Black Chicken Studios Forums

Rhialto's Marvelous Writings

Rhialto

Pelia’s Farewell After Zoe’s Farewell

@Legate of Mineta: This adventure's spoilertags worked out almost exactly correctly (excepting how the male/female responses to the question about dating go) - for some strange reason! Since it is extremely similar to my previous story "Pelia's Farewell" (but is meant to be a substitute), it may guide the Team in implementing the adventure Pelia's Farewell.

And feedback from all is welcome.

Notes:

This adventure is meant to trigger on the PC’s last day at the Academagia after the farewell scene with Zoe Melis. The PC must have completed the Y1 adventure “The Clockmaker’s Daughter”.

Text:

[If PC has Love for Zoe Melis]

Soon after Zoe has left you, you have resumed your preparing to leave your bedroom in the Academagia’s Morvidus College for the last time as a First Year student when you hear a brisk knocking at the door. Wondering whether Zoe, perhaps inspired by the help that you gave to her,  has decided to return to you in order to say farewell to you in a way that reflects the deep relationship that has grown between you and her, you make a movement towards the door. Before you can open the door, however, it opens on its own, and you see behind itS

“I am so glad, [PCFirstName], that I was able to have my meeting with Lisle today when I did. I was not wanting to get in any other student’s way, so was planning to leave the Academagia today without seeing you, but then your very special dear friend” – and at this point Pelia’s voice becomes mockingly sharp – “met me on my way into the Academagia and, after learning who I was, told me about her wonderfully profitable relationship with you and asked whether I had any moneymaking plans that she could join in with me. She also told me, so very casually, that she would hate to get in the way of any plans that I might have in meeting with you. Zoe,” Pelia hisses, “is transparent in her desires and translucent in her skin – but she can be useful for me, even though she would not buy a pocket watch in order to better manage her time.”

Then Pelia pauses and her face flushes. “I really need to keep things separate. You do not need to hear about the legal issues that are snipping my sanity. And I will handle them on my own.”

“Legal issues? Are people angry about your gold creation or something?” Your shock must be manifesting in your voice, because Pelia gives a slight smirk before replying.

“I wish that that were my only problem! No, my issues are more boring and more expensive. My father’s estate is very valuable, see, and my age is, shall we say, legally controversial. Three extra years of being a minor can allow unscrupulous people a lot more time to exploit me in various ways. Lisle, wonderful as she is, has told me about some basic legal solutions, and I will try to get a lawyer to handle my case reasonably.”

Then, Pelia shrugs. “I don’t want to be turning this into another summary of my legal woes. I am Pelia the Alchemist, not Pelia the Heiress, Pelia the Ambiguously Aged, or” – and here Pelia’s face contorts in anger – “Pelia the Easily Exploited Potential Victim.”

Then, Pelia calms down. “Plus, I came here to thank you for becoming my friend and helping me and stuff, and that would be rather undermined if I were to get all upset about the problems that I have discovered since you helped me to enter Mineta again.”

“If I weren’t so close to leaving this room for the summer, Pelia, I would invite you to make yourself at home for a while here, but the room is quite chaotic for anyone right now. Even my Familiar is elsewhere while I prepare for leaving.”

“Honestly, given a choice between my shop and your room, I know where I would prefer to be,” Pelia drawls. “So, I will just manifest my friendship in this doorway and not beyond it. But please, spare me your efforts at revision or brewing. I can do better magic when half asleep, and this doorway is not a good place for me to teach you anything or correct your errors.”

Despite Pelia’s slightly caustic words and tone of voice, you know that she really is a good friend to you, and that she can be very helpful to you if you were to seek her help.

[If PC has no Love but Affection for Zoe Melis]

Soon after Zoe has left you, you have resumed your preparing to leave your bedroom in the Academagia’s Morvidus College for the last time as a First Year student when you hear a brisk knocking at the door. Wondering whether Zoe, perhaps inspired by the help that you gave to her, has decided to return to you in order to say farewell to you in a way that reflects the relationship that has grown between you and her, you make a movement towards the door. Before you can open the door, however, it opens on its own, and you see behind it Pelia. She looks rather stressed, but when she sees that you can see her, she tries to twist her face into a smug smile.

“I am so glad, [PCFirstName], that I was able to have my meeting with Lisle today when I did. I was not wanting to get in any other student’s way, so was planning to leave the Academagia today without seeing you, but then your dear friend” – and at this point Pelia’s voice becomes mockingly sharp – “met me on my way into the Academagia and, after learning who I was, told me about her wonderfully profitable relationship with you and asked whether I had any moneymaking plans that she could join in with me. She also told me, so very casually, that she would hate to get in the way of any plans that I might have in meeting with you. Zoe,” Pelia hisses, “is transparent in her desires and translucent in her skin – but she can be useful for me, even though she would not buy a pocket watch in order to better manage her time.”

Then Pelia pauses and her face flushes. “I really need to keep things separate. You do not need to hear about the legal issues that are snipping my sanity. And I will handle them on my own.”

“Legal issues? Are people angry about your gold creation or something?” Your shock must be manifesting in your voice, because Pelia gives a slight smirk before replying.

“I wish that that were my only problem! No, my issues are more boring and more expensive. My father’s estate is very valuable, see, and my age is, shall we say, legally controversial. Three extra years of being a minor can allow unscrupulous people a lot more time to exploit me in various ways. Lisle, wonderful as she is, has told me about some basic legal solutions, and I will try to get a lawyer to handle my case reasonably.”

Then, Pelia shrugs. “I don’t want to be turning this into another summary of my legal woes. I am Pelia the Alchemist, not Pelia the Heiress, Pelia the Ambiguously Aged, or” – and here Pelia’s face contorts in anger – “Pelia the Easily Exploited Potential Victim.”

Then, Pelia calms down. “Plus, I came here to thank you for becoming my friend and helping me and stuff, and that would be rather undermined if I were to get all upset about the problems that I have discovered since you helped me to enter Mineta again.”

“If I weren’t so close to leaving this room for the summer, Pelia, I would invite you to make yourself at home for a while here, but the room is quite chaotic for anyone right now. Even my Familiar is elsewhere while I prepare for leaving.”

“Honestly, given a choice between my shop and your room, I know where I would prefer to be,” Pelia drawls. “So, I will just manifest my friendship in this doorway and not beyond it. But please, spare me your efforts at revision or brewing. I can do better magic when half asleep, and this doorway is not a good place for me to teach you anything or correct your errors.”

Despite Pelia’s slightly caustic words and tone of voice, you know that she really is a good friend to you, and that she can be very helpful to you if you were to seek her help.

[If PC has neither Love nor Affection for Zoe Melis]

[If PC has memory Zoe Spurned for Gates]

When Zoe has left you, you are left reeling in your mind and trembling in your body. Was it really worth sacrificing your relationship with Zoe for a chance to go to a nightmarish world in order to study magic whose practise would get you hanged if you were to be caught? You are struggling to deal with these thoughts when you hear a brisk knocking at the door. Wondering whether Zoe, perhaps inspired by the help that you gave to her, has decided to return to you in order to challenge you to a duel, you make a movement towards the door. Before you can open the door, however, it opens on its own, and you see behind it Pelia. She looks rather stressed, but when she sees that you can see her, she tries to twist her face into a smug smile.

“I am so glad, [PCFirstName], that I was able to have my meeting with Lisle today when I did. I was not wanting to get in any other student’s way, so was planning to leave the Academagia today without seeing you, but then your very special dear friend” – and at this point Pelia’s voice becomes mockingly sharp – “met me on my way into the Academagia and, after learning who I was, told me about her wonderfully profitable relationship with you and asked whether I had any moneymaking plans that she could join in with me. She also told me, so very casually, that she would hate to get in the way of any plans that I might have in meeting with you. Zoe,” Pelia hisses, “is transparent in her desires and translucent in her skin – but she can be useful for me, even though she would not buy a pocket watch in order to better manage her time.”

Then Pelia pauses and her face flushes. “You do not need to hear about the legal issues that are snipping my sanity, which I will handle on my own. What happened between you and Zoe? As I was coming to meet you, I came upon Zoe, sobbing, who told me that you are a good business partner but terrible at everything else.”

“Zoe and I…cannot agree about how close we should be in our circumstances. Being precise, I did not feel ready for what she…,” you say slowly and cautiously to Pelia, who nods and sighs and your voice trails off.

“I figured. Puberty can be hard, I read, and will be hard for me, even without my legal issues. At least I try to keep my need for money separate from my friends such as you and Lisle.”

[If PC has no memory Zoe Spurned for Gates]

Soon after Zoe has left you, you have resumed your preparing to leave your bedroom in the Academagia’s Morvidus College for the last time as a First Year student when you hear a brisk knocking at the door. Wondering whether Zoe, perhaps inspired by the help that you gave to her,  has decided to return to you in order to say farewell to you in a way that reflects the deep relationship that has grown between you and her, you make a movement towards the door. Before you can open the door, however, it opens on its own, and you see behind it Pelia. She looks rather stressed, but when she sees that you can see her, she tries to twist her face into a smug smile.

“I am so glad, [PCFirstName], that I was able to have my meeting with Lisle today when I did. I was not wanting to get in any other student’s way, so was planning to leave the Academagia today without seeing you, but then your friend” – and at this point Pelia’s voice becomes mockingly sharp – “met me on my way into the Academagia and, after learning who I was, told me about her wonderfully profitable relationship with you and asked whether I had any moneymaking plans that she could join in with me. She also told me, so very casually, that she would hate to get in the way of any plans that I might have in meeting with you. Zoe,” Pelia hisses, “is transparent in her desires and translucent in her skin – but she can be useful for me, even though she would not buy a pocket watch in order to better manage her time.”

Choices:

“Pelia, could you explain to me your life-creation abilities?”

[If PC is student at the Schohanwicht School]

Pelia groans aloud, and says, in a voice that you are not sure is angry, “Did Lisle enter her role as Professor Aventyrare in order to test me through you?”

“No,” you assure Pelia. “Aventyrare has tested me in other ways but not in that way. Why would she do such a thing?”

“When I told Lisle that I could create life, she was terrifying in her mixture of anger and sorrow. She went to a supply cupboard, got some junk that her classes use for revision, and smashed it right before my eyes. Then she told me, with tears in her eyes, that worse things would befall me if I were to mention such a skill again. So, I will not tell you anything more.”

You can see from her eyes that Pelia is truly frightened by recounting what she had to recount, and you do not want to test her – or Professor Aventyrare – by asking her about it again. But you also are driven to look at Pelia with such fear in your eyes that she, sighing, murmurs to you, “Relax, [PCFirstName]. Lisle was only so upset with me because I was talking about a practise that would get me swinging from a gallows if caught. In all other times she has been a wonderful friend to me – so she is not a secretly cruel professor.”

But you are unable to compose yourself. Falling to the ground, you find yourself wracked by sobs and unable to crouch or sit.

Pelia, making a genuinely compassionate sigh, moves towards you and holds your hand.

“Easy, easy. I will not harm you. You are safe here.”

When you regain control of your mind and stand before Pelia again, you see that she is looking at you with genuine concern and sympathy.

“Is…what we were talking about the reason why you broke your relationship with Zoe?”

Before you can move your head, Pelia seizes your chin and says, “Say nothing one way or another to me about this. But I know how terrible it is to have secrets, and I can help you.”

You gasp in surprise, and Pelia smirks. “If there were no laws about magic, we might both be so much less stressed, wouldn’t we? But wait.”

Pelia reaches into one of her pockets and produces for you a little book, bound in red leather, which she hands to you.

“This is an alchemical cipher that my father taught to me. Very useful for discussing secretive things. I would hate to lose you like I lost my father, so you should use this book in order to keep in touch with me. Do not discuss life-creation with me, though, even through such secret notes.”

Then, seeing your horrified face, Pelia relents. “Look. Maybe we can talk about it at certain times in certain places. If I could, I would! But…I need to think about many issues right now, and talking about things that could have us both killed is not the stuff that will help me or you right now.” She pauses, then says, “You would be surprised how many people discuss complicated and emotionally fraught things when trying to purchase clocks from me. I guess that the same factors that caused them to need to keep better track of time often cause people to suffer.”

You smile gratefully at Pelia, and think that her willingness to help you during your vulnerability is the mark of an excellent friend.

Item:

Pelia’s Code Book:

Slot: Book

Description:

This book is a systemic treatise in alchemists’ cryptographies, which includes a basic cipher through which alchemists can communicate to each other about all things but especially alchemy. The book’s title page says that it is copy 57 of out of 60 copies that were printed. A pen has written, in red ink and a clear hand, that Søren purchased copies 57 and 58, and gave copy 57 to his dear daughter Pelia while keeping copy 58 for his use.

Abilities When Equipped:

Study Cryptography from Pelia's Code Book:

Description:

By reading this book and focussing upon its contents, you get a very great understanding of cryptography.

Benefit:

+ 1 research level in Cryptography, + 1 skill Level in Cryptography

Write Coded Message for Pelia:

Description:

When you apply this book’s instructions, it is fairly easy for you to write encrypted messages in an alchemist’s style for Pelia, to which she, in her kindness, replies with genuine alchemical wisdom.

Benefit:

+ 1 skill step cryptography, + 1 skill step innuendo, + 1 skill step in a random brewing subskill

[+ 5 stress, + 1 skill step Intimidation, + 1 skill step Romance, add item Pelia’s Code Book, add memory Pelia Suspects, choose other option]

Pelia groans aloud, and says, in a voice that you are not sure is angry, “Did Lisle enter her role as Professor Aventyrare in order to test me through you?”

“No,” you assure Pelia. “Aventyrare has tested me in other ways but not in that way. Why would she do such a thing?”

“When I told Lisle that I could create life, she was terrifying in her mixture of anger and sorrow. She went to a supply cupboard, got some junk that her classes use for revision, and smashed it right before my eyes. Then she told me, with tears in her eyes, that worse things would befall me if I were to mention such a skill again. So, I will not tell you anything more.”

You can see from her eyes that Pelia is truly frightened by recounting what she had to recount, and you do not want to test her – or Professor Aventyrare – by asking her about it again. But you also are driven to look at Pelia with such fear in your eyes that she, sighing, murmurs to you, “Relax, [PCFirstName]. Lisle was only so upset with me because I was talking about a practise that would get me swinging from a gallows if caught. In all other times she has been a wonderful friend to me – so she is not a secretly cruel professor.”

You sigh and try to compose yourself. Would all of your friends, including Zoe, turn against you in even worse ways than Professor Aventyrare turned against Pelia if they were to learn that you are studying Gates Magic? You do not want to find out. You must keep your studies secret for this reason, you suppose. [+ 2 stress, + 1 skill step Intimidation, + 1 skill step Serenity, choose other option]

[If PC is not student at the Schohanwicht School]

You can see from her eyes that Pelia is truly frightened by recounting what she had to recount, and you do not want to test her – or Professor Aventyrare – by asking her about it again. [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step Intimidation, choose other option]

[If PC has neither Love nor Affection for Zoe Melis and is Prodigy: On the Prowl] “Pelia, would you be interested in dating me?”

[If PC is Male]

[If PC will be spending the summer vacation in Mineta]

[If PC has memory Pelia Suspects]

Pelia begins to laugh as soon as the words are out of your lips, but then stops, apparently when she realizes that you are serious. Then she looks at you with a face that is, as best as you can determine, not unkind.

“You must think that this is just like one of those stories that…children learn, right? You rescued the heiress, and she will fall in love with you.” Pelia shakes her head. “Things are not simple for me. I have so much to worry about, in addition to leaving stasis, that my going all moon-eyed over any handsome man and cooing to him like a dove is really the last thing on my mind.”

Pelia’s eyes flash with triumph as she grins when your face falls in disappointment. “Wait! I have more to say!” she crows.

Bracing yourself for her harsh words, you feel your mood elevated when Pelia says the following, “That having been said, you are a handsome young man, and you have treated me very well, and I have a lot of stress in my life related to alchemy and revision – so if I were to happen to be out with you during this summer vacation, then I might find myself grudgingly having a good time. But only during vacations until you are in Third Year. Lisle has told me about the rules. Would this be possible for you?

“Yes,” you tell her, smiling.

Pelia smiles as well, and says, “Excellent. I just hope that you can manage your secrets better with me than with Zoe.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, add action Quasi-Date with Pelia, choose other option]

Quasi-Date with Pelia

Description:

Although Pelia is hardly a romantic girl who craves boys’ attention, and does not talk about dating you, she is willing to walk and talk with you as a relaxing alternative to managing her assets or worrying about her problems – but only as long as school is not in session for the year.

Benefits:

- 1 stress, + 1 skill step conversation, + 1 skill step relaxation

[If PC has no memory Pelia Suspects]

Pelia begins to laugh as soon as the words are out of your lips, but then stops, apparently when she realizes that you are serious. Then she looks at you with a face that is, as best as you can determine, not unkind.

“You must think that this is just like one of those stories that…children learn, right? You rescued the heiress, and she will fall in love with you.” Pelia shakes her head. “Things are not simple for me. I have so much to worry about, in addition to leaving stasis, that my going all moon-eyed over any handsome man and cooing to him like a dove is really the last thing on my mind.”

Pelia’s eyes flash with triumph as she grins when your face falls in disappointment. “Wait! I have more to say!” she crows.

Bracing yourself for her harsh words, you feel your mood elevated when Pelia says the following, “That having been said, you are a handsome young man, and you have treated me very well, and I have a lot of stress in my life related to alchemy and revision – so if I were to happen to be out with you during this summer vacation, then I might find myself grudgingly having a good time. But only during vacations until you are in Third Year. Lisle has told me about the rules. Would this be possible for you?

Pelia smiles as well, and says, “Excellent. I just hope that you can manage me better than you managed Zoe.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, add action Quasi-Date with Pelia, choose other option]

Quasi-Date with Pelia

Description:

Although Pelia is hardly a romantic girl who craves boys’ attention, and does not talk about dating you, she is willing to walk and talk with you as a relaxing alternative to managing her assets or worrying about her problems – but only as long as school is not in session for the year.

Benefits:

[If PC will not be spending the summer vacation in Mineta]

“No,” you tell her, frowning. “I will not be in Mineta this summer, unfortunately.”

Pelia smiles, though, and says, “Still, I can easily understand why you want to know about me in this way, especially given our mutual…stresses.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, choose other option]

“No,” you tell her, frowning. “I will not be in Mineta this summer, unfortunately.”

Pelia smiles, though, and says, “Still, I can easily understand why you want to know about me in this way. If you treat me in the way that got Zoe so upset, though…” Pelia scowls at you, and you feel a flutter of fear in your heart. Still, Pelia seems to have some association with Gates Magic, so maybe she would be a better partner than Zoe – who might sell you out for the money that she craves. [+ 2 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, choose other option]

Pelia smiles as well, and says, “Excellent.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, add action Quasi-Date with Pelia, choose other option]

Quasi-Date with Pelia

Description:

Benefits:

Pelia smiles, though, and says, “Still, I can easily understand why you want to know about me in this way.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, choose other option]

[If PC is Female]

“You must think that this is just like one of those stories that…children learn, right? You rescued the heiress, and she will fall in love with you.” Pelia shakes her head. “Things are not simple for me – or us. I have so much to worry about, in addition to leaving stasis, that my going all moon-eyed over any beautiful girl and cooing to her like a dove is really the last thing on my mind.”

Bracing yourself for her harsh words, you feel your mood elevated when Pelia says the following, “That having been said, you are a beautiful young woman, and you have treated me very well, and I have a lot of stress in my life related to alchemy and revision – so if I were to happen to be out with you during this summer vacation, then I might find myself grudgingly having a good time. But only during vacations until you are in Third Year. Lisle has told me about the rules. Would this be possible for you?

Pelia smiles as well, and says, “Excellent.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, add action Quasi-Date with Pelia, choose other option]

Quasi-Date with Pelia

Description:

Benefits:

“You must think that this is just like one of those stories that…children learn, right? You rescued the heiress, and she will fall in love with you.” Pelia shakes her head. “Things are not simple for me – or us. I have so much to worry about, in addition to leaving stasis, that my going all moon-eyed over any beautiful girl and cooing to her like a dove is really the last thing on my mind.”

Bracing yourself for her harsh words, you feel your mood elevated when Pelia says the following, “That having been said, you are a beautiful young woman, and you have treated me very well, and I have a lot of stress in my life related to alchemy and revision – so if I were to happen to be out with you during this summer vacation, then I might find myself grudgingly having a good time. But only during vacations until you are in Third Year. Lisle has told me about the rules. Would this be possible for you?

Pelia smiles, though, and says, “Still, I can easily understand why you want to know about me in this way. Most girls only like boys in the way that you are asking about.” [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step flirting, choose other option]

[If PC will be spending the summer vacation in Mineta]“Pelia, is there any way we could meet this summer?”

“Sure,” Pelia says with a grin. “It will be just like the school year for you with me. Lisle will be so happy! And we can help each other deal with our…stresses.” [Add action Hang Out with Pelia. Choose other option]

Hang Out with Pelia

Description:

Pelia is most happy when demonstrating her competence. For Pelia, of course, her average competence in brewing and revision magic is better than your best efforts, so watching and learning from her is very instructive.

Benefits:

+ 1 skill step random revision subskill, + 1 skill step random brew subskill

“Sure,” Pelia says with a grin. “It will be just like the school year for you with me. Lisle will be so happy!” [Add action Hang Out with Pelia. Choose other option]

Hang Out with Pelia

Description:

Pelia is most happy when demonstrating her competence. For Pelia, of course, her average competence in brewing and revision magic is better than your best efforts, so watching and learning from her is very instructive.

Benefits:

[If PC will not be spending the summer vacation in Mineta]“Pelia, would you like to stay in touch with me this summer?”

“Sure,” Pelia says with a grin. “Lisle will be so happy that I will be in touch with you even when you will be outside Mineta! And we can help each other deal with our…stresses.” [Add action Correspond with Pelia. Choose other option]

Correspond with Pelia

Description:

Pelia loves writing about her skills – and you are interested in her words because Pelia’s average competence in brewing and revision magic is better than your best efforts, so learning from her is very instructive.

Benefits:

“Sure,” Pelia says with a grin. “Lisle will be so happy that I will be in touch with you even when you will be outside Mineta!” [Add action Correspond with Pelia. Choose other option]

Correspond with Pelia

Description:

Pelia loves writing about her skills – and you are interested in her words because Pelia’s average competence in brewing and revision magic is better than your best efforts, so learning from her is very instructive.

Benefits:

“Farewell, Pelia. It was nice getting to know you.”

“Farewell, [PCFirstName]. Thanks for being such a great friend to me. We can get through our stresses together.” Pelia closes your door and walks away. [end event]

“Farewell, [PCFirstName]. Thanks for being such a great friend to me.” Smiling, Pelia closes your door and walks away. [end event]

Oriabel’s Farewell:

Feedback is welcome.

Notes:

So, I hope that this little piece can be the last farewell scene at the beginning of Y2 – the idea being that Oriabel is trying to engage in her great passion within the Academagia for as long as possible. In order to experience this scene (meant to trigger automatically) the PC must have either completed Oriabel Sidot’s Y1 adventure and have relationship > 1 with Oriabel Sidot or, if not having finished Oriabel Sidot’s Y1 adventure, have affection and/or love with Oriabel Sidot. This scene’s reward is meant to serve as a substitute for the main mechanic through which the player avoids relationship decays during the summer vacation.

Text

[if PC completed Oriabel Sidot’s Y1 adventure]

[if PC has neither love nor affection with Oriabel Sidot]

As you approach the Academagia’s Great Gate for the last time during your First Year, about to leave the Academagia as a magic-user with more training in magic than the average person, which will be very useful for your summer vacation, Oriabel Sidot rushes up to you, noteworthy to you not only by her red hair but also by the fact that she is carrying a still smoking and recently extinguished candle even though it is still daytime.

Oriabel’s words to you, which rush from her mouth in a rapid torrent, are the only thing, though, that distinguish her as Oriabel rather than as some other red-haired eccentric within the Academagia’s campus.

“[PCFullName], I’m so glad that I was able to find you. I though that it would be too bad if I were to miss an opportunity to find a ghost – without any help from you – in such a magically and historically rich place – especially when I did not have to worry about exams anymore. So I didn’t say farewell to you earlier, and my plans to write a letter for you to read were foiled by ghosts’ not showing up for me – even when I sought out dark places and stood with only this candle as light. But we can stay in touch over the summer, all right? I’ll be spending the summer with my father’s family in Girsan in Breuil, but my cousins are not such a distraction.”

Oriabel quickly slips into your hands a piece of paper. “These are instructions if you want to write to me this summer,” Oriabel says. You look at the paper and assure her by repeating them while looking at her that you have memorized them.

“Great. Um, may I have the paper back? A writing surface is useful for my packing.”

Almost before you nod your head in agreement, Oriabel takes the paper from you and rushes off, calling out as she does, “Sorry, but I need to go and pack!”

[if PC has affection but not love with Oriabel Sidot]

As you approach the Academagia’s Great Gate for the last time during your First Year, about to leave the Academagia as a magic-user with more training in magic than the average person, which will be very useful for your summer vacation, Oriabel Sidot rushes up to you, noteworthy to you not only by her red hair but also by the fact that she is carrying a still smoking and recently extinguished candle even though it is still daytime.

Oriabel’s words to you, which rush from her mouth in a rapid torrent, are the only thing, though, that distinguish her as Oriabel rather than as some other red-haired eccentric within the Academagia’s campus.

“[PCFullName], I’m so glad that I was able to find you. I though that it would be too bad if I were to miss an opportunity to find a ghost – without any help from you – in such a magically and historically rich place – especially when I did not have to worry about exams anymore. So I didn’t say farewell to you earlier, and my plans to write a letter for you to read were foiled by ghosts’ not showing up for me – even when I sought out dark places and stood with only this candle as light. But we can stay in touch over the summer, all right? I’ll be spending the summer with my father’s family in Girsan in Breuil, but my cousins are not such a distraction – not from you!”

Oriabel quickly slips into your hands a piece of paper. “These are instructions if you want to write to me this summer,” Oriabel says. You look at the paper and assure her by repeating them while looking at her that you have memorized them.

“Great. Um, may I have the paper back? A writing surface is useful for my packing.”

Almost before you nod your head in agreement, Oriabel takes the paper from you and rushes off, calling out as she does, “Sorry, but I need to go and pack!”

[if PC has love with Oriabel Sidot]

“[PCFullName], I’m so glad that I was able to find you. I though that it would be too bad if I were to miss an opportunity to find a ghost – without any help from you – in such a magically and historically rich place – especially when I did not have to worry about exams anymore. So I didn’t say farewell to you earlier, and my plans to write a letter for you to read were foiled by ghosts’ not showing up for me – even when I sought out dark places and stood with only this candle as light. But we can stay in touch over the summer, all right? I’ll be spending the summer with my father’s family in Girsan in Breuil, but my cousins are not such a distraction – not from you, my dear!”

Almost before you nod your head in agreement, Oriabel takes the paper from you and walks away, calling out as she does, “Sorry, [PCFirstName]! I wish that I could talk more with you about many things, but I need to go and pack! Save the conversation for our letters, all right?”

[if PC did not complete Oriabel Sidot’s Y1 adventure]

“[PCFullName], I’m so glad that I was able to find you. I though that it would be too bad if I were to miss an opportunity to find a ghost in such a magically and historically rich place – especially when I did not have to worry about exams anymore. So I didn’t say farewell to you earlier, and my plans to write a letter for you to read were foiled by ghosts’ not showing up for me – even when I sought out dark places and stood with only this candle as light. But we can stay in touch over the summer, all right? I’ll be spending the summer with my father’s family in Girsan in Breuil, but my cousins are not such a distraction – not from you!”

“[PCFullName], I’m so glad that I was able to find you. I though that it would be too bad if I were to miss an opportunity to find a ghost in such a magically and historically rich place – especially when I did not have to worry about exams anymore. So I didn’t say farewell to you earlier, and my plans to write a letter for you to read were foiled by ghosts’ not showing up for me – even when I sought out dark places and stood with only this candle as light. But we can stay in touch over the summer, all right? I’ll be spending the summer with my father’s family in Girsan in Breuil, but my cousins are not such a distraction – not from you, my dear!”

Almost before you nod your head in agreement, Oriabel takes the paper from you and walks away, calling out as she does, “Sorry, [PCFirstName]! I wish that I could talk more with you about many things, but I need to go and pack! Save the conversation for our letters, all right?”

[Only Choice] Look numbly at Oriabel as she leaves you.

[if PC is student at Schohanwicht School]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but you wonder how she would react if she were to learn that her efforts to find a ghost with you brought her into the presence not of two but of three gates mages. But then you sigh. Given that you are thinking about Oriabel, she would probably be most upset that you were not willing to use your gates magic in order to summon a ghost for her to meet.

You, not being so distracted by Oriabel’s interest in ghosts, are – to put it mildly – curious about the zombie-creating mages operating near the Academagia, and hope that your future efforts to help Oriabel with her interest in meeting ghosts may help you to come upon more people or things associated with gates magic.

But all of those thoughts must be set aside for now, you realize, in order to allow you to focus on properly leaving the Academagia for your summer vacation. [+ 1 skill step planning, + 1 skill step memorization, add action Write to Oriabel Sidot, + 1 stress, end event]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but you wonder how she would react if she were to learn that her efforts to find a ghost with you brought her into the presence not of two but of three gates mages. But then you sigh. Given that you are thinking about Oriabel, she would probably be most upset that you were not willing to use your gates magic in order to summon a ghost for her to meet – and would maybe use your status as a ghost summoner as a reason to date you.

You, not being so distracted by Oriabel’s interest in ghosts, are – to put it mildly – curious about the zombie-creating mages operating near the Academagia, and hope that your future efforts to help Oriabel with her interest in meeting ghosts may help you to come upon more people or things associated with gates magic.

But all of those thoughts must be set aside for now, you realize, in order to allow you to focus on properly leaving the Academagia for your summer vacation. [+ 1 skill step planning, + 1 skill step memorization, add action Write to Oriabel Sidot, + 1 stress, end event]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but you wonder how she would react if she were to learn that her efforts to find a ghost with you brought her into the presence not of two but of three gates mages. But then you sigh. Given that you are thinking about Oriabel, she would probably be most upset that you were not willing to use your gates magic in order to summon a ghost for her to meet – and would maybe use your status as a ghost summoner as a reason to date you. Certainly, you can think of many less pleasant things – which are considerably more cliched and boring – to do with Oriabel Sidot at night under candles’ lights.

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but you wonder how she would react if she were to learn that her efforts to find a ghost with you brought her into the presence not of two but of three gates mages. But then you sigh. Given that you are thinking about Oriabel, she would probably be most upset that you were not willing to use your gates magic in order to summon a ghost for her to meet – and would maybe use your status as a ghost summoner as a reason to date you.

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but you wonder how she would react if she were to learn that her efforts to find a ghost with you brought her into the presence not of two but of three gates mages. But then you sigh. Given that you are thinking about Oriabel, she would probably be most upset that you were not willing to use your gates magic in order to summon a ghost for her to meet – and would maybe use your status as a ghost summoner as a reason to date you. Certainly, you can think of many less pleasant things – which are considerably more cliched and boring – to do with Oriabel Sidot at night under candles’ lights.

[if PC is not student at Schohanwicht School]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but Oriabel seems to you to be a harmless student – even though, judging by the adventure that she got you tangled up in, her interests may lead her repeatedly into danger.

But all of those thoughts must be set aside for now, you realize, in order to allow you to focus on properly leaving the Academagia for your summer vacation. [+ 1 skill step planning, + 1 skill step memorization, add action Write to Oriabel Sidot, end event]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but Oriabel seems to you to be a harmless student whom you are pleased to have a special friendship with – even though, judging by the adventure that she got you tangled up in, her interests may lead her repeatedly into danger.

But all of those thoughts must be set aside for now, you realize, in order to allow you to focus on properly leaving the Academagia for your summer vacation. [+ 1 skill step planning, + 1 skill step memorization, add action Write to Oriabel Sidot, end event]

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but Oriabel seems to you to be a harmless student whom you are pleased to have a very close and very dear relationship with – even though, judging by the adventure that she got you tangled up in, her interests may lead her repeatedly into danger.

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but Oriabel seems to you to be a harmless student whom you are pleased to have a special friendship withplace.

As Oriabel rushes away from you, you find yourself thinking about her. Certainly, she has very strange interests that can be dangerous and may be illegal, but Oriabel seems to you to be a harmless student whom you are pleased to have a very close and very dear relationship with.

Reward:

Write to Oriabel Sidot

Description:

Writing to Oriabel Sidot is a useful way to keep in touch with her in Girsan in Breuil over the summer, while informing you about some of her interests.

Benefits:

+ 1 skill step archaeology, + 1 skill step perception

Sima’s Gift:

feedback is welcome.

Notes:

This event has very exacting requirements. The PC must have, at minimum, Affection with Sima Venesico, the memory Sima Suspects, and a birthday during the school year. The event will trigger automatically on the PC’s birthday Ideally, it should be the first event of the day, if possible.

Text:

[If PC is Prodigy: On the Prowl]

You are roused from a sound sleep to a darkened bedroom by a knocking at your door. After listening for a few seconds to the rappings, you realize that they are not decreasing in volume or intensity – rather as if the knocker is not outside your bedroom by accident but is trying to get your attention specifically.

Stumbling from your bed, you walk to the door, telling the knocker as you do, “I’m on my way.”

You hope that you are not being polite to a prankster, but figure that politeness is better than alternatives. What if the knocker were a friend or a member of the Academagia’s staff or a professor or…

Well, you do not want to waste your time with more speculation about whom you might anger whom you should not want to anger – especially when you open the door and see on the other of the door, with her hand still raised, a black haired girl whom you vaguely recognize, despite the corridor’s darkness. What was her name again?

“Roxan at your service. The dombi told me to wish you a happy birthday and give to you what is in this box that she lended to me. Oh, how I, a gṛhapati’s daughter, have fallen in Mineta, whence I was supposed to leave rich!”

Roxan looks at you with intense eyes as she reaches, with the hand that she was using to knock upon your bedroom’s door, to a box that the is cradling with the other arm. When she presses a button upon the box’s side, the upper portion of the box springs open just far enough to reveal to you what is inside the box while hiding it from Roxan.

You are hesitating about whether to take the book that has been exposed to your eyes when the book leaps forward and you are forced to reach out and catch it before it falls.

“Enjoy the very mysterious – and perhaps dangerous – thing that you got,” Roxan says, smirking. “Luckily for you, its mysteriousness makes me want no tip from you.”

With those cynical words, she closes the box and then closes the door, forcing you to walk backwards in order to avoid being struck - again.

Not wanting to deal with a thief-turned-messenger who claims to be a gṛhapati’s daughter – whatever that is – you move to your bedroom’s desk, illuminate the room, and look at the book that you received.

It is bound in dark red leather, and bears upon its cover the title “A True Account of the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages”.

Driven by a mixture of fear and curiosity, you open the book. On the book’s inside cover, opposite the book’s title page, you recognize Sima’s elegant yet slightly chaotic handwriting. Her message reads:

“Happy Birthday, [PC FirstName]! I thought that this book might help you with some of your stress, although the authorities disagree with the idea that any person should be able to own this book. Feel free to destroy the book if you disagree with my thoughts.”

Then, beneath it, Sima wrote, in a different ink upon a surface that, you see, has moisture upon it,

“There are so many things that I want to tell you about – but life is so dangerous for me on many levels. When I am with my family, I struggle to remember whom to hate, how much, and how overtly. Still, we have become dear friends. I thank you and will try to support you – just as you support me.”

Then, beneath that, Sima has written the date and a poem.

“Knowledge about Na, where slaves are openly made and sold

makes loyalty to me seem strange when gained through no gold.

But experience through danger has created true joy

For us, who, helping each other, our false faces employ.”

You are not sure whether to be terrified by Sima’s confidence in guessing – correctly – that you are studying gates magic based solely upon your reaction to Roxan’s calling you a summoner or impressed by her ability to give to you what you think is her most explicit discussion about her great interest in mastery magic and related topics and your helpfulness to her and your study of gates magic – all without explicitly mentioning anything illegal.

Still, you are glad that Sima is your very close friend rather than not interested in you – or, worse yet, your enemy. You know few things with as much certainty as the fact that you are very much anticipating being able to date her next year.

But then you frown. What should you do with the book that she gave to you?

[If PC is not Prodigy: On the Prowl]

You are roused from a sound sleep to a darkened bedroom by a knocking at your door. After listening for a few seconds to the rappings, you realize that they are not decreasing in volume or intensity – rather as if the knocker is not outside your bedroom by accident but is trying to get your attention specifically.

Stumbling from your bed, you walk to the door, telling the knocker as you do, “I’m on my way.”

You hope that you are not being polite to a prankster, but figure that politeness is better than alternatives. What if the knocker were a friend or a member of the Academagia’s staff or a professor or…

Well, you do not want to waste your time with more speculation about whom you might anger whom you should not want to anger – especially when you open the door and see on the other of the door, with her hand still raised, a black haired girl whom you vaguely recognize, despite the corridor’s darkness. What was her name again?

“Roxan at your service. The dombi told me to wish you a happy birthday and give to you what is in this box that she lended to me. Oh, how I, a gṛhapati’s daughter, have fallen in Mineta, whence I was supposed to leave rich!”

Roxan looks at you with intense eyes as she reaches, with the hand that she was using to knock upon your bedroom’s door, to a box that the is cradling with the other arm. When she presses a button upon the box’s side, the upper portion of the box springs open just far enough to reveal to you what is inside the box while hiding it from Roxan.

You are hesitating about whether to take the book that has been exposed to your eyes when the book leaps forward and you are forced to reach out and catch it before it falls.

“Enjoy the very mysterious – and perhaps dangerous – thing that you got,” Roxan says, smirking. “Luckily for you, its mysteriousness makes me want no tip from you.”

With those cynical words, she closes the box and then closes the door, forcing you to walk backwards in order to avoid being struck - again.

Not wanting to deal with a thief-turned-messenger who claims to be a gṛhapati’s daughter – whatever that is – you move to your bedroom’s desk, illuminate the room, and look at the book that you received.

It is bound in dark red leather, and bears upon its cover the title “A True Account of the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages”.

Driven by a mixture of fear and curiosity, you open the book. On the book’s inside cover, opposite the book’s title page, you recognize Sima’s elegant yet slightly chaotic handwriting. Her message reads:

“Happy Birthday, [PC FirstName]! I thought that this book might help you with some of your stress, although the authorities disagree with the idea that any person should be able to own this book. Feel free to destroy the book if you disagree with my thoughts.”

Then, beneath it, Sima wrote, in a different ink upon a surface that, you see, has moisture upon it,

“There are so many things that I want to tell you about – but life is so dangerous for me on many levels. When I am with my family, I struggle to remember whom to hate, how much, and how overtly. Still, we have become dear friends. I thank you and will try to support you – just as you support me.”

Then, beneath that, Sima has written the date and a poem.

“Knowledge about Na, where slaves are openly made and sold

makes loyalty to me seem strange when gained through no gold.

But experience through danger has created true joy

For us, who, helping each other, our false faces employ.”

You are not sure whether to be terrified by Sima’s confidence in guessing – correctly – that you are studying gates magic based solely upon your reaction to Roxan’s calling you a summoner or impressed by her ability to give to you what you think is her most explicit discussion about her great interest in mastery magic and related topics and your helpfulness to her and your study of gates magic – all without explicitly mentioning anything illegal.

Still, you are glad that Sima is your very close friend rather than your enemy.

But then you frown. What should you do with the book that she gave to you?

Choices:

Keep the book.

You figure that, given your predicament, reading about other gates mages' downfalls could be useful for you – although rather stressful. Plus, it is nice to accept Sima’s efforts to help you – as you hope that she will accept your offer to date her next year.

So, after putting the book away, you try to get on with your normal life – now a year older. [+ 1 skill level flawless timing, + 1 skill step innuendo, + 1 stress, add item A True Account of the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages, - 50 pims for Sima Venesico, end event]

You figure that, given your predicament, reading about other gates mages' downfalls could be useful for you – although rather stressful. Plus, it is nice to accept Sima’s efforts to help you.

So, after putting the book away, you try to get on with your normal life – now a year older. [+ 1 skill level flawless timing, + 1 skill step innuendo, + 1 stress, add item A True Account of the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages, - 50 pims for Sima Venesico, end event]

Destroy the book.

You figure that, given your predicament, reading about other gates mages' downfalls would be too stressful and risky for you. Plus, although Sima made an effort to help you, she said that you were welcome to reject her help. You hope that she can be as open in her desires when dating you next year.

So, with a sigh, you methodically tear every page from the book into tiny pieces – not wanting to attract attention with magic – rips off the leather from the cover, and through the remnant of the cover’s leather into the bottom of a garbage bin, covering the leather with the shredded paper and then the book’s coverboards. Then, with another sigh, you try to get on with your normal life – now a year older. [+ 1 skill level flawless timing, + 1 skill step innuendo, + 3 stress, + 2 skill levels planning, - 50 pims for Sima Venesico, end event]

You figure that, given your predicament, reading about other gates mages' downfalls would be too stressful and risky for you. Plus, although Sima made an effort to help you, she said that you were welcome to reject her help. You hope that she can be as open in her desires when dating you next year.

So, with a sigh, you methodically tear every page from the book into tiny pieces – not wanting to attract attention with magic – rips off the leather from the cover, and through the remnant of the cover’s leather into the bottom of a garbage bin, covering the leather with the shredded paper and then the book’s coverboards. Then, with another sigh, you try to get on with your normal life – now a year older. [+ 1 skill level flawless timing, + 1 skill step innuendo, + 3 stress, + 2 skill levels planning, - 50 pims for Sima Venesico, end event]

Reward:

A True Account of the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages

Description

This book, whose first page attributes it to Captain Dietmar Tabgach, purports, not only in its title but also frequently in its floridly written text, to be an account of how people met various terrible ends through gates magic. Although this theme is frequently adhered to throughout the narrations, the author engages in many digressions about other topics, such as the slave-trade in Na, the internal politics of the Oursouki realms, and the dangers of trusting too much to people who will not submit to the Empire of Man’s benevolent laws, religion, and authorities. Despite the text’s obvious biases, it provides useful guidance about how gates magic can be used in exceptionally dangerous ways – as well as fascinating discussions of lands where gates magic is legal.

In-Game Benefits

Action: Read about the Crimes and Downfalls of Famous Gates Mages

Description:

Reading about the crimes and downfalls of famous gates mages is not pleasant reading for an aspiring gates mage, but it is very informative.

Benefits:

+ 1 skill step worldliness, + 1 skill step theory of gates, + 1 skill step criminal law, + 1 stress

In-Game Features

This item must be equipped in order to be used. It fits into the book slot. If the PC is caught with it, it will be confiscated.

Edited by Rhialto
replaced "you realize that that are not decreasing" with "you realize that they are not decreasing".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Skill in Brewing:

Notes

So, this scene is meant to trigger on the first day of a PC’s brewing class in Y2. However, it has an extraordinarily specific set of prerequisites. The PC mast be in Morvidus College, must have been in Morvidus College during Y1, must have completed Cante Caviti’s Y1 adventure, must have no Affection or Love with any female student (except for Zoe Melis), must have relationship > -1 with Neta Xemutre, must not have completed Neta Xemutre’s Y1 adventure, must not have Neta Xemutre in the same clique as the PC, and, on the first day of classes during Y2, must have a Brew skill > 10.

Text

If PC is Male

If PC has not Love nor Affection with Zoe Melis

You are walking out of your first formal Brewing class at the Academagia – and feeling very pleased with yourself for what you hope was a display of exceptional competence rather than simply not being incompetent – when you see a swirl of silvery hairs in one corner of one of your eyes and hear what may be a greeting. Turning towards what you hope is not some magical or monstrous problem, you are relieved to see that you are only looking at Neta Xemutre, who looks at you shyly.

Any thoughts about why Neta is looking at you in the way which she is are cut short when Neta says, slowly and softly, “[PCFirstName], you were so skilled at brewing during this class. I am interested in brewing myself, and I wanted to…”

Neta’s voice trails off and she looks faintly uncomfortable. You know that Neta, with her reputation, must be aware that her words to you can easily be interpreted as part of her efforts to gain another admirer to fawn over her in hopes of dating her – despite the rules for even second year students. So, you figure that you should be responsible for replying to Neta’s awkward greeting.

[If PC has Love with Zoe Melis]

You are walking out of your first formal Brewing class at the Academagia – and feeling very pleased with yourself for what you hope was a display of exceptional competence rather than simply not being incompetent – when you see a swirl of silvery hairs in one corner of one of your eyes and hear what may be a greeting. Turning towards what you hope is not some magical or monstrous problem, you are relieved to see that you are only looking at Neta Xemutre, who looks at you shyly.

Any thoughts about why Neta is looking at you in the way which she is are cut short when Neta says, slowly and softly, “[PCFirstName], you were so skilled at brewing during this class. I am interested in brewing myself, and I wanted to…”

Neta’s voice trails off and she looks faintly uncomfortable. You know that Neta, with her reputation, must be aware that her words to you can easily be interpreted as part of her efforts to gain another admirer to fawn over her in hopes of dating her – despite the rules for even second year students.

Neta, perhaps noticing the expression on your face, says, “Zoe and I discussed similar things during Hedi’s orientation, so she would not mind your talking to me.”

Despite her words, Neta seems distinctly unwilling to broach what exactly she wanted to talk to you about,

So, you figure that you should be responsible for replying to Neta’s awkward greeting – and worry about how Zoe might react later.

[If PC has Affection but not Love with Zoe Melis]

Neta’s voice trails off and she looks faintly uncomfortable. You know that Neta, with her reputation, must be aware that her words to you can easily be interpreted as part of her efforts to gain another admirer to fawn over her in hopes of dating her – despite the rules for even second year students.

Neta, perhaps noticing the expression on your face, says, “Zoe and I discussed similar things during Hedi’s orientation, so she would not mind your talking to me. Besides,” and here Neta frowns in faint exasperation, “Zoe and you are not as close as many want to be with me.”

Despite her words, Neta seems distinctly unwilling to broach what exactly she wanted to talk to you about,

So, you figure that you should be responsible for replying to Neta’s awkward greeting – and worry about how Zoe might react later.

If PC is Female

If PC has Affection with Cante Caviti

You are walking out of your first formal Brewing class at the Academagia, feeling very pleased with yourself for what you hope was a display of exceptional competence rather than simply not being incompetent – although you know that anyone must seem competent compared to Cante Caviti – when you see a swirl of silvery hairs in one corner of one of your eyes and hear what may be a greeting. Turning towards what you hope is not some magical or monstrous problem, you are relieved to see that you are only looking at Neta Xemutre, who looks at you shyly.

Neta’s voice trails off and she looks faintly uncomfortable. You know that Neta, with her reputation, must be aware that her words to you can easily be interpreted as part of her efforts to deal with her attractiveness to boys – which could lead your reputation in interesting ways even if the rumour mongers were not to try to twist this meeting into something about Cante. So, you figure that you should be responsible for replying to Neta’s awkward greeting.

If PC has no Affection with Cante Caviti

Neta’s voice trails off and she looks faintly uncomfortable. You know that Neta, with her reputation, must be aware that her words to you can easily be interpreted as part of her efforts to deal with her attractiveness to boys – which could lead your reputation in interesting ways. So, you figure that you should be responsible for replying to Neta’s awkward greeting.

Choices

[If PC has Love with Zoe Melis] “What did you and Zoe discuss? Does she want help with brewing?”

[if PC completed the Triplets’ Y1 adventure and Sima Venesico’s Y1 adventure]

Neta sighs, and says, “How noble of you. But no, I just talked to Zoe about how, despite my,” and here Neta pauses, frowning, for a second, before continuing, “qualities, I would not try to take you away from her. When she met me during Hedi College’s latest orientation, Zoe told me that she fears that you may be led away from her by someone better than she is. She is aware, after all, that you helped Sima somehow last year, and suspects that you and Sima were busy together in other ways last year.”

Seeing your face’s dawning horror, Neta says, hastily, “Not that Zoe doubts your feelings for her. She is just aware of Sima’s interesting qualities and her own weaknesses in comparison.” Then, softly, Neta continues, “So I assured her that she would not need to fear that from me – and I meant it.”

You grow weak in the knees – although whether from sorrow about hearing about dear Zoe’s lack of self-confidence or from thinking about how Sima has made your life so much more complicated in so many ways, you are not sure. [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step empathy, remove option “Neta, I don’t want to be your boyfriend, so try your approaches elsewhere.”, choose other option]

[if PC did not complete both the Triplets’ Y1 adventure and Sima Venesico’s Y1 adventure]

Neta sighs, and says, “How noble of you. But no, I just talked to Zoe about how, despite my,” and here Neta pauses, frowning, for a second, before continuing, “qualities, I would not try to take you away from her. When she met me during Hedi College’s latest orientation, Zoe told me that she fears that you may be led away from her by someone better than she is.”

Seeing your face’s shock, Neta says, hastily, “Not that Zoe doubts your feelings for her.” Then, softly, Neta continues, “So I assured her that she would not need to fear that from me – and I meant it.”

You grow weak in the knees from sorrow about hearing about dear Zoe’s lack of self-confidence. [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step empathy, remove option “Neta, I don’t want to be your boyfriend, so try your approaches elsewhere.”, choose other option]

[If PC has Affection but no Love with Zoe Melis] “What did you and Zoe discuss?”

Neta sighs, and says, “I just talked to Zoe about how, despite my,” and here Neta pauses, frowning, for a second, before continuing, “qualities, I would not try to take you away from her. When she met me during Hedi College’s latest orientation, Zoe told me that she fears that you may be led away from her by someone better than she is.”

Seeing your face’s shock, Neta says, hastily, “Not that Zoe doubts that she and you have a… deep friendship.” Then, softly, Neta continues, “So I assured her that she would not need to fear that from me – and I meant it.”

You grow weak in the knees from sorrow about hearing about Zoe’s lack of self-confidence. [+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step empathy, remove option “Neta, I don’t want to be your boyfriend, so try your approaches elsewhere.”, choose other option]

[If Male PC has no Affection and is Prodigy: On the Prowl] “No need to be shy. I also want to date you!”

Neta flushes, and then she glares at you. “You assume wrongly, [PCFullName],” she hisses. “We will settle this in a duel, come in time!”

Then, turning, she stalks away. [relationship with Neta Xemutre set to – 10, vendetta declared between PC and Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC Completed Y1’s Adventure “The Clock Maker’s Daughter”] “I had help from outside the Academagia. Pelia figlia dell'Orolagliaio is my friend, and a very skilled brewer.”

[If PC is Male]

Neta gives a smile which to you looks extremely relieved. Then, she says, “I am so glad that you have given to me a person whom I can research. Maybe your Pelia can help me. Farewell.”

With a little wave, she turns and rushes away.

You are slightly disappointed that Neta did not want to talk more with you, but you suppose that with your reputation and Neta’s reputation, Neta was saving you and her from many complications.

Later that day, you receive outside your bedroom a scribbled note of thanks from Pelia for sending business her way and a few pims. [+ 1 skill step character study, + 10 pims for the PC, - 20 pims for Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill level in 2 random Brewing skills for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, end event]

Neta gives a smile which to you looks relieved. Then, she says, “I am so glad that you have given to me a person whom I can research. Maybe your Pelia can help me. Farewell.”

You are slightly disappointed that Neta did not want to talk more with you, but you suppose that with Neta’s reputation, Neta was saving you and her from many complications.

Later that day, you receive outside your bedroom a scribbled note of thanks from Pelia for sending business her way and a few pims. [+ 1 skill step character study, + 10 pims for the PC, - 20 pims for Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill level in 2 random Brewing skills for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC is Female]

Neta says, “I am so glad that you have given to me a person whom I can research. Maybe your Pelia can help me. Farewell.”

You are slightly disappointed that Neta did not want to talk more with you, but you suppose that Neta wanted help with brewing, not conversation – and you must admit that Pelia is a great help in brewing.

[If PC is male] “Neta, I don’t want to be your boyfriend, so try your approaches elsewhere.”

Neta flushes, and then she frowns at you. “You assume wrongly, [PCFullName],” she hisses.

Then, turning, she stalks away.

You suppose that even Neta must have other interests, such as brewing, and realize that it must be hard for her to establish her other interests, given her reputation. [+1 skill step sleuthing, - 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC is female] “Can’t Sima or Emilia from Avila help you? Because I have other things to do.”

Neta flushes, and then she frowns at you. “You assume wrongly, [PCFullName],” she hisses.

Then, turning, she stalks away.

You suppose that even Neta must have other interests, such as brewing, and realize that it must be hard for her to establish her other interests, given her reputation. [+1 skill step sleuthing, - 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, end event]

“I had no idea that you are interested in brewing, Neta.”

[If PC is Male]

[if PC has no affection with Zoe Melis]

Neta bares her teeth to you in what may be a smile or a grimace. “Few people are, honestly. Given how many boys want to date me, and what Hedi College is associated with, I rarely get a chance to demonstrate such interest. But I have it. Speaking quietly about riddles is not only useful for diplomacy and freeing humans from dragons.”

“Why did you seek me about this, given my reputation?”

Neta sighs and tosses a portion of her cloud-like hair. “Because you seemed to be so skilled. I knew that you might try to flirt with me in some way, but because you helped Cante Cavite last year – despite his being in Vernin College – I thought that you might be willing to ignore assumptions in order to focus on a love of brewing. I was right…this time.”

Then, smiling faintly, Neta says, “I hope that this has given you a different perspective about me. But of course,” and at this point Neta leans in towards you a bit, allowing you to smell a fascinating perfume which she is wearing, “I, like you, can be appreciated from many different perspectives.”

Before you can say anything else, such as asking Neta whether she was flirting with you, Neta raises a hand and waves at you. “I am just so relieved that…that we were able to talk as if I were no-not unusual. Many thanks, [PCFirstName]! I must go to think about what this means for me, given…”

Neta’s voice trails off, and she walks away. Still, you are glad that you were able to make her happy – while learning something interesting about Neta in addition. [+ 8 relationship between the PC and Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill step Speaking Quietly of Riddles for the PC, + 2 skill levels flirting for Neta Xemutre, stress reset to 0 for Neta Xemutre, gain permanent passive ability Neta’s Gift for PC, end event]

Neta’s Gift:

Description:

Neta Xemutre, although not as noteworthy for her interest in perfumes as Emilia Picotti, was wearing a very fascinating perfume when she had a very interesting – and possibly flirtatious – conversation with you. You are not sure whether Neta consciously used magic, but recollecting the scent which she was wearing allows you to better understand other smells which you encounter.

Benefits:

+ 1 to perfumes and scent detection

[if PC has affection and/or love with Zoe Melis]

Neta bares her teeth to you in what may be a smile or a grimace. “Few people are, honestly. Given how many boys want to date me, and what Hedi College is associated with, I rarely get a chance to demonstrate such interest. But I have it. Speaking quietly about riddles is not only useful for diplomacy and freeing humans from dragons.”

“Why did you seek me about this, given my reputation?”

Neta sighs and tosses a portion of her cloud-like hair. “Because you seemed to be so skilled. I knew that you might try to flirt with me in some way, but because you helped Cante Cavite last year – despite his being in Vernin College – I thought that you might be willing to ignore assumptions in order to focus on a love of brewing. I was right…this time.”

Then, smiling faintly, Neta says, “I hope that this has given you a different perspective about me.”

Before you can say anything else, Neta raises a hand and waves at you. “I am just so relieved that…that we were able to talk as if I were no-not unusual. Many thanks, [PCFirstName]! I must go to think about what this means for me, given…”

Neta’s voice trails off, and she walks away. Still, you are glad that you were able to make her happy – while learning something interesting about Neta in addition. [+ 2 relationship between the PC and Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill step Speaking Quietly of Riddles for the PC, stress reset to 0 for Neta Xemutre, end event]

“Why did you seek me about this, given…?” But then you realize that you do not know how to phrase what you mean. So many ways of saying what you mean could insult Neta.

Neta sighs and tosses a portion of her cloud-like hair. “Trust me, I’ve heard so many insults because of my traits – some of which are true. Anyways, you seemed to be so skilled that because you helped Cante Cavite last year – despite his being in Vernin College – I thought that you might be willing to ignore assumptions in order to focus on a love of brewing with assuming that I was trying to flirt with you. I was right…this time.”

Then, smiling faintly, Neta says, “I hope that this has given you a different perspective about me.”

Before you can say anything else, Neta raises a hand and waves at you. “I am just so relieved that…that we were able to talk as if I were no-not unusual. Many thanks, [PCFirstName]! I must go to think about what this means for me, given…”

Neta’s voice trails off, and she walks away. Still, you are glad that you were able to make her happy – while learning something interesting about Neta in addition. [+ 2 relationship between the PC and Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill step Speaking Quietly of Riddles for the PC, stress reset to 0 for Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC is Female]

“Why did you seek me about this, given…?” But then you realize that you do not know how to phrase what you mean. So many ways of saying what you mean could insult Neta.

Neta sighs and tosses a portion of her cloud-like hair. “Trust me, I’ve heard so many insults because of my traits – some of which are true. Anyways, you seemed to be so skilled that because you helped Cante Cavite last year – despite his being in Vernin College – I thought that you might be willing to ignore assumptions in order to focus on a love of brewing. I was right…this time.”

“Would you like to study brewing with me, Neta?”

[If PC is Male]

“You would be willing to study with me?” Neta looks at you with skepticism, but then smiles faintly. “Fair enough. That would be wonderful. But only studying about brewing, mind you. Nothing else. Even though we are…what we are – in our own ways.”

As she walks away, you are glad that you have a new person to study with. [+ 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill level study habits for the PC and Neta Xemutre, add action Study Brewing with Net Xemutre, end event]

Study Brewing with Neta Xemutre

Description:

You and Neta Xemutre have resolved to study brewing together…and because Neta is genuinely interested in brewing while lacking Cante Cavite’s gross incompetence, you gain much from such work.

Benefits:

+ 1 relationship between Neta Xemutre and the PC, + 1 study level in brewing, + 1 skill step in a random brewing subskill for the PC and Neta Xemutre.

“You would be willing to study with me?” Neta looks at you with skepticism, but then smiles faintly. “Fair enough. That would be wonderful. But only studying about brewing, mind you. Nothing else.”

As she walks away, you are glad that you have a new person to study with. [+ 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre, + 1 skill level study habits for the PC and Neta Xemutre, add action Study Brewing with Net Xemutre, end event]

Description:

You and Neta Xemutre have resolved to study brewing together…and because Neta is genuinely interested in brewing while lacking Cante Cavite’s gross incompetence, youb gain much from such work.

Benefits:

+ 1 relationship between Neta Xemutre and the PC, + 1 study level in brewing, + 1 skill step in a random brewing subskill for the PC and Neta Xemutre.

[If PC is Female]

“You would be willing to study with me?” Neta looks at you with undisguised joy. “That would be wonderful.”

Description:

You and Neta Xemutre have resolved to study brewing together…and because Neta is genuinely interested in brewing while lacking Cante Cavite’s gross incompetence, you gain much from such work.

Benefits:

Edited by Rhialto
Fixed a bizarre typo.

Neta’s Perspective:

Feedback is welcomed by me.

Notes:

This is a short little adventure for Y2 in which the PC seeks clarification from Neta Xemutre. I was inspired to write it by thinking about how a certain outcome for my adventure “Skill in Brewing” may send unfortunate messages to players about women.

Prerequisites:

The player must have the passive trait “Neta’s Gift”, which can only be gained from a very specific set of circumstances in my adventure “Skill in Brewing”, must have relationship greater >0 with Neta Xemutre, and must have no affection nor love with any character.

Text:

[If PC did not, during Y1, learn about Regent Briardi’s history with the Duke of Broken Pines]

You have long been wondering about Neta’s remark to you, after your first brewing class, that she can be appreciated from different perspectives. And the perfume which she let you smell as she made that remark – you can still recall its odour with pleasure even now!

But you are not a person given to wondering when you can learn through research and inquiry – especially when said research and inquiry involves talking to a fellow Academagia student who is as beautiful and interesting due to her shared interests as Neta Xemutre is revealing herself to you as being.

You are thankful that Neta, despite whatever other faults she may have, is not difficult to find within the Academagia’s public areas. All you need to do is find a swarm of young men of varying ages bearing gifts suitable for a date with a beautiful girl, and Neta is almost guaranteed to be at the crowd’s centre – or to have recently left it.

After waiting for the last of Neta’s overt admirers to leave her, gasping in relief that she has accepted his hand-made and hand-painted card (whose creation he described in great detail to Neta and all who might be within at least ten feet of his mouth), you approach Neta, who looks at you with interest.

“[PCFirstName], what are you here to see me about?” Neta gives a pleasant grin to you, which seems to dispel her previous exasperated gloom about her admirers with such easy skill that you are tempted to ask her whether Regent Briardi is studying her.

But no – you do not want to turn Neta’s attention to Regent Briardi, even though such a topic may be less complicated. Rather, you want to keep the conversation about you and Neta.

[If PC, during Y1, learned about Regent Briardi’s history with the Duke of Broken Pines]

You have long been wondering about Neta’s remark to you, after your first brewing class, that she can be appreciated from different perspectives. And the perfume which she let you smell as she made that remark – you can still recall its odour with pleasure even now!

But you are not a person given to wondering when you can learn through research and inquiry – especially when said research and inquiry involves talking to a fellow Academagia student who is as beautiful and interesting due to her shared interests as Neta Xemutre is revealing herself to you as being.

You are thankful that Neta, despite whatever other faults she may have, is not difficult to find within the Academagia’s public areas. All you need to do is find a swarm of young men of varying ages bearing gifts suitable for a date with a beautiful girl, and Neta is almost guaranteed to be at the crowd’s centre – or to have recently left it.

After waiting for the last of Neta’s overt admirers to leave her, gasping in relief that she has accepted his hand-made and hand-painted card (whose creation he described in great detail to Neta and all who might be within at least ten feet of his mouth), you approach Neta, who looks at you with interest.

“[PCFirstName], what are you here to see me about?” Neta gives a pleasant grin to you, which seems to dispel her previous exasperated gloom about her admirers with such easy skill that you are tempted to ask her whether Regent Briardi is studying her.

But no – you do not want to turn Neta’s attention to Regent Briardi, even though such a topic may be less complicated and Briardi may in fact understand some of Neta’s problems. Rather, you want to keep the conversation about you and Neta.

Choices:

“Neta, were you flirting with me after our first brewing class?”

Neta looks at you for an instant, her eyes lost in thought. Then she says, in a rapid and slightly soft voice, “Yes I was. Did you have a problem with this?”

Taken aback by Neta’s genuinely concerned voice, you say, “I like flirting also. It is just that, you were trying so hard to establish yourself as more than a flirtatious girl to me, so I was wondering whether I misinterpreted your final remarks.”

Neta gasps, then, smiling, says to you, “You know, that is why I actually enjoy flirting with you.”

“What? Why?” You are stunned, and hope that no one else overheard what Neta said – otherwise, you might have duels and accusations of mastery magic made against you.

“Because you treat me like a person with common interests, you do not elevate me into a prize to be used in various limited ways which break the Academagia’s rules, and when I flirt with you, you do not assume that all of my non-flirtatious behaviour was just a pretense. You are so refreshing compared to my other so-called suitors.”

“Does this mean that we are…”, but then your throat closes. You dare not say such words. Not to Neta, whose face has created one thousand loves, and whose cloud-like hairs have been praised not only by bad student poets but also by a few good ones.

Neta laughs, but not unkindly. “If relationships were so easy, then the satirical account of Monteon’s last days which Sima tried to get me interested in would not seem so crazy when its hero earns his beloved’s undying love with his first words of mild praise to her. But,” and here she raises a finger, “you have created a good foundation for some type of special relationship with me. I will gladly walk and talk with you in order to feel more…relaxed.”

Neta’s face seems tense, and you assume that she is worried that you may be angry at her. Seeking to assuage her concerns, you say, “Neta, although I am in Morvidus College, I am not like Vettor Conta, to tease and harass girls until they agree to date me. I have always thought that when the girl is not interested in me, the flirting becomes not only cruelly unwelcome to her but also no fun to me.”

“If only all at this school thought as you do,” Neta sighs. She seems about to say more to you, but a male voice, raised in greeting towards her, causes her to grimace.

“You should go for now, [PCFirstName]. But be assured that I will remember you.”

As you walk away from Neta, you feel as if you were walking on clouds – and not only because of Neta’s hair. She is such an interesting and thoughtful girl – it is such a pity that she is so defined by how much people want to date her. [+ 1 skill level patience, illustration, and flirting for the PC and Neta Xenutre, + 1 relationship maximum with Neta Xemutre, add action Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre, end event]

“Neta, the perfume which you were wearing after our first brewing class was amazing. Can you tell me more about it?”

“Really?” Neta sounds skeptical, and she purses her lips. “I was just wearing some standard stuff – some girl from Avila is the perfume lover in this school.” Then, in a softer voice which you can barely hear, she mutters, “It must be my…”

Then, Neta jerks and says, in a more normal voice, “But you are no more here for my perfume’s secret than I am in Avila. Why are you really here?”

Despite the fact that Neta’s words could be harsh, she is not unkind in her tone or in her expression, so you feel comfortable in saying, “Neta, were you flirting with me after our first brewing class?”

Neta looks at you for an instant, her eyes lost in thought. Then she says, in a rapid and slightly soft voice, “Yes I was. Did you have a problem with this?”

Taken aback by Neta’s genuinely concerned voice, you say, “I like flirting also. It is just that, you were trying so hard to establish yourself as more than a flirtatious girl to me, so I was wondering whether I misinterpreted your final remarks.”

Neta gasps, then, smiling, says to you, “You know, that is why I actually enjoy flirting with you.”

“What? Why?” You are stunned, and hope that no one else overheard what Neta said – otherwise, you might have duels and accusations of mastery magic made against you.

“Because you treat me like a person with common interests, you do not elevate me into a prize to be used in various limited ways which break the Academagia’s rules, and when I flirt with you, you do not assume that all of my non-flirtatious behaviour was just a pretense. You are so refreshing compared to my other so-called suitors.”

“Does this mean that we are…”, but then your throat closes. You dare not say such words. Not to Neta, whose face has created one thousand loves, and whose cloud-like hairs have been praised not only by bad student poets but also by a few good ones.

Neta laughs, but not unkindly. “If relationships were so easy, then the satirical account of Monteon’s last days which Sima tried to get me interested in would not seem so crazy when its hero earns his beloved’s undying love with his first words of mild praise to her. But,” and here she raises a finger, “you have created a good foundation for some type of special relationship with me. I will gladly walk and talk with you in order to feel more…relaxed.”

Neta’s face seems tense, and you assume that she is worried that you may be angry at her. Seeking to assuage her concerns, you say, “Neta, although I am in Morvidus College, I am not like Vettor Conta, to tease and harass girls until they agree to date me. I have always thought that when the girl is not interested in me, the flirting becomes not only cruelly unwelcome to her but also no fun to me.”

“If only all at this school thought as you do,” Neta sighs. She seems about to say more to you, but a male voice, raised in greeting towards her, causes her to grimace.

“You should go for now, [PCFirstName]. But be assured that I will remember you.”

As you walk away from Neta, you feel as if you were walking on clouds – and not only because of Neta’s hair. She is such an interesting and thoughtful girl – it is such a pity that she is so defined by how much people want to date her. [+ 1 skill level patience, illustration, and flirting for the PC and Neta Xenutre, + 1 skill level perfumes for the PC, + 1 skill level Character Study for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship maximum with Neta Xemutre, add action Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre, end event]

“Neta, I was fascinated to learn that you like brewing so much. You must have other interesting aspects – aside from the obvious.”

“I do,” Neta slowly drawls, “but they are personal and involve my family.” Then, in a softer voice which you can barely hear, she mutters, “Cursed…”

Then, Neta jerks and says, in a more normal voice dripping with cheer, “But brewing is a good foundation for friendship, I hope.”

With Neta’s forced cheerfulness so obviously a way to ward off questions about her heritage, you feel comfortable in playing into her hands by saying, “Neta, were you flirting with me after our first brewing class?”

“If only all at this school thought as you do,” Neta sights. She seems about to say more to you, but a male voice, raised in greeting towards her, causes her to grimace.

As you walk away from Neta, you feel as if you were walking on clouds – and not only because of Neta’s hair. She is such an interesting and thoughtful girl – it is such a pity that she is so defined by how much people want to date her. [+ 1 skill level patience, illustration, and flirting for the PC and Neta Xenutre, + 1 skill level Character Study for the PC, + 1 skill level Diplomacy for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship maximum with Neta Xemutre, add action Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC has Secret Heritage but is not student at Schohanwicht School] “Neta, I know that you have…something mysterious about you, but you do not need to tell me about it. You are interesting to me as a Hedi student who likes brewing.”

“Really?” Neta laughs. “If only more people – not just my admirers – were able to think about me in that way.” Then, in a softer voice which you can barely hear, she mutters, “It must be my…”

Then, Neta jerks and says, in a more normal voice, “But you are not here only to discuss the obvious with me. Why are you really here?”

Despite the fact that Neta’s words could be harsh, she is not unkind in her tone or in her expression, so you feel comfortable in saying, “Neta, were you flirting with me after our first brewing class?”

“If only all at this school thought as you do,” Neta sights. She seems about to say more to you, but a male voice, raised in greeting towards her, causes her to grimace.

As you walk away from Neta, you feel as if you were walking on clouds – and not only because of Neta’s hair. She is such an interesting and thoughtful girl – it is such a pity that she is so defined by how much people want to date her. [+ 1 skill level patience, illustration, and flirting for the PC and Neta Xenutre, + 1 skill level Etiquette for the PC, + 1 skill level Character Study for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship maximum with Neta Xemutre, add action Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre, end event]

[If PC has Secret Heritage and is student at Schohanwicht School] “Neta, you are not alone in having strange powers which you do not like to talk about. Besides, any girl with an interest in brewing would be interesting to me even if she were perfectly normal.”

Neta laughs sardonically. “You are probably thinking that you are making some agonizing personal revelation to me in an attempt to get…whatever you want from me. Better that than making a big deal about spending 700 pims in order to get the Quiet Girl to tell you whenever I was entering the Venalicum alone, you know – and I know directly from him that one of my admirers did that.” Then, in a softer voice, Neta says, “I have heard so many false claims about my traits, though – and not only from admirers’ admirers – that I would be foolish, to assume that I could guess your secret. So, your secret is safe with me – so far. But you had better not ask me how human I am, okay?”

Then, Neta jerks and says, in a more normal voice, “But you are not here only to discuss the obvious with me, nor to hint coyly about suppressed truths in our lives. Why are you really here?”

As you walk away from Neta, you feel as if you were walking on clouds – and not only because of Neta’s hair. She is such an interesting and thoughtful girl – it is such a pity that she is so defined by how much people want to date her. [+ 1 skill level patience, illustration, and flirting for the PC and Neta Xenutre, + 1 skill level Etiquette for the PC, + 1 skill level Character Study for Neta Xemutre, + 1 relationship maximum with Neta Xemutre, add action Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre, end event]

Benefits:

Walk and Talk with Neta Xemutre (action)

Description:

Neta Xemutre and you have developed a strange sort of understanding. Whenever Neta wants to interact with a male student who is not helplessly fawning over her out of eagerness to date her, you are a very relaxing option whom she enjoys as a fascinating source of conversation. You, for your part, are happy to oblige her, even though the rumours which surround your strolls with her are rather stressful for you.

Benefits:

For the PC:

+ 1 stress, + 1 skill step in a random befriend subskill, + 1 skill step in a random beguile subskill, + 1 relationship with Neta Xemutre

For Neta Xemutre:

- 1 stress, + 1 skill step in a random befriend subskill, + 1 skill step in a random beguile subskill, + 1 relationship with the PC

Edited by Rhialto
I have edited this.

• 2 weeks later...

Location for Researching the Aklo Script:

Name

Uliva’s Snake-Handling Spot

Region

The Academagia Grounds

Discovery Difficulty

Description

This location, within sight of the Ardica River, would not by itself have attracted your attention if not for Uliva’s use of it – after which you realize that it is indeed distinguished by its distance from sources of noise and by how easy it is to look upon other places without seeming obviously visible or hidden. Uliva uses it as a place for examining various snakes which she finds, but you can easily imagine other people using it for other reasons – or do so yourself, if you were wanting to do such a thing.

Benefits when Used as a Location for Action

+ 1 to scouting, + 2 to perception

Aklo Script Research Levels:

Research Level 1:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step cryptology, + 1 skill step worldliness

Benefits for Uliva Valaresso:

+ 1 skill step anthropology, + 1 skill step first principles

Lore Text:

Uliva looks at you expectantly once you have arrived.

“What did you notice about the code which I showed to you before classes ended in our first year?” she asks casually.

“It had many signs for animals,” you reply, not sure whether you are questioning her in return.

“Yes,” Uliva smiles, “but it has another feature – or rather a weakness. At its core, it is a substitution cypher, and substitution cyphers are very easy to crack in long texts. All languages written with the Empire of Man’s typical alphabet have distinctive distributions of their letters –

meaning that people fluent in their languages can, given a long enough text, easily match each cyphering letter to its standard equivalent. But there is a solution. Can you guess it?”

“Write short messages only?” you ask.

Uliva laughs in a vaguely sinister way. “If, in our respective studies, we were to limit ourselves to that, we would not be able to learn such wonderful things, would we?”

Thinking about the detailed explanations which you have received at the Schohaniwicht and from Euneycia, you glumly shake your head in denial. Then you wonder what sort of things Uliva studies, and whether they have been blamed for something as major as Monteon’s end, and your face becomes even glummer.

Uliva sighs and squeezes your hand. “I hate the secrets also,” she murmurs. Then, in a more confident voice, she says, “But a better solution is to avoid substitution cyphers in favor of obscure scripts. And the Aklo script which I will teach to you is very obscure.”

Uliva seems as if she wants to say more, but, then you notice some people walking by and talking loudly. Uliva, muttering what you presume is a curse, rushes away from you as silently as a snake.

Research Level 2:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step Anthropology, + 1 skill step Memorization

+ 1 skill step Planning, + 1 skill step Forms

Lore Text:

“The Aklo script,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “is based upon a fundamentally different principle from an alphabet. Alphabets use each letter to represent either a consonant or a vowel. But the Aklo script is, at is heart, an abugida. This means that letters stand for either a vowel or a consonant with an inherent ‘ah’ vowel. A system of diacritics, when added to the vowels, changes their tones, pitches, stresses, and relative volumes, and when added to the consonants, changes or eliminates their vowels. Any questions?”

“Why is it called Aklo?” you ask.

Uliva sighs, and says, “Why do things have their names? They work in the same ways with all names. I think that Aklo is a good name.”

You are so puzzled by Uliva’s last comment that you ignore that she avoided answering your question. “What do you mean?”

Uliva removes from a pouch at her belt a notebook and a pencil. Opening the notebook to a blank page, she writes the carefully writes a letter.

“’Ah’,” she says. “This is the first letter in so many scripts, for some reason. Even Miya’s language’s native script, which is a syllabary, begins with ‘ah’.”

Then she writes another letter immediately to the first letter’s left.

“’Kah’,” she says.

Then she draws a small line connecting to a point on the second letter.

“This diacritic,” she says, “makes a consonant lose its inherent vowel. Remember this! So we get, from the modified second letter in combination with the first letter, ‘Ak’.”

Then she writes a third letter.

“’Lah’,” she says.

Then she draws a small line, differing from the previous small line which she drew, connecting to a point on the third letter.

“This diacritic,” she says, “makes a consonant lose its inherent ‘ah’ vowel but gain an inherent ‘oh’ vowel. Remember this! We get, from the modified third letter, ‘loh’. Strung together, these three letters and two diacritics spell the work ‘aklo’ – and writing the word is a useful introduction to the script. Does this answer your question?”

You are spared from having to answer Uliva by a shouted exclamation from a student waving a large fish caught in the Ardica River, upon which Uliva snaps shut the note-book and swiftly walks away.

Research Level 3:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step Voice, + 1 skill step Memorization

Lore Text:

“The Aklo script,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “represents twenty-seven vowels. I will write them out for you and accompany them with sound.”

Although the vowels which Uliva begins with are common, by the time she has finished reciting and drawing their letters in a notebook for you, you are hearing vowels which you have heard nowhere else as part of language.

“Uliva,” you ask her in stunned amazement, “Who uses these sounds in language?”

“They are useful when transcribing sounds,” Uliva tells you.

Research Level 4:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step Listening, + 1 skill step Memorization

Lore Text:

“The Aklo script,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “represents ninety-seven consonants. I will write them out for you and accompany them with sound.”

“Wait,” you tell Uliva. “We don’t have time to memorize ninety-seven consonants right now.”

“Fear not,” Uliva tells you. “I will begin with basic consonants instead – such as ka, ga, and ba."

After Uliva writes down each letter, she tells you what sound it makes; then, she has you write out letters in response to syllables which she calls out for you.

Research Level 5:

Benefits for the PC:

Lore Text:

“It is time for us to move on to less common consonants,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “such as ða, þa, and ŋa.”

“In what language,” you ask Uliva, “do people begin words with ‘ŋ’?”

“Zoe has met some interesting traders in Mineta, from far outside the Empire of Man, who showed to her what they said was aŋ ŋipin ŋ ahas,” Uliva tells you. “Although given Zoe’s frailty, I wonder whether they were hiding from her aŋ paŋil ŋ ulupoŋ.”

“How do you know their language?” you ask Uliva.

“I only know enough of their language to ask about snakes,” Uliva says, grinning. “’Mayroon ka ba aŋ isaŋ puso kun baga ŋ sawa?’ is about the depth of my knowledge.”

Research Level 6:

Benefits for the PC:

Lore Text:

“It is time for us to move on to uncommon consonants,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “such as the various clicking consonants.”

“Uliva,” you ask her in stunned amazement, “Who uses these sounds in language?”

“You said that before,” Uliva says. “And so did I when I started learning the Aklo script. But given how many sounds we encounter, knowing how to write about them can be useful.”

Research Level 7:

Benefits for the PC:

Lore Text:

“It is time for us to move on to very uncommon consonants,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place, “such as the various sounds produced when one’s palate is cleft.”

And then, before you can react meaningfully to her words, she takes out her wand. “But I am a student from Morvidus College,” she smiles weakly, “Changing myself temporarily is easy.”

Before your eyes, Uliva writes phemes which change her jaw and tongue in various ways, so that she is able to accompany each letter with suitable sounds – which you had never thought common enough to receive their own letters.

At the end of the lesson, Uliva writes out other phemes which revert her face and mouth to normality and blows a kiss into the air.

“Back to normal,” she giggles. “And no, I will not use this series of transformations when I start dating.”

“Yes,” you say. “Dating…may be wonderful for you.”

Uliva’s face falls into sorrow and she leans towards you. “I was just trying to distract you from what I know can be very disturbing.”

“Hey, no worries, Uliva. At least you are not like the girl from Godina who always mixes strange and often explosive brews. Can you imagine what types of fun she would want to get involved in with her dearest friend?”

Uliva’s whooping laughter is music to your ears even after she has left you. Still, you are left wondering why Uliva would think it necessary to learn such a detailed script – and who taught it to her.

Research Level 8:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step Forms, + 1 skill step Memorization, + 1 skill step Elumian

+ 1 skill step Planning, + 1 skill step Forms, + 1 skill step Romance

Lore Text:

“It is time for us to deal with the diacritical markings which change or eliminate the consonants’ inherent vowels,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place.

After Uliva has shown to you the markings, she gestures for you to try writing some words. You decide to write, in the Aklo script upon a piece of paper which she hands to you, “Uliva callida est.”

Uliva gasps in delight when she reads your words. “Thanks for the praise,” she says. “I know that my interests can cause other types of reactions to me from other people – but you are better than they are.”

Any chance that Uliva would have been willing to explain more about herself is ruined when you hear the swelling cheer associated with a great athletic victory. Uliva, with tears in her eyes, tears your paper to shreds.

“I keep many things in my memory, which cannot be with me during my life,” she tells you, sighing.

Research Level 9:

Benefits for the PC:

+ 1 skill step Forms, + 1 skill step Memorization, + 1 skill step Diction

+ 1 skill step Planning, + 1 skill step Forms, + 1 skill step Voice

Lore Text:

“Now I can show to you the diacritics which indicate differences in tone, pitch, relative volume, and stress, the diacritics which geminate consonants and indicate whether vowels should be said briefly or dragged out, and the diacritics which indicate when vowels should be long and/or nasalized,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place.

After Uliva has shown to you the vast set of diacritics which this encompasses, she grins at you.

“I can no more ask you, I suppose, to write to me words in which tones fundamentally change sounds' meanings that I could ask a dragon to explain astrology to me,” Uliva says. “But for certain languages, transcriptions of rhetoric, and other writings,” and at this Uliva gives a little shudder, “conveying such information as these diacritics convey, without saying the sounds, is crucial.”

Research Level 10:

Benefits for the PC:

Gain trait Initiate into the Aklo Script

Description

You have been assessed and you have been found worthy of learning about the Aklo script. In mastering this script, you have learned a new way to communicate messages to other people – as well as a new appreciation for the subtleties of writing and speaking.

Benefits

+ 1 intelligence, + 1 to Diction, + 1 to Calligraphy, +1 to Cryptography

Gain action Practice Writing in the Aklo Script

Description

Having mastered the Aklo script, you have the ability to practice it. In doing so, not only do you learn more about how to write familiar sounds and ideas in a new script, but you also gain a better appreciation of how people speak.

Benefits

+ 1 skill step Diction, + 1 skill step Forms, + 1 skill step Cryptography

Gain trait Mystagogue for the Aklo Script

Description

The Aklo script’s student – although whose she will not say – has become the Aklo script’s teacher, and Uliva bears this status with serene good grace.

Benefits

+ 1 charm, + 1 to Diction, + 1 to Voice, +1 to Cryptography

Lore Text:

“Now it is time for me to teach you the final parts of the Aklo script,” Uliva says to you, when you and she are next able to arrange a meeting at the appropriate place.

This time, she does not begin her lesson immediately, but instead looks at you with bright eyes.

“Teaching you these secret signs – it means so much to me,” she says with a faint sob, but her eyes are so happy that you think that she is teary because of joy.

“The final lesson,” Uliva intones. “is in punctuation for indicating various types of pauses, repetition of past letters or letters with diacritics, and punctuation indicating the joining of consonants and vowels - both the isolated vowels and the vowels inherent to consonants - to subsequent consonants and vowels, in order to form diphthongs - which can themselves be affected by the repetition mark. Show me that you can do this.”

Once you have demonstrated to Uliva that you have understood these last features of the Aklo script which she shows to you, Uliva says gently to you, “I am sure that you have so many questions about me and the script which I have taught to you, but I have questions about your secrets also – including what you find so fascinating in a bog.”

You open your mouth, not sure what you will say but knowing that you should say something. Uliva, however, raises her right hand calmly and says, “I will not seek out your secrets if you will not seek out my secrets. Be glad that, rather than trapping you as merely a person whom Vernin students call Morvidus College’s creepiest member's dearest friend, I have allowed you to gain my knowledge. Is this fair?”

Numbly, you reply, “Life is not fair for you, Uliva. You should be celebrated rather than reviled for your skill with snakes.”

“And if you were not required to be so secretive, I have little doubt that you would help me openly by using whatever you are studying,” Uliva says, smiling. “But we make our lives better for ourselves and each other by working within our constraints – which for you must include never teaching the Aklo script to other people without my permission. Otherwise,” and here she gives a hiss, “things would get very unpleasant.”

Motivated by your love for Uliva and a sense of upholding secret knowledge which you now know that she shares, you agree. Then, Uliva and you go your separate ways.

Edited by Rhialto
I forgot a subtlety in languages.

Learning Aklo 00:

Notes:

So, this little adventure, akin to my earlier adventure dealing with researching Prudence Cossins, is based around a chain of research. This chain of research, though, is entirely my own, even though the concepts are not: the idea that a young mage studying secret things would learn a secret script was used (but not, unless I be very naïve, invented) by Arthur Machen; and the script which Uliva teaches operates along principles very similar to Devanagari and other abugidas. Whether Miss Valaresso is in other ways associated with Cyve’s India-equivalents, I know not. This stage of the adventure is meant to trigger automatically as the last event on Juvenalia (barring random events) – reflecting its nature as a late-night meeting with Uliva about secret things.

Prerequisites:

The PC must have at least 13 relationship and love with Uliva Valaresso, and must have the memory “Knows Uliva’s Code”.

Text:

[If PC is in Vernin College]

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that your college has so many towers. Certainly, they look impressive in many ways, but where many towers exist, many steps also exist, which make your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates rather difficult for the legs. So many students and faculty in Vernin, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own property precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

But at last you have finished bringing in the last load of luggage, and rather than relaxing inside your college – and risking gaining more work – you have decided to relax outside in the campus where you will be living for the next several months. The sun has set, but the day is still pleasant enough that you can regard your relaxation as pleasant in more than an esoteric way. If you were not so exhausted, then you might…

Thoughts about what you might do in better circumstances are rather abruptly but not unpleasantly ended by a voice which you recognize as Uliva Valaresso’s.

“[PCFirstName], [PCFullName], I am so glad to have found you.”

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are not sure what surprises you more about what you see about Uliva – that Uliva has willingly approached Vernin College, or that Sasha is not with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

“Yeah, Uliva. Why are you here? Are you looking for Sasha?”

Uliva raises a hand and gently touches your arm. “Not at all. I left Sasha playing with Pomey and Dodey after I explained to her that what I wanted to talk to you about was something where she might be a…distraction.”

Your mind leaps to various possible sensitive things which Uliva may want to do with you. Between Uliva’s interests, your hints to her about your forbidden studies, and your reputation with girls in combination with the strong feelings between you and Uliva, you think that you may count yourself lucky if Uliva’s desires may be pleasant but leading to carefully separated detention for you and her alike.

Jolted by these thoughts from your previous languor, you ask Uliva, “What do you want from me?”

As if realizing that her words may have caused some panic within you, Uliva says, in what may be a rather soothing voice for snakes, “Nothing illegal or against the school’s rules, I swear. I just learned something very interesting over the summer which can help both of us in our…less known…researches. But I cannot talk about it with you here – we are too seen by others.”

When you hesitate, Uliva sighs and says, “If you want to not talk with me about this, I can see why. Life has taught me much about how people think me to be.”

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that your college has so many towers. Certainly, they look impressive in many ways, but where many towers exist, many steps also exist, which make your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates rather difficult for the legs. So many students and faculty in Vernin, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own property precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

But at last you have finished bringing in the last load of luggage, and rather than relaxing inside your college – and risking gaining more work – you have decided to relax outside in the campus where you will be living for the next several months. The sun has set, but the day is still pleasant enough that you can regard your relaxation as pleasant in more than an esoteric way. If you were not so exhausted, then you might…

Thoughts about what you might do in better circumstances are rather abruptly but not unpleasantly ended by a voice which you recognize as Uliva Valaresso’s.

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are not sure what surprises you more about what you see about Uliva – that Uliva has willingly approached Vernin College, or that Sasha is not with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

Uliva raises a hand and gently touches your arm. “Not at all. I left Sasha playing with Pomey and Dodey after I explained to her that what I wanted to talk to you about was something where she might be a…distraction.”

Your mind leaps to various possible sensitive things which Uliva may want to do with you. Between Uliva’s interests and your hints to her about your forbidden studies, you think that you may count yourself lucky if Uliva’s desires may be the sort which would lead her and you to be executed if caught.

Jolted by these thoughts from your previous languor, you ask Uliva, “What do you want from me?”

As if realizing that her words may have caused some panic within you, Uliva says, in what may be a rather soothing voice for snakes, “Nothing illegal or against the school’s rules, I swear. I just learned something very interesting over the summer which can help both of us in our…less known…researches. But I cannot talk about it with you here – we are too seen by others.”

When you hesitate, Uliva sighs and says, “If you want to not talk with me about this, I can see why. Life has taught me much about how people think me to be.”

[If PC is in neither Morvidus College nor Vernin College]

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that the Academagia is located on such a large campus. Certainly, the large size allows many students to engage in many types of research at the same time, but the campus’s size has made your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates rather difficult for the legs. So many students and faculty in the Academagia, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own property precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are not sure what surprises you more about what you see about Uliva – that Uliva has willingly left Morvidus College so late at night, or that Sasha is not with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

Your mind leaps to various possible sensitive things which Uliva may want to do with you. Between Uliva’s interests, your hints to her about your forbidden studies, and your reputation with girls in combination with the strong feelings between you and Uliva, you think that you may count yourself lucky if Uliva’s desires may be pleasant but leading to carefully separated detention for you and her alike.

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that the Academagia is located on such a large campus. Certainly, the large size allows many students to engage in many types of research at the same time, but the campus’s size has made your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates rather difficult for the legs. So many students and faculty in the Academagia, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own property precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are not sure what surprises you more about what you see about Uliva – that Uliva has willingly left Morvidus College so late at night, or that Sasha is not with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

Your mind leaps to various possible sensitive things which Uliva may want to do with you. Between Uliva’s interests and your hints to her about your forbidden studies, you think that you may count yourself lucky if Uliva’s desires may be the sort which would lead her and you to be executed if caught.

[If PC is in Morvidus College]

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that your college has so many lovers of animals within it. Certainly, they are, for the most part, harmlessly eccentric, but where many lovers of animals exist, many animals and their supporting equipment also exist, which make your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates long and exhausting. So many students and faculty in Morvidus, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own animals and related equipment precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

“[PCFirstName], [PCFullName], I am so glad to have found you so close to Morvidus College. It spares me from having to look for you in many places.”

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are surprised to see that Uliva – who, seemingly alone among the people in Morvidus College, was not seeking help from anyone with handling her animal – does not have Sasha with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

“Yeah, Uliva. Why are you here? Are you looking for Sasha? Or would you like help to deal with her in some way?”

The day is late, the sky is dark, and you in your head are cursing the fact that your college has so many lovers of animals within it. Certainly, they are, for the most part, harmlessly eccentric, but where many lovers of animals exist, many animals and their supporting equipment also exist, which make your efforts to unpack certain things for your collegemates long and exhausting. So many students and faculty in Morvidus, you reflect, are neither very organized nor very willing to spend Juvenalia unpacking their own animals and related equipment precisely – and for some reason you kept finding yourself being volunteered as the person who could help them.

“[PCFirstName], [PCFullName], I am so glad to have found you so close to Morvidus College. It spares me from having to look for you in many places.”

Turning towards Uliva’s voice, you realize that Uliva is only about an inch away from you, and that the night is well illuminated enough that you are surprised to see that Uliva – who, seemingly alone among the people in Morvidus College, was not seeking help from anyone with handling her animal – does not have Sasha with her. Still, you maintain your calmness – out of exhaustion as much as out of trust for Uliva.

“Yeah, Uliva. Why are you here? Are you looking for Sasha? Or would you like help to deal with her in some way?”

Choices:

“I will go with you, Uliva, because I know that when you want me to do something illegal, you tell me.”

Uliva’s laughter rather reduces the effectiveness of her silent movement with you, but she stifles her laughter and whispers to you, “And I lead you, [PCFirstName], because I know that when I want help in order to do something illegal, you help me.” [+ 1 skill step Transport, + 1 skill level Romance for Uliva Valaresso, unlock adventure stage Learning Aklo 01]

[If PC is Prodigy: on the Prowl]“I will go with you, Uliva, because I hope that one day we will have such fun sneaking off for other reasons.”

[If PC is not Black Sheep]

Uliva is silent, and not for the first time, you wonder whether a girl has been offended by your words. Then, she gives you a gentle tap with one hand as she leads you to where she wants you to go. Giggling, Uliva whispers, “So many others say that no one would want an ophidiophilic freak like I am. And that is not even getting into my family…”

Then, perhaps realizing that she has said too much, Uliva says, in a deliberately casual voice, “Well, families can cause so much good and bad, you know?”

“Believe me, Uliva, I well understand.” You are still reeling, at a certain level, from your family’s mysterious connection to Gates Magic – and trying to figure out how your family’s status will affect your future and can benefit Uliva. [+ 1 skill step Transport, + 1 skill level Flirting for Uliva Valaresso, unlock adventure stage Learning Aklo 01]

[If PC is Black Sheep]

Uliva is silent, and not for the first time, you wonder whether a girl has been offended by your words. Then, she gives you a gentle tap with one hand as she leads you to where she wants you to go. Giggling, Uliva whispers, “So many others say that no one would want an ophidiophilic freak like I am. And that is not even getting into my family…”

Then, perhaps realizing that she has said too much, Uliva says, in a deliberately casual voice, “Well, families can cause so much good and bad, you know?”

“Believe me, Uliva, I well understand. My family has mostly caused harms for me.” You are still reeling, at a certain level, from your family’s mysterious connection to Gates Magic – and trying to figure out how your family’s status will interact with their near-disowning you in affecting your future and how you can benefit Uliva. [+ 1 skill step Transport, + 1 stress + 1 skill level Flirting for Uliva Valaresso, unlock adventure stage Learning Aklo 01]

“Uliva, can we not discuss this another time? It is rather late, after all.”

Uliva gasps, but her voice, when it comes a couple of second afterwards, is friendly enough. “I think so. It would be less right in some ways, but…you are not me, and I can understand why you do not want to do this right now. So, if you want to meet me on a better day, tell me, and I will meet you at night without Sasha. Then I can lead you to a place where we can talk more. Have a good end to Juvenalia!”

Uliva then walks away with such silentness that if you were not seeking her movement, you would not know her to be moving. [+ 1 skill step Transport, + 1 skill level patience for Uliva Valaresso, unlock adventure stage Learning Aklo 01]

“Uliva, between our school work and our…extracurricular studies, we will be busy this year. So, I want to focus on my studies and not burden you.”

Uliva sighs, but her voice, when it comes a couple of second afterwards, is friendly enough. “I guess that you are right. Still, I thank you for not condemning me as a creep. I was just trying to help you since learning that we seem to have…some things in common. But the choice is yours. Have a good end to Juvenalia!”

Uliva then walks away with such silentness that if you were not seeking her movement, you would not know her to be moving. [+ 1 skill step Transport, + 1 skill level Temperance for Uliva Valaresso, end adventure]

Edited by Rhialto
Missing words added. Excessive words removed.

@Legate of Mineta: In my adventure "Zoe Melis and Eliana Carosi 01", I made the following change: "and the least risky actions when the congregation is most distracted – such as by making the offerings" was replaced by "and the least risky actions when the congregation is least distracted – such as by making the offerings".

Learning Aklo 01:

Text:

Between Uliva’s general secretiveness and her explicit statements that she needed to talk to you in private about sensitive things, you are half expecting Uliva to lead you to some extremely secretive or hidden place, such as a snake’s tunnels, a hidden room in the Academagia, or – your mind thrills at the thought – maybe even the Schonhanwicht School. So when Uliva stops at a seemingly random place on the plain near the Ardica River, you think that maybe she is lost or trying to make sure that no one – aside from you – is following her. But Uliva merely turns towards you and says, “We can talk here.”

You are surprised. “Uliva,” you say, “why? What makes this spot good to talk at? Does it have wards?”

Uliva sighs. “I thought that you might say that,” she says.

“Well,” you drawl, “since an unsecure place is not useful to talk about sensitive things in, and since this place does not seem secure…”

“Point taken,” Uliva laughs. “So, I know that most people have some thoughts for good places for talking about secrets. But such places are bad in their own ways.”

“Why?” If Uliva can suggest some flaw with the Schohanwicht School and Euneycia’s hut, then you want to hear it.

“Such places are scarce. They are hard to find, and once found they cause problems. People are curious about obviously hidden hideouts. Places where it is easy to detect eavesdroppers are more numerous, but often what allows one to keep an easy guard makes the place easily found. Do you understand?”

“Yes. But what is your solution to these problems?” Hearing Uliva’s words, you are amazed about how much thought she has given to this. But then you think about her secret researches ands your secret studies, and realize that maybe you should be more like she is.

“This place is my solution,” Uliva says. “It is a point on the plain where I can easily see or hear people coming. It is not frequented by many, but it can be used to go to many places quickly. And if I am noticed here, no one will think much of it, because it is near the Ardica River’s snakes’ breeding grounds. I found this place while seeking a place where I could study and help a wounded viper without its being stressed by other people or my being distracted by the river.”

Although you are genuinely impressed by Uliva’s reasoning, you ask her, “Will this place be safe for our discussion, though?”

“Well, it will not be loud or bright,” Uliva says.

When Uliva follows by drawing phemes in the air which cause lights to flash in the air, you jerk in surprise.

“What about those lights? Are they not bright?”

“No brighter than fireflies’ lights,” Uliva says. “Besides, creating lights at night is not suspicious – especially at a school for magic.”

Then, Uliva takes from a pouch at her waist a piece of paper, which she unfolds before your curiosity can prompt you to ask her about it. You see that it contains what you presume is a a form of writing, although you cannot read it.

“What does it say, Uliva? Or do you want my help with deciphering it?”

“This text’s meaning is simple,” Uliva replies. “It says, ‘When seizing a non-venomous serpent, remember to be wary about the tail.’ But tell me. Can you read this?”

“No,” you reply. But you cannot help but wonder where Uliva learned to read such a script.

“No? That is…” Uliva’s reply, already faint, trails off. Then, in a louder voice, she says, “Well, I learned over the summer vacation how to use this script – Aklo by name – and I thought that I could teach you how to use it so that we can have a more secure way to write to each other about…certain things.”

“Is the script magical?” You ask Uliva with a faint tremble of fear. Gates magic, you fear, could interact poorly with a type of magic which you would learn in uncontrolled circumstances.

“No more than the Elumian alphabet…or the script which I showed you before our summer vacation,” Uliva laughs, then says, in a more serious tone, “But there are amazing books written using this script – if you knew where to look.”

Then, perhaps fearing – incorrectly, you numbly think – that her words may have frightened you, Uliva with a trembling hand writes more phemes which extinguish the lights. Then, in the renewed darkness, Uliva says in a slightly trembling voice, “I can no more teach you Aklo right now than we can be honest about our secretive studies. But if you treat learning Aklo like a research project, then you can learn it easily enough. I can teach you easily enough, but there is no pressure. We must be safe, though.”

A whisper of wind against you is the only sound which accompanies Uliva when she leaves you.

Choices:

Think about Uliva’s offer – and Uliva.

[If PC is Prodigy: on the Prowl]

You are left alone at the seemingly random place near the Ardica River, which holds no real attraction to you at this time – so you decide to walk back to your room in order to avoid being caught out after curfew. Getting in trouble for such a thing would not be good, you think – it may cause more attention to be paid towards you and Uliva by certain people in the Academagia who, with excessive inquisitiveness, might make at least your life very unpleasant and perhaps Uliva’s life also, depending upon what she studies.

As you walk back to [PC’s College], you think about Uliva some more. It is very nice that she is willing to teach you the Aklo script, given how secretive you must be – but you are moved to wonder where she learned such a script – and what books may have been written using it. No matter how friendly and alluring Uliva seems to you, you know that she is a very strange and mysterious girl – whom you are glad is not only not your enemy but also your dear friend. At least, you think with happiness, you may gain the ability to write to Uliva messages which you would get in major trouble if caught writing or saying them – and not only messages dealing with the pleasure of knowing and liking her and what thoughts such an excellent relationship create within your mind. [inform PC and Uliva Valaresso of location Uliva’s Snake-Handling Spot, + 1 skill level in all glamour subskills for Uliva Valaresso, + 1 skill step strategy for the PC, + 1 skill step romance for the PC]

[If PC is not Prodigy: on the Prowl]

You are left alone at the seemingly random place near the Ardica River, which holds no real attraction to you at this time – so you decide to walk back to your room in order to avoid being caught out after curfew. Getting in trouble for such a thing would not be good, you think – it may cause more attention to be paid towards you and Uliva by certain people in the Academagia who, with excessive inquisitiveness, might make at least your life very unpleasant and perhaps Uliva’s life also, depending upon what she studies.

As you walk back to [PC’s College], you think about Uliva some more. It is very nice that she is willing to teach you the Aklo script, given how secretive you must be – but you are moved to wonder where she learned such a script – and what books may have been written using it. No matter how friendly Uliva seems to you, you know that she is a very strange and mysterious girl – whom you are glad is not only not your enemy but also your dear friend. At least, you think with happiness, you may gain the ability to write to Uliva messages which you would get in major trouble if caught writing or saying them. [inform PC and Uliva Valaresso of location Uliva’s Snake-Handling Spot, + 1 skill level in all glamour subskills for Uliva Valaresso, + 1 skill step strategy for the PC, + 1 skill step romance for the PC]

• 2 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: I made some corrections to "Skill in Brewing," replacing "Any thoughts about any Neta" with "Any thoughts about why Neta". I also revised the tenth lore for the Aklo script research chain.

Here, by the way, is a proposal for Y2's additional writing for characters (based upon whether PCs finished certain adventures). If you like it, then I can write more for other characters.

Miya Hikari: If PC completed Miya Hikari's Y1 adventure

For all of Miya's eccentricity and strange claims, she is willing to do at least something dangerous: thanks to your help, she is a member of the Minetan Thieves' Guild.

@Legate of Mineta: I have edited the 4th and 10th lores for the Aklo Script.

And here is text for Prudence Cossins's description in Y2, for players whose PC completed her Y1 adventure:

Prudence Cossins was rather lonely during her first year at the Academagia, but when she founded the Belonging Brethren, she became less lonely and was able to channel some of her aggression towards defending her new friends.

• 1 month later...

@Legate of Mineta: I made the following revision to "Neta's Perspective": replacing "a beautiful and interesting due to her shared interests as Neta Xemutre is revealing herself to you as being." with "as beautiful and interesting due to her shared interests as Neta Xemutre is revealing herself to you as being." In other words, I replaced the first word "a" with "as".