Black Chicken Studios Forums

No Explore option in calendar menu?

Von-Wulfen

Hi all I have started my first game and exploring the menus etc. 
But on my calendar for the first day, I have 3 rest actions. I have been watching the tutorial vid and in this section he chooses to explore on these free periods.
I was going to do the same but I have no explore option in the menu, many others like "Prepare, patrol, adventure etc etc but no option to explore.
Is this due in some way to how I created my character that I can't explore my surroundings?

1 minute ago, Marcus said:

Explore (action) is unlocked by having 1 in Explore (skill). Confusing isn't it...

Many thanks :) So during character creation, i needed to choose an option with exploring?

And if this is the case what do I need to choose in my character creation choices?

I can go back through character creation again if that's the case as I'm still on day one :)

No, you don't need to (although if you wish to have it unlocked right at start you must), simply train the skill using Train or some other ability. Can't remember any background traits with Explore skill ups at the moment, check the wiki.

Edit: you could choose Tutoring: Explorer, although I wouldn't recommend it just for this.

5 minutes ago, Marcus said:

No, you don't need to (although if you wish to have it unlocked right at start you must), simply train the skill using Train or some other ability. Can't remember any background traits with Explore skill ups at the moment, check the wiki.

Edit: you could choose Tutoring: Explorer, although I wouldn't recommend it just for this.

I would very much like it unlocked from the start as the exploration aspect of the game I really liked. I will try going through the character creation skills etc again :)

Getting Explore (skill) to 1 in the beginning is a good plan, but training it to that level really only requires two or three time slots. So, not really worth a point in character creation in my opinion, but sure if you have RP or other reasons to get it, go for it.

2 minutes ago, Marcus said:

Getting Explore (skill) to 1 in the beginning is a good plan, but training it to that level really only requires two or three time slots. So, not really worth a point in character creation in my opinion, but sure if you have RP or other reasons to get it, go for it.

So if I train in it. By day 2 I will be able to use the explore option? That sounds better :) I'm looking at explore in the skills and research section. It seems to have 5 subsections: Animal husbandry, cartography, climb, knots and seeking friends in hidden?

Do I need to train in each subsection to give me a point and the parent explore option?

To level a skill you need to raise at least 3 subskills a point, this raises the skill level by 1, even if the skill has more subskills than just those 3. There's also no need to train the skill itself, or rather you train subskills not the skills themselves.

For Explore, just train animal husbandry, climb and perhaps seeking friends in hidden places. Lots of skill checks for animal husbandry and climb, and seeking friends in hidden places is a college skill for Morvidus. Those offer interesting lore and abilities related to the colleges.

42 minutes ago, Marcus said:

To level a skill you need to raise at least 3 subskills a point, this raises the skill level by 1, even if the skill has more subskills than just those 3. There's also no need to train the skill itself, or rather you train subskills not the skills themselves.

For Explore, just train animal husbandry, climb and perhaps seeking friends in hidden places. Lots of skill checks for animal husbandry and climb, and seeking friends in hidden places is a college skill for Morvidus. Those offer interesting lore and abilities related to the colleges.

Many thanks :) I took cartography, climb and knots to train on my first 3 free periods of day 1. I also made a save just before choose these, think I should go back and try the ones you suggest? I choose Durand as my college if that makes any difference?

Edit: The training went well. I will be able to explore on Mondays rest period as I now have the explore option :)

So many thanks for the help :)

It's not that important. Later on it's possible to unlock more efficient training places/abilities that also train random subskills in addition to your chosen subskill, so you're bound to end up with at least some points in pretty much every skill (somewhat amusingly including Mastery and Gates). Just focus on skills that you deem important.

Durand is my favorite college :). They have negation, botany and dialectic as courses, add revision as an elective and my PC healer-to-be has many of the necessary skills trained in year 1 already. That and the amusing rivalry with Aranaz.

Anyway, colleges only influence mandatory courses and available adventures. Students from any college can learn any skill. Although, apparently the availability of courses in year 2 depends on the year 1 courses that you take. Part of the reason I'm waiting for a list of prerequisites for the year 2 courses before considering another run.

Archived