Black Chicken Studios Forums

Pokemon GO

ArcticuKitsu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to reply to Metis, yet held of because of other curiousity. To me, it simply means something similar to a 'bad hit' that Metis seems to be on the paranoid side of things because of bad experiences, or similar. Pokemon GO is still an actually legit fun game, or else I wouldn't have brought it up. If I can have fun with it, then it's genuinely legit. It's on the same level as KanColle, Flower Knight Girl, and anything else that's entertained me highly. It may be gimmicky, yet it still also has a way to mature & grow also.

We'll see if they add in Pokeball related berries to grow in the map, moo-moo milk, and such. That would add to some variety that it be sweet, even in the micro-transaction. They still need to make money, as with KanColle & Victory Belles. Even 'Flower Knight Girl'......Yet pleased they're learning from KanColle though. You & Dano can deny Pokemon GO as a legit game as much as you want, yet you can't deny it being an actually fun & legit game, more so because people are finally getting that much needed exercise through curiousity. To keep this up we'll now need gen 2, Gen 3, and more. That, and more in game features. That is if Niantec & Nintendo want to keep appealing to the gamers. If not, then I can see this game dying, and your near-paranoia level concerns. This is also why I suggested Victory Belles to look into an offline version of the game. That was no joke, nor demand, yet future proofing it. KanColle has 'KanColle Kai', yet it still needs to gain an appropriate free-roam on the level of KanColle Arcade for PS4 & PC.

-----

Ninja, this is the closest I could get to an off-topic so you need to chill. Saw you getting far too strict :D You complained about one being derailed so I made a belated Pokemon GO after being highly impressed with Pokemon GO (having R/B/Y/G/S/C/W/W2/Y experience + Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2. That, and with Pixelmon. I love my Pokemon & I see nothing wrong with Pokemon Go. This second bit isn't really aimed at you, yet is more 'neutral' that me finding people hating on Pokemon GO just seem to be 'hip' for the sake of disliking it. How I see Metis & one of my KanColle comrades throwing a fit on my Twitter, yet that be mentioned as 'bleeding' into this so I"ll move on.

------

But yeah, I'm highly enjoying Pokemon GO that I'm still looking into data plans. I think this is the way it should go with free-roaming, yet still needing to follow 'Lego Worlds' & Pixelmon into an actual open-world game. Pokemon GO is still 100% legit in its own way. :wub:

Getting real sick of people being called salty just because they don't like what you like.

One of the things I love about the core Pokemon games is for the most part they stick to the same basic formula. Sure, mega evolution is dumb and the obsession with legendary pokemon is annoying, but at the end of the day the games still have the basic formula of catching them all and becoming the champion, and I find that comforting.

You & Dano can deny Pokemon GO as a legit game as much as you want, yet you can't deny it being an actually fun & legit game, more so because people are finally getting that much needed exercise through curiousity.

My issue with GO is actually that. Back in my day kids didn't need mobile phones showing a pidgey nesting in a tree to go outside to play Pokémon trainer and have fun doing that. We didn't need that excuse to go outside, it was just one of many things kids did. But even that bit of parental laziness aside, the vibe I'm getting from GO is that it's seen as "real". That those mons you see on your phone are somehow more than just data printed on a screen than a Pokémon on a GBA is data printed on a screen. They're not, and I'm getting the impression that people are forgetting this. What bothers me is the idea that apparently Nintendo or whoever else will eventually be in a position to code what's real, program what exists outside one's door, and that's when trends like micros and accepted ads to cover for server costs are going to start becoming a problem. It sounds preposterous, I know it sounds preposterous, and I definite will not deny your point about me being at least some level of paranoid...but I've seen a lot of things that I (would have) called preposterous at one point. And that trend hasn't been slowing down at all. To me it seems like it's just a question of when the day comes that what I regard as sanity is lost - VR, or what pale attempt at an imitation of the idea people are nevertheless calling VR these days, is likewise fast on track to brining about a revolution in technological madness.

Getting real sick of people being called salty just because they don't like what you like.

One of the things I love about the core Pokemon games is for the most part they stick to the same basic formula. Sure, mega evolution is dumb and the obsession with legendary pokemon is annoying, but at the end of the day the games still have the basic formula of catching them all and becoming the champion, and I find that comforting.

If you're getting sick and tired over something silly then I guess you're missing out on why simple gameplay tends to trump complicated ones. Why Pokemon GO is genuinely appealing and not as bad as you make it, even with the flaws. Why I found out having fun with some gem matching puzzle fighter game on the PS3 was more fun then some realistic racing game, or similar. Pokemon GO, and everything Nintendo covers is always simple. Yes, even Xenoblade. It's one of those short burst games that focuses on the small fun, not being overly realistic, being real-world 100% texture realistic, & such. It's still comical, if in that mobile manner of "chasing shadows", similar in Gameboy games.

This isn't about 'what I like & dislike' BS, yet more about Pokemon GO being actually genuinely fun. That's not my opinion either, yet it is influenced by it in some ways. There's no denying it as to why it's so popular, and why servers keep crashing. You & Metis may hate it, and that's fine, yet that doesn't make Pokemon GO a bad game, just something that doesn't really fit your style. Not sure where you're playing Pokemon, yet the gameboy games are still nice, yet they need to also move into actual free-roaming range. Pokemon GO should hopefully spawn that with how people are frustrated with needing data on the poor income side, yet there is that genuine novelty satisfaction of finding Pokemon in specific areas. Visiting areas you never visited, among others.

One thing I will agree is that Niantec needs to keep popups and ads away from Pokemon GO or else people will bolt elsewhere. If anybody played Ingress might say otherwise, and I hope they do for variety in opinion. But if you really do feel 'sick & tired' over my salty comment then I guess the irony is there that we all need a fun walk. Not about taste, yet about having simple genuine fun that you would even take another route to get home, something where I've seen others being happy about. The bit where they mentioned about powering up their pokemon & to defend gyms. It's a positive experience that I won't pull my pants down just to take a smelly dump on because there's nothing negative about it. Nobody is being swatted, doing stupid things, raped, or anything that I find it genuinely fun.

But ya, I do share some of Metis's concerns, yet the rest not so much. One thing I will find negative is needing a stupid data plan so you can go searching, yet parents provide this for their kids anyways so it's not really that much of a concern. That, and I can pretty much afford it also, yet still tryign to justify buying data.

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. Pokemon GO is still a legit game.

Legit game, maybe, but it stinks to high heaven like a cash grab. Reminds me of those Pokemon snap sticker booths at blockbuster. I'll bet server service lasts only a year or two and then you'll be left with a crippled game, oh but don't worry, because that obsolescence was planned and they'll have the 2.0 ready for full price. Oh, and none of your previous cash shop stuff will apply so you'll have to buy it all over again, thank$ Nintendo!

Sure Pokemon is a interesting idea for a AR game but when they need to constant feed your GPS data and maybe even video data to a server then I expect that the game should know where there is a big enough water for the water type pokemons and not put wild water pokemon up in the middle of a street.

Also isn't it strange wenn your indoor and wild pokemon show up in the AR i.e. in front of your TV? (According to tests and screens at different webpages)

Because the find item in a real world was already a big hit years back in Japan I expect more from the newer Pokemon Go game and not just add some kind of fighting and Pokemon catching to it while at the same time break the find item part compared to the previous hit.

This older AR game had already seed items in the RL world that vanish for all other once a player "picked" it up at its location.

Yeah, we've never really had an off-topic forum because usually OT topics only last for a little bit. We can create one if it gets too distracting, but for now, the signal to noise ratio doesn't seem that bad.

...as long as everyone's having fun. :)

NOISE NOISE NOISE!

(Probably will need to move the Cool Kickstarter thread and this one to the OT forum, if it opens.)

Legit game, maybe, but it stinks to high heaven like a cash grab. Reminds me of those Pokemon snap sticker booths at blockbuster. I'll bet server service lasts only a year or two and then you'll be left with a crippled game, oh but don't worry, because that obsolescence was planned and they'll have the 2.0 ready for full price. Oh, and none of your previous cash shop stuff will apply so you'll have to buy it all over again, thank$ Nintendo!

It isn't in full-blown cash grab mode yet. What it is currently is an experiment, a proof of concept that games like this can work (outside Japan, apparently). When people are confident that it works (and, not coincidentally, when many more individuals have been drawn into it) they'll open the micro and subscription floodgates.

Because the find item in a real world was already a big hit years back in Japan I expect more from the newer Pokemon Go game and not just add some kind of fighting and Pokemon catching to it while at the same time break the find item part compared to the previous hit.

This older AR game had already seed items in the RL world that vanish for all other once a player "picked" it up at its location.

Non-Japanese don't know that, and even if they do, people'll just make excuses. Quality isn't that big a factor here, novelty is.

NOISE NOISE NOISE!

In all seriousness, I hate smart-phones, and all their big-brother traits. So it goes to say that anything made for one isn't going to score many points with me. But then, we still have a rotary phone in service in our house. Whenever we get called by a computer that demands we press 1 to talk to someone, we laugh and hang up. Sometimes we skip the laughing.

You sure? I'll lean on the "we'll see it when it happens" because everything seems fun. I guess it would happen, yet it wouldn't be a surprise. Once people start settling down after being saturated enough, progressed enough, and just desiring more then I don't see anything wrong with purchasing more. Again, people love spending the money so I don't see why it shouldn't keep following the "convenience" route in the manner that's done in KanColle. Once you start slapping ads THEN cry wolf.

Also, there's misinformation being posted of bird/ghost in trees & such. That's not true. Didn't read that Pokemon are in a general area of shouting distance for you to throw a pokeball at. Your typical apartment parking lot from one end to the other is how far you can capture Pokemon. Again, from one side of a street intersection to another, or a typical school soccerfield. Something roughly like that. Pokemon appear then you can just move them around to make a diorama type scene. It be neat if they did appear on a tree branch, yet that may be done later from all the jokes & gags done. Even so, the game is legit fun, and plays the way Pokemon does. I'm seeing people having fun, and fun is what game should be doing. If people are having fun then there's something right being done. THe moment people start hating on one another, wanting to rape, or death threats, or just rage-quitting in a game then that game is a useless piece of crap. I don't see that in Pokemon GO. Nobody is raging. Maybe over servers, yet that's going to be settled.

Also, about longevity, I don't give a shit. I don't care if it lasts 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. I haven't been able to keep a game long enough for 2 years in one I would go back with the same file. That goes with Pokemon on the gameboy (Red/blue/yellow/Silver/Gold/Crystal). Even if I did, I would simply restart a new save file in the new line of thinking that I'd simply progress with that new line of experiences and mood. If the game dies, then the game dies. Big deal. No loss there as a whole, if a void is formed which nobody gives a crap about. I've been shafted by the useless Konami for killing 'Busou Shinki - Battle Rondo', yet won't have any alternative to play that. Maybe the Vita versions with Battlemasters & Battlemasters Mk.II, but yeah. KanColle might die, yet it has KanColle Kai & the Arcade. Been having issues getting it [busou SHinki Battlemasters MK II] on Vita, from PSP. Then there's 'Star Wars: Galaxies' with the 'Jump to Lightspeed' expansion which was killed. That was rudely patched & destroyed, similar in a Konami manner, that I'm still waiting for a brave and wise development team to do a proper ACTUAL free-roam world in the Star Wars universe. People are so set on stories that they just don't understand the concept of just putting the world there to then have people do the rest. That, and we're missing the Silent Hunter 3 successor & a surface ship game inspiring from, raising the bar that much more. Nothing seems to beat Pokemon Crystal for me though with the two regions. Give me that free-roaming Pixelmon-type Pokemon game, or data to allow me to play Pokemon GO on the go :P . Data plans in Canada are god damn expensive, if still affordable.

I'm set for losing my Pokemon, yet I have the picture function to pay homage to them in the future. I have a simple phone game to converse with friends & coworkers with in a happy tone, not a pessimistic one I'm finding here. Victory Belles forums is the pissiest forum I've been to with that I've had more fights here than everywhere else. We're all trying to be in a stupid bubble that popping it is like waking someone up from a deep sleep. I have yet to meet a person in the real world being genuinely hateful & against. I've only seen neutral-minded folks, and highly positive ones. Granted, that I do share Metis's high concerns & fears.

This whole thing about cash shops and such, who cares. If people want to spend money to have fun, then so be it. If it isn't abused, and people are having fun, then I'm chill with it. People buy beer & booze, as well as guns in America so it's all fine as long as people are having legit fun. One thing I forgot to note is the following:

- https://twitter.com/LentiSoup/status/751985222476980229 -

Someone bought Pokemon Lures to activate at Pokestops at a park for others to benefit from that it caused a massive gathering & a social gathering. Someone bought a cheap ingame item a few times to benefit others in gaining Pokemon, and that's legit fun, and a legit game. This is what games should be about. It should be about having fun, and fun is now hard to find in games when everybody is all serious & spreadsheet gaming. People are way too serious for their own good.

Seriously, how can I hate on this game when people are having legit fun? Sure, it has its flaws, yet it's still giving people so much fun I can't crap on it. I've had positive experiences, and from the way things are going it might keep up. Yet, I guess there shall be a time when Metis's foresight might happen, yet that's unavoidable. Make what you can of the present, then make sure to put what you learn from the past into the future. Make sure something even greater replaces it, and maybe longer. It's all fun and games, and it's all worthwhile.

----------

Edit: What Legate just said about. People are having fun so it's all worthwhile & fun.

Again, people love spending the money so I don't see why it shouldn't keep following the "convenience" route in the manner that's done in KanColle. Once you start slapping ads THEN cry wolf.

Mostly because it continues to confirm the accepted and (nominally) effective nature of micros, meaning it will continue to develop and spread as opposed to something, you know, actually good for salty old-timers like myself. Used to be that you paid money for expansion packs that added half the vanilla game's worth of content or more. Nowadays they pay money so they don't have to play the game because it takes literal days/weeks to get anything done. "But the game are free!" you say? It's every developer's favorite buzz word and I hear it constantly, but consequently, I don't trust it. "Free to download, costs forty bucks a month to use". "Free to play, just don't expect to get anywhere without paying micros and mind the invasive ads". "Free to use, but after a month I'll be expecting an up-front payment of fifty bucks as your trial period ends". "Buy this and you'll get this other thing added for free, but after the first month you're paying premium for both".

In fact, I don't trust most thing these days. Too many advertisement tricks to prop up a bad game, too few development tricks to make an actually good game. Want to know a fun fact? The smiling woman on the video thumbnail in the OP confirms this isn't all it's cranked up to be. People smiling like that is a dead give-away that it's an advertisement, something specifically designed and created to sell something. If I can't trust the video's intentions, why trust the message? And when the video inevitably mentions the game is free to play, usually multiple times, and that turns out to not be the case because of the inevitable presence (and necessity) of micros/ads, meaning the message clearly can't be trusted, well, then what? What am I supposed to do, other than complain, when people try to sell me a pack of lies technical truths with a badly faked smile?

Even so, the game is legit fun, and plays the way Pokemon does.

If you're talking about the mainline games, that statement is clearly nonsense. I haven't heard of people needing to take down a criminal syndicate hideout to get a ghost-seeing scope to climb to the top of a necropolis because of a persistent ghostly roadblock to defeat even more criminal syndicate goons to save some guy to get flute to wake up a fat roadblock and thank the stars they listened to an old man talk about riding his Rapidash in ways God never intended so you could get a voucher for a stupidly expensive bicycle so they can actually ride down the bicycle-only road as opposed to walking the long way through a mess of paths over a random body of water and through a tiny maze to get to a city because the hand-sized bird that flies you everywhere doesn't understand the concept of flying you to places that you haven't walked (or rode a bicycle) to yet.

*Takes deep breath*

Whatever to you mean "sarcastic"? I have no idea what you're talking about :P.

Yet, I guess there shall be a time when Metis's foresight might happen, yet that's unavoidable.

Not if people collectively came together, taught (their) kids to tell fiction from reality, and re-instated the old standard of someone going off and pretending to be in his/her own world as being either an imaginative child or a mentally disturbed teen/adult. As opposed to the current trend where strapping $400 worth of TV goggles to your eyes gives you a moniker of "early adaptor of technological innovation". Yes, that's in it's infancy and there aren't people who get lost for hours on end playing Collect-A-Harem Simulator yet, but it'll happen sooner rather than later and accepting that people can shut themselves out to such an extend now will only mean that come crunch time it'll be too late.

No one gets to hate on cash shop but for me, who has been exposed to the uncaring void that is Chinese Online Games on any platforms. :P

"Games" is perhaps too generous a term for those digital money sinks...

As someone who enjoys and has every mainline Pokemon game to date, I am currently playing Pokemon Go and enjoying it as something to do while out and about.

Cm8_hT5VUAArlUf.jpg

Cm-5e2UUIAAN8qO.jpg

For reference, I made an American iTunes account and downloaded the game. Swapped back to my Canadian account then logged into Pokemon Go. It uses Google ID so it's not tied to Apple ID or Android.

and plays the way Pokemon does.

Yeah, I've watched someone play the game, it plays nothing like the mainline games. They've stripped out the entire meta game and reduced it to just hitting attack over & over, which for me doesn't make a game fun.

Archived