Black Chicken Studios Forums

Why is it so hard to get by without magic?

dustman

With so few students of Academagia it's unbelievable everyone relies on magic in the universe's economy. Magic is everywhere, magical creatures are aplenty and in way too many activities magic is the best/easiest option. Pick most of the magic schools at creation time and you'll have a breeze, do without and you'll spend months improving few bizarre skills used in only few adventures.

Let's say you improve espionage, spy and sleight-of-hands. A lot of skills to train, some nice bonuses, but... it's all covered by one magic school, Glamour, where all four skills can be maxed very, very quick.

Permanent increase and temporary buff has it pro and con, and for us that focus on improving skill, we statistically should have a easier time at later year as we have a higher score in skills which require less boost with magic compare to people that depend on magic to solve all their problem, which they will overall spend more turns on casting spell repeatably to solve each problem as the years goes on. They also won't be able to handle random event since they can't prepare a temporary buff for it statistically.

Permanent increase and temporary buff has it pro and con, and for us that focus on improving skill, we statistically should have a easier time at later year as we have a higher score in skills which require less boost with magic compare to people that depend on magic to solve all their problem, which they will overall spend more turns on casting spell repeatably to solve each problem as the years goes on. They also won't be able to handle random event since they can't prepare a temporary buff for it statistically.

Skills, listed on Wiki: 55 (54 for human player)

Of them, magic (including forbidden): 8 (and how many events use Gate or Mastery?)

Social (depending on what you put in): 9

Professional occupations: 4

Craft: 4

Hell, even arts, with Aesthetics, Art and Music, aren't pushovers.

And Adventures that use magic skills give quite few benefits to other skills.

Well, there is the Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards trope. Being the strongest man in the world only goes so far when a 14 year old girl can spend three days buffing herself to the point she can skip mountains across the Atlantic Ocean.

However, the strength of magic is ultimately its flexibility. Not even touching Gates and Mastery, you could learn all the schools and be in really good shape to tackle most things at the spur of the moment and anything with time to prepare. And that's how it should be.

If you have the power to bend or break the rules of reality you are so far ahead of anyone else in terms of options they can't keep up.

Is the complain (if it is a complaint, might just be an observation) that 'leveling up' subjects as Rhetoric takes longer than most magical subjects?

As for the world relying heavily on magic,... well, yes, to some extent. A lot of it is not though, it may be affected by it, but not relying on it. Farms get by, transport get by, merchants get by, doctors engineers administrators... Many of these exist also without magic. Sure the trees that are used for lumber are magical in nature, but it doesn't take a mage to figure out that they are useful. Sure a farm might benefit from having a mage around to help with the growing or harvesting, but they can do without...

What I am trying to say is that the world goes by without mages. Mages are a bit of a defuse term as there are great difference in skill, but generally speaking they are a select group. The mages we play even more so, as attending the Academagia is a privilege weeding out 99.9% of the total population. These are the sons and daughters of the filthy rich and/or the brightest minds. It is a school for magic which also caters to the skills that the filthy rich or the brightest minds might also need. These aren't the main focus but rather a side treat for the people who has parents that demand mastery in certain areas.

Sorry if it is a bit much.

I'm not really sure if this post was aiming at the roleplaying aspect or the actual gaming aspect though...

OK, let me re-iterate a bit.

My last two chars, an Aranaz student (+ Rhetoric, Grammar, Enchant, Dialectics) and a Morvidus one (+ Negation, Incantation, Glamour, Athletic). First spent first couple of month befriending few people, second used it to study at Venaculum. Not much was spent on direct training.

Result: first student started adventures almost at mid-term, second - quite a bit earlier. To finish adventure chains (I seldom start tons of adventures to leave them hanging) first one used quite a bit of time to compliment required skills (and this is in a group of six), while second almost never repeated unsuccessful steps more than three times (and did it alone, plus spent a lot of training, all to lvl 10+, on things like Duel, War, Language and History).

So, part of random events/adventure steps requiring magic skills compared to all other skills combined is overwhelming. Strategically, it's far more beneficial to pick at least three magic schools and simply forget about everything else, maybe picking Athletics as well. Observation, Char Study, Awareness, Perception and Persuasion are used quite a lot as well, but they are subskills, and many of them are easy to train.

Magic is too cheap to train and too easy to use. Of course, it's just my opinion.

It's magic though, of course it is easier.

Why bother learning how to defend against hordes of enemies with a sword if you can just hurl a fireball at them? Why learn how to construct a pulley if you can just negate gravity?

While some skills are irreplaceable - you have to be aware of enemies to defend against them -, those, too, can be augmented by magic. There is a spell which allows you to channel the gods, why bother training for a race if you can just cast that? We're not talking about elemental magic here, the Academagia magic system is nearly "Harry-Potter"-esque in its limitlessness.

And, in my oppinion, that's not a bad thing. Yes, characters focusing on non-magical skills will have a harder time in adventures, but thats okay, because from a role-playing perspective that makes sense. At an elite magic school, a wizard in training will have an easier time than a wannabe-lawyer.

I think balancing of magic, as it happens in MMO's would be damaging to this game.

I bet there are anti-magic field and stuff in future years, or rolls that just test your base skill without modifiers and buffs.

Also, story-wise, construct a pulley left behind a permanent fixture to help people even if you aren't here. Maybe next year the god face a dragon-siege and Remake and Cleanse is down for maintenance. Same goes for other skills.

but wouldn't that make the dragons a bit ... unthreatening?

I would guess that it need equivalent amount of forces to cancel out each other, so please make a 50-80 difficulty negation roll.

Still, the most dangerous thing about dragons seems to be their ability to will spell into being ... if you cancel that out, they are just big flying lizards; and the technology in Elumia sufficently advanced to kill those without too much effort. Also wouldn't anti-magic fields screws the magic keeping your island/ship/flying fortress suspended?

Ninjas everywhere! :)

Well, the I'm pretty sure that not only is willing spells into existance going to be possible, but will it will be a lesser proscribed art. Probably it will be treated like Mastery and Gates except it's not quite severe enough to be a capital offense. Either way, it's a game over from our perspective.

I can see the usefulness or willign spells into existance.

When youre completely paralyzsed and can't move or the "enemy" think they got you out of the game, you might still be able to will a spell into existance that frees you or helps you somehow. Even a lesser spell could help if you're desperate.

Either by willing in a negation to break the paralysis or something to cut the ropes that are binding you or whatever. Depends on the situation. It seems very useful for situations where you got no other options.

This kind of made me think of that Irenicus from Baldus gate 2.

No matter how many paralysis or imprisonment or disintegrate or any other atempts to contain, silence or hold or even kill failed, he just keept going.

Silence the wizard! spells keep comming!

Stun! Paralyze! They just keep comming!

I'm guessing that was actualy a matter of having solid defences against magic. But Being able to summon spells when you can't form phemes physicaly seems like a very powerful ability. Probably a lot harder though.

Archived