Black Chicken Studios Forums

Also unable to start adventures!

Jonathan

Hi,

I'm getting the crash on adventure bug. I've seen references to it from others in the forum, but none of the solutions mentioned appear to work. This is the current Steam version. 

To recreate:  
Load the save
Set one of the three timeslots to Adventure
Click the yellow confirm schedule button

and it will crash. The message from the log is a null reference exception in GetPossibleStoriesForCurrentDate (what an awesome function name!)  

I went back to earlier saves and found that it crashes on adventure for those as well (this is the first time I've tried an Adventure), but when I start a new save it does allow me to adventure. 

This save should only be using the latest DLC - I didn't select both at the start, only the second.

I have tried
1) Deleting the V3 cache folder... though it looks like it does it for you
2) deleting the GCC folder in the mods directory
3) Creating a new save, validating I can use Adventure, saving, and loading the old save
None of which appeared to work.

Thanks!
Jon.

Log below:

[Academagia 3.0.22.0] - [2021-05-05T20:42:35.9347792-06:00] - [Info] - System Error. Restarting application G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Academagia The Making of Mages\Academagia.exe with clear cache
[Academagia 3.0.22.0] - [2021-05-05T20:42:35.9397362-06:00] - [Error] - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Academagia.GameSystems.StorySystem.GetPossibleStoriesForCurrentDate(PersonalizedActor initiator)
   at Academagia.GameSystems.StorySystem.GetPossibleAdventuresForCurrentDate(PersonalizedActor initiator)
   at Academagia.Resolving.EntityListHelper.GetList(PersonalizedActor initiator, PersistEntity entity, Query selectionQuery)
   at Academagia.Resolving.Strategy.ResolveStrategyEx.GetList(PersistEntity entity, SelectionNode selectionNode)
   at Academagia.Resolving.Strategy.ResolveStrategyEx.ProcessChoiceNodes(PersistEntity entity, NodeItem& nodeItem)
   at Academagia.Resolving.Strategy.DefaultResolveStrategyEx.ProcessNodes()
   at Academagia.GameSystems.ResolvingSystem.Resolve(PersonalizedActor initiator, Effect effect, EffectEx effectEx, PrerequisiteWrapperBase action)
   at Academagia.Wrappers.EffectEx.Resolve()
   at Academagia.Wrappers.WrapperProvider.WrapEffect(PersistEntity initiator, Effect effect, PrerequisiteWrapperBase action)
   at Academagia.Wrappers.PrerequisiteWrapperBase.Resolve()
   at Academagia.GameSystems.GameController.CloneAndResolveAction(ActionSchedulerItem schedulerItem)
   at Academagia.GameSystems.GameController.ResolveNextDay()
   at Academagia.UI.Views.Scheduler.Scheduler.button1_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at Academagia.UI.Controls.TransparentButton.OnClick()
   at System.Windows..Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
[Academagia 3.0.22.0] - [2021-05-05T20:42:37.3591002-06:00] - [Info] - Application start with clear cache.
[Academagia 3.0.22.0] - [2021-05-05T20:42:37.6283951-06:00] - [Info] - Cache is clear.
Edited by Jonathan
Add that it's steam version

I'm 98% certain this save should only be using the latest DLC - I didn't select both at the start, only the second.  I did some research before I started as I wasn't sure what it was asking for, then actually compared the file sizes of each mod and validated the second was bigger than the first.  Always possible I could have fatfingered it somehow, but I'm fairly sure I did not.  

No mods, except for besides Summer's Blush.

I have tried
1) Deleting the V3 cache folder... though it looks like it does it for you
2) deleting the GCC folder in the mods directory
3) Creating a new save, validating I can use Adventure, saving, and loading the old save
None of which appeared to work.

• 3 months later...

Has there been any movement on this issue? I have the same problem - my current save game crashes whenever I try to adventure, and clearing cache did not help. I only have the one save, so if this save is dead then my entire playthrough is gone (and frankly, my enthusiasm for the game along with it).

Would really appreciate some assistance here.

Avasraali;

Unfortunately, no- this particular corruption bug has long plagued us, and is somehow related to trash collection. The closest we've ever come to solving it is that it is sometimes, but not always, related to how the game changes the 'cost' of a Skill Step.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is very probable that you would need to scrap that save. :(

@Legate of Mineta

Well, thank you for the prompt reply at least. For what it's worth, this seemed to occur to me because I tried to mouse over a skill (Revision, I believe) at the moment of loading my save. My prior research into trying to fix the issue suggested similar causes for others (interacting with UI).

That said, sounds like it's a dead issue. Given how miserable it is to lose a 40-hour save and the fact that it seems unlikely Year 2 will see release this decade, if ever, it would appear my relationship with Academagia is at an end.

That's what I get for messing with Gates, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Avasraali said:

@Legate of Mineta

Well, thank you for the prompt reply at least. For what it's worth, this seemed to occur to me because I tried to mouse over a skill (Revision, I believe) at the moment of loading my save. My prior research into trying to fix the issue suggested similar causes for others (interacting with UI).

That said, sounds like it's a dead issue. Given how miserable it is to lose a 40-hour save and the fact that it seems unlikely Year 2 will see release this decade, if ever, it would appear my relationship with Academagia is at an end.

That's what I get for messing with Gates, I suppose.

If you have the disk space I suggest to make 7 or more save files that you use in following order. In my last game I also encountered a save corruption without realising it for 3 or 4 ingame days, because I keep 7 days of save I still had some older save that where fine.

• Like 1