Black Chicken Studios Forums

General Victory Belles Questions Thread

Dano

I wasn't debating when it became clear, I'm just saying that in the end it was undeniable. The focus on BB's by nations that could ill afford them did not do those nations any favors when reality struck quickly.

I guess the point of contention is that at the times the ships were built they were not bad investments, in fact they were the best investments at the times when they were built. And by that point where they were no longer the best the resources were already invested into the Battleships. Most navies attempted to put more resources into carriers but by that point it was a day late and a dollar short. Like what happened to poor Shinano...

In a sense it is making a bad investment. You see what did successfully and you invest your resources thinking it will continue being successful, however it ends up being a dud and you lose your investment. There is nothing you can really do but see what you lost and try save whats left but that initial investment is still lost.

This...

In a sense it is making a bad investment. You see what did successfully and you invest your resources thinking it will continue being successful, however it ends up being a dud and you lose your investment. There is nothing you can really do but see what you lost and try save whats left but that initial investment is still lost.

...is exactly what I was trying to convey with this...

They were pinnacle ships built for the LAST war. As is so often the case, nations spend inordinate amounts of resources preparing for the last war, only to be somewhat/mostly/totally blindsided by the new, often relatively cheap, weapons that win the next one. The US committed the same error as Japan by building BB's in the 30's, but the US could afford to essentially waste materials on the North Carolinas and SoDaks. The Japanese didn't have that luxury. Imagine all the Taihos that could have been built for the steel dumped into Yamato, Musashi, and Shinano.

In the end the only nation that had the resources to recover from the bad investment was the US who was able to spam out the Essex litter, the Midway big boys, the Independence teenyboppers, and a bunch of baby CVEs.

The idea that you can reliably use the past to predict the future is dangerous. Yeah, the past is a useful set of data. Those who do not remember it must repeat it and all that. But you cannot draw a line from the past and expect it to continue forever. Disruptive technologies have a habit of emerging. Even here in Victory Belles, BCS had to dream up the "Morgana Mist" to ensure that we big gun romantics could get our fix of replaying Jutland. :)

This...

...is exactly what I was trying to convey with this...

In the end the only nation that had the resources to recover from the bad investment was the US.

The idea that you can reliably use the past to predict the future is dangerous. Yeah, the past is a useful set of data. Those who do not remember it must repeat it and all that. But you cannot draw a line from the past and expect it to continue forever. Disruptive technologies have a habit of emerging. Even here in Victory Belles, BCS had to dream up the "Morgana Mist" to ensure that we big gun romantics could get our fix of replaying Jutland. :)

Only this time, I'll be using my battlecruisers as battlecruisers, and not as battleships

Yeah, that's the big thing: big guns doesn't make up for lack of armor. I'm curious about Salt Lake City for that because the Pensicola class was only really a "heavy cruiser" for the guns.

Fast battleships in my mind are a natural evolution from battlecruisers and conventional battleships. I'd have to do some research, but I imagine it just wasn't feasible to make fast battleships at the time battlecruisers first started to be deployed.

DYM;

"Even here in Victory Belles, BCS had to dream up the "Morgana Mist" to ensure that we big gun romantics could get our fix of replaying Jutland. :)"

...that and control the number of Morgana carriers they throw against you. :)

If you want your air war, you'll get it. If you want to refight Jutland, you can do that too.

Is it possible for there to be like a training mode for the belles?

Instead of getting rewards, it allows players to see how their ships would fare against certain enemy formations.

Injuries can happen but aren't lethal, and it allows Admirals to think carefully when preparing a fleet for a mission.

DYM;

"Even here in Victory Belles, BCS had to dream up the "Morgana Mist" to ensure that we big gun romantics could get our fix of replaying Jutland. :)"

...that and control the number of Morgana carriers they throw against you. :)

If you want your air war, you'll get it. If you want to refight Jutland, you can do that too.

So there ARE times when carriers won't be nerfed by the mist!

Also, when the game comes out I'll try and see how much I can do using a fleet made of only carriers.

Given we have folks already planning to make fleets w/o carriers (Oh hi there, Nel!) you may as well.

As I say, whatever floats your boat! (TM) B)

Is it possible for there to be like a training mode for the belles?

Instead of getting rewards, it allows players to see how their ships would fare against certain enemy formations.

Injuries can happen but aren't lethal, and it allows Admirals to think carefully when preparing a fleet for a mission.

I hope so, that sounds like a great way for those of us that aren't amazing at strategy could get a hang on it with out worrying about losing our belles.

I'm wondering (and I'm aware i might be asking to much of you) but will we atleast have teasers for later belles down the line or will we only see belles available to us out of the gate. Like will we maybe see a design for the USS Missouri or Bismarck this year or alot further down the road. Sorry I'm just both curious and impatient.

Elwan;

Yep! And who is to say that you can't solve how to make carriers effective in the mists...? :)

...I was not expecting that. My silly challenge fleet might actually be possible. Anyways that will be a secondary fleet, my main fleet will be more diverse.

Given we have folks already planning to make fleets w/o carriers (Oh hi there, Nel!) you may as well.

As I say, whatever floats your boat! (TM) B)

You rang? -adjusts hat-

But seriously ill be making a fleet for funs that's nothing but the most expensive Battleships and trying that out