Black Chicken Studios Forums

Question to players

isadorbg

All right, i made this topic so the players could share their experience of the game, now that the game can be said to be finished. So feel free to ask question to fellow player about their preferences or just provide information that could helps all of us to increase our knowledge and thus enjoyment of the game. :)

So as the creator of this topic, i'll begin:

- I have a question for all the aranaz fans in this forum. Seriously why did you choose this college? I see that most of you are not excited by the focus of your college wich i believe will become more a problem for you as the years goes on. If it's for the characters (i don't find them that awesome but yeah each its taste i guess) you can still have them in your clique in another college. Maybe the special adventure?

- A question for all the forumite out there, what is your specific college and why? i want to know more about everyone taste.

- Do you have a favourite pillar? i know the illegal pillar are very popular and feel free to give one of the two but maybe also give one regular pillar to please the authority? :rolleyes: you can also give magic skills such as Enchant or Synchro ;) .

Ok for my part, my favourite college is obviously Vernin for the focus first in Enchant, i always liked the crafting in rpg and i am very pleased that the possibility not only exist in the game but is also a viable focus for our characters. :)

The characters are likeable and unique (Rui and catherine ftw :rolleyes: ) even tough i still believe Morvidius and Avila are the best ones in this aspect. And of course the adventures, Vernin is already the "elite" college and the special adventures only confirm that the Vernin PC is the badass of the PCs :rolleyes: .

- For the pillars:

- my favourite is Revision, i love this pillars for what it can do (transmutation powa), seems the be the perfect pillar to go along with Enchant (my all time favorite) and Artifice and is the pillar mastered by the regent, i am sure he has a lot to share ;) .

- I also like Negation, well it's not really about liking or not is just that for me it's a mandatory pillar for a real mage.

Edit: plus it seems to be the most difficult pillars, well i am not surprised :rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked playing Vernin aswell. It will probably get even better in later years when we get actual crafting.

The ability to create powerful artefacts, tools and toys seems useful, powerful and very valuable and profitable.

- I have a question for all the aranaz fans in this forum. Seriously why did you choose this college? I see that most of you are not excited by the focus of your college wich i believe will become more a problem for you as the years goes on. If it's for the characters (i don't find them that awesome but yeah each its taste i guess) you can still have them in your clique in another college. Maybe the special adventure?

- A question for all the forumite out there, what is your specific college and why? i want to know more about everyone taste.

- Do you have a favourite pillar? i know the illegal pillar are very popular and feel free to give one of the two but maybe also give one regular pillar to please the authority? :rolleyes: you can also give magic skills such as Enchant or Synchro ;) .

I'm not a fan of Aranaz myself, so no comment.

Mechanic wise Morvidus, since Revision and Zoology study levels hand out an attribute point, I generally want both classes anyway, which gives me four elective classes on top of two I want, and it puts me one step further away from being targeted by Joana or Philippe. Downside is that Morvidus does have a rival in Vernin, but that never really bothers me since I've never been bothered by a Vernin student. Story wise probably Hedi because college rivalries and politics are a waste of my time, I tend to play talky characters which fits Hedi, and the "secret Glamours" part would fit my character rather well, at least in theory, since you can bet my characters learn Sync and anyone that doesn't connect the dots that it's a Mastery spell will think it's a Glamour.

Tough call, actually. Sync, well, points for being what it is but it's limited in what it can do, and not just mechanically because it was only recently added and thus only has a grand total of one adventure roll to it's name. It's also limited by design, and limited in that it'll take a while for the PC to learn it well enough to actually Embrace outside of adventures. The spells you unlock through Sync other than the actual Embrace spell itself are technically Glamours, and most of them are firmly in the "would be significantly more useful if they didn't take a turn to cast" section of the spell list. Mechanics aside, though, they are nice spells. I can just imagine a character using Anecdote and other things to raise a ton of relationships and ease like a dozen students through exam time, with them never being stressed at all. Pity game mechanics don't work like that, eh?

hmm. now that you talks about sync and glammour, i am wondering if its possible to blend sync with some glammour and the effect it will do. I think it could be interesting and maybe less devastating than mastery blending or not ^_^

Plus i think the Kazuz house would inform the Academagia that they took you as one of their student? i don't think they would hide their student to the school or the governement as their position doesn't really allow for less than total transparancy.

I'm a diehard Aranaz supporter. I originally chose Aranaz because.... Most importantly I love focusing on the major forms of magic. and Aranaz was a college that gave me 4 choices for myself instead of 3.

1. Durand has Botany. learning plants? I hate outdoorsy stuff. (dialectic is... only nice because of Prof. Sido, I as a player could tell even if it wasn't spelled out.)

2. Morvidus has Zoology. again outdoorsy stuff, plus some of those beasts stink.

3. Godina is athletics oriented, (damn outdoorsy) and music is more of an elective than a serious course IMO. maybe in a magic school I can see its importance but I'm prejudiced against it.

4. Hedi has.. Grammar and Rhetoric. Although I deem them acceptable "scholarly" classes, I would be sooooo bored in those kinds of classes.

5. Avila has geometry with which I have a natural aversion, and I don't consider Astrology to be a very interesting pillar so even though it is a pillar it wasn't going to be my focus. Plus as a boy it would take guts to enroll in Avila willingly! (although I didn't know that at the time I first played!)

6. Vernin... Might be an acceptable 2nd choice for me as standard mathematics is a scholarly class that I can reasonably tolerate, and enchanting seems magical enough to focus on, buuut....

7. Aranaz has HISTORY, which is my favorite subject in the whole world, and calligraphy is actually a skill I wouldn't mind having, so the classes were an immediate draw to me.

The fact that my personality seems to fit right in with all the others in Aranaz is a large bonus (they're driven, and don't like taking no for an answer. :)) but I didn't really get into the lores and characters until later.

It's tough to say what my actual favorite pillar is. the list I have under my avatar is only correct assuming Gates and Mastery are illegal. If I could choose to learn any in real life I could see Gates magic as my favorite. But honestly, I love all the magic in the game and want my character to learn it ALL!

I'll be forced to limit myself in future years, but I will focus my efforts on learning magic on the main pillars themselves. No picking up any obscure fey magics or anything. and even the stuff involving more abstract magical concepts (that say the non-pillar classes teach phemes and spells for) will get little attention from me. (a little though)

Anyway, The main reason I like Aranaz nowadays is in addition to what I said, Orthography seems a worthwhile and fun "day-job" for my character as that magic allows one to create one-time spells for anyone to use when they need it. (even non mages!) and since I'm in the college that gives it, I will get that specialty for 'free.' and since my real focus is going to be in mixing magic across all pillars I could see my character making buttons of money off of that as Orthography seems relatively rare to begin with but Omni disciplinarians like me are even more rare, and so combining the two I might have no competition! sweet gig if it works.

I don't see putting any extra effort into Orthography (with the regent tutoring) being worthwhile though. my real focus is going to be an Omni disciplinarian.

- Actual I kind of dislike Azanaz as College and my favourite College are Morvidus and Vernin because of the more interesting Adventures.

- Favourite Pillar for year 1 is Religion!!! (Cleanse and Remake) followed by Revision (Revision of Skills) and Incatation (From Nothing Knowledge) but usually I train all legal magic pillars except maybe Astrology to max.

I taught my Vernin students Orthography on the side since it goes side by side with Enchantments and crafting.

I don't think the one time spell's on scrolls part was part of the Year 1 engine.

Maybe you could make some of those scrolls for your parrents and family to help them with their problems when you have to go to school again. As a going away gift and reminder that you are there to help! (It should give some parrental approval)

Perhaps something that helps them fight vermin and pests attacking the garden or farm trying to eatup their food/decorative plants.

One to create some rain if they get a draught.

One to help with the cleaning in case things get really messy for some reason.

One with a healing revision spell. (Reviving wellness, kind of like a first aid kit in case someone gets hurt)

Plus i think the Kazuz house would inform the Academagia that they took you as one of their student? i don't think they would hide their student to the school or the governement as their position doesn't really allow for less than total transparancy.

Story-wise the government is most definitely informed. I'm pretty sure the Legate would would be informed directly, or he'd at least have ample opportunity to find out. Other professors not so much, since they don't really need to know (and I doubt the Legate would trust von Rupprecht with that information anyway). The PC's parents are a different matter, though, informing them is something the PC can choose to do him/herself.

Of course mechanically it doesn't effect anything since there's no IF PC HAS Master's Mark ABILITY checks, at least none in Y1 that I know about. You can attribute that to it taking time to file paperwork or something.

It's interesting how the Legate tells you Ilaro is a good friend and not a bad wizard, something like that, and he's using Gates magic. Orso even asks Ilaro to teleport you back to your room at one point, was that really nessesary? (if using gates and teleports can be so dangerous?) When you are about to get crushed under a mountain it makes sense as a way of escape, or if you're falling off an island or something like that.

I'm guessing he thought the pirates around the palace were danagerous, but it still seems over the top.... Then later you are used as a bait for pirates or privateers or whatever... And allowed to be taken away on their ship.

The laws may be harsh, but I think it matters a lot how you are using your skills. The most probablems would likely be caused by non-wizards like the Captain of mineta and other "law people".

In actual gameplay I loved my Godnia character best. I always play battle mages, and I love getting to be an elemental warrior.

Alvia is my second favorite, cause of the sisterhood you can join and cause girl power. :3

In concept I should enjoy Hedi best. I always have glamour and music and the secret heritage background. And if I wanted could still take athletics and incantation if I wanted to battey. I've yet to finish a Hedi student though.

I always want to play a Vernin character, but I don't like enchanting. :s

In actual gameplay I loved my Godnia character best. I always play battle mages, and I love getting to be an elemental warrior.

Alvia is my second favorite, cause of the sisterhood you can join and cause girl power. :3

In concept I should enjoy Hedi best. I always have glamour and music and the secret heritage background. And if I wanted could still take athletics and incantation if I wanted to battey. I've yet to finish a Hedi student though.

I always want to play a Vernin character, but I don't like enchanting. :s

My first mage joined Godina.... Lets just say the Godina atletics events sent him to the infirmary "a lot"...... I guess I should have considered what type of mage I created at the start before picking a college ;) But it was my first game and I just wanted to get started. Also, I was fooling around a lot in mineta doing questionably useful things for my character at the start of the semester.

I imagine Godina's lack of popularity comes from the fact that they have Music as a mandated class. The college of athletic wizards playing Rimbal by flinging showy Incantations everywhere in a dramatic display of their hoped victory...spend the next hour practising playing their violin. How does that even begin to make sense?

Story-wise the government is most definitely informed. I'm pretty sure the Legate would would be informed directly, or he'd at least have ample opportunity to find out. Other professors not so much, since they don't really need to know (and I doubt the Legate would trust von Rupprecht with that information anyway). The PC's parents are a different matter, though, informing them is something the PC can choose to do him/herself.

Ok took my a bit to think about it but I don't think the legate can hide official information from his regents. At least not without putting his seat in peril

I imagine Godina's lack of popularity comes from the fact that they have Music as a mandated class. The college of athletic wizards playing Rimbal by flinging showy Incantations everywhere in a dramatic display of their hoped victory...spend the next hour practising playing their violin. How does that even begin to make sense?

To be honest its the only college i have never played with, so i can't comment on this one really :P:P

Ok took my a bit to think about it but I don't think the legate can hide official information from his regents. At least not without putting his seat in peril

Perhaps, I'm not sure. It's possible the entire faculty is informed, maybe it isn't, it all depends on why the Academagia would be informed to begin with.

To be honest its the only college i have never played with, so i can't comment on this one really

I haven't played a Godina character either, but that's my interpretation. I don't see how "elementalist battle mage" and "playing a famous music piece on a violin" fit together. Oh wait, never mind, Music class doesn't actually teach Violin, it teaches Voice. My bad.

Perhaps, I'm not sure. It's possible the entire faculty is informed, maybe it isn't, it all depends on why the Academagia would be informed to begin with.

Maybe not the entire faculty but if the legate is informed then its sure at least the regents are too.

As to why the academagia would be informed, well maybe because the PC is studiying some contreversial magic? might be a good idea to inform this magic institution that one of them began to study it?you know so they can keep on eye on the PC? and are not suprised that we are capable of sync magic wich might appear as Mastery on Negation detection.

Maybe not the entire faculty but if the legate is informed then its sure at least the regents are too.

As to why the academagia would be informed, well maybe because the PC is studiying some contreversial magic? might be a good idea to inform this magic institution that one of them began to study it?you know so they can keep on eye on the PC? and are not suprised that we are capable of sync magic wich might appear as Mastery on Negation detection.

I guess, but if the Regent are why not the teachers? Why not the guards? If the Legate is informed specifically so that he can keep an eye on the PC, why not inform everyone that can reasonably keep an eye on the PC as opposed to only informing select few individuals that have over a dozen students to manage already?

I imagine that's why the Legate is informed, but, well, see above. As for whether Sync would come up as Mastery - the spells you learn from learning Sync are Glamours, they will not be detected as Mastery. The Embrace spell, however, is most definitely a Mastery spell, and would be detected as such.

Well, in Godina it seems you can get some interesting events like that weird musical instrument, and such.

After a rough start I think my first wizard managed to become a decent or at leass acceptable student. But, really, the visits to the infirmary were many, especialy in the beginning.

Also, recall one situation where my student corrected someone calling it a child, "I'm a teen!" or was i Teenager.

Anyway, that suggest the PC is at least 13. While some of the other students might be 12 or older.

I guess, but if the Regent are why not the teachers? Why not the guards? If the Legate is informed specifically so that he can keep an eye on the PC, why not inform everyone that can reasonably keep an eye on the PC as opposed to only informing select few individuals that have over a dozen students to manage already?

Ok,here's how I see this. So either the governement or the kazus house send a letter or a person to inform the legate that the house took the PC as a student of Synchronicity, the legate then inform the Regents as he has to. The Regents are not your common teachers if the legate is the "CEO" of academagia then the Regents is the "director commitee". It is the responsibily of the Legate to inform them of important imformation regarding the schools.

Now the Regents/legate don't have to inform the mere "employee" if they don't judge it relevant. Now as to why they would do this well they are a few possible reason: one of them is maybe they don't want to ruin the school life of the PC. If teachers ans guards are informed then there is a good chance it will reach the ear of the student too and since Mastery still have a bad reputation and i don't think people will have the open mindness to consider Sync as not proper Mastery then the PC school life is pretty much ruined. It could also lead to unwanted curiosity wich is even worse!

Now the keep an eye part doesn't need everyone to know all the details. The regents just have to tell to other teachers and guards to keep a closer eye on the PC especially for "potential use of illegal magic" thats more then enough for the subordinate.

It might also be a positive thing maybe the regents can grant a special authorization for our student to read Mastery books (without telling everything to the librarian either) to possibly extend their knowledge of Sync and knowing that with the mark. The PC is not a danger for society.

Archived