Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 43- USS Arizona

RockyArby

c60288c5de63bf3a7e6fb4308a2ed041_origina

The latest update comes as a surprise yet one that also comes in rememberance of the honored dead that fought and gave the last measure of devotion to, not just a nation, but a way of life. Please enjoy this awesome interview and give thanks to those who serve no matter the Nation.

Oklahoma didn't really explode as high. She capsized after several torpedo hits, then took several more. As for Arizona... not christening with juice. It's one of a few bad omens. I find it's better to be safe than sorry, so I do pay attention to such silly things. It does make you wonder, though.

Mahan fan-girling was pretty great!

Go climb a mountain the Japanese said... it will be fun they said... but as Arizona said "leaving aside the unspeakable treachery of it...they did a fine job."

Good on BCS for getting this one out in time for the big day.

It's a day late, but, I served at Pearl Harbor, after I graduated from Submarine School, and I've visited the Arizona Memorial. It is an incredibly somber experience. Honestly, as I was in uniform at the time (as it was something the Navy wanted it's new sailors to do for PR) I felt incredibly flustered because a lot of the tourists there were taking picture of us and thanking us for our sacrifice, as if we ourselves somehow were related to the disaster. I know it's not the same thing, but, it left a bad feeling all the same. You can still see a light oil slick from the leaking fuel tanks.

Here's a few pictures I took from that time that I'd like to share now.
x6g5cw.jpg
el7kh2.jpg

b97klx.jpg

Yes. Compared to the Missouri and Bowfin memorials, this one is downright depressing.

Ever since that day, the Navy instituted a much stricter duty system so that ships would not be as defenseless in the future. While due to larger crew sizes, surface ships do not suffer as much, but for Submariners who have to stay onboard every 3-4 days even on weekends. It can be considered the bane of one's existence. :)

Arizona with the shoutout to her only sister Penny. Awwww She's so modest.

Okay I was fan-boying as much as Mahan. Explains why I teared up at the end.

If I can ever get the money to go to Hawaii it will mostly be to see the Arizona Memorial.

Free space, I deffinetly can understand how you feel. It was always bewildering when someone thanks you on days like memorial day. But then again my CC trained us that no one should be thanked for just doing their job, so it may be that got thinking got stuck in my head.

Hi ho!

Up until today, all i knew about Arizona came from the "Pearl Harbor" movie... but today i did learn a lot more.

Fame. Tragedy. Awareness. A very worthwile character in my book.

Perhaps i'll take her for a ride should i obtain her somehow.

Archived