Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

There's actually about 2 dozen dummied-out skills in the game that don't serve any purpose at all other than maybe make random skill gains give you nothing because it rolled a parent skill that has no assigned subskills. If the team can't remove those, I highly doubt they can remove skills that are actively being used.

BTW, I think Lie concerns being able to speak individual untruths without being found out, whereas Deceit concerns a person's ability to actually keep a false story straight and stay in character. Now how the latter differs from Acting you're going to have to ask someone that isn't me.

Yes but those skills are so close, its a bit ridiculous how being a good liar helps as much as having max ethics to deceive someone.

I'll even add Bluff to the mix: surely being a good liar and deceiver helps to bluff right? afterall there is a part of lies and deception in bluffing.

Thats why i think those related skills should give passive bonus to the other skills:

Say you have a score of 10 in Lie Deception and 0 in bluff. You get a passive bonus of +3 for bluff and deceive with Lie at 10 and +3 for Lie and Bluff with Deceive however those passive bonus cannot be added to exceed to score of the original skill so neither Lie or Deception get bonuses as that will exceed 10 wich is the natural level of the other skill (only natural level matter).

So at the end you'll get 10 natural score for Deceive and Lie and 6 in Bluff (natural score still at 0).

That way you are an average bluffer thanks to being a good deceiver and lier but if you want to become a good bluffer you have to specificaly train the skill.

That's an idea, but that in turn will beg the question "which skills relate to which?". Further, it'll also create some skill level inflation, of which there's honestly enough already. My current character has Observation 12 and Awareness...11 I think? She also has 2 ranks in Perception with a ridiculous +7 to the skill just from passive bonuses alone. Which is silly. Helpful, but silly.

I'm kind of split at the notion of "Ethics" being something you study. While sure, reading books might give you an idea of what's right or wrong, but it shouldn't be able to go all the way.

It should be more about chocies and your reputation imo.

Actually ethics can be taught - look in particular at philosophy (and potentially religous) and old-style historical studies which try to teach various behaviours, for people to consider their actions (and even thoughts), etc. Some of it is perhaps "faking ethics" rather than "actual ethics" and some of the teaching may (from other perspectives) be "wrong ethics" but the teaching of ethics (aka indoctrination, social responsibility, etc) has been a core feature of tuition since time immemorial (not in the legal sense but the colloquial).

you gave the exact definition of ethics. There can't be a "wrong ethics" or at least not like you put it.

Ethics is like you said what a society consider right and wrong wich may vary with different societies.

A Samurai is bound to a different code (Bushido) than a European Knight (mostly Arthurian ideals) and expected to respect it. As noted the obligation may vary depending on the place you have on society and the differences are especially notable in older societies.

exemple: women are expected to obey their husband, spouses are expected to remain lawful to each other "until death", children have to obey their parents etc... (mostly universal values there).

Ethics should not be confused with Morality wich is about what is good and what is bad and more universal than the former (altough not completly)

ex: It is bad to kill. It is bad to lie etc...

Money buys the world, right? How about allow player / parent with enough money to buy a "jail free card" err I mean no detention from skipping specific class time slot?

Sure it means 3 Professor would have to appeased for normal class or 1 for extra class and player still have to write the exams with all the bad results if he don't manage the class but it allows him to do other things without fear of detention from missing class.

Especial for the Extra class it would be a nice thing if the player not have to appear because of a heavy invest in the research of the Professor.

Are you sure the Legate or other professors or Regents would like that?

While they might like "massive amounts of money" I have a feeling it would be a large amount... Also, I think the longterm repercussions might be bad.

One other thing I was thinking about.

There is this ability to visit the broken statue of P'ai or whatever her name was... What if you created a new statue in that Unfair ruling adventure? Shouldn't that ability be replaced with Visit the statue of P'ai?

Maybe it should grant you an even greater bonus if the statue and muralpaintings were perfect?

How about a Glamour Dummy that is still linked in some way with you so that you can take over control over it when it is called by the professor but because of this connection it cost 1 stress each time you use it to skip class.

This dummy have to be replaced every 3 months and only one vendor have it available. Also its clearly illegal at Academagica.

How about a Glamour Dummy that is still linked in some way with you so that you can take over control over it when it is called by the professor but because of this connection it cost 1 stress each time you use it to skip class

Maybe if you got it equiped somehow, or at least the control thingy... Orb something..

If you skip an attend class slot it costs you 3 stres, one for each class skipped. But you wont get a detention.... Also, you might get involved in Class drama just as if you had been there. Durign which the skill requirements are increased by one third because it's harder to perform through the dummy than if you had been there yourself.

It could be interesting, also sounds complicated to create.

Then you can hav ean adventure and a calss event at the same time and it would make sense. Right now we can skip classes and still get class events!

Also, a craftign adventure seems obligatory for such a dummy! I'm sure it coudl be fun and I'm also certain a lot ofthings could potentialy go wrong! It would have to be a very convincing dummy to fool both students and professors... Maybe the dummy could look like it's a little sick which would explain it's relative pasivity and make it less noticable and glaring...

Or maybe you could force your familiar to help you control it... But that would probably make it even more complicated!

Math professor: Albert, what's 2+2?

Hawk: Arn't you supposed to know that?

Math professor: *Glares*

Hawk: 5!

Math professor: You really don't look well today, maybe you should go to the infirmary, you arn't behaving like yourself.

Money buys the world, right? How about allow player / parent with enough money to buy a "jail free card" err I mean no detention from skipping specific class time slot?

Sure it means 3 Professor would have to appeased for normal class or 1 for extra class and player still have to write the exams with all the bad results if he don't manage the class but it allows him to do other things without fear of detention from missing class.

Especial for the Extra class it would be a nice thing if the player not have to appear because of a heavy invest in the research of the Professor.

It could works but only if done secretly after all corruption is generally badly seen even in those days, you know... the whole "ethics" thing ;)

The issue is whether your parents would do such a thing - they are after all paying (a lot I suspect) of money to get you the "proper" education and letting you skip class isn't part of their plan - different cultures have different views on education but back in my father's day the general rule was "tell your father you got beaten at school and he'd clobber you for embarrassing the family" - although that was at a grammar school where education was taken seriously.

My idea a bit worked out how I would do it in year 1:

The player buy a head / hat item and a hand item each costing 900 pim.

The head item is the connection and the hand item is the puppet.

The puppet have a Size rating of 6. (Edit was Conceal before)

To activate the item one have to equipped both and then spend 1 timeslot where the puppet get adjusted.

After the activation the puppet vanish from the inventory and the head item set to price 0 pim and a duration of 3 month, the head item give also a 30% higher chance for Random Events and a -3 to Concentration.

Now the player can skip a class at the cost of 1 -2 stress per timeslot maybe depend on a instinct roll.

(Edit: perhaps add 3 stress and on a Insight + Instinct roll vs 4,8,12 each success remove 1 Stress)

As mentioned above all items are flagged as illegal so you lose them as soon you get a reprimand.

Edited by Schwarzbart

@metis its about not getting detention from skipping class because the puppet take it for you.

I.e. in patch 128 after a lot of skipping class you need to go to class for at last 2 week that you can skip class again without to high risk of detention.

Its also a RPG tool.

If spending 2 time slot, the money and the stress for up to 120 timeslots taken from class that don't add to your chance of getting detention is not worth it to you then be it.

In year 2 if you go with 2 extra class it might even a absolute necessarily to have such a way to reasonable play such a char.

@metis its about not getting detention from skipping class because the puppet take it for you.

I.e. in patch 128 after a lot of skipping class you need to go to class for at last 2 week that you can skip class again without to high risk of detention.

Its also a RPG tool.

If spending 2 time slot, the money and the stress for up to 120 timeslots taken from class that don't add to your chance of getting detention is not worth it to you then be it.

In year 2 if you go with 2 extra class it might even a absolute necessarily to have such a way to reasonable play such a char.

I kind of like that as a way of managing your time. You are there for all classes one way or another.

If you got extra classes then it might be best to actualy go to the professor on your own since a private tutor such as a professor might not be the best to send a doll to for a one on one training and assisting the professor in his/her research.

The professors events might requier higher skill rolls all around to begin with. If you add a doll skill penalty you might get into problems. Nevermidn that the professor will be focusing on you a lot more than if there had been 20 other students to talk to.

I would solve it by sending the doll on the normal classes and have this magical virtual link to the doll. That way you can remote control the doll for any "interesting" events that have to be dealt with. Meanwhile you are helping a bunch of farmers figure out why their farmland sudenly got so improductive.

You would then be able to attend classes, take extra tutoring sessions and go on adventures. Then every once in a while you take one time slot to get some rest.

It would be a very interesting way to manage school.... It kind of reminds me of that Herione... Whatever her name was in Harry potter. I think she did some time manipulation or something to manage.

As the owner of that dummy you would be able to use it for whatever strikes your fancy. Nevermidn the fact that the professors will be convinced that you took class that day... In case you get suspected for doing something bad, be it a prank or even Mastery/gates.

What are you talking about! Professor Storey can confirm that attended his advanced revision class that morning. I even performed a demonstration of a spell for the class, I think most of the students can confirm it unless they were sleeping in class!

Investigator: Ah, I see, sorry for bothering you.

Will Adrian Wexley return in year 2?

The Physician, who was sceptical agaisnt all the magic and potion cures. Ok, manybe not entierly sceptical, but he had his own ways. Chirurgery and medicine that might help agaisnt things that might be hard to fix with magic or potions.

It would be great if a Chameleon familiar that know some Calligraphy be able to use its mimicry to let some text appear on it self like "follow me"?

@Albert Many Adventures will have a continue in year 2 but some not necessary right from version 1.0 (especial the player created one from year 1 will probably come later)

Freespace pointed this piece of Lore out in the writers corner.

"The Aspiring Arthmancer

No subject in Academagia is as wide spread, and sometimes lamentable, as Mathematics. Quite frankly, there’s a disturbing number of students who wonder what the purpose of Mathematics is, in a world where variables are changed as swiftly as a wave of a wand.

What is the purpose of learning what 2 + 2 equals… when a defiant young wizard can put four apples into a basket, wave his wand, and suddenly there will be five? How can you begin to say 2 + 2 does not equal 5 when the boy can say: “Sure it does. Look!”

In practical, non-magic application - Math is a discipline that is invaluable. Mathematicians have the prestige given to potentates and merchant princes, and ever more advanced algorithms are daily being created to understand natural phenomenon. But for mages, the importance of Mathematics has often been dismissed.

That was until a brilliant young mage named Horace Godfreed began to look at magic in a non-practical way. He began to see how words and gesticulations were used to formulate spells and realized, at its core, magic is mathematically based. How to say the words of power were a function of when to wave the wand or hand.

A wizard who has ingrained formulae into their heads could produce amazing results with spells, doubling - sometimes even tripling their efficiency. Later chapters give examples of how Arthmancy can be applied to the mainstream schools of study."

Will there be Arithmancy in year 2? perhaps as an advanced continuation of Mathematics? I have a feeling mathematical Geniuses could benefit greatly from something like that. Might even make for a small adventure for that background. Even if that background wouldn't have an exclusive to the adventure, maybe an additional "Investigation" choice where the Genius who sees numbers differently gets a chance of sucess boost to a difficult Arithmancy roll. Or maybe the ability to do a double roll and use the better roll.

Since you can visualise your mathematics you can more easily doublecheck your "calculation in your mind".