Black Chicken Studios Forums

How goes the Progress for Y2?

Rhialto

Rossa;

Yep! New characters are exchange students.

Yes, you can select certain backgrounds which are tied to nations and ethnicities, but it's not a comprehensive selector.

New characters get the usual beginning traits plus a set of traits that describes where they were and what they were doing 'last year'. You won't be as supercharged as a Y1 character that power gamed, but you'll be about average (and start with some unique things.)

That sounds really exciting. :) 
Thanks for the information Legate. Looking forward to the game when it's ready.

Just a stupid question, but will there be more character portraits for our characters in year 2?

And can we change the portrait of the characters we import or will they remain the same?

• Like 1

Since we are on the topic of importing characters. 

Will our background traits from character creation in year 1, carry over to year 2 "one to one" so to say or will they be modified or dropped entirely? 

For instance, traits like "Descended from heroes/traitors" or "Prodigy: X" etc seems like it could have an impact still down the road. 

• Like 1

That sounds reassuring. I almost never used the familiar in year 1 because already just half-optimizing a single character was quite daunting. At least for a casual player like me. 

If we get more than 1,  we might have to raise our strength actually. A pet on each shoulder, the head and the lap is a lot of weight to be carrying around. :D 

I don't know if you can talk about this, but will strength be more relevant in year 2?

For instance, will there be more skills tied to it?

Or perhaps more relevant skills at least?

Usually strength seemed so irrelevant that it might as well not have existed.

• Like 1

OBS: Legate, it seems like I accidentally wrote a wall of text. 😮 

Please get some tea before you start reading this.  👍

4 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Well... you are at a magical school, so... up to you to decide if Strength is important or not. But all the Attributes do have more Skills tied to them, yes. :)

I have to admit that I both somewhat agree and disagree with this statement Legate. 😮 

On one hand you can argue that what matters for one character does not matter for another, just like how some people pursue happiness while others pursue money or power etc. So for some characters it's definitely possible that certain things are really important, like their familiar etc, while others don't think such things are important at all. ^^ 

However it is also clear that there is an imbalance amongst the stats in year 1, which is not inherently a bad thing, but noteworthy none the less. For instance many stats are tied to intelligence, especially when it comes to classes or tied to checks that come up a lot like negation. (I don't think you can negate that :P )

If an attribute on the other hand is tied to few skills that are not impactful, for instance because their checks almost never come up, then it's fair to say that that stat is not as useful over all. 

Now you could argue that, strength seems like such a normal attribute for an RPG that keeping it is beginner friendly or simply intuitively seems correct, however if your argument is that "strength does not matter in a magic school setting", then it is possible to remove it as well since, after all, it is just a game.

Personally I don't mind strength being there as a stat. I never build strong characters personally though, since I like being cute. ❤️   However as it is right now, dumping strength seems like a no brainer even for a casual player like me and I kind of wish that it didn't.

You could argue that:  "Well, you are choosing to dump strength. Isn't that a meaningful choice?", but it doesn't feel like a choice if the character creation points are so limited and the stat is so none essential that dumping it has no impact at all.  

Anyway, at the end of the day I am quite happy to hear that strength will have more attributes tied to it in year 2, as I hope it can induce some meaningful choices. ^_^ 

Speaking of attributes. Will year 2 introduce any new attributes? :) 

OBS: I hope you enjoyed the tea. :) 

Edit: Happy to hear strength also can be used in rimball. That sounds useful. ^^ 

Edited by Rossa
I wanted to mention rimball that schwarzbart brought up in my comment before because I neglected to bring it to attention.
  • Like 1

I am happy to hear you are staying well hydrated Legate. ^_^

On the topic of skills, will there still be parent skills which only have 3 subskills?
An example is the gossip parent skill.(But don't take that from me, it's just gossip I bet. ;) )

• Like 1

That's cool. Definitely interested in that. :D 

Will the year difference between lower and higher year students have an impact mechanically, like on the social roles for instance?

Can we add people from lower years to our clique for instance?

• Like 1

Ah okay. That's a bit peculiar but maybe also a reasonable limitation. ^^ 

Have clique's been changed or made more important in any way? ?_?

In year 1, clique's provided you a list of abilities, passives or both as a function of the member's that populated it. But the clique as a whole didn't really do anything other than that. So it was kind of easy to forget it even existed unless you had to use an active ability. 😅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rossa said:

Ah okay. That's a bit peculiar but maybe also a reasonable limitation. ^^ 

Have clique's been changed or made more important in any way? ?_?

In year 1, clique's provided you a list of abilities, passives or both as a function of the member's that populated it. But the clique as a whole didn't really do anything other than that. So it was kind of easy to forget it even existed unless you had to use an active ability. 😅

You miss that your clique also help you with their skills during adventures and events in Y1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schwarzbart said:

You miss that your clique also help you with their skills during adventures and events in Y1.

Hello Schwarzbart. :) 
Are you talking about the sacrifice mechanic?
Because that's highly circumstantial(as in it's pretty rare I can even use that). However maybe it's because of my clique member choices, I'm not sure. As far as I understand their skills have to be higher than yours on the relevant check and have at least 1 relationship, then you can sacrifice them to automatically pass. Still takes an extra action since you have to improve your relationship afterwards which makes the adventure overall less efficient, but I suppose it's a reasonable expense at times.

9 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Rossa;

Generally, the Clique falls along the same lines, although there are more interactions.

More interactions? Sounds good. Will be interesting to see in action. :) 

Let's take a less serious question. Will it be possible to go to the beach? :D
My character could really use a tan and an icecream. xD