Black Chicken Studios Forums

Class Suggestion: Everyday Magic

89157Z

A perennially popular class amongst the student body and a perennial horror to parents, many families wealthy or wizardly find the Academagia's "Everyday Magic" classes to be an entirely undignified usage of the time and energies of a would-be wizard. The course persists in spite of parental opposition due to support by alumni and by the student body themselves. The Everyday Magic course focuses on everyday applications of magic and teaches students how to incorporate magical effects into their everyday life. Students frustrated by difficult theoretical exercises in other classes often find themselves at home in these studies. At the same time, demand from the student body means that the Academagia must limit access to the Everyday Magic courses to those who have already finished several other magic courses with good marks, lest whichever teacher takes on a year's Everyday Magic lessons get swamped by applicants.

Entry into Everyday Magic is competitive. The best students in the school (who have no trouble with or even enjoy theoretical exercises) are often disinterested and do not apply. Of those who do apply for the course, the applicants with the best marks are accepted in. There's a set number of seats to be awarded every year. The threshold of entry really depends on who applies. Since this is a popular class, the Academagia faculty hope the competitive entry will encourage those who might not otherwise be willing to follow theoretical exercises in their other classes to put in more effort. Competitive entry also helps deflect some of the criticism from parents. It makes the class more of a reward.

Requirements: Must have completed any two of the following classes: Astrology, Enchant, Glamour, Incantation, Negation, Revision, and curiously, Calligraphy.

Worth Noting: Progress in Studying this course actually decreases Parental Approval somewhat, instead of expanding it.

Students Interested: Most of the students not specifically listed as 'Disinterested' below, but especially anyone who prefers magical practice to magical theory.

Students Disinterested:

Aveline Cincebeaux: Keenly aware of the things that look strong and the things that look weak, Aveline won't sign up for Everyday Magic.

Basia Rydz: Basia has better things to study. And she's embarrassed to be around people who don't.

Carmine Sturzo: Like Aveline, Carmine is too much of an intriguer for this.

Catherine Chard: Catherine is way too rich to be interested in any of the pedestrian thing this class teaches. Her family has servants for mundane tasks, and it is appalling that the Academagia teaches such magics.

Corradin d'Alfi: Rich student, long family line, loud family pride? No way he's touching this.

Courtenay de Surval: Interested in texts and theories, Everyday Magic's curriculum just doesn't seem interesting to him. Nothing against those who take it, it's just not for him.

Durand de Thiomides: As Courtenay.

Malacresta Vercesi: Astrology and the Everyday Magic course don't mix all that well at the best of times. It's not that there's no astrology magic in the course, it's just that... Astrologians aren't known for being practical people. It gets worse when you realize Vercesi is a theoretician. The course isn't going to hold his interest.

Marc Sury: Idolizes his father, would avoid upsetting their relationship.

Milena di Montors: Theoretician AND an honors student. Likely to have the grades, not especially interested.

Neso Ulleri: Competitive entry keeps him from applying! Shame, too, as it would probably help him.

Raoul Leconte: Will profess disinterest, and maybe it's true, but really the barrier is that he doesn't want to be noticed by competing.

Zoe Melis: A curvekiller like this doesn't usually touch it. Although, it really can be practical magic...

Note that Aranaz students are the least likely to be interested in Everyday Magic; it's 'beneath' their ambitions. Even though they're the only college that will pretty much universally meet the requirements, thanks to the inclusion of Calligraphy. Professor von Rupprecht must believe the course is valuable enough that he campaigned for the inclusion of Calligraphy as a qualifying class. If not him, then somebody must have. Very rare is the student who thinks 'Calligraphy' compares fairly to the other magic classes.

I haven't played or studied the adventures. Information in the adventure paths that would bias students towards or away from the 'pedestrian' world of Everyday Magic courses is information I haven't got. Also, for no reason I can clearly elucidate, it doesn't seem to me that Honors Plafox would thrive in the class.

oO I thought you decided to even reduce year 1 because its allready to full in you opinion and now you come up with a complet new Skillset?

Btw right now I don't realy see whats this Everyday Magic is good for. If it is for bether doing the spell then its already Enspell (what will be a class skill in later years) and if it about common magic don't we have it already in the lower ranks of the differnt magics?

If you realy whant magic that is usefull for everyday uses like washing why not just make up new spells instead of a complet new skill set? Especial because this common magic uses are already in Adventures,Events and Holidays set to be known by academagia students of good enough level in theyr magic skills.

Edit: The easyst to find is "Holiday [itinera]" where you use Glamour for clean the candlestick holders.

Edit 2: But then there is also Incant water for a shower, enchant to keep you cloths clean, Negation to dows a fire ect. already used in Events.

This is a later-year suggestion, hence it having course requirements. I wouldn't dare suggest a new skillset for Year 1. It would be irresponsible of me.

As for all those skill checks... I've rarely passed a skill check in any kind of event, adventure, or holiday without buffing myself like crazy and fixating on extracurricular studies to the point of skipping class to do more training.

Not sure if you already saw my Edits where I put some exaples of everyday magic the player already use in year 1.

Oh and Negation for Levitation looks also to became common magic by now.

I saw the first, and now I've seen the second. It looks like my response already covers it. I've rarely passed a skill check in any kind of event, adventure, or holiday without tremendous effort. How much worse for the NPCs, who after all, aren't constantly bombarded with random events? They also don't have intelligent training systems to push them through the skills tree, or recurrent patterns of Cleansing and Remaking themselves such as develop in many of my playthroughs. The things the player does are not always the rulestick to measure everything by.

Just because a few students are clever and creative enough to be constantly finding new uses for their magic doesn't mean that all students are - and nor does it mean that the class wouldn't be fun, which is kind of more the point anyways for a class like this. Supported by students and alumni, seen as frivolous or undignified by parents, spurned by the most highbrow or upper class students... A class that specifically teaches the kind of magic used by the lower classes (instead of the kind of magic used by Ye Olde Grande Wizards) would be an interesting change of pace.

"Everyday" may not be the best term, but "Domestic" makes it sound terrible. "Applications of Magic" is a very neutral term. Maybe too neutral, but maybe that's what is appropriate. I'm not sure. I think someone more clever than me should name this.

"Everyday" may not be the best term, but "Domestic" makes it sound terrible. "Applications of Magic" is a very neutral term. Maybe too neutral, but maybe that's what is appropriate. I'm not sure. I think someone more clever than me should name this.

Domestic does sound pretty horrible. My bad.

Magical Appliance(s)? A bit weird.

Magic Utilization/Utility/Utilities or Utility of Magic or just Utility?

Usage of Magic feels a bit more about laws, ethics and theories.

Magic Implementation? Incorporation of Magic?

Living Magic? Okay, I am grasping at straws here....

Maybe Everyday Magic isn't so bad after all. :mellow:

Perhaps the class should just be called "Utility" referring to the Mundane Utility that the course focuses on. EDIT: Wait, you suggested that one. Well consider me in agreement! One vote for Utility!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived