Black Chicken Studios Forums

Whatcha readin'?

DrYuriMom

A few minutes ago I was perusing my dad's 600 sq ft Library of Doom for a book or two to read on my flight back to Chi-town in a few hours. It occurred to me to wonder if anyone else out there is reading literature relevant to Victory Belles. I'll list what I just picked out to read on the plane.

• Jutland: an analysis of the fighting by John Campbell. I read this as a teen when it first came out and thought it worth a re-read since it looks like VB is being designed to avoid the aerial OP that for the most part shunted surface ships to the sidelines in WWII.
  • From the Dardanelles to Oman by Arthur Marder. Haven't read this before, but was curious given the early focus on the Dardanelles Campaign (Turkey!) and how it purports to cover the RN from 1915-1940, which dovetails right into VB. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Anyone else want to shout out their reading list?

Sadly, the yuri romance was cut from '31 due to time constraints.

:(

"But, but, Yuri!" ;-;

(I sure hope VB doesn't have such issues)

I think the thing I'm reading the most now and then is my grandfather's WWII diary from when he was in the Duke of Welligton's Regiment in North Africa, part of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Well, not really military related(or is it?) but I finished Romance of Three Kingdoms a while ago and is thinking of reading Water Margin.

As for VNs, I'm playing Panzermadels right now. I know it's just a silly VN but I find it hilarious and entertaining.

Aside from that I should also finish playing/reading Mayjasmine. The translation is pretty bad but the story is based on the May 1998 riots of Indonesia(or to be exact, Jakarta). I was in Jakarta when it happens(I still am) and I want to see how the VN handles such a story.

DYM;

Haha, no, no it does not. :)

W99;

That sounds *amazing*! Dare I ask if it is published anywhere?

XKrieg;

Panzermadels! What a great game. :)

Never heard of Mayjasmine, but leaving aside the subject the name is striking and lovely.

Not really. It's his five year diary given to him in 1942. Has two photos of my grandmother in it. Details some special events, such as being in a military parade in Tunis and seeing Alexander, Monty, and Churchill, and facing Goering's paratroopers

W99;

That is a real treasure!

I also have an old candy tin that has a wallet he handmade (Tunis 1944), his leather dogtags, and a handmade paper Christmas card

W99 That would still be an amazing read.

Probably the entries that hit the most are these (he rarely dated entries save some):

GHEBEL ABIOQ: Took over from Commandoes
KHARMIGOUT: Mountain training and patrols
BEDJENANNE: 7 killed 24 wounded. In slit trenches for 8 days
AIN DRAHAN: 48 hours – trench feet
EL AROUSSA: Surrounded for 18 hours. “HERMANN GOERINGS PARATROOPS”
GOUBELLIAT: APR 23. 65 killed 87 wounded. Lost my 2 pals here. Bombed all night by Jerry.
SMIDIA: Reserve to “H 100 DIVISION”. Last push for TUNIS by 1st and 8th ARMIES.
MEDJEZ EL BAB: Guard duty all day on P.O.W. camps.
AFRICAN CAMPAIGN FINISHED MAY 9TH 1943
EDIT: I did the research and redug it up as to where he served - British First Army, V Corps, 1st Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Brigade, Duke of Wellington's Regiment 1st Battalion

I find these kinds of things interesting. We look back at 'The Greatest Generation' and are told just how great they were. No one like to be told they suffered trench foot, or that the constant bombing irreparably broke some of them or that they had to guard P.O.W.s. We keep getting told they were great because they fought the war. But its these little details the says perhaps they were great despite the war, not because of it.

Well I have a pretty good book about the about the Imperial Japanese navy during WW 2. It's called "The Imperial Japanese Navy in the Pacific War" by Mark E. Stille.

I've enjoyed it a lot. I've learned a lot about the IJN doctrines during the war (and their faults) and much about the individual ships and classes of the IJN as well, including the meanings of some of their names. One thing I've noticed is that the IJN had few bespoke aircraft carriers, most of them being conversions and arguably not the greatest conversions either. IJN ships seemed to suffer a great deal from poor damage control and bad designs that made them more susceptible to further damage. In the case of the carriers this was things like placement of fuel storage bunkers and poor ventilation which caused gas fumes to build up, leading to secondary explosions. Something along those lines anyway.

Another curious thing was their submarine doctrine of focusing on enemy warships as part of fleet battles rather than commerce raiding like what the U-Boats were doing to great effect in the Atlantic and the Med.

Archived