Black Chicken Studios Forums

How goes the Progress for Y2?

Rhialto

Have you considered posting anything - anything at all - of Y2 so that people other than Rhialto and Schwarzbart can have a little bit of faith that the game even exists?

I love Y1, and there are a lot of people out there who love Y1, but the decade-long wait for Y2 with not even a screenshot is tiresome and has been for years. This dance of "oh yes, things are being done and have been done" that the devs have you do, Legate, is bizarre. I understand not wanting to commit to anything, but a screenshot marked "pre-release, not all details are final" does not commit anyone to anything.

I would, frankly, be a lot more inclined to buy Y2 when it comes out if I felt that the devs were at all inclined to hear player feedback or share things with the community. During Y1's post-development patch cycle, I think we did all feel that the devs were doing a pretty good job of interfacing with the community, and things like player-written events being added in patches reinforced that feeling (although I have to admit that I wish there had been some overhauls to the more broken Y1 systems like crafting - nevertheless, community engagement was pretty high at that time!) The secrecy legitimately made sense a few years ago, to an extent, but if Rhialto and Schwarzbart hadn't been asking questions over the years we would know exactly nothing about Y2. Despite their admirable persistence, we still know very little.

Please, I'm begging you for your sake and ours - don't just stonewall every detail until launch day, whenever that is going to be, and then release the game with little fanfare onto Steam. This series deserves better.

• Like 1

Jazerus;

We've certainly talked about it, at various points. Like I said, I wouldn't think anything would change by now, but I'll certainly raise it up. Academagia's a small team, though- so spending time on this sort of engagement is less time for the game. You could argue that it's not very much time, and you'd be right- but it seems to be more than what they'd like to spend.

Nonetheless, I'll raise it at our next meeting. ;)

On 10/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

Jazerus;

We've certainly talked about it, at various points. Like I said, I wouldn't think anything would change by now, but I'll certainly raise it up. Academagia's a small team, though- so spending time on this sort of engagement is less time for the game. You could argue that it's not very much time, and you'd be right- but it seems to be more than what they'd like to spend.

Nonetheless, I'll raise it at our next meeting. ;)

When will this discussion be?

A pleasant day to you, Legate.

Coding is a time-intensive endeavor and requires a skill-set that is often expensive to outsource. Based on your previous remarks, it would appear that is the primary hurdle hindering the release of Year 2. Logically, this would be overcome through the allocation of more time - unlikely, given that updates related to Victory Belles are regularly posted on Facebook - or of more programmers. Given that the community surrounding Academagia appears to be rather invested in the release of the next installment... would Mr. Sawh and the remainder of the team be amenable to the addition of a contracted - or volunteer - programmer for dedicated work on Year 2? Presuming that the contractual expense was offset by crowdfunding or voluntary man-hours, of course.

This would give the community an outlet through which they could directly affect the game's progress in a positive manner without BCS incurring significant expense or opportunity cost.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Manadh said:

A pleasant day to you, Legate.

Coding is a time-intensive endeavor and requires a skill-set that is often expensive to outsource. Based on your previous remarks, it would appear that is the primary hurdle hindering the release of Year 2. Logically, this would be overcome through the allocation of more time - unlikely, given that updates related to Victory Belles are regularly posted on Facebook - or of more programmers. Given that the community surrounding Academagia appears to be rather invested in the release of the next installment... would Mr. Sawh and the remainder of the team be amenable to the addition of a contracted - or volunteer - programmer for dedicated work on Year 2? Presuming that the contractual expense was offset by crowdfunding or voluntary man-hours, of course.

This would give the community an outlet through which they could directly affect the game's progress in a positive manner without BCS incurring significant expense or opportunity cost.

I would happily contribute some money towards such a thing.

Manadh;

Anything is possible, but...programming consistently and on a steady cadence is difficult, especially part time or on hobby hours. It would also be somewhat challenging to onboard a new programmer into the Team.

I wouldn't place a great deal of expectations against it, but certainly we'd be interested in hearing any proposals.

Alright, questions it is then I suppose.

Have the broken/near-useless systems from Y1, such as crafting and dueling, been significantly improved? Is there a large variety of recipes to discover for crafting so that all of our more abstract skills can be put to use for things other than skill challenges? Are there combat encounters other than duels with other students?

• Like 1

J;

Crafting is significantly different, and there aren't recipes per se- instead, you know what you know, and can apply that to what you are building in various ways.

Dueling is gone, replaced by a Conflict system. Depending on what you do, there are a large number of encounters which are not related to a Duel. Some of these can be quite dangerous.

In the spirit of exploring the possibility...

What coding languages and other prerequisites would be required to work on Y2? Recognizing the need for discretion regarding estimated programming man-hours remaining, is there any other community-accessible information about Y2 that may impact our assessment of the hiring market?

• Like 1

Rhi;

Presently, you can die, but I don't think that they plan to allow that in Y2. Unless you're really into save scumming. ;)

Manadh;

C# and Firebase, that's really about it (as I understand, anyway). Other than that, there's a lot of logic and data for display- but since you play Y1, you already know that. :)

As I said, I doubt that the Team would really go this direction, but...I think they're open to proposals.

2 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhi;

Presently, you can die, but I don't think that they plan to allow that in Y2. Unless you're really into save scumming. ;)

I am using savescumming all the time in my games.

Did you miss the question "And would the team be willing to reveal how many new skills, at minimum, will be in Y2?"?