Shirogane Posted November 1, 2016 Report Share Posted November 1, 2016 ORP Mazur - heroic school ship, which fought to the end. The first Polish Navy ship sunken in combat and the first Allied warship sunk during World War II. Before the outbreak of World War I Koninklijke Marine (Dutch Royal Navy) ordered in the Szczecin shipyard Stettiner Maschinenbau AG Vulcan four torpedo boats. They were to receive the designation of "Z 1" to "Z 4". Formally classified as seagoing vessels - in fact, due to the small displacement, were units intended for operations in coastal waters. Keel was laid for the future "Z 1" (number of shipbuilding 353) took place in 1913. After the start of World War unfinished ship, located still on the slipway, 10 August 1914 was commandeered by the German Navy. Launching took place on August 26. Torpedo boat was then called "V-105". For service in the Kaiserliche Marine was incorporated March 23, 1915 year. He was used as an artillery school ship. After the end of World War I, the ship was on the Baltic Sea. On the basis of an agreement concluded November 18, 1918 by and between the victorious countries and Germany, she moved to the UK. After the end of World War I, the victorious powers divided among themselves the German fleet. With the reluctant position of the United Kingdom, Decision of the Council of Ambassadors of December 9, 1919 year to Poland was awarded six torpedo boats. In November 1920, the Department for Maritime Affairs (Departamencie dla Spraw Morskich -DSM) started to prepare to take over the ships. Rosyth went to Admiral Waclaw Kloczkowski and November 6, together with the Brazilian attaché conducted a review found there torpedo, which then by lottery fund were both Navy. Torpedo boat "V 105" in December 1919, he was awarded Brazil. The new buyer of the ship sold it to an English private company, J.A. White Shipbreaker. The company, which purchased from Brazil also twin "V 106", April 28, 1921 he sent to the DSM exchange offer of one of these ships bestowed on Poland "A 69" (as the most destroyed, he served as a warehouse of spare parts for other torpedo boats), for an additional charge £ 1000. Admiral Kloczkowski 30 June acquainted with the offer and began negotiations with the bidder. As a result, English company reduced the price to £ 900!, and also the Polish side may choose to ship in better condition and fill in the missing part of the second. On the basis of the contract of purchase-exchange signed August 5, 1921, by and among the Company, J.A. White Shipbreaker and DSM, represented by Commander Francis Dyrne, "V 105" was exchanged for granted Poland "A 69". The unit received no official command name "Mazur" (named for the Mazurian people), which was formerly known as swapped "A 69". Also, the ship's commander, Lieutenant Commander Witold Zajaczkowski appointed to this post February 10, 1921 year moved from the disposed on the acquired unit. September 8, 1921, a group of torpedo boats composed of "Mazur", "Ślązak" and "Góral" went on a trip to the Poland, towed by the tug "Bullger". During the cruise officers communicated in Russian, and non-commissioned officers in the German language. This was due to the lack of Polish naval terminology. (For 123 years did not used to exist Polish Navy) At night, however, was used for the communication code signal in the Polish language. After seven days of towing "Mazur", together with the other units arrived to Gdansk September 15, 1921. Torpedo boat began service under the Polish flag 1 August 1922 year, and the next day was the ceremonial raising of the flag. August 1 was incorporated into Dywizjonu Torpedowców (Division torpedo). Armament torpedo boat after entering the service consisted of two parcels cal. 47 mm and two machine guns cal. 7.92 mm. In 1925 she rearmed with two cannons on the basis of marine cal. 75 mm; They installed a dual torpedo launcher cal. 450 mm and the track minefield. The main task of "Mazur" was the training of new personnel for the Polish Navy. For this purpose, he held cruises to the Baltic ports. In 1922, he visited with other torpedos Copenhagen. In July 1925, together with "Podhalanin" held training cruise to Kalmar. In 1927, the torpedo boat transported from Gdynia to Gdansk coffin with ashes of Juliusz Słowacki - a Polish Romantic poet. "Mazur" served as the ship welcoming during a visit July 31, 1929 year to the roads in Gdynia, a team of Italian cruisers school "Francesco Ferrucio" and "Pisa". At the beginning of July 1930, he was with the "Wicher" role of an escort ship for ship "SS Polonia", on board of which flowed from an official visit to Estonia President of the Poland Ignacy Moscicki. In the same year, during the training, practice torpedo launched from the "Ślązak" hit in the side, "Mazur", thrusting the half and causing great damage. In the years 1935-1937 she underwent another reconstruction, during which he removed the rear chimney and rear mast and made retooling. After the reconstruction, 1 June 1937, he was again drafted into service in PMW under the command of Navy Captain Marian Wojcieszek. He served as the ship's Center for Training Specialists Fleet. ORP "Mazur" in defense of the Polish coast in 01.09.1939 Before the war, "Mazur" perform tasks related to transport war material from Gdynia to Hel. The outbreak of war found him in the harbor war in Oksywie, where it was moored at the west pier in a pool No. 2 commander of the ship was Captain mar. Tadeusz Rutkowski. That day she had to evacuate to Hel employee of the Department of Information of the Independent Fleet Command, Anna Starkównę. At. 14.00 Port attacked the 32 German planes dive-Junkers Ju 87B 'Stuka' squadron IV. (St) / LG 1. Ready to leave port, "Mazur", with half the crew of machine positions led anti-fire with 40 mm cannon and machine guns cal. 13.2 mm and 7.92 mm. At the end of the raid on the ship came a bomber, which dropped three bombs. The first of them were in a part of the beak lifting it away from the rest of the ship. The second exploded at the height of the pier running guns No. 1 and No. 2, and the explosion threw the ship from the waterfront at approx. 70 meters. Through broken skin began to fill with water, and the ship slowly began to sink. Despite numerous destruction and the loss of about 40 people, the other crew members conducted antiaircraft fire. The longest - until the waves washed away their deck, fought Lieutenant sailor. Jacenty Dehnel and artillery sailor Waclaw Armada attendant stern caliber anti-aircraft gun. 40 mm. From the wreckage they were dismantled and placed on the ground 75 mm cannon. Other equipment installed in improvised armored train "Smok Kaszubski", which used the Land Coastal Defence. After the war, the wreck was excavated by the Germans and cut into scrap. The heroic attitude of the staff and continuous fire antiaircraft limit losses on the first day at the port despite the superior forces of the enemy in the air. ORP "Mazur" became the first Polish Navy ship sunken in combat and the first Allied warship sunk during World War II. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.