Black Chicken Studios Forums

Anyone good with portrait editing/creating want to do some for me?

Mikka

It seems to me like the only reason it doesn't look very natural is because it's missing its shadow. As long as anything has a shadow, it should look real.The bangs should have one on the face and the braid on the clothes. A low opacity, low hardness dark brush should do that. And liquify could make the braid smaller and as warped as you'd like.

I tried doing it, but it did not end up well. I know how tough it is to work on images like this, though, so good luck.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've reached my limit, at least for the next few weeks. There are still three others that need portraits (though buprettyinpink is currently working on Miya (see: smuggler's daughter who lies a lot, also known as 'Asianish girl' above) and doing a fabulous job: thank you again! <3), and I know full well that the guys are going to be harder then the girls. They always are, for me. Can't hide stuff like the ears behind the hair as much. :(

louisenotquitefinal.png

If anyone can do anything with her and wants to give it a try, go for it. I can't even figure out why the hell her cheeks are so gray when if you zoom in, there's no gray involved. I tried to make the braid follow the curve of her neck and thus give her shoulder room a bit more, but I don't know if it worked. I also tried to give shadows to the right and highlights to the left, but that didn't go so well (see: forehead).

But I just can't do anymore/improve it from where I stand, as far as art goes. That's why I gave up art to write. XD

Still, keep casting critisms. Maybe in a month or two, I can go and try. Or someone else can go try, that would be even better. >.> :P Until then, thanks so much for the support so far, everyone. Hopefully, even if the portraits are too horrible for the Legate to fully add the kids to the game, the mod can still be used and liked all the same. :)

You know, Mikka, maybe you should actually ask the Legate about how well does it fits in now that you have done your best :lol:

@buprettyinpink

What student did you base this on?

The head's shape is a bit weird though, it is round on the left and straight on the right (ughhh, I suck at describing things).

The hair and eyes are fine... just not very Asian :P

Pfft, why ask questions when I could just be bitter? ...No, she isn't quite good enough to be in game, I know. (You can predict the Legate- he doesn't post if the news is disappointing. ;)) Ugh, and the braid still isn't natural enough, now that I'm looking at it. Darn you, Louise! I think she's going to join Lambert on my curse-you list.

As for buprettyinpink, the facial features are very nice. :) The eyes do need to be a bit more slanted, but the whole face is very pretty: I like the smile in paticular. The head-shape is a bit funky, but I think that can be fixed by filling out the hair on the right (her left) or by allowing a bit more of the cheek/chin to show on that side- the problem is that side looking 'flat' while the other side looks more rounded. Overall, it's very nice. The hair probably needs to be darkened a bit, but that's a pretty easy last step after you're fully done with it.

You'll get the Avila and Godina (and the Avila is male, at that), no worries. Those two are actually basically done. They both have AI that I'm mostly satisfied with (I make a few tweaks every other day, but honestly, they get the skills I want them to skill in maxed, they make friends and enemies as is appropriate, they seem to be doing okay with their familars (as much as I can assume as that can't directly be checked), and I haven't even seen either of them get stuck at Court yet), they both have adventures, and they both have around seven events involving them- a few more events can and will be added, but that's it. The key thing about them, though, is that as DLC's have been released since the modtool, I've only added new events and adventures, rather then making any changes and alterations. Aaran should at least have some input in the boys Avila adventure as every male in Avila is involved in that, even though it's likely 'Yeah, he hangs around reading a book in the same room Avgust is in when you guys split and he's incredibly interested in the (thing) at the end' (and in the realm of the weird, having him as a friend should make your Dog's last step in Doggy's own adventure a bit easier as he should have a free investigation success), and there were a few events that involved chaos (and theatre) that I wanted to stick Miya in, but as I don't want to break something, I'm a bit leary of editing. But besides debates on that, some more tweaking, maybe four or so more events, then another go over for mistakes both spelling and code-wise (and quality checking), they're fully done.

Their portraits aren't. And portrait editing is irritating to me, while modding and writing is fun.

...Thus, I decided to make Antonio and Louise, as, well, writing and modding is fun while portrait editing is not, and while the first two characters were written as bi (though of the four, only Miya's honestly seriously thought all that much about sexuality at the age of 12- the other three are still coming to terms and realizing such things), these two could be written as gay, then, huzzah, all sexualities written, as I said I would do back in that thread that started the whole thing. And while Aranaz does have quite a few students, there was really no way Antonio could work in any other collage.

Louise was more of a toss up, that I could see her in Durand, Vernin, and Morvidus. She changed around four times before I finally decided (which is the number two thing I'm worried I'll mess up- somewhere, in some event step somewhere, she's still refered to as a Durand student and I haven't caught it argh). And I'll share the real stinger reason, then (as really, any of those three could work with her personality, and she'd be taking the same courses in both Morv and Vernin with only one change for Durand): she's in Vernin because Vernin does not need any help in the collage competing, and Louise in no way will ever compete. She simply does not care. As without any player character input, Vernin seems most likely to win the competing contest (with Morvidus a close second), might as well put her where her lack of competing will cause no harm.

(And Antonio's addition to Aranaz might allow them to occasionally come at least close to winning without player input, so, huzzah! ...Avila and Godina are probably still doomed, though.)

The joke among my friends is at this rate, I'll either have made a student for each collage before I finish the portrait for one, or I'll end up throwing my hands up in disgust and releasing the mod with things like a picture of Tabin with, written in bad handwriting in bright red, 'NOT ACTUALLY TABIN' on his face and claiming it's Antonio, really.

I'm hoping for either, but they won't stop the joke. XD

Sorry, Sch- I'm not quite parsing your question. Can you reword it? I think he didn't answer some of the questions I had on the direct Modding Students topic, but that's okay, as I managed to figure out answers to ones that got missed (and that was a mistake- Legate just missed my post, heh).

And sure, WeedBonnet, I can do that, though I'll make a different thread for it (probably tomorrow). Want to try to keep this one sort of about portraits, while in the other one I can beg people to do some beta-testing (if they don't mind the lack of portraits ^^) and ask for help on wording things.

Thank you, Schwarz. I get it now. I appreciate it. :)

If anyone has some spare/lazy time and access to GIMP or another program, would they be so kind as to set up an Aranaz portrait 'hole' (with the background and emblem) similar the Avila one posted in this thread- http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1798 ?

While I'm still fiddling with Louise (though I swore I'd stop) and the Avila boy, I figure if I ask someone to get an Aranaz one ready/alive, I then won't have to do it myself later on. >.> Just figured I'd ask, oh kind folk of the Academagia Forums. :)

• 1 year later...

Do you (or anyone else here) still need help with making students?

I've actually decided to start some modding to the game, and I think I'm decent enough at photoshop.

I can only manage teenagers though. I can also make some of the students maybe look a bit older as if they've aged.

No fancy bearded old wizards or anything of the sort, though. I'm not too good with adults.

I still need Antonio. He's in house Aranaz, which means the robes and border seen on the other male members of Aranaz here: http://academagia.wi...ki/Aymeri_Couer, http://academagia.wi.../Carmine_Sturzo, http://academagia.wi...cresta_Vercesi. He's from Academagia-world-Spain, and thus looks stereotypically Spanish- darker skin and hair then most of the Academagia students, though he has green eyes.

I've described him before as being charming and nice to look at, and for a child he's handsome (or at least cute). He has tanned skin and dark brown hair that curls: he wears a bandana/sweatband/headband of sorts (everyone seems to have their own word for it- I'm meaning a simple tie that goes around his forehead with ties on the back, though they're not of exagerated length- they're probably short enough that they can't be seen from the front) around his forehead that's a shade of blue that doesn't quite match his robes. His hair is messy, but not very long- going around his ears, but not really further. His eyes are his 'good point'- they're bright green and large, and suit him well. He should be smiling- an easy smile, the one he does so often (that sounds so lame in writing...). He's a generally good natured kid. He doesn't need hands visible, but if one is, him seeming to be offering a hand to the person he's looking at works lovely. His attention should be straight ahead- he's looking at the 'camera' openly, not trying to be shifty.

However, honestly, I'm at the point where I'm just saying 'I need a male in house Aranaz that looks like he could come from real world Spain'. I badly need a portrait: it doesn't need to be of the best quality (see how poor Louise looks above- clearly not on par with the real Academagia portraits, but I think she'll do for now), though it probably does have to be different enough from other students that you can't look at it and immediately figure out who it's based off of. A portrait of Tabin with red-writing on it is sort of embarrassing, even as a placeholder.

If you (or any soul reading this) can do anything, it would be very much appreciated. If you can't, no problem. :)

Hi there - I'm a fan of this thread and the ideas therein, so here's my attempt to give you some kind of placeholder to use for Antonio. I've only put a few hours of work into these so far, so feel free to discard them all brutally. :)

Hopefully these'll show up:

antonio1.png

antonio2.png

antonio3.png

Sorry about the smile - I tried a few open ones, but combined with those eyebrows it always looked a little... lecherous for a schoolboy The basis for these was Cyrus, with robe stolen from random Aranaz student. ^_^

Hope it helps - let me know if there's anything you'd like me to change!

Ash

Thanks, Adrian - the top is the original, and my favorite as well, the bottom what I ended up with after tring (and failing!) to match the idiosyncratic and charming style of the original portraits. *grins*

(Thanks for the welcome as well! I've been lurking around this forum since just after Academagia came out, and check on it embarrassingly often... but lurking is the operative word there. ^_^)

My computer is still unfit for most things, so I decided to give open-mouth smiling another go:

portrait4.png

portrait5.png

Robe and face started from Malacresta Vercesi, then took an abrupt left turn. Smile sketched from an adorable picture which I instantly lost track of. Headband continues to be baffling.

Thanks for the thanks, Leoshi - I feel thoroughly welcomed, and only hope that Mikka doesn't mind me basically turning Antonio into a relaxing hobby. ^_^

• 3 months later...

I've been away for five million years, but I finally am getting back to this project, and all I have to say is: thank you, slategrey, thank you so much. I hope you one day appear on the forum again so you can see these thanks. I'll definitely be using one of the portraits, I just have to decide if I like the open smiling or the closed faced smiling better. I'm so happy that this is done- thank you so, so, so much. :)

Archived