Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 74: Mail

Käpt'n Korky

2 minutes ago, Wellington99 said:

Can I keelhaul the obvious Fascist traitor that wrote that letter of lies about Hood? 

Cause imma keelhaul him

Hey now, he said he loves Hood. She just needs someone to remind her that she's not invincible.

22 minutes ago, Wellington99 said:

Prepares to keelhaul Arb

17 minutes ago, RockyArby said:

No "Lend-Lease for you! *in the soup nazi tone from Seinfeld*

*eats one of the popped corns that came with the mail* 

1531964552.jpg.16fb9ce62eec4d2d4cda9302504aa3a4.jpg
*reaches for his pen and ponders his words while enjoying the show*

Responding more or less in order. 

Hiryū-san's "apology" sounds brilliant, but I simply would have to leave the room. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. All the discipline and bearing in the world wouldn't help me there and I was on a bloody funeral detail.

The letter from U-1, allegedly from beyond the grave, is a fascinating one. I hope we get the chance to investigate U-1 more with U-29. In the meantime I hope to answer her charge in style. If the U-boats are half as interesting as 29 it'll be more than a worthy task to bring each awakened one into my command

Writing back to the Captains support function...

Dear Madam,

Would you honestly say you would risk speaking in the company of overly excited Walkuren? A wise man keeps his mouth shut in situations that don't demand speech.

Besides, letting Mahan field them was funny.

Yours most sincerely,

Captain T.H .

INPF Task Force 7, Commanding

1 hour ago, Wellington99 said:

Can I keelhaul the obvious Fascist traitor that wrote that letter of lies about Hood? 

Cause imma keelhaul him

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

The second Italian mystery Belle is going to adore me, I've read every book on her list besides the one on women's rights. That said, thanks to the benefit of time travel, I'm sure she'll find my opinions on the rights of humans as a species, and equality of the same quite palatable without my reading Ms Wolltstonecraft's book.

Finally, any ideas on the popcorn? Ad Astra Per Aspera is "Through hardship to the stars" as I recall, and I've never heard of it used as a motto by any warship, though google could sort that out.

Popcorn, it brought the shadow of a memory to my mind when I read it but I was unsure if that was only because Korky was asking how people took their popcorn in the forums. The motto is the State motto of Kansas but USS Kansas had long been decom-ed. I'll keep looking. Houston's interview has a snippet of a redacted Japanese belle who installed a pop corn machine in her quarters but why the latin motto then?

If the Morganas are aliens I swear I'll storm out like I did at the end of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Please dear God, BCS, don't go with that old cliche! :-(

1 minute ago, DrYuriMom said:

If the Morganas are aliens I swear I'll storm out like I did at the end of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Please dear God, BCS, don't go with that old cliche! :-(

What brought this on?

1 hour ago, Wellington99 said:

Cause imma keelhaul him

Sounds like you and Hood will get along swimmingly.

And by swimmingly, I mean you'll be swimming to shore. :P 

Don't worry, she's not unique.  I mean, everybody said RMS Titanic was unsinkable and you know where she's been since her maiden voyage.

Popcorn is a regular occurrence in these forums (especially the votes), so she could be sending some for any number of reasons: because some of the Belles enjoy reading our craziness.  Or maybe as an advanced warning that popcorn-worthy entertainment lunacy is on the horizon.  Or maybe she's being polite and wants to share.

2 minutes ago, DrYuriMom said:

1 minute ago, RockyArby said:

What brought this on?

2 minutes ago, DrYuriMom said:

Ad Astra per Aspera

And here I thought you were going ballistic over the unexplained note found in U-1.

I loved the letters.  Nagato is wonderful and to hear that her party was successful warms my heart.  I have to agree with Twoheavens, though.  My poker face is not nearly good enough.  Hiryu is too pure.

I loved the poor hood sailor's letter, and the U-boots were fantastic.  I really hope it was U-1 who wrote that because that opens up all sorts of fun possibilities.  

Those italian sisters piqued my interest as well, and I think I'd love both of them.  So far the Italians have been done really well by the crew, and I can't wait to meet these sisters.

2 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

I loved the letters.  Nagato is wonderful and to hear that her party was successful warms my heart.  I have to agree with Twoheavens, though.  My poker face is not nearly good enough.  Hiryu is too pure.

Pure? I dunno about that. I think she knows exactly what she's saying. There's a school of sarcasm/shaming that involves being incredibly polite and well mannered, I considered Hiryu's "apology" for the damage to the golf ball to be very much be part of that. 

Usually it's translated as "through adversity to the stars" but yeah. And forget people, I singlehandedly threw the conversation into the alien ditch. Oops. :rolleyes:

Pretext: This is not “Korkys lore”. It’s a artificial scene in which he is a normal captain within the INPF and free to write as he likes, without fear of censorship and with certainty his letters will reach it’s destinations.

Korky sits at his desk in his chamber, Quinze Ètudes de Virtuosité plays from the Grammofon and a tin of popcorn, a bread with some gouda cheese and a simple cup with his destroyers name and a fitting teapot rest on the desk. Korky grabs his pen and ponders his words.
---

Letter the first, signature paper*, handwritten with ink, moderate handwriting in deutscher Normalschrift**:

Sehr geehrte U-29,

thank you for finding this mystery and the letter of probably the SM U 1.

I remember seeing her in Eckernförde “alive and well” when I travelled there during my early navy years. I wonder what she means, when she writes to have haunted the waters of the atlantic? Wasn’t she just in german waters and for training?

I thank you for sending me her letter and would be happy if I could maybe join you in the study of the other documents and the search for answers. 

Take care and good fortune.

Mit besten Wünschen,
Kpt. Korky

P.S.: I’m not capable of reading Sütterlinkurrent, but don’t worry my KaLeu does.

Korky folds the letter into a pure white official cuvert of his ship, and puts his sign on it.

Letter the second, signature paper, handwritten in ink, moderate handwriting in deutscher Normalschrift:
Verehrte U 1,

your words reached me. I’m not a U-Bootkapitän in particular, but I will do my very best to fulfill your wish for every U-Walküre I will meet. And I will always order a drink for you whenever I’m in the Admiralspalast.

Hochachtungsvoll,
KKpt. M. Korky, Offiziersabsolventenjahrgang 1918

P.S.: All the U-Boot officers who learned from you still tell the story of you and the Kaiser’s München. A real good story.
Korky folds the letter and puts it in a neutral cuvert.

Letter the third, signature paper, handwritten in ink, moderate handwriting but with serious effort to make it look better in deutscher Normalschrift:
Sehr geehrte Nagato-san,

to read from you is a real delight. To read your party was such a success is really reassuring. I’m glad I could be of any assistance to you. 

It’s good your fleet came together and found a common spirit. And also a forum to solve conflicts. A flagship should provide such opportunities on a regular basis in my opinion. If you need further assistance please don’t hesitate to ask.

With best regards,
Kpt. Korky

Korky folds the letter into a pure white official cuvert of his ship, and puts his sign on it.

He then finishes his bread and refills his cup of tea, before he puts his typewriter on the table.

Letter the fourth, signature paper, typed:

Dear Mrs. and Mr. Lambeth,
dear ICSC,

thank you very much for your support and the basket. I enjoyed the treats together with my crewmen and especially the chips and pies were a great success. On behalf of Oberbootsmann Müller I shall ask you to keep sending more apple pies. Whoever made it has gained our turret Anton gunners as her or his personal fanclub. I enjoyed it as well, of course.

But as a captain I have to ask you to keep those baskets a bit limited. We have good rations and our Smutje will take it personal if he gets too many days off and the crew starts praising the ICSC food too much over his. But once in a while they are very, very welcome.
Your moral support also boosts morale onboard since it’s a sign that at least some people really appreciate the dangerous task we fulfill everyday. 

Best regards,
Kpt. Korky, INPF

P.S.: If I get my hands on a recording device I send you proof.
P.P.S.: Do you have any connection to the Lambeth palace?
Korky signs and folds the letter and puts it in a regular cuvert, stating his ship as originator.
He then sips on his tea and tries another popped corn. “Who sends popcorn in a tin?” he wonders, before continuing.

Letter the fifth, normal paper, typed (all letters have this setup now until stated otherwise):
Mon chère Algerie,

thank you for that tea package. I will enjoy it, I’m sure.

When I see Mahan again, I will remind her of more important duty than to bother you with letters.

Best regards,
Kpt. Korky

Korky signs and folds the letter and puts it in a regular cuvert, stating his ship as originator.

Letter the sixth:
Dear lady Hood,

encased you will find a letter from seemingly one of your crew. I trust you with dealing responsibly with this criticism. No one is free of failures.
Why it was sent to me is a mystery, since I’m not your captain. 

Regards,
Kpt. Korky, Kriegsmarinecontingent of the INPF
Korky signs and folds the letter and puts it in a regular cuvert, stating his ship as originator, together with the letter from Sailor X.

Letter the seventh:
Dear Italian sisters,

it’s nice to know you already seek me out, even if we haven’t met yet.
I’m sure I will soon visit Italy since the INPF-Kriegsmarinecontingent is very likely to be around our southern ally if requested. At least one of you will enjoy my company, I’m sure.

I also look forward to the list of questions. But about the books I have to say I won’t be able read all of them. I'm bound by law after all.

Regards,
Kpt. Korky, Kriegsmarinecontingent of the INPF
Korky signs and folds the letter and puts it in a regular cuvert, stating his ship as originator. He addresses it to the Regia Marina command within the INPF.

Letter the eighth:
Voykov,

thank you for your letter. We will save this world or die trying. Because no one else can.

Regards,
Kpt. Korky

Korky binds all the letters into a pile with a string. He then puts away the typewriter and starts a last one.

Letter the ninth, moderately handwritten in deutscher Normalschrift on normal paper:
Dear HMS Rawalpindi,

thank you for your faithful service, both as a battleship and mailship for the INPF.
I entrust you with my answerletters, because I’m sure you will deliver them safely. Keeping communications open within the fleet like this is a very important task and I’m glad you are in charge of it.

Best regards,
Kpt. Korky
Korky only folds the letter and writes “TO HMS RAWALPINDI” on the upper side before putting it atop the pile.

He then finishes the popcorn and the tea and mumbles: “No really who would put popcorn in a tin? Our host of the interviews?” He then takes the necessary measures to give Pindi the package.

**The end**

Deutschstunde!!

Spoiler

*The signature is pre-printed in Fraktur and states the name of the ship, the name and rank of Korky written over the faint crest of the ship.

** “Sütterlin” usually means the german Kurrentwriting developed by Mr. Sütterlin, but he also developed what later (in 1941) was mandatory in schools as german “Normalschrift”. But since “german latin Sütterlinschrift” is confusing I refer already in 1939 to it as “deutsche Normalschrift”. It’s the handwriting kids learn to this day in school. The “Sütterlin” is dead and was even in it’s best days less common.

What is “Alte Deutsche Schrift” supposed to be?
Fraktur? Kanzleischrift? Rotunda? Pre Sütterlin Kurrent? In Germany a font named “Alte Deutsche Schrift” is unknown. When saying "Alte Deutsche Schrift", Pindi can’t or simply doesn’t specify, which one she means? So I guess she uses „deutsche“ as an adjective? Then "deutsche" should start with a small letter, but it’s debatetable since she’s a british ship and you maybe write fonts fully capitalized?

You missed a R on the end of “geehrte”. The form of address you use is male, so the correct form is “Sehr geehrter”. 

Now I really wonder why the popcorn is in a tin. Or is it me misunderstanding something?

Also I wonder why U 1 mentions Friedrichstraße in particular, when talking about the lack of friendship in Berlin….. as Korky hints, there is plenty of fun to have on it. And for government buildings…. The only I could find is the Labour Agency of Berlin (which is still used as such today, even the eagle on the roof only lost it’s swastika).
But I also don’t get her atlantic reference….. and the current U 1 of 1938/1939 shares the same fate as it’s predecessor: Trainingship. 

All in all I really liked the Update very much. If the next one is as good, I’m satisfied with the new update format.

Archived