Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

I think he's looking for a description akin to those in the posts that are linked in the first post of the log thread. So a brief introduction of the character

Ah, yes. Brain fart. Excuse me...

"Aiden is a dark haired mage "Recovered" from Arcadia from the mages of Meritina. Not liking to deal with human interactions, he is more aloofish than your average mage, (to say nothing of his high level of eccentricity) though he is still quite kind. Due to politicking at his previous covenant, as well as his tendency to be somewhat submissive in the face of peers, he got screwed and was forced to spy on Libellus... A botched effort which necessitated the joining the party. During his apprenticeship, due the the interests of all the magi there was nobody who could cast the Aegis, and as a result, he was given several "incentives" to focus his study on Vim magic.. An act which had mixed results in effectiveness."

Now, Given the events of the last forest adventure, it becomes clear I need an attack spell! I know that Creo Vim is a no-no for attacking magi, but how effective would that be against regular animals/people/giant insects.? Enough to disable, as we've seen agains the grogs who accidently triggered Cal's lab's trap?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, yes. Brain fart. Excuse me...

Added. Anyone missing in the list should speak up.

Just realize Schwartzbart is playing two mage and one companion.

He cleaned out his lab bevore he left in Autumn 1215, thats why we actual have 2 labs free in the tower.

Noooo our giant flying bird is goneeeeee. Now we will have to fly with the magic boat instead.

We really should figure out someway to pilot the boat without needing to roll for failure.

Freespace: For an attack spell, you might want to consider reading a tractatus and learning a spell of another Form - Vim can cause Warping, but that's usually not a terribly effective way of doing it. The crystal dart spell Makara and Class have been using is one small-level alternative, the sleep spell Baruch and Adrian use is another. Or you could come up with something of your own.

Make people appear in a long flowing and sparkling pink gown. No one would want to fight in those, and most males would flee the scene rather than be caught prancing around in that while tripping in the fabric... Not sure if it would help with giant bugs. Even small giant bugs :)

@Freespace we have the following low level Spells in our Library that could be interesting for encounters:

Dance of the Staves ReHe5 (ArM5 p.138) only usfull against people armed with at last partial wooden weapons

The Call to Slumber ReMe10 (ArM5 p.151) Sleep sweet sleep

Aura of Ennobled Presence MuIm10 (ArM5 p.145) +3 to influence other to not attack

Circle of Beast Warding ReAn5 (ArM5 p.120) protection Circle that prefent normal beast to cross

The other spells might be to difficult to learn if you focused complet on Vim Magic.

Remember even a score of 0 in a Art allows you to learn spells as long your Labscore is high enough.

Also your Labscore is Technique + Form + Int + Magic Theory + 4 Aura and for the spells above you just need to have the labscore higher then theyr level.

Inventing a new spell might be to time consuming right now.

CJ: Were you planning on running an adventure next time, or should I and Schwarzbart run the tavern prelude to my Hyperborean story? If the latter, would you like to play? With which character? The monk and nun we brought with us from the nunnery might be possibilities, for example? The adventure will be about 3-4 sessions long with the prelude included, I should think.

Everyone else: If CJ has given you any information related to the city's flying powers, the catacombs, or the Hyperborean quarter, I would appreciate it if you could PM it to me. Trying to keep things canon, here ;)

Btw the age of around 3000 years of this flying city could come to a shock to some stong beliver of the Young Earth creationism and definitve come to a shock to Dirk as it will be extrem difficult to even try to replicate the magic used for building this.

Well, I for one know that the bible has several levels of meaning. Sometimes it really pays to know a bit of the original language. (hebrew in this case.) As I'm sure most of you know, translations can be difficult, so it's best to look at the meaning of the original word.

http://thelivingwords.ancient-hebrew.org/creation.pdf

I don't believe the world was "Formed out of nothing" anywhere near as recently as several thousand years ago. I also believe that humans existed prior to then as well.

Nah, YEC largely dates from the 1960's and teachings of Henry Morris. Origen had written in the 3rd Century -

"For who that has understanding will suppose that the first, and second, and third day, and the evening and the morning, existed without a sun, and moon, and stars? And that the first day was, as it were, also without a sky? And who is so foolish as to suppose that God, after the manner of a husbandman, planted a paradise in Eden, towards the east, and placed in it a tree of life, visible and palpable, so that one tasting of the fruit by the bodily teeth obtained life? And again, that one was a partaker of good and evil by masticating what was taken from the tree? And if God is said to walk in the paradise in the evening, and Adam to hide himself under a tree, I do not suppose that anyone doubts that these things figuratively indicate certain mysteries, the history having taken place in appearance, and not literally."

However his opinion does not count for much, given his later dubious ideas in the eyes of the Church - we need to turn to the Doctor, St. Augustine of Hippo

"But simultaneously with time the world was made, if in the world's creation change and motion were created, as seems evident from the order of the first six or seven days. For in these days the morning and evening are counted, until, on the sixth day, all things which God then made were finished, and on the seventh the rest of God was mysteriously and sublimely signalized. What kind of days these were it is extremely difficult, or perhaps impossible for us to conceive, and how much more to say"

Augustine did not believe the days were literal days. I love this quote, from Augustine --

"It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation."

Essay by me on myths about Darwin and YEC here --

http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/damning-darwin-the-perils-of-myth-making-in-the-history-of-science/

We are in a (just) pre-Aquinas period, and as Freespace points out creation is not ex nihilo - the universe is in the Hebrew formed from chaos as I recall: the contemporary position for our characters the world is very old, and perhaps 3-5,000 years old, but there is no need to believe in a literal seven day Creation and the concept of YEC is alien, because no one has reason to doubt the Earth is young. And indeed in the Ars Magica setting it is: how young I can't trell you without going downstairs and looking it up, but I can if anyone interested :)

cj x

Incidentally logically and philosophically YEC claims are coherent and unfalsifiable - because all empirical evidence to the contrary could have been created with the cosmos. The same applies to if the universe was created yesterday, complete with all our memories. While I don't personally think this is the case, my disbelief of this is a faith claim too - and i simply mention this because we should be humble when dealing with others ideas and accept the underlying axioms that inform our own concepts may be incorrect. As our culture (in the UK) overwhelmingly decries Creationists as stupid, I would like to point out that there are many Creationists who are anything but, and our own (meaning my own) smugness may be based as much upon our cultural conditioning as any real coherent philosophical position. ;)

cj x

CJ: Were you planning on running an adventure next time, or should I and Schwarzbart run the tavern prelude to my Hyperborean story? If the latter, would you like to play? With which character? The monk and nun we brought with us from the nunnery might be possibilities, for example? The adventure will be about 3-4 sessions long with the prelude included, I should think.

Everyone else: If CJ has given you any information related to the city's flying powers, the catacombs, or the Hyperborean quarter, I would appreciate it if you could PM it to me. Trying to keep things canon, here ;)

I'll play, and yes sounds good. I think I might play the monk :)

cj x

Ha, CJ, sounds like we could have quite the discussion on this! ...However, that surely would derail this thread completely! That said I'm not very fluent in the works of Aquinas save a few bits and pieces.

Anyway, what was the final result of the adventure? And when is the next story taking place?

We better figure out if Calpurnia is back by then or not.

Most likely no, though depending on when that little adventure took place (techncially both) it might be sooner or later. Though currently Calpurnia's side adventure is still in spring, yet it can in all honesty end up being years should she find things she wants to learn but can only learn there.

Now then good luck with your adventure, I just hope you also planed out how you can return to the covenant.

Because beside finding out where the covenant is right now you also need to find a way to get there.

Also I doubt that the Troll we encountered is any higher in the fearie realm then our player fearie chars.

Now then good luck with your adventure, I just hope you also planed out how you can return to the covenant.

Because beside finding out where the covenant is right now you also need to find a way to get there.

Also I doubt that the Troll we encountered is any higher in the fearie realm then our player fearie chars.

I have a way to get back, though a way to find it will be a interesting task however I'm pretty certain I would have a arcane(?) connection somewhere back in the tower(like hair or some other thing). On a side note I will be trying my best to keep her in the story/PC as I find her character well she will add so much drama to our saga the longer she stays and more so the longer she lives.

Archived