Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 16 (With Admiral Graf Spee)

Nel Celestine

I've tried DMing. I have great stories, and I'm pretty good with the dice outcomes and all that, but I keep messing up the order in which I give players information, and I either give them too much or too little by doing so, and I end up backing myself into a corner and screwing up.

D20 Modern would be the best system imo. I would play but I'm a terrible DM. We could use Roll20.com if you want.

I've tried DMing. I have great stories, and I'm pretty good with the dice outcomes and all that, but I keep messing up the order in which I give players information, and I either give them too much or too little by doing so, and I end up backing myself into a corner and screwing up.

Damn, I would totally join you guys for that. No promises though, I've done DMing exactly once and it was a quick one-shot, which after two weeks I still wasn't prepared for, and the players did all they could to screw me up. At one point they broke through one hundred floors of tower and were surprised when I commented that the one who jumped second ended up as a rather amusing pile of jelly.

Cute!

Oh my god I hate that film so much. If only because they used a ship that looks nothing like Admiral Graf Spee, and the only change they made to it was putting a Nazi flag on it instead of the American one.

Well, what shoudl I say, then?

When in the 1950s they made films about the Italian frogmen who sneaked into Alexandria to sink two battleships, the battleship part was played by an Italian light cruiser! :P

Historynerd;

Well, that's...just a little difference in profile and tonnage. :)

Just a little.

But it is known that in naval matters we Italians love to get creative, especially when it comes to tonnage... (*cough* Zara-class *cough* Littorio-class *cough*) :rolleyes:

Can't really blame old movies for using different ship classes or different ships. They have budget limitations and sometimes they have to work with whatever they have(at least in comparison with today's standard). Plus at that age, the internet doesn't exist so most people doesn't have access to information like us which means that most people won't know the difference anyway.

Can't really blame old movies for using different ship classes or different ships. They have budget limitations and sometimes they have to work with whatever they have(at least in comparison with today's standard). Plus at that age, the internet doesn't exist so most people doesn't have access to information like us which means that most people won't know the difference anyway.

Well, not everybody can build a full-sized wooden replica of the Yamato! ^_^

XKrieg;

That's a good point. These days, with CGI, we're really spoiled, too. ;)

You'd think..... But they're making a new movie about the USS Indianapolis, and they're using CG for some parts, but they're CGing in the wrong goddamn ship.

You'd think..... But they're making a new movie about the USS Indianapolis, and they're using CG for some parts, but they're CGing in the wrong goddamn ship.

It's the Alabama, IIRC. I think they're doing that more for continuity within the movie than historical accuracy. That said, given that they got their time frame of men in the water and distress signal facts from Jaws, I/m pretty sure they weren't gonna focus on historical accuracy anyway.

Oh I have no defense for newer movies, only for the older ones haha :P

To be fair, I don't think the US has a preserved heavy cruiser...so this is the closest they could use.

It's the Alabama, IIRC. I think they're doing that more for continuity within the movie than historical accuracy. That said, given that they got their time frame of men in the water and distress signal facts from Jaws, I/m pretty sure they weren't gonna focus on historical accuracy anyway.

So...it's historical fiction :).

Alright, adding onto my previous post of me loving how I'm no longer being teased, and glad you shared her finally. Wanting to add that I'm now studying her design with me now seeing clever designs on her. The weaponry design in itself is fresh (especially KanCollefied), It's like the grenade launchers I'm used to in Battlefield 2 & maybe ArmA II. That nice "poot" type noise. That mortar type sound. The planes on either end also being neat. Her skirt is a bit odd, if in a plane-like fashion, yet they're neat also. The planes also appear to be in an interesting hanging position at the back which makes for a neat design choice. I' m actually loving how the two seaplanes are hanging off at the back there.

I see the torpedo stuff on her legging, yet haven't dived deep to tell if anything is overly accurate or not. I however do know that torpedoes, sea-planes, & turrets are indeed standard. As for the design & such I can't, even though she's one of the vessels I originally admired long ago.

Ya, I'll happily welcome her to my fleet hoping that her personality doesn't set me off. Would love to see her within my ranks, also on the battlefield stirring up elegant styled chaos. Can't wait to hear her VA now, also along with Voykov & HMCS Saguenay. Skeena, I hope you're shared soon also, more so with the Canadian maple on both you & Saguenay :P

I'm still sigh-laughing at my own sleepy misreadings. I accidentally mistook her for Graf Zeppelin with me wanting to rage because she was supposed to be more grand, more iconic. Graf Zeppelin inspired from Akagi that if this design was for Zeppelin I wouldn't have taken that nicely. It works with Spee because she's more of the heavy cruiser type lovelies. A pocket, or whatever the cross-comparisons between nations is. Sometimes gets confusing :P.

I think that Admiral Graf Spee is going to be interesting... She goes down a mere couple months into the war. It's going to be difficult for her to get her death day bonus. I think that a lot of captains, especially those who don't start in Kriegsmarine, will not be able to get her before her death date. Those who do get her before her death date will probably get her only a short time before it, so she won't be a very high level. She'll be a tough one, but hopefully well worth it.

That really depends on the risk to reward for me, actually. While I would absolutely love the recognition of being so good with Spee as to gain her death date bonus, she will be my most valued ship, so I don't want to risk losing her. So it really depends on whether or not it's possible to lose her in a single engagement on that day, rather than the usual 2 minimum that it would take to sink a ship on any other day.

• 1 year later...

Archived