Black Chicken Studios Forums

Kriegsmarineministerium

Käpt'n Korky

15.Oktober 1939, a public phone in the reception of the KMM in Berlin, Reichpietschufer? Tirpitzufer, 15 Minutes after the briefing

"Kowalski? Korky hier." ...
"Kowalski? Korky here." ...

"Ja sie haben mich rausgelassen." ....
"Yes, they let me out." ...

*lacht* "Ja das hab ich mir auch gedacht." ...
*laughs* "Yes, that's what I thought as well." ...

"Ja, aber hör mal Kowalski, wir haben diesmal keinen Arschtritt bekommen. Viel schlimmer." ...
" Yes, but listen Kowalski, we didn't get a kick in the ass. Much worse." ...

"Was? Nein, kein Einbruch in Scapa. Bleib mal Ernst." ...
"What? No, no break-in in Scapa. Stay serious." ...

"Ich hab neue Befehle für uns. Wir werden das Schiff behalten, allerdings werden wir wohl eine neue Crew bekommen." ...
"I got new orders for us. We will keep the ship, but we will probably get a new Crew." ...

"Nein, wer will kann bleiben, aber nachdem ich die neuen Befehle bekanntgebe, dürfen alle gehen die den Befehl nicht ausführen wollen. Ich fürchte das werden einige sein." ...
"No, they can stay if they want to, but after I announce the new orders everyone has permission to leave if they don't want to execute the order. I'm afraid some will do so." ...

"Das kann ich dir natürlich nicht am Telefon sagen, du Pfeife!" ...
"Of course I can't tell you on the phone, you pipe*!" ...

"Schon gut. Sag mir lieber ob du als KaLeu alles im Griff hast." ...
"Nevermind. Better tell me if you as KaLeu got everything under control." ...

"Nein, ich komme sobald ich den Papierkram erledigt und meine Sachen habe." ...
"No, I come as soon as I finished all the paperwork and got my belongings." ...

"Ja spätestens in zwei Tagen bin ich wieder in ..."
"Yes, at the latest I will be back in two days in ..."

"Ach? Das haben sie mir gar nicht gesagt. Der feine Herr von Hertz-Emden." ...
"I see? They didn't tell me. The swell Mister von Hertz-Emden." ...

"Was? Das is' unser neuer Chef." ...
"What? That's our new boss." ...

"Ja nen Emden." ...
"Yes an Emden." ...

"Ja das weiß ich auch. Scheint auch kein schlechter Kerl zu sein. Hat vermutlich nur vergessen mir das zu sagen. Aber dafür hab ich dich ja Kowalski." ...
"Yes I know that as well. Also he seems to be no bad guy. Probably simply forgot to tell me. But that's why I got you Kowalski." ...

"Wie geht's Schmieding, Grabowski und dem Bayer?" ...
"How are Schmieding, Grabowski and the bavarian?" ...

"Grüß die mal schon von ihrem Kap'tän. Dann bleibt die Landrattentruppe ja scheinbar zusammen."...
"Already greet them from their Capt'n. The landrattroop seemingly stays together then." ...

"Wie geht's dem Schiff?" ...
"How's the ship?" ...

"Gut und wie geht's ihr?" ...
"Good and how's she?" ...

"Hm.... hm... hm..." **...
"Hm.... hm... hm..." ** ...

"Die Arme. Dann kannst du ihr ja sagen, dass ich unterwegs bin. Wir bleiben aber erstmal noch im Hafen. Ein paar Umrüstungen und Bevorratung. Kannst also das Bier kalt stellen, wir fahren frühestens in zwei Wochen irgendwo hin. Einzelheiten sag ich allen Übermorgen." ...
" The poor girl. You can tell her I'm on the way then. But we will stay harboured at first. A few modifications and resupply. So cool the beer, at the earliest we will be on the move in two weeks. I tell everyone details the day after tomorrow." ...

"Ja, wenns sein muss kriegen alle einen Schnaps zur Feier. Saufköppe." ...
"Yes if you have to, everyone gets a Schnaps for celebration. Boozeheads*." ...

"Du mich auch Kowalski. Bis Übermorgen."
"Same to you*** Kowalski. Until the day after tomorrow."

*klick*
*click*

* I decided to translate expletives literally, just to showcase them. I hope you like it.

** "Hm.." at the phone as a simple signal of listening.

*** He literally says "you me too" but afaik that makes no sense in english, does it? So I chose something that fits closely.

? It's Tirpitzufer between 1933 and 1947

• 4 weeks later...

I only just realized I made a joke about an attack on Scapa Flow in VB time one day after it happened in real life. Pure, blissful coincidence, I swear. No one in germany in Kowalskis position can possibly know about it until two days later. Kowalski will get one for it in the near future. XD

16. Oktober 1939, late evening in front of the KMM, Reichpietschufer? Tirpitzufer, Berlin.

Es war bewölkt an diesem Herbstabend als Korky endlich in das bestellte Auto der Fahrbereitschaft steigen konnte. Seinen Seesack warf er in den Kofferraum, den Aktenkoffer behielt er bei sich. Die Fahrt dauerte mindestens vier Stunden, die konnte er nicht die ganze Zeit mit dem Fahrer reden. Da kam ihm der Papierkram gerade recht.
It was a cloudy autumnevening when Korky was finally able to climb into the ordered car of the navy motor pool. He threw his kitbag into the trunk, the briefcase he kept to himself. The drive would take at least four hours, he couldn’t talk to the driver the whole time. The paperwork was very welcome.

Die positiven Nachrichten aus dem Saarland und Polen hatten im „Gästehaus“ im Keller für eine spontane Feier gesorgt, so dass der UvD es eilig hatte ihn zu entlassen. „Weihnachten feiern wir in Paris!“ hatte einer von diesen Grünschnäbeln auf dem Weg nach draußen gerufen.
The positive news from la sarre and poland had led to a spontaneous party in the “guesthouse” in the basement of the ministry, so the UvD* hurried to get him out. “We celebrate christmas in paris!” shouted one of those greenhorns on the way out.

Das hatte er schon einmal gehört. Damals, vor 25 Jahren als auch er es nicht erwarten konnte dem Vaterland zu dienen und schon traurig war, dass er mit 17 Jahren zu jung war. Der Krieg war aber „gnädig“ mit ihm, so dass er sich ein Jahr später als Abiturient für eine Offizierslaufbahn einschreiben konnte. Und weil er dachte, dass er dort eher überleben würde, wählte er die Marine. Er konnte schwimmen, das reichte.
He had heard this once. Back then, 25 years ago, when he too couldn’t wait to serve the Fatherland and was sad, because he was 17 and too young for war. But the war was “merciful” with him, so he could sign up one year later as Abiturient** and sign up for a officers career. And because he thought he would more likely survive there, he chose the navy. He could swim, that was sufficient.

Vor dem Fahrzeugfenster zog das verdunkelte Berlin an ihm vorbei. Das letzte was Korky noch verbindlich gewusst hatte bevor er und seine Mannschaft unter Arrest gestellt wurden war, dass es eine große Schlacht in Polen gegeben haben musste. Und scheinbar war sie gewonnen worden. Er fragte sich wer bis zuletzt durchgehalten hatte: Hela, Warschau, Przemysl***? Und wie war es im Westen weitergegangen? Scheinbar hatte sich erneut ein statischer Krieg entwickelt. Warum sonst sollte im Saarland gekämpft werden. Naja, Grabowski würde ihn schon auf den neuesten Stand bringen.
The blacked out Berlin passed on the other side of the carwindows. The last thing Korky had known for sure before he and his crew were arrested was the beginning of a big battle in Poland. And it was apparently won. He wondered who had stood to the last: Hel, Warsaw, Przemysl? And how did it develop in the west? Apparently the war there was static again. Why else should there still be fighting. Well, Grabowski would update him properly.

Korky griff in seine Aktentasche. Eine Mappe mit der Aufschrift „Sachstand der Verhandlungen über die sogenannte internationale Schutzmarine“ kam hervor. Korky öffnete sie und begann zu lesen. Offiziell hatte es den ersten Angriff einer Nixe am 28. September gegeben. Die Quelle war laut Text die britische Admiralität. Korky verzog eine Augenbraue. „Und wir haben den fliegenden Holländer bekämpft oder was?“, dachte er und las weiter. Solche außergewöhnlichen Kämpfe fanden wohl ausschließlich auf See statt. An Land hatte es bisher keine Sichtung von vergleichbaren Kreaturen gegeben. Seitdem wurde im Völkerbund darüber gestritten wie der Bedrohung zu begegnen sei.
Korky reached into his briefcase. A file with the label “Status of the negotiations about the so called international naval protection force” came out. Korky opened and started reading. The first official attack of a Nixe happened on the 28th of September. Korky raised an eyebrow. “And we fought the flying dutch man?”, he thought and read on. Such extraordinary fights seemed to take place exclusively on sea. On land no fights with comparable creatures were reported. Since then a discussion inside the league of nations had arisen, how to fight the new threat.

Schnell waren wohl die Neutralitätspatroullien aus der Zeit des spanischen Krieges zur Sprache gekommen. Sogar das deutsche und das japanische Reich waren dazu geladen worden. Seehandel und –für die kriegführenden Nationen viel wichtiger- Seekrieg waren fast vollständig zum Erliegen gekommen. Nur Schiffe auf denen sich eine Walküre manifestiert hatte waren in der Lage eine Konfrontation mit den Nixen zu überleben. Italien hatte wohl schon seine Unterstützung zugesichert, Japan schien auch angetan, nur Deutschland zögerte.
Soon the neutrality patrols from the spanish civil war were discussed as a role model. Even the german and japanese empire were invited to the meetings. Sea trading – and for the warring states much more important- sea warfare were heavily disrupted and nearly completely halted. Only ships with manifested Walküren were able to withstand an attack of the Nixen. Italy had already signaled support for the idea, Japan seemed intrigued as well, only Germany hesitated.

„Zu Recht!“, ging es Korky durch den Kopf. „Die Walküren zu neutralisieren bedeutet vermutlich den Seekrieg gegen England aufzugeben. Und England würde auch weit mehr von gesicherten Seerouten profitieren als wir. Also warum machen wir da mit?“ fragte er sich während er die Liste der Nationen mit bekannten Walküren durchsah. Sogar die Niederlande und Spanien hatten welche. Und Polen…. Wie es ihr wohl ging?
„Justified!“, crossed Korkys mind. „To neutralise the Walküren would probably mean to give up the sea warfare with England. And England would profit much more from secure sea trading than we would. So, why are we joinig in at all?” he asked himself while he checked the list with nations known to have Walküren. Even the Netherlands and Spain had some. And Poland…. How she’d be right now?

Nach einem kurzen Nickerchen wachte Korky vom Regenprasseln an der Scheibe des Auto auf. "Wie weit ist es noch?“, fragte er den Fahrer. „Noch eine gute Stunde bei diesem Wetter, Herr Kapitän.“ kam die Antwort. Korky griff sich den Einsatzbefehl und begann zu lesen. „Herr Kapitän?“ „Hm?“ brummelte Korky zurück. „Stimmt es dass Herr Kapitän eine Walküre zur Braut hat?“ Korky guckte völlig verwirrt auf. „Zur Braut? Junge ich bin vor drei Jahren durch den Tod geschieden worden. Seitdem wäre mir aufgefallen wenn ich geheiratet hätte.“ „Aber Herr Kapitän fahren doch nach Kiel, oder? Dort liegen alle Walküren der Ostsee im Moment.“ „Das mag sein, aber geheiratet habe ich sie nicht.“ „Aber das Schiff ist doch die Braut des Seemanns Herr Kap’tän. Und Walküren sind doch das Schiff habe ich gehört.“ „Hm, ist das so? Ich konnte meine leider noch nicht so gut kennenlernen. Und jetzt fahren’se mal lieber mehr mit Augen auf der Straße, Oberbootsmann. Ich muss diese Akte bis Kiel gelesen haben.“ „Jawohl, Herr Kapitän!“
After a short nap Korky woke up from the rain hitting the car’s window. “How far still?”, he asked the driver. “A bit over an hour in this weather, Herr Kapitän.”, came the answer. Korky grabbed the mission order and started reading. “Herr Kapitän?” „Hm?“, Korky muttered back. „Is it true? Herr Kapitän has a Walküre as his bride?“ Korky lokked up totally puzzeled. “As bride? Boy I was divorced three years ago through death. I would’ve noticed if I had remarried since then.” “But Herr Kapitän is going to Kiel, right? All Walküren of the Baltic sea anchor there at the moment.” “That’s possible but I didn’t marry her.” „But the ship ist the bride of the seaman, Herr Kap’tän. And Walküren are the ship, so I have heard.” „Hm, that’s the case? Regrettably I couldn’t get to know mine very well yet. And now drive with the eyes on the road, Herr Oberbootsmann. I have to finish reading this file until we are in Kiel.” “Yes, Herr Kapitän!”

„Diese Akte“ waren seine Einsatzbefehle. 1. Kommando über sein Schiff und die Walküre übernehmen, 2. Den „Walkürenbefehl“ verlesen, 3. Vorräte auffüllen, 4. Mannschaft falls nötig ergänzen und trainieren, 5. Auf weitere Befehle warten. Das Schiff wurde der 2ten Nixenjägergruppe – Gruppe Ostsee zugeteilt. Eigentlich ganz einfach. Wenn er nicht so unsicher wäre ob seine Walküre weiterhin sein Kommando akzeptierte. Immerhin waren sie nach wenigen Tagen getrennt worden. Außerdem wusste er nicht wer von den Männern gehen würde. Sowohl wegen der Gefährlichkeit der Aufgabe als auch wegen der veränderten Auftragslage. Immerhin sollten mit den Nixenjägern vornehmlich Nixen und nicht der Engländer* versenkt werden. Das könnte einigen Torfköppen den „Spaß“ nehmen. Pah, Spaß. Als wäre ein Krieg Spaß.
„This file“ were his mission orders. 1.Taking command of his ship and the Walküre, 2. To read the “Walkürenorder” to the crew, 3. Resupply, 4. Replenish and train new crew if necessary, 5. Await new orders.The ship was to be assigned to the 2nd Nixenhuntergroup – group baltic sea. Actually pretty simple. If he weren’t so unsure if his Walküre still accepted his command. They had been separated after a few days after all. He also was unsure how many men would leave the crew. Reason could be the danger of the mission as well as the changed mission parameters. After all the Nixenhunters were to hunt Nixen primarily and not sink the English. It could take the “fun” out of the mission for some peatheads. Pah, fun. As if war was fun.

Die wahre Schwierigkeit lag allerdings im vierten Punkt. Wenn wirklich ein Teil der Männer gehen würde, wer würde als Ersatz kommen? Bestimmt nur Halsabschneider und Aussortierte. Es war kein Geheimnis, dass die Nixenjäger ein Himmelfahrtskommando waren. Nur Leute die ehrgeizig und dumm waren oder keine Wahl hatten würden als Ersatz kommen. Und der Befehl galt für zunächst zwei Wochen. Wie zur Hel sollte er da Leute trainieren die vielleicht zuletzt in der Grundausbildung auf einem Schiff gewesen waren? Korkys Stirn legte sich in Falten. Bevor er sich Sorgen um die Nixen machen konnte musste er erstmal das eigene Haus in Ordnung haben. Sorgenvoll blickte er in den nächtlichen Regen hinaus.
Alas, the true difficulty hid in the fourth point. If really a portion of the men went away, who would replace them? Probably only cutthroats and sorted out ones. It was no secret: The Nixenjäger were a suicide squad. Only people who were ambitious and stupid or had no other choice would be send as replacements. And the orders lasted only for two weeks. How in hel should he train people who had set foot on a ship the last time in basic training? Korkys furrowed his brows. Before he could worry about the Nixen, he had to get his house in order.
Sorrowful he gazed into the nightly rain.

-------

*UvD: Short for "Unteroffizier vom Dienst". The seargent on guard duty at the moment. Often accompanied by the GvD "Gefreiter vom Dienst", the private on guard duty.
** Someone holding a school degree allowing you to attend university in germany. It's called Abitur (read: ah-bee-tour).
*** I apologise for the lack of polish letters

? It's Tirpitzufer between 1933 and 1947

• 2 months later...

If anyone writes dialogues with germans some countries can be helpful:

"Das kommt mir spanisch vor." - lit.: This seems spanish to me.                                          Meaning: Something is odd.

"Noch ist Polen nicht verloren." - lit.: Poland is not lost yet.                                                 Meaning: The situation is dire, but there's hope.

"Jetzt ist Holland in Not." - lit.: Now Holland is in distress.                                                     Meaning: The situation is dire and it's too late to fix it.

"Das ist alles chinesisch für mich." - lit.: That's all chinese to me.                                        Meaning: I don't understand it/what you say.

"Alter Schwede!" - lit: Old swede.                                                                                         Meaning: Exclamation when you're impressed or excited. Similar to "Oh boy!"

"Das sind für mich böhmische Dörfer." - lit.: It's bohemian villages to me.                            Meaning: It's unknown to me./ I don't know anything about it.

"Es ist etwas faul im Staate Dänemark." - lit.: Something is rotten in the state of denmark. Meaning: Since it's from hamlet, I assume english speaker can use it as well, when a situation is fishy.

"Gott strafe England." - lit.: God punish England.                                                                Meaning: Good morning. *micdrop* (No joke.) Between german soldiers who fought the english in WWI and WWII it was a greeting. The correct response is: "Er strafe es." - "He shall punish it."

"Ich will leben wie Gott in Frankreich." - lit.: I want to live like god in france.                         Meaning: I want a perfect, careless life. "wie Gott in Frankreich" can also be used in other contexts and bearings.

14 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

it is certainly an interesting set of expressions.  Are they usable in daily life, or would it sound odd or eccentric to say them to someone in Germany?

Except for the very outdated England one, they are usable in everyday conversation nowadays. But in 1939 they should all be common. But the Poland one could be out of use in 1939.

Disclaimer: This will be the last post about Korky in the KMM. The KMM-thread was not intended to carry Korky’s story, it kind of happened since I decided to start with “off-ship” scenes. I used this to show a little bit of what I imagine could have happened during those days in 1939 germany to a captain like him. To show a bit of the “surroundings”, like a glimpse into the bureaucracy of how a captain gets finally assigned and stuff. But since Korky finally arrives at his ship I will continue his story in a future pure FF-thread. Link to come.
And a big thank you to @Wellington99, who helped me out with mancunian for Ruhrgebietsdeutsch.

17.Oktober 1939, Marinearsenal Kiel, 0200h.

Als sich der Wagen Kiel genähert hatte, hatte sich Korkys Zustand gebessert. Vermutlich half ihm die Seeluft sich wieder wie der Kapitän zu fühlen der er war und sein wollte. Das einzige was seine Laune eingetrübt hatte, war die Umständlichkeit der Marineverwaltung.
As the car closed in on Kiel, Korky got better. The sea air probably helped him to feel like the captain he was and wanted to be. The only thing dampening his mood, was the intricateness of the navy administration.

Anstatt ihn einfach am Stützpunktkommando einzulassen, hatte der UvD darauf bestanden, dass Korky nur Papiere hatte um zum Arsenal zu gehen. Das lag auf der anderen Seite der Kieler Bucht. Oder einmal durch die Stadt mit dem Auto.
Instead of simply letting him into the naval base commmand, the UvD insisted he only had papers to gain entrance into the arsenal on the other side of the Kiel bay. Or once through the whole city by car.

Nach einigem Zureden hatte der UvD endlich eingesehen, dass man Korky am Arsenal nur einlassen würde, wenn er sich zuerst am Stützpunktkommando gemeldet hatte. Korky hatte nie verstanden, warum man das in Kiel so umständlich machte.
After some blandishing the UvD finally understood Korkys problem. He would only be granted permission if he had reported to base command first. Korky never got why they made things so complicated in Kiel.

Der OvD hatte sich auch nur eine Stunde Zeit gelassen die Papiere fertig zu machen, damit Korky endlich abdampfen konnte. Leicht genervt stieg Korky jetzt am Arsenal aus dem Auto in die nieselige Nacht. Er verabschiedete sich von seinem Fahrer und ging zu der Mole an der sein Schiff liegen sollte. Trotz Verdunklung und miesem Wetter waren die Umrisse der Schiffe klar zu erkennen.
Just one hour later the OvD* had finally finished Korkys papers and he could steam off. Now, slightly bugged, Korky got out of the car into the drizzly night. He said his goodbyes to his driver and walked over to the mole, where his ship was supposed to be docked. The outlines of the ships were clearly visible, despite the obscuration and the lousy weather.

Alle Walkürenschiffe hatte man in den Rückraum verlegt, das Arsenal. Im Stützpunkt waren nur Schiffe ohne Walküren geblieben. Korky stellte sich an die Kante der Mole und schaute in die leicht verregnete Nacht hinein.
All Walkürenships had been moved to the rear side, the arsenal. In the base itself only ships without Walküren were docked. Korky positioned himself at the edge of the mole and gazed into the slightly rainy night.

In der Ferne konnte man bei dieser schlechten Sicht den Marinstützpunkt nur erahnen. Als er sich umdrehte sah er allerdings sehr gut die riesigen Werfthallen direkt hinter dem Arsenal.
With the lousy sight, he could only adumbrate the navy base in the distance. But when he turned around he could see the huge dockyard halls closely behind the arsenal.

Was würde ihn wohl erwarten nachdem er seine Walküre nur kurz und dann sehr lange gar nicht gesehen hatte? Wie ging es wohl der Mannschaft und was für Probleme hatten sie wohl bekommen? Ob noch alle da waren?
What could he expect since he had seen his Walküre only briefly and then not anymore for quite some time? How was the crew and in what kind of trouble did they get? Was everyone still there?

Ruhigen Schrittes ging er weiter. „Halt Parole!“ rief auf einmal eine Stimme neben ihm. Querab standen zwei Marinesoldaten in einem kleinen Wachhaus. Korky nannte die Parole**. Nach einigen Kontrollfragen, woher und wohin, durfte Korky passieren. Das Fallreep seines Zerstörers*** war herunter gelassen.
He walked on calmly. „Halt watchword!“ a voice shouted suddenly beside him. Abeam stood two navy soldiers in a small watch shag. Korky told them the watchword**. After some control questions about his whences and whereabouts, Korky was granted passage. The gangway of his destroyer*** was down.

In dem Moment, als er seinen Fuß auf das Fallreep setzte ertönte von oben eine Stimme: „Halt wer da?“ Korky schaute hoch. Es war der lange Müller. „Dein Kapitän, Bootsmann!“ erwiderte Korky. Langsam ging er die Stiege hoch. „Und sei leise, die Männer wollen schlafen.“ sagte Korky als er den Bootsmann erreichte und ihm den Finger auf das Pfeifchen legte.
The moment he set a foot on the gangway, a voice was heard from above: „Halt, who’s there?“ Korky looked up. It was the tall Müller. „Your captain, Bootsmann!“ Korky responded. He slowly climbed up the gangway. „And be quiet, the men want to sleep.“ said Korky as he reached the Bootmann and put his finger on the Bootsmann’s small whistle. 

„Seite pfeifen kannste Moagen imma noch, wennze alle wach sind, woll? Is’ meine Kajüte leea?“ fragte er weiter. “Jawoll Herr Kap’tän.”, salutierte Bootsmann Müller. Korky salutierte zurück. “Dann hau ich mich ma hin. Sach der Moagenwache se soll alle ‘ne viettel Stunde nach’m Wechsel antreten lassen. Dann habt ihr noch Zeit euch fettich zu machen.“
„You can pipe aboard tomorrow when everyone’s awake, can’t cha? Is my cabin free?” he asked. “Yes, Herr Kap’tän.”, saluted Bootsmann Müller. Korky saluted back, “I’ll ‘ave a kip then. Tell the morning watch they’ll line up quarter past changing of the watch. Then your watch can prep up as well.”

Korky ging am langen Müller vorbei und schaute sich um. Es tat gut wieder hier zu sein. Er merkte wie eine gewisse Anspannung von ihm abfiel. Langsam ging er in Richtung der Kapitänskajüte. Vorsichtig, beinahe zärtlich legte er sein Hand auf die Reling und flüsterte „Da bin ich wieda.“ In dem Moment schaukelte das Schiff ganz sacht, als wäre es gerade über eine sanfte Bugwelle gerollt.
Korky walked past the tall Müller slowly and looked around. It felt good to be back. He could feel how a certain amount of stress fell off of him. He slowly proceeded towards the captain’s cabin. Careful, almost affectionate he rested his Hand on the railing and whispered “I’m back.” Just then the ship swayed very gently, as if it just wallowed through a gentle bow wave.

„War Sie das?“ fragte sich Korky. Er salutierte noch einem Matrosen der Wache dem er begegnete und ging dann in seine Kajüte. Morgen würde sehr interessant werden.
„Was it her?” Korky asked himself. He saluted another sailor of the watch he came across and went into his cabin. Tomorrow would become very interesting.

*OvD = officer of the watch
**Hah, zought I’d shpill military zecrets in times of woar! Not wiz zis vriter. XD
***I’ll name it once I’m sure which destroyer I’ll choose. In other words: After the game release.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi alle zusammen,

Ninjapacman gave me the initiative to talk german starters.

If I did not miscount the KM has 20 potential starters. (1934 and 1936 destroyers ready prior to Sep 1st '39)
Was anywhere mentioned how much starter the major powers will get each? 5 or 6?

What will you do @Ninjapacman, if there is one more prussian than Z17? Z8 maybe? Her namesake was a prussian and did a very "prussian" thing at the end of the war. Which could be the reason why Z9 is not in the game, because they did "it" together, but Z9s namesake wasn't prussian.

Or Z20 could be an interesting choice if you like Torpedoes and I would think it's in the game for one very good reason. It survived as the only 1936er if I'm not mistaken.

Z19 is probably in and a good choice if you like CQC, war heroes and hate England.

Btw if I choose Z18 I so much hope Z21 is in the game as well. That'd be sweet. But I think it's realistic to say she was scrapped from the list for being too similar in name background.

Z3 is very similar to Z1, so she's maybe out as well.

Z5 on the other hand..... this little 1934er is connected directly to Graf Spee. Ninja, if she's in.... maybe she leads you to Spee. As starter or later reinforcement.

One of Z6, Z14 and Z15 could be in. Or all. Because their namesakes have a direct connection to the Skagerrakbattle*, which is still to this day the most important sea battle in german naval history. And all three ships survived WWII. And the namesake of Z15 died on the one of Z14 after his ship was sunk. Just a little something maybe?

The namesake of Z16 also died in the Skagerrakbattle, but in contrast to the others: Z16 sunk during WWII.

And hell yeah Z10 would be one for.... "if I told you I'd have to kill you", maybe? At least she can probably speak fluent english.

Z2, Z4, Z7, Z11, Z12, Z13 are probably all out as well, since they all strike me as rather.... uninteresting, compared to the others. Except maybe Z13 because "unlucky number", but then again: Z1 and Z3 (who put together are 1 and 3 = 13).

That's just my speculations. I take the approach of "doubled history equals one of them is not in the game", but the "ships with very similar namesake stories are more likely to be all in the game" approach is valid as well. But each major fleet has only between 15 and 20 ships total in '39 so naturally not all Zerstörer will be in it.

*Battle of Jutland for all british spies.

1 minute ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Hi alle zusammen,

Ninjapacman gave me the initiative to talk german starters.

If I did not miscount the KM has 20 potential starters. What will you do @Ninjapacman, if there is one more prussian than Z17?

Obviously I'd get all of them.  I would pick the one I like most (Diether Von Roeder is currently holding a very strong position) then I would use them to get Graf Spee and if I have time, the rest of the Prussians.

Maybe I'll make the noblest destroyer division ever with 6 Prussian destroyers, if there are that many.

1 hour ago, Ninjapacman said:

Obviously I'd get all of them.  I would pick the one I like most (Diether Von Roeder is currently holding a very strong position) then I would use them to get Graf Spee and if I have time, the rest of the Prussians.

Maybe I'll make the noblest destroyer division ever with 6 Prussian destroyers, if there are that many.

Just a hint about "prussian destroyers": Hans Lüdemann. I couldn't find his birthplace, but his name indicates he was rather from the Kingdom of Hannover, not Prussia. So one off your Prussian list. (I think I mentioned it somewhere else already)

Thanks for that tidbit, Legate,  it's very helpful.  As for Paul Jacobi, she looks interesting but her only connection to Spee is a single tour of the Mediterranean.  I think I'd still like to get her just in case.

19 minutes ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Each Major Nation has 3 starters + any extras unlocked (Rawalpindi and Mahan, for instance.)

Thank you very much legate. As you can see in my post above I wasn't aware of it. 

I'd like to point out for the hasty reader: I was speculating about all the possible destroyers the KM might have ingame. And I "declared" 7 to 8 of them as "probably in". And that's a realistic number I guess. But I admit later '39 additions can inclue destroyers commissioned after the 1st of Sep. So that derails my speculation a bit. ^^" 

• 2 months later...

@Legate of Mineta

*cough* I just read the Nürnberg Update (again) and uhm... she states the city is situated on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal.... on which construction began in 1960..... I'm sure she means the Ludwig-Main-Donau-Canal. and a black sun has 12 spokes....*cough*

On 12/20/2017 at 2:49 PM, Käpt'n Korky said:

I hope the writers don't hate me already..... if they do, I hope the bounty on my head is at least a worthy sum.

I'm already standing by to collect if so

• 2 weeks later...

Guten Tag meine lieben Mitkapitäne! (Oh hey, I DID see you there. Blue text means english. Just look for it.)

Da ich im Moment wenig zu tun habe und ich ein wenig gelangweilt, habe ich mir einen Test ausgedacht für alle die überlegen als Deutschland zu spielen.

Der "Test" ist natürlich nur Spaß und völlig subjektiv und bitte nicht ernst nehmen. Und ich habe versucht ihn jugendfrei zu halten. Meiner Meinung nach ist mir das gelungen. Wem etwas auffällt, bitte melden.

Achja, der Test ist auch so politisch korrekt wie es mir möglich erschien, damit auch alle die einfach nur Schiffmädchen sammeln wollen und denken, dass Deutschland einfach nur aus technischen oder ästhetischen Gründen die beste Nation ist, mitmachen können. Geschichte und Geographie sollte man trotzdem kennen. Ich habe versucht einen maritimen Bezug zu finden, soweit es mir als eingefleischter Landratte möglich war. Und jetzt viel Erfolg! Die Antworten sind immer im Spoiler. Wem etwas an den Antworten auffällt auch bitte melden.

Achja und wer irgendetwas nachschlägt nachdem die erste Frage gelesen wurde schummelt und darf den Post nicht mehr lesen. Ätsch! 

1. Warum liegt Ostfriesland im Westen von Deutschland?

Spoiler

Weil es östlich der niederländischen Frieslande liegt. 

2. Nenne drei unterschiedliche deutsche Kaisernamen. (Unterschiedliche! Hans I., Hans II. und Hans III. zählt nicht.)

Spoiler

Otto, Heinrich, Konrad, Lothar, Friedrich, Ludwig, Karl, Sigismund, Maximilian, Ferdinand, Rudolf, Matthias, Leopold, Joseph(f), Franz, Wilhelm

3. Nenne drei deutsche Admirale von vor 1935. (Ja, prominente Flottenführer, z.B. der Hamburger oder Lübecker Flotte, vor 1871 zählen auch. Die "Lösung" ist willkürlich und nur exemplarisch.)

Spoiler

Alfred von Tirpitz, Franz von Hipper, Maximilian Graf von Spee, Reinhard Scheer. Japp, die vier Admirale nach denen deutsche Schiffe benannt sind. Boom Fangfrage. Alle bis Erich Raeder zählen. Ach geh, Wilhelm von Tegetthoff zählt auch. Ansonsten jeder Admiral der euch einfällt. aber ihr seid dann hoffentlich ehrlich gewesen. ;)

4. Nenne drei Flüsse die in Deutschland, im Jahr 1935, ins Meer fließen.

Spoiler

Ems, Weser. Elbe, Eider, Schlei, Köppernitz, Schwentine, Trave, Warnow, Recknitz, Barthe, Peene, Oder,  Elbing, Pregel, Stolpe, Deima, Nemonien, Gilge

5. Was sind die freien Städte 1935?

Spoiler

Die drei Hansestädte Bremen, Hamburg und Lübeck

6. Nenne drei deutsche Länder.

Spoiler

Bremen, Hamburg, Lübeck, (hä? Ja.), Preußen, Oldenburg, Braunschweig, Pfalz, Saarland, (Schaumburg-) Lippe (-Detmold), Anhalt, Mecklenburg, Hessen, Baden, Württemberg, Bayern, Sachsen, Thüringen.

7. Nenne zwei deutsche Militärhäfen die 1935 in Betrieb sind.

Spoiler

Wilhelmshaven, Kiel, Pillau, Bremerhaven, Flensburg, Warnemünde (als Beispiele)

8. Welches ist das größte deutsche Kriegsschiff 1935?

Spoiler

Die Admiral Scheer

9. Nenne drei deutsche Fußballvereine! (Nur Gauligenteilnehmer zwischen 1933/34 und 1938/39)

Bonuspunkt, wenn du einen Lieblingsverein hast (was vermutlich mindestens zwei Walküren auch haben werden).

Spoiler

z.B. Hamburger SV, FC St. Pauli, Werder Bremen, Holstein Kiel, 1.FC Nürnberg, FC Schalke 04, ansonsten vgl. Gauliga Ostpreußen, Po.mmern, Berlin-Brandenburg, Schlesien, Sachsen, Mitte, Nordmark, Niedersachsen, Westfalen, Niederrhein, Mittelrhein, Hessen, Südwest, Baden, Württemberg, Bayern

Auswertung:

Spoiler

0-1 Seeziege (Matrose)

2-3 Messebackschafter (Matrose der sich benehmen kann)

4-5 Schmutzfußindianer (Heizer)

6-7 Ulli vom Deich (Unteroffizier vom Dienst)

8-9 kleiner Seestern (Kapitän z.S.)

10 großer Seestern (Admiral)

I made up a test for all those who ponder to Germany as a nation they’d like to play.
The "test" is of course just fun and totally subjective and please do not take it seriously. And I tried to keep it totally sfw, political correct, rated E for Everybody and all that stuff. In my opinion, I succeeded.

If you notice something, please contact me.

The test is no test of mind or "Nazitest", all of you who just want to collect shipgirls and think that Germany is, just for technical or aesthetic reasons, the best nation can join. You should still know history and geography. I tried to find naval related Germany questions, as far as I was able to as a true landlubber. And now much success! The answers are always in the spoiler. If you notice something about the answers, please report as well.
Oh and anyone who looks up something after the first question has been read cheats and may no longer read the post. Yah!

0. In case you are Wellington99,

Spoiler

skip the questions and go to the result: “In case you are Welly”. Thank you.

Everyone else, since you can’t speak proper German, you’ll start with -1 point. Die Befehlssprache ist Deutsch.

1. Why is East-Frisia in the west of Germany?

Spoiler

Because it’s located to the east of the Dutch Frisian provinces.

2. Name three different German Kaiser names. (Different ones! Hans I., Hans II. and Hans III. Does NOT count.)

Spoiler

Otto, Heinrich, Konrad, Lothar, Friedrich, Ludwig, Karl, Sigismund, Maximilian, Ferdinand, Rudolf, Matthias, Leopold, Joseph(f), Franz, Wilhelm

3. Name three German admirals from before 1935. (Yes, prominent fleet leaders from before 1871, such as of the Hamburg or Lübeck fleet do count. The answers are arbitrary and only examples.)

Spoiler

Alfred von Tirpitz, Franz von Hipper, Maximilian Graf von Spee, Reinhard Scheer. Japp, the four admirals German Kriegsmarine ships were named after. Boom catch question. Also all Admirals up to Erich Raeder are valid answers. And okay, Wilhelm von Tegetthoff counts as well. Otherwise, every admiral you can think of. But then you were hopefully honest.

4. Name three rivers that flow into the sea in Germany in 1935.

Spoiler

Ems, Weser. Elbe, Eider, Schlei, Köppernitz, Schwentine, Trave, Warnow, Recknitz, Barthe, Peene, Oder, Elbing, Pregel, Stolpe, Deima, Nemonien, Gilge

5. What are the free cities in 1935?

Spoiler

The three Hanseatic cities Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck

6. Name three German states of 1935.

Spoiler

Bremen, Hamburg, Lübeck, (Huh? Yes.) Prussia, Oldenburg, Braunschweig, Pfalz (Palatinate), Saarland, (Schaumburg-) Lippe (-Detmold), Anhalt, Mecklenburg, Hessen, Baden, Württemberg, Bayern, Saxony, Thuringia.

7. Name two German military ports operative in 1935.

Spoiler

Wilhelmshaven, Kiel, Pillau, Bremerhaven, Flensburg, Warnemünde (list is incomplete)

8. Which is the largest German warship in 1935?

Spoiler

The Admiral Scheer

9. Name three German football clubs! (Only Gauliga participants between 1933/34 and 1937/38)
Bonus point if you have a favorite club (At least two Walküren will probably have one as well).

Spoiler

e.g. Hamburger SV, FC St. Pauli, Werder Bremen, Holstein Kiel, 1.FC Nuremberg, FC Schalke 04, otherwise cf. Gauliga East Prussia, Pomerania, Berlin-Brandenburg, Silesia, Saxony, Middle, Nordmark, Lower Saxony, Westphalia, Lower Rhine, Middle Rhine, Hesse, Southwest, Baden, Württemberg, Bavaria 

Evaluation:

Spoiler

You are Welly: Please report to the Bilge to be locked in it forever.

-1 Thin out, Kipper.
0-1 Dabtoe (Seaman)
2-3 Jack me Tickler (Seaman who knows something)
4-5 Chuff & Puff (Petty Officer)
6-7 Buffer (Warrant Officer)
8-9 Brass Hat (Officer)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moin! Wo geidet ji? Public service stuff for KM players. (And maybe the BCS writers?) In the video below you get teasered the actual german probably most of the sailors in the KM speak in 1939, because back then local variations of german were already in decline, but much, much more common than today. To me it is kind of a second language and the easiest to understand variation outside of my own native one (which I also speak only in big fractures and not completely fluent). But it helps me a lot in de noorder Nederlande, Overijssel dat Eck, un gifft mi ook dumm Gaffe in de suider Nederlande, wo Zeeland.