Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

@Legate of Mineta: I wrote out the adventure involving the hypothetical memory Neta and Zoe; you can read it here: http://academagia.invisionzone.com/topic/3747-rhialtos-marvelous-writings/?do=findComment&comment=73512. I hope that it will encourage the team to modify my adventure "Neta Xemutre Ends an Activity" in order to add the memory Neta and Zoe. And fear not - Zoe does not express any feelings about taking any vest!

If a more advanced wizard who already has multiple familiars ends up using the Gift of the Familiar, do they lose the other bond? Can they just not make any new bonds?

I personal would there go with the shared bound way what means that you only can sacrifice all familiar in one go but with a stronger return the more familiar you have. This would also mean that all familiar need a bound of 10 or higher.

That seems really cool for people who are just doing it for the power.

Immersively though, the Gift is mostly known to be used when a familiar is dying. It's tragic and emotional to think of a wizard giving up their ability to form future bonds, so that they can cling onto the last scraps of their familiar's energy. But I don't see the same way a wizard killing their other familiars who might all be doing fine, in order to not let go of the one familiar who is dying.

On the other hand, I don't think we've heard any hint that it's possible for familiars to die yet, so it's probable that any players who do it are actually just doing it for the stats. So it would need to be separation between the lore and the way that the ability actually works. 

5 hours ago, Good Coyote said:

That seems really cool for people who are just doing it for the power.

Immersively though, the Gift is mostly known to be used when a familiar is dying. It's tragic and emotional to think of a wizard giving up their ability to form future bonds, so that they can cling onto the last scraps of their familiar's energy. But I don't see the same way a wizard killing their other familiars who might all be doing fine, in order to not let go of the one familiar who is dying.

On the other hand, I don't think we've heard any hint that it's possible for familiars to die yet, so it's probable that any players who do it are actually just doing it for the stats. So it would need to be separation between the lore and the way that the ability actually works. 

the thing here is that you can replace your familiar any time. So if it die normal you just loose your investment but you can start over with a new familiar, something we already can do in Y1!  The gift is meant in my opinion when the magus is in deadly danger that the familiars offer them self so that the magus can go on although with the bound permanent broken. (Probably the magus can offer them self also to save the familiar given that the bound work both ways)

I think it would be great when the player switched the  familiar and had Pamela ,with both quest finished, or the stone would have both familiar at the start of year 2 but with a affliction to the bound skill. This affliction should only go away once the character actual have the skill to handle 2 familiar.

Maybe the player would also be forced to take the Advance Familiar Handling Class as the 1st free pick for class unless (s)he is from Morvidus.

15 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

the thing here is that you can replace your familiar any time. So if it die normal you just loose your investment but you can start over with a new familiar, something we already can do in Y1!  The gift is meant in my opinion when the magus is in deadly danger that the familiars offer them self so that the magus can go on although with the bound permanent broken. (Probably the magus can offer them self also to save the familiar given that the bound work both ways)

Yes, you can simply not use the Gift, and go forward and replace your familiar. But that's what make the Gift a sacrifice for both the wizard and the familiar, in those specific circumstances. It doesn't make sense tactically. It's better to invest time in a new familiar. But it's because you love that familiar.

You're right though that this also sounds like a specific scenario that is also very interesting, in a way I didn't think of.. maybe both are needed

@Legate of Mineta: I have already written some material in which the PC's interactions with other characters has been distorted by the PC's study of Gates Magic - fear/depression with Zoe Melis and sly jokes/hints from Sima Venesico. I have a third proposal: Lambert Cobo, with a good relationship with the PC (including perhaps affection) may try to hint to a PC who has completed the Ghost's adventure during Y1 that he wants to try doing gates magic again. Several options may be presented, but if the PC accept (indirectly), then Lambert would reveal himself to be a coward and back out. Would this be acceptable as content?

@Legate of Mineta: I hope that formally revealing to Miya Hikari that one is gates mage has been planned. I think that Miya's first thoughts upon learning such a thing would be, "Can he/she teleport into bank vaults". After all, Miya is already interested in secretive, dangerous, and illegal activities punishable by death.

I hope in all adventures and events it is also considered that there player character who want to keep it a secret from the other students that he / she knows forbidden magic! After all a person that knows that the player learn forbidden magic hold the live of the player in the hand and so it something very stupid to do to give other students a hint that you know this magic unless the ban is lifted.

Edit: Wasn't it even told during the pre adventure to join the gate school that if it is ever revealed that you know about this magic you have to go into hiding, and so drop out from Academagia, to prevent that you will reveal where to find other gate mages?

Edit2: After I think trough it I think it would be a good thing if the player is reminded early in Y2 about the consequences if he ever reveal or it is revealed that (s)he know forbidden magic.