Black Chicken Studios Forums

Beginner's Help

captrory1

The issue is with Longshade that I can never get my Filing high enough fast enough where it's open before the Mantle of stars. See my post in the bugs threat about the rigged Longshade RNG.

I rest only once, maybe twice during the entire year. Mind, I also save/load heavily at the start to avoid any random event that doesn't go my way, so there you go. The spell is still useful early on to unlock Playfulness, since getting that to 8 hands out Bon Vivant, and the +1 Luck from that combined with Study Mastery: Negation and a starting 2 Luck is enough to qualify for Golden. I get my emotions started nice and early.

Yeah, Zoe...exceptions might have to be made. And I don't find people randomly joining your clique to be useful, but than again it's only happened to me so far with freaking Zorzi "Poster Child For Useless Clique Ability" Galea.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I confess that I don't find Mantle of Stars very useful, but then Astrology is one of the pillars I pretty much ignore. Longshade on the other hand unlocks most of my skills and buffs me until the sphinx is both unlocked and certain (barring the inherent risk).

I'm trying to cut down on save-scumming so currently I'm taking an extra point of fitness rather than a background that would give me a point elsewhere and skill bonuses as that should avoid a slug of rest actions; also I'm happy with some failed REs as I consider a point of stress (or even better vitality) fairly cheap if I get to unlock a skill that I want, I'm tragic enough to have deliberately chosen rolls that will fail over rolls that should succeed at times to unlock a really desired skill.

The Mantle of Stars becomes much less wasteful, and in turn much more useful, when you mod it to give +1 SS to two random Astrology skills rather than +2 SS to one. Which is what I did.

Yeah, unlocking a good skill is one reason why I unashamedly and unquestioningly might accept a failed Random Event, assuming it doesn't do something like steal my (as far as I know irreplaceable) Marat Deck. Thing is that I find very few that actually reveal a skill I want that I can't get another, easier way.

• 4 years later...

Hello all, some advice for a beginner needed. 

1.Should I go for a balanced character, or should I limit myself with 2-3 attributes and try to max them?

2.should I invest 1 background point for libraries for early access instead of 1 attribute point?

3.what should I generally try to do whitin the first month?

1. Balanced, with priority given to your class-related attributes if you run low on background points.

2. I'd say no, put the point into Insight instead. Immediate libraries can be put to work, but they're mostly a luxury. Focus on studying in the Venalicium Library early on and you'll unlock them soon enough anyway.

3. Get your Clique together, unlock libraries if you didn't get the background, keep on schedule with your studies, and finish the tutorial part of Oan's adventure. Don't worry about not going on strings of grand adventures or spending a turn Resting every now and then because REs went badly, that's early game Academagia for you. Once you've got a few months of skill points and the odd extra attribute point under your belt you'll be ready for some adventures.

@waimaozi: I prefer to use the unlocked libraries backgrounds because it means that characters can use them without getting into trouble. Furthermore, when playing as a character who is taking Revision, access to the Library of Mantele from the very beginning makes it easier to justify studying non-class skills from the beginning because one is guaranteed increase in a class-related revision subskill.

1. Balanced, with priority given to your class-related attributes if you run low on background points

ok, then another question: should i pick classes reagrding their usefulness or concentrate around specific attribute (mostly intelligence based probably)? My experiments with class choice tend to finish with 3-5 attributes required, so it is hard to call it a specialization). Or if played right it will not be important later on as I will get enough attribute points for everything?

Get your Clique together

what should I take into consideration when i pick up a friend for a clique? As far as I understand, +1 attribute is nice only in the beginning? What is a manageable size of a clique?

Thanks for replies, as it really helps a lot.

18 minutes ago, waimaozi said:

ok, then another question: should i pick classes reagrding their usefulness or concentrate around specific attribute (mostly intelligence based probably)? My experiments with class choice tend to finish with 3-5 attributes required, so it is hard to call it a specialization). Or if played right it will not be important later on as I will get enough attribute points for everything?

what should I take into consideration when i pick up a friend for a clique? As far as I understand, +1 attribute is nice only in the beginning? What is a manageable size of a clique?

Usefulness, definitely. If you have a 2 in a class' related attribute to start with you should be fine taking that class. Maybe you'll have to do some extra studying on the side if one or two subskills are particularly hard, but that's nothing you probably wouldn't have to do even if you had a 3 or 4 in the class' attribute anyway.

As much as you want to take into consideration, really. If you want to limit yourself to making friends with classmates in your college, you can. If you want to nab only the ones with the best Clique abilities and ignore everything else, that's also doable. Harder, but doable. If you want to have no friends at all, also possible, though not something I'd recommend, especially for a beginner.

For a first playthrough, I'd say grab one or two people from your own college. Don't worry about their Clique Ability or skills, just read the description of your college mates and nab whoever you think you'd hang out with. There's students with Clique abilities that can completely change the way one plays the game (hi there Zoe :)), but it's better to learn how to play the game normally before trying a playthrough where you do something like skip the Venalicium.

ok, thanks, guys. Also, some tactical questions: is it possible to maximize somehow success rate of potentially creepling route?It seems to be an obvious way of increasing fitness, but I've tried it several times with no result, and save/load is not what I'm seeking.

Also, should I grab space pirates background?+1 charm and an access to acrobatics seems nice, but +10% malus to discovery is a bit discouraging? Will I be able later with attributes increased to talk me out of detention? Or will it be a problem till the game end?

@waimaozi: For a useful guide to how to maximize percentile based chance of success roles, including use of the Run Potentially Crippling Route, see

, where I and @Metis hash out issues. Basically, the best ways to rig such an activity's odds in your favour are to play as an Aranaz or Avila student. Since Avila's core subject includes (through ways to maximize the Numerology subskill), a bonus to fitness, this may be the better college, especially if your character can somehow discover the Heraldry subskill Honor of Mallen Field and train it up a few levels (or to maximum) - this is possible.

As for the sky pirates background, it best works with characters with high charm and charm-based classes (rhetoric/glamour). There are ways (temporary and permanent) to reduce the chance of discovery rate - see: https://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Chance_of_Discovery

I recall there having been some discussion before on whether CoS% actually works for abilities like Run a Potentially Crippling Training Route, but I don't recall the conclusion. Either way the only way to make those abilities more likely to succeed is stacking CoS%, unless that doesn't work, in which case there's no way to reasonably change them.

+10% CoD is not even remotely worth 1 point of Charm, unless you know what you're doing. It's not impossible to overcome, as Rhialto pointed out, but you'd really want to beeline those reductions ASAP and that's not something I'd recommend for a beginner.

Pamela is quite weak compared to most. Though she is still a true Familiar, and has at least some potential.

Mr. Pebbles is good for little else but screwing things up and providing comic relief. :)

ok, finally started. Is it a deceint strategy early on to pick Zoe and combine her with study at the Venalicium Library to maximize study effect for attribute gains? 

Also, is there are any ways to maximize chances of opening planning, acrobatics etc? Or it is just a matter of luck?

And also, I've noticed, that I can't befriend anyone after Zoe, even though I have a blue color chances, is it because they are already engaged in other cliques?

@waimaozi: Easiest way to learn about planning, without a doubt, is through studying zoology (because the insects subskill, when trained to a certain level, gives a bonus to planning and other things). If the character is not taking zoology, get the character's plot skill to 4. This unlocks the gamers' guild, which trains a character in, among other things, planning.

The Mad Hill Obstacle Course, unlocked with a Striving Against the Foe subskill (Compete skill) of 2, increases acrobatics, among other things, through use.

You could do worse than befriending Zoe early and rushing study max bonuses.

It's also possible to get Insects informed during Oan's tutorial, since there's an Insects investigation check that you can fail to get informed of the subskill, but whether you actually fail it is pure luck unless you save/load.

The color-coding system for the Befriend Action is basically irrelevant, since Befriend has a bunch of extra modifiers that change the odds of success drastically. Such as your target already being in a Clique already, that's a very high penalty to your roll.

• 2 weeks later...

hello once again, guys. One question: how do you add to your clique those who you want to early? Just raising up the relationship seems to be like a waste of time to me. And if I wait for a couple of weeks, there is a big chance, that the guy would join someone else. Any tips?

Also, would it be fruitful to take prodigy in negation if I intend to take it as a class? It seems wise to invest a point to an attribute or library instead.

Prodigy in Negation can be very useful if the character is meant to not merely study negation but excel at it (getting, for example, 11s in every Negation subskill). This is a valid play style for some that need not conflict with playing adventures. In one of may games, I took the high negation skill route and was still able to complete adventures for: Tabin, Magsa, Prudence, Miya, Sima, and Sigalis, as well as every single Durand only quest and the tutorial adventure and the main adventure (among others!). My clique (led by my character) had Sima, Sigalis, and Prudence. That having been said,. if the play style is less focused on academic, prodigy Negation can be skipped.

My priority for backgrounds are:

- get each attribute to 2 (maybe with the exception of Insight if I know I can get war to 2 in the first week)

- get Wealthy, after all in year 2 the wealth of your parents limit how much money you get every other week.

- Secret Background / Academy of Thei (or is it Thai?) if I want Gate / Mastery magic

- Apprenticeship Page because level 10 Favor from Professor can give skill max increases (because with this background you can get skill max increases with 3-4 actions the skill max increases in other backgrounds are nice but no longer that great)

The remaining rest go to flavor

For the Clique thing, I spam Befriend until they join up. Maybe burn a Stress Bonus if it proves necessary, that plus the Garden Gallery should be enough to make getting any second or third friend possible (so long as they're not in a Clique already, of course).

Archived