Black Chicken Studios Forums

What are your thoughts in picking the class of a char?

Schwarzbart

As the topic says I wonder what thoughts you make to choose the "right" class for your char?

Here how I put the class of my last char together:

I want him to be in the college of Vernin and so he will become a Artificer

1) Enchant from be Vernin

2) Arithmetic from be Vernin

3) Astrology as way to know long enough ahead what kind of items he will need. Also not so good to train if not a class beside it gives a nice adventure.

4) Geometry probably helps with the Artificer profession especial if you do large projects like a Airship and it also helps with Astrology. Even more difficult to get trained as Astrology

5) Negation to counter any problems especial when a enchant project or Gate spell don't work out as it should. Also give Luck what was very important as I wanted to start with luck 1! It also helps in doing the Astrology Adventure early

6) Dialectic Beside giving Insight it helps later with the Sphinx and it contains the skill Logic what is one way to make new discoveries

Glamour was the alternative to Dialectic but Dialectic looked like the more useful skill for him beside I hoped with the background Academy: Blackheath I will have a good place to train Glamour in the summer break but that turned out wrong.

I mostly decided based on gameplay effects, like what adventures I'll get access to or whether there's another place I could learn the skill (and whether I care to gain access to it/abuse it). Now my Y2 character, who will focus on learning Sync and receive classes based on what compliments Sync instead, will probably join College Hedi with a class load of Dialectic, Glamour, Grammar, Negation, Rhetoric and...one more class I'm not sure of. Maybe History as it's a skillset that I want and there's a nice adventure associated with it, maybe Zoology since I do want to have a Familiar that does more than sit around and look pretty, maybe Astrology since it does compliment Sync slightly and it has a few bonkers adventures associated with it, maybe Music because it has bonkers adventures and...eh, it'd be a nice hobby, I guess? I'm not sure.

I will take Dialectic, since it's a class that fits the whole "try to understand others" idea, and Negation because I want it and I have no interest in either Brew or Natural Philosophy, though. I'll also take Glamour and Rhetoric, being in Hedi and it fitting my character concept, and lastly I'll begrudgingly try to pretend that Grammar is actually useful in some way or form beyond the few permanent +1 skill abilities it has.

Since I'm a Vernin fan I get those Enchant and Arithmetic skills for my character. But I also tend to pick what I tend to consider the major pillars of magic.

Incantation, Negation, Revision and Glamour.

Then I tend to pick up the other skills and abilities on the side. If you use abilities that reduse your training modifiers and focus on skills that gives you stat increases, then it will also help boost the speed at which you learn new skills and save you time for doing other things.

In the end I usually got Astrology as a side skill add on even if I never get the study bonus from it. Gates, Mastery tends to get in there aswell. Aswell as Social skills, economy, crafting/forge/artisan. Often Law, some Botany, and such aswell. And ofcourse some brewing.

In the cóurse of random discoveries the Dialectic skills tend to add up in there aswell.

One of my characters pretty much trained everything including special skills like riding, but he didn't get to do a lot of Adventuring unfortunately.

It's actualy possible to get close to having maxed every skill in Year 1... But the character will be a loner who spent all time in libraries or other weird places trying to gather knowledge.

As the topic says I wonder what thoughts you make to choose the "right" class for your char?

Here how I put the class of my last char together:

I want him to be in the college of Vernin and so he will become a Artificer

1) Enchant from be Vernin

2) Arithmetic from be Vernin

3) Astrology as way to know long enough ahead what kind of items he will need. Also not so good to train if not a class beside it gives a nice adventure.

4) Geometry probably helps with the Artificer profession especial if you do large projects like a Airship and it also helps with Astrology. Even more difficult to get trained as Astrology

5) Negation to counter any problems especial when a enchant project or Gate spell don't work out as it should. Also give Luck what was very important as I wanted to start with luck 1! It also helps in doing the Astrology Adventure early

6) Dialectic Beside giving Insight it helps later with the Sphinx and it contains the skill Logic what is one way to make new discoveries

Glamour was the alternative to Dialectic but Dialectic looked like the more useful skill for him beside I hoped with the background Academy: Blackheath I will have a good place to train Glamour in the summer break but that turned out wrong.

Welcome to the elite ! :)

For my char besides the mandatory Enchant/Arithmetic i usually pick:

1) Negation: Always. Just mandatory. In my view it's for a mage what multiplication is for a mathematician !

2) Revision: Always. Many reason to that: 1. It's THE pillar of the Regent, I obviously expect that he has to a lot to teach to his favourite student.

2. It seems to be the most useful pillar for an Artificer/Enchanter. Mandatory for a real Vernin. student.

3. It's rare (Only Astrology is rarer). And rare is precious.

4. It's awesome ?

3) Astrology:Often. It's an very originial pillar (and thus interesting), has awesome adventure, funny when you choose it for adventure (Don't know what to do ? use... Astrology !). Oh and rare !

For the rest it varies with the playtrough:

- Sometimes I pick History cause I want a smart student (and that sweet imperial reserve right),

- Sometimes Glammour when I am tired to unlock the skill tree.

- Sometimes Calligraphy because Orthography that seems to be interesting for an Enchanter.

- Sometimes Geometry because Arithmetic gotta be a complete Mathematician !

- Sometimes something else.

I'm an Aranaz diehard who wants to learn all core magical disciplines.

Over my playthroughs I finally settled on which pillars I had to learn through classes:

• Negation, because it's the most noble, the best defensive art, and encompasses a lot of knowledge.
  • Incantation, because it is right there in the core of magic, being about the most practiced (and I believe learning it at the academy has benefits over Contu's)
  • Revision, because anything that can be done, can be done better if you know how to tweak it.
  • And I had to choose hard for the 4th slot, and ultimately I went with Glamour because I have difficulty learning it on my own compared to Enchant and Astrology.

In Y2 I will probably try to learn Glamour on my own and use the class slot for another pillar, and may do the same with Incantation, just to ensure I'm well rounded. It really depends on the classes available and how I choose to squeeze 10 or so desirable classes into 4 slots.

- Sometimes I pick History cause I want a smart student (and that sweet imperial reserve right),

Shouldn't nobility or royal bloodlines or whatever it's called, (probably both) grant you access to the Imperial reserve and the Palace.

And I had to choose hard for the 4th slot, and ultimately I went with Glamour because I have difficulty learning it on my own compared to Enchant and Astrology.

If you explore and discover Glamour Classroom: Professor's Podium you can easily rush Glamour...if you're not above savestate cheese or have a way to lower your CoD by 10. By contrast Astrology has the Mantle of Stars, which is useful if you mod it to hand out +1 SS twice rather than the vanilla +2 SS once. And Enchant...does Enchant have a place where you can quickly train it? I don't think I even found one.

Thank you for creating this thread, Schwarzbarz. I've been curious about what class other forum members are picking and why.

I used to pick classes which have many SS and rare SS, in other words, usually-not-be-used SS. :P I want my char to be a master of the field has so many branching that hard to be mastered. In that sense, I don't prefer to pick the most of magic classes for they have only 4 SS and their SS is the easiest to be known even without taking the class.

My char, therefore, always takes Astrology, History, Calligraphy and Music.

Since she is a Godina student, she should attend Incantation and Athletics class.

So she has chances to get along mostly with the students of Aranaz, Godina and Avila, maybe that's why I have friendly feeling for those colleges.

And I have a question: Which class adventure do you like most? :rolleyes:

In that sense, I don't prefer to pick the most of magic classes for they have only 4 SS and their SS is the easiest to be known even without taking the class.

My char, therefore, always takes Astrology, History, Calligraphy and Music.

Since she is a Godina student, she should attend Incantation and Athletics class.

And I have a question: Which class adventure do you like most? :rolleyes:

The problem is that even if a skill has more than 4 subskills classes don't necessarily teach those subskills. Music class, to name one example, doesn't teach Harpsichord, Lute, Lyre or Violin at all.

As for favorite class adventure...probably either Scenes from Dialectic Class or A Day in Incantation. Grand adventures are all well and nice, but less hilarious than seeing what topic Professor Sido pulled out of a magic hat or what crazy plan Professor Knoht has devised and dressed up like a test.

Actually, I usually train enchant while at one of the libraries, killing two birds with one stone so to speak. It isn't the most efficient, but it gets the job done.

My favorite adventure? mmm....

Tough to say. Maybe I'll wait and see what the repercussions of the adventures are before I'll say...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working through the colleges, but in terms of classes, I don't bother with classes that have good training tools or crop up routinely in adventures as I'll pick those up anyway, so I don't choose negation, revision, or incantation, despite aiming for early 10s in the parent skills.

Otherwise I tend to pick the spell casting skills (except astrology) as I see my guys as heavily into the practical magical side, astrology has too many sub-skills for me to choose as it soaks actions training it.

I have trouble not making the same type of character, since I really enjoy certain quests/classes/magic stuff.

I was/am a huge fan of Godina, since I'd love to be a battle-mage. But I don't feel Godina really meshes as well with Lilette's background choices.

Lilette will always have Zoology, Music, Glamour, and Astrology.

Background choices I always take: Blood Moon (cause the +archery) Sky Pirates, Secret Heritage and Prodigy of Secrets and Silence.

Astrology cause there is a gates ring(?) that adds to it, and it makes sense to me that a child of a sky pirate would know the stars. Plus I love, love, love the 2 quests it has associated with it.

Glamour cause it has a lot of uses in quests, and I think it sounds pretty and cool. And it has 2 quests, one of which is super easy.

Music because it has 2 quests I like a lot (a magical violin that adds 1 charm and a necklace that adds 1 finesse) And cause I'd love for Lilette to be a song-glamour-er.

Zoology is a no brainer for me, since I like to train up my familiar. I don't generally do the quests it gives though. :/

Ideally Lilette should probably be in Hedi, since she has a big focus on Glamour and Secrets and stuff. But I'm on a big Avila kick right now. I love befriending Issabuea though, and have always made her Lil's best friend. (The money doesn't hurt either ;D)

So yeah.. Not sure if I want my newest incarnation of Lilette to be Avila, Godina, or Hedi. They all have some great things going for them.

As for her familiar, I almost always choose the faux dragon (cause yay dragons!) but I also feel like I should go with Pamela, cause of her gates knowlage and such. Not that anyone was asking about familiars, I thought I'd mention it though~

Because I want to have my new char to be in a Mercenary background I chose Godina this time

Athletics = College

Music = College

Incantation = College

Dialectic was chosen because the Study Mastery give Insight and I decided to start with Insight 1. Also the adventure give Theology at the first step without having to do any roll.

Grammar The char should become a Mercenary Leader and Grammar turned out to be hard to get and train in opposite to Rhetoric. Also Grammar have the more interesting Study rewards.

Revision Because it gives Finesse needed by Incantation and also because Revision is the magic for field repairs and healing

Because Revision is easy to train and Grammar a bit difficult I had to reroll a few time to get Grammar in the first time slot and Revision in the second

I have trouble not making the same type of character, since I really enjoy certain quests/classes/magic stuff.

I was/am a huge fan of Godina, since I'd love to be a battle-mage. But I don't feel Godina really meshes as well with Lilette's background choices.

Lilette will always have Zoology, Music, Glamour, and Astrology.

Background choices I always take: Blood Moon (cause the +archery) Sky Pirates, Secret Heritage and Prodigy of Secrets and Silence.

Astrology cause there is a gates ring(?) that adds to it, and it makes sense to me that a child of a sky pirate would know the stars. Plus I love, love, love the 2 quests it has associated with it.

Glamour cause it has a lot of uses in quests, and I think it sounds pretty and cool. And it has 2 quests, one of which is super easy.

Music because it has 2 quests I like a lot (a magical violin that adds 1 charm and a necklace that adds 1 finesse) And cause I'd love for Lilette to be a song-glamour-er.

Zoology is a no brainer for me, since I like to train up my familiar. I don't generally do the quests it gives though. :/

Ideally Lilette should probably be in Hedi, since she has a big focus on Glamour and Secrets and stuff. But I'm on a big Avila kick right now. I love befriending Issabuea though, and have always made her Lil's best friend. (The money doesn't hurt either ;D)

So yeah.. Not sure if I want my newest incarnation of Lilette to be Avila, Godina, or Hedi. They all have some great things going for them.

As for her familiar, I almost always choose the faux dragon (cause yay dragons!) but I also feel like I should go with Pamela, cause of her gates knowlage and such. Not that anyone was asking about familiars, I thought I'd mention it though~

I'm thinking whatever small amount of gates knowledge Pamela might have had in life might have gotten her killed. She doesn't seem to be fond of the art of Gates. Or maybe it's just me interpreting her reactions.

Archived