Black Chicken Studios Forums

Mother of Monsters Book and Mysterious Tabs

Unawares

Hi there, I'm just starting my second playthrough and have run into a problem.

From the legendary item character option I received the Mother of Monsters book, but there doesn't seem to be any way to activate it. I further noticed in a forum post from a few years back that someone else reported this along with a couple of other Gates related issues. The other issues were responded to, but this one wasn't - missed perhaps?

I also have a question about the user interface for the game. The right information panel has a series of tabs along its left side. I've tried fiddling with them, but can't figure out what they are. By the end of my first playthrough they looked like orange tabs peeking out from behind the panel, and at that point clicking on them didn't seem to do anything. Could someone please explain?

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the quick replies! Yes, I have the most recent patch installed, thanks for checking on that.

And yes Metis that's the book I meant. :)

Saving a day's actions - ok thanks, that makes sense now. Were keyboard implementations added too, or just the tabs?

• 5 months later...

I also have the book, Aminþia Que’la: The Mother of Monsters. I've identified it, 'worn' it, 'and' installed the patch. However there is no action that I can find available for actually using it. Am I missing something obvious? I got the book as a starting item with a game that was unpatched. I patched later. It this item permanently broken unless I start a new game?

For DLC you do have to start a new game. For patches you may or may not, I'm not sure.

BTW, you don't have to actively use the book. Just equip it and it'll do what it's supposed to do, which is inform you of all Gates subskills as well as two Phemes, and increase Gates Theory by 2 while you have it equipped.

You can only equip items in their proper slots, so you can't equip anything in the wrong place. Unless it's typed wrong, but that's a different bug.

And if your skills don't update just save/load or advance a day - I'm not sure if it's solely a visual bug, but the game isn't always on the ball when it comes to showing changes made without forcing it to update.

yea, I've done that, advancing many days, saving/reloading, etc.. Gates never shows up. Ah well, I'm about to unlock the library where you can study it anyway. I guess I can always just sell the book. (Or can it, it being majorly illegal?)

Now if I only had a shop available, or an explore option so I could find a shop. I have neither, either.

That's...strange. You should have the Gates skill and all four Gates subskills revealed, along with +2 Theory of Gates after you equip the book and advance a day. That's...huh, I'll check the mod tools.

Ah, here we go, I see what the problem is. The book's ability, which is to say that which gives you the skill information, the 2 Phemes and the +2 Theory, actually has two prerequisites. The first is that you have Visitation Rights to Gustavon Mirapos’ Forbidden Gates Library, I have no idea where you can get that if you can get that, and the second requirement is that your skill with Gates Phemes exceeds 9. This indeed makes the part where the book informs you of Gates Phemes exactly as...academic as you think.

It seems to me like this is one of those items that'll be more useful for Y2 characters than for Y1 characters. BTW, you can, in Y1 at least, sell anything at any shop without problem. Doesn't matter if you offer a Wand of Draconian Dominion to a weaver, she'll pay full price and not care at all. You unlock more merchants by increasing various skills, or through specific events.

Archived