Black Chicken Studios Forums

Relase date for year 2?

Albert

• 4 months later...

I say that every day that goes by increases my expectations a little bit. The hype that follows long development cycles can be *very* hard to live up to.

Look at Duke Nukem Forever. It wasn't an especially bad game from what I could tell. (the subject matter was far too cheesy for me to have any interest in it, though) In the end, most of the hype it rode upon was what was doomed it to the realm of relative crappiness.

I'm not saying that this will happen in Y2, but it is something to keep in mind of the series as a whole. Especially considering the likeliness that the wait for years beyond two will almost certainly be longer.

Well Free, I can tell you that Duke Nukem Forever suffered from something called Developmental Hell, being it was constantly pushed back for over ten years. I remember the article after Duke Nukem 3D and getting excited to kick more alien ass and chew more gum, but the engine changed for Duke several times and ideas were kept and lost, so the end product was a sort of garbled mess that didn't know exactly what it wanted to do coupled with its raunchy jokes that passed when PC gaming was a niche audience, but now with the multimedia, people didn't find attractive women hanging off his arms and 80's one liners funny anymore. I personally hope that year 2 doesn't have those problems of having to remake their engine from the ground up several times. I mean, what could go wrong?

Indeed.Y2 shouldn't have those problems....

But I have this itch that tells me that since Y2 is already at least 2 years behind the originally scheduled plan, Y3-5 will be late arrivals by that margin also, and if each game in line is late also, Y5 will suffer the accumulated cascading lateness of all games before it and due to that may cause similar problems.

I concede that it's an extreme worst case scenario, but still it is important to acknowledge the possibility.

• 1 year later...

So, pokes the legate, 2015 Q3 is here, how's it going? :D

Soon I'll have to visit and help you relase the game :D Where is that release button which got stuck? ;)

It's hard to imagine that achievements can get a game stuck :D

Soon I'll have to hire people to protest against Game Achievements outside gameconventions ;)

Year 1 steam

Game save converter

Year 2?

The current hold-up is determining whether it'd be worth it to first update the Y1 UI closer to Y2 standard (read: better) before the Steam release, how much work that'd cost, and how to make sure not to make this update Steam-exclusive so as not to screw over old fans. IIRC after that comes maybe Steam achievements, after that comes Y1-Y2 import final testing, and after that - hopefully - comes Y2. Of course there's also other projects going on in the meantime.

Archived