maybe? Tell The Man to stop bringing you down or to take the hemlines up?

Edit: Okay, checking the wiki, I think the uniforms are as such:

Godina: Formal Oxford-styled duds; robe over a collared shirt, maybe 'civilian' clothes underneath.

Durand: Looks priestly; not cassocks, mind you, but more like very simplified Papal robes.

Aranaz: Cassocks, cassocks everywhere.

Hedi: Can't really tell; simple robe over sweater?

Avila: Very elaborate robes, though I can't say the style appeals to me.

Morvidus: As expected, a simple-looking robe; heck, it might not even be a robe at all, just a green shirt and perhaps sturdy leather pants and boots, all suited for outdoorsy stuff.

Vernin: Similar to Godina. Might just be a different colour.

Archived