Black Chicken Studios Forums

Thoughts of a new player

Hungry Monkey

Hey guys, first off, I want to say that you've made a pretty cool and enjoyable game. Thanks! But like all of us egotistical maniacs I just wanted to express a couple of personal opinions.

I just played through Academagia twice and here is what I noticed:

- Classes are not important (other than to not get reprimanded). There are no class projects, assignments, or grades really. It would be kind of neat especially after both of the exams if you received a report card. I know we get the exam grades, but it would still be cool to get like a mid-term report card with the actual class grades (especially since some are graded on a curve). And of course at the end of the year, the same thing. The game finishes and you don't even know if you passed your classes.

- Spells, items, and food. I found it kind of odd, but I didn't cast a single spell or use a single item, or eat any food in either of the games I played. There just wasn't a reason to do it. The bonuses were too insignificant to warrant using an entire action. My idea here is that you have a "quick action" that is optional for each day where you can cast a spell, eat some candy, or use an item. These things don't take 3-4 hours like the rest of the activities or actions, and provide small and temporary bonuses. It just seems that since we're in magic school, spells should be a little more common than not.

Well, that's really it. Thanks again and take care. :D

Hungry Monkey, a challege for you: Try casting a few spells at the next run. There are a few VERY grand spells and quite a few ones that are decent, all of them making attribute and skill/skillstep gains easier.

Cleanse and Remake (from religion if memory serves) were in particular useful to me. (admittedly it has been some time since my last playthrough but I've downloaded the latest patch so all I need now is time.)

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if we could use some of our magic more without using action slots for it. Maybe by making easier spells available and have our skill in the spells skill pillar and concentration and... Well skills that makes casting easier, faster and all that, make progressively harder spells available by quick use. And then we could have more special spells and custom modified spells take mroe time, like adding extra benefits through additional phemes.

The harder the spell and modifications the less likely you will be able to pull it off without proper preparation and rehersal before casting the spell. That would explain why soem spells might take mroe time and others can be fairly instant cast. You know the spell, its simple, just shake your wand and it's done, but if it's tricky you might have to consult your books, and draw the phemes a few times to make sure you got it done right.

Crafting could be the same, quick combines and masterpiece level stuff. Or at least masterpiece for a junior student.

I also heard classes might offer more or become more interesting. I'm looking forward to see what will happen in Year 2 :) What I liked about Academagia was the complexity and possibilities and replayability of the game offered by the complexity and many different paths and random events.

Still remember my first poor durand student though... with poor athletic skills and bad health that got into trouble all the time.

It took a while to learn the different paths to sucess. Sure as hard as school might have been for the first student I think it ended up above averag in the end even thoguh it was a very rocky ride, especialy at the beginning of the year when skills were non existant.

Another thing would be to divide events into easier events that happen earlier in the year, to make it easier on the students and promote growth. Also it makes sense that if the pranks and bullying is done by your class mates earlier in the year, they would also be less skilled and less skill would "likely" be needed to counter it.

Archived