Black Chicken Studios Forums

Just finished my run.

Leon Cross

Pretty fantastic game, loved pretty much everything about it. I felt perhaps there were a few too many skills (in so far as things like "What do you mean I need to raise Perception, Observation and Awareness seperately), but not a huge deal given how much time you have to work on things. Just a minor irritation.

I don't think my run was particularly optimal. I managed to score between 120-200 on all my finals, but my mid term grades were only between 20-50, so I doubt my final scores in those subjects will be particularly good. I did finish a ton of quests, finished with a few attributes above 10 and none under 3, so that wasn't too bad. I think if I planned a character's actions from day one, I could probably do much better, though.

Random questions:

What do the questions at the end effect?

How do you find out if you passed with honors?

When it was announced that there is a DLC 17 it also was said in the same breath that Year 2 will probably released around the time of DLC 17.

So expect that you have to wait at last 2 month after DLC 16 is made public probably some more given how many side projects BCS have running.

(Holdfast is still not complete finished, they work already on a new Kickstarter and maybe some other things)

I don't think my run was particularly optimal. I managed to score between 120-200 on all my finals, but my mid term grades were only between 20-50, so I doubt my final scores in those subjects will be particularly good.

If you look at Freespace's Yearbook you'll get an idea of how little the Mid-term Score matters. You're probably fine with 120 on most of the classes and 200 would mean no worrying at all :)

The link to the forum topic? Or the download? You don't need to download it to get the idea, I meant more "read the thread". Schwarzbart listed the Final Exam percentages of each class here. If the links to the topic don't work, just search for "Academagia Gradebook" or replace the showtopic number in the url with 2790. Otherwise, I added some of the info to the Exams Guide the other day: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Exams:_A_Guide#Class_Grade

I'm not sure about Research though... I've only barely started to do the Research Topics and I don't think I was very efficient raising my Research Subskills anyway.

Reserch is available, but it sounded like it was something for later years.

I wonder, those of us who did some Research, will it benefit us progressionwise in later years beyond the bonus we recived? Like having lore and knowledge, experience.

There should be situations where past research experience in a certain area of expertise should provide a bonus or additional options or exits.

I guess it all requiers some work though.

In year 1 Library knowledge gave boosts and solutions, but Research in a specific area should be able to provide similar boosts, or possibly even beyond the sucess you get from a sucessful incantation or Clockwork skill check.

Instead of just having a good idea of what you're doing you feel very certain that you know what you're doing.

The amount of Research topics seems stagering though.

How will it work? Will 10 Research points in Civil law or Incantationmethods or Architecture be the maximum in later years?

Or will later years requier 20 or 50 points to be a real expert?

I do think Research should add something to your character. some kind of Academic expertise beyond just being familiar with the basic concepts.

Having 13 or 15 in Incantation methods as a skill would give you good basic idea of what's invovled and typical approaches. While Research of the area provides a deeper registry and library like knowledge of these methods, instead of consulting spellbooks for more complex casting or rituals you know them more or less even if it was a while since you read about it, you might even know several different methods to accomplish the same result.

I don't know but it feels like like Extensive research beyond just training the skills and studying for it should yield something extra, not just a small bonus to a skill or stat.

@albert

I agree. I think unlocking adventures or events would fit well. After all, increasing your skills is more like practicing the subject while research just involves reading (unless some of it's supposed to be experimental research...?). Increasing skills can certainly involve reading (since there are lores) but research suggests the focus is different. Learning more about a subject, rather than becoming better at it, could open up adventures or events that could involve

• exploring for an item
  • searching for empirical evidence of some rare or doubted research
  • getting closer to a student because you learned some interesting family history of theirs
  • befriending a Mineta shopkeeper and getting free weekly caramel chews for life because you found out about their past and they're a sucker for flattery...
  • impressing professors

I've been trying to think of what the point of Researching things like "Insult" (besides Strength) as I don't even have my character very high in the skill itself. All I can imagine is reading about famous insult face-offs and insulters (Guybrush!). It occurs to me that Research isn't very efficient to raise attributes. Most adventures take less than 10 actions to complete... I just like the idea of my character being a bookworm like me and learning for the sake of learning.

That's a pretty odd coding issue. Any word if they're cleaning that up in Y2?

And I didn't save scum very much for my first play through. It's just something that I noticed now and again.

Year 2 use a different engine so hopeful its gone then but at last for me its no big issue because Academagia start up really fast. Still its annoying.

Leon

That sounds like you did very well imo. I have played this game more than a few times, and most of the time i get scores a around perhaps a little over 100, and considered it well, and my best attributes normally int and wis around 5 to 7 a few times a singular 8. Probably am I trying to learn to many skills, and to do to many things in one game.

Lakrids you know that you can improve your exam score by temporary boosting your Skill trough spells or other means?

Also there many items around that gives you lasting increases to your skill or subskills. In astrology I pushed my score to 270 in my last game just because I was able to do so with one action.

Yes in the last couple of games, I have begun using spell, if I can find one on my spell list. But I think my "problem" is more that I before, did I only compare my score to the npc student, and there my score seemed be in the high end, if not perhaps not the highest. Good enough I thought, until I checked out other players scores .

Furthermore my play-style is not planned in any details, only with vague goals, and staying away from other spoilers and wiki, makes my play through not optimized in some ways.

I also thinks, that it's kind of cheating on use magical to raise your exam score ;). With that I mean both the game and probably also the culture of the school, support of using magic in all parts of the game/life. But if I was running the school I would negate all magic and item on a student before they did test.

For Astrolgy its even a non magical ability that boost your skill by 8!

So what would you do punish the one who thought ahead and made a new Star Chart ready to use for the exam or punish the one who didn't even learn enough Astrology to make this Star Chart?

Edit: The next thing is that you should learn when and how to use magic and isn't a exam not exact the right time for the when for skill affecting magic?

Isn't it similar to people who try to get as much as possible in their short term memory for a test and then within days after the test already have forgotten about many things?

I only did so well on the exams by stacking phenoms on 6 finger. Wand amplification when time allowed and utilizing Ghorshik's(sp) workshop for the +5 boost. That and Arithmetic gets what, 14 by itself just with it's own sub skill bonuses?

Probably more optimal ways to do it, but that worked fine.

Archived