Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

It's all in the quest itself, you just have to do some math...IIRC

That's a tough one since you don't know how powerful it was back then when they started compared to now. Still, I'm surprised a student could just reach a hand through and pull it out when they still seem to think more work needs to be done. But it's described as flickering and fading from the description(if I remember correctly).

Would say they are pretty close, there isn't much data to do math on imo. But they certainly wern't fast at their work, still, even slow people tend to finish eventually if they are dedicated enough.

Anyway, it needs a continuation where to do something with the book, one way or another. Waiting til year 2 seems crazy ;) Let's take a summer break first, then I can give it some more thought!

Then again, considering they had been bashing that bubble for decades they might be just as slow at tracking down the book again.

I suggest putting it in a vault of Lich killing. With enchantments that attack them after they reach a certain point and vaporises them.

Sorry I have not read through the entire thread so I don't know if any of these have been mentioned yet.

1) Sorting system for Abilities, Spells, Actions. - Sorting things by skill would be more useful than alphabetically. I understand nothing could be done for y1 but maybe future years?

2) Making items lockable so you do not accidently sell it...... Especially when it is irreplaceable. (Maybe special icons for special items as well)

3) Larger text font. I know how make the text font larger for the story, but I can not read the options I am to choose from. I have even changed my screen resolution to try to fix this (Which I should not be required to do)

3) You can not read the text for the items in stores. If you can not make it bigger than you a sans serif font. Those are known to be easier to be read.

4) And easier way to track quest lines. I know sometimes the ones you are working on change colors, but not all of them do.

5) Maybe an undo last click because sometimes I cant see what I am clicking on and click the wrong one. It would be useful. I would not expect it for the final, but for adventures with many selections it would be useful.

6) Maybe an ability that allows you to share some of your experience with your familiar. I don't know that much about them. It is too much of a pain to level them and me at the same time. If we leveled together it would be very handy.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I love the game though!

Schwarzbart;

Good point- I will point it out to the Team, and see if they want to update that.

Zoo;

All of these have been mentioned by other Academagians, and we're delighted to say that most have fixes in Y2, especially related to sorting, font and the UI in general.

Familiar leveling still isn't paired in Y2, but it's a neat idea, since they are probably with you all the time anyway. ;)

Thanks!

1)

Zoo;

Alas, that's not possible for Y1. Y2 has a much more advanced system of organization, including text searches, but that is for the future. ;)

2) You can always check the item's description before you sell something, and I think if you do sell something to a shop you can always buy it back later since stores don't refresh their inventory. Otherwise you can try to make sure that, every time you visit a shop, you either equip or stuff every item you want to keep on your person/in your wardrobe, and make it a point to never sell items you have equipped directly.

3) 'Nother one of those things that cannot be changed in Y1, IIRC. I think Windows has a...what's it called, build-in zoom glass feature? Looking glass? Magnifying glass? Something to focus the screen a little. In my experience it just makes text too blurry to make out, but you could give it a shot.

4) Hover over an adventure and it'll generally tell you if you've completed any stages of that adventure previously, which is a dead sign that you're doing that adventure, but yeah. Beyond that "cannot be changed in Y1" IIRC.

5) Not sure if such a feature would even work, given the whole rolling system. Really can't give any advice on that one beyond-

...oh, hi there Legate, nice timing <_<. Don't suppose you bring PM news, do you?

Beyond being careful, really. Although are you really having problems seeing the options you're clicking on?

6) Look into the Lend Attribute abilities, you'll find them on the Wiki in the Bond skillset. They'll allow the PC to "lend" an attribute point to his/her Familiar for a massive bonus, which makes teaching the Familiar skills much easier. Highly recommended if you're trying to teach your Familiar many skills or high-difficulty skills that s/he's got rubbing attribute points for.

6) there already a few ability and action that give your char and the familiar some skill at the same time. Explore with your Familiar, Study Armor and Explore the Forest of Broke Pines to name some. But personal I mostly use Improved Familiar Handling and Entertain to train the familiar.

Sprite Bond Adventure 01-04 sound like its one evening but each step need a new adventure call. So I suggest to make them in one go unless the player fail.

The Hawks Adventure where it Visits the Hoepoe or whatever the bird supreme leader of the School area was called... Anyway, after you get past the Falcon that's guarding the tunnel the Adventure ends as your familiar is moving through the tunnel.

While it's a good place for getting suspense and the beginning of a new chapter so to speak, it doesn't seem like a good break in an adventure to stop in the tunnel and continue one day or a few days later. It's definitely supposed to be the same day or afternoon.

The court visit should probably have happened on the same day/adventure. At the same time I don't want to take away too much work time from year 2 ;)

Familiar events or the possibility of taking your familiar with you on an adventure instead of a Clique friend (an option) would be an alternative.

If the familiar has the required basic skills to assist you then it could get a stats boost or a skill boost just like any other character.

There is one type of Adventure in particular where a familiar would be your best ally... When you're exploring forbidden arts, like Mastery or Gates.

While your friends might be best to be keept in the dark about those things, your familiar can be expected to be loyal to the end. Unless you treat it really poorly and it somehow breaks the bond. Not sure how that would happen or if/how it would work.

That reminds me... How does gift of the familiar work on a Ghost or a Shade? Would it die? Would you consume it's soul or... something? Or would it fail because the ghost can't share it's energies with the living?

Given that they are already kind off dead. It seems they should be immune to the effect...

Or a Doll that seems to be more of an enchanted artificial being.

Familiar events or the possibility of taking your familiar with you on an adventure instead of a Clique friend (an option) would be an alternative.

If the familiar has the required basic skills to assist you then it could get a stats boost or a skill boost just like any other character.

There is one type of Adventure in particular where a familiar would be your best ally... When you're exploring forbidden arts, like Mastery or Gates.

While your friends might be best to be keept in the dark about those things, your familiar can be expected to be loyal to the end. Unless you treat it really poorly and it somehow breaks the bond. Not sure how that would happen or if/how it would work.

That reminds me... How does gift of the familiar work on a Ghost or a Shade? Would it die? Would you consume it's soul or... something? Or would it fail because the ghost can't share it's energies with the living?

Given that they are already kind off dead. It seems they should be immune to the effect...

Or a Doll that seems to be more of an enchanted artificial being.

I'd love specific "forbidden arts" adventures.

By the way a shade isn't dead! It was never truly human to begin with. As for a ghost it has some sort of essence allowing it to interact with the world, that essence could be either dispersed or destroyed. If this setting even has souls, then that soul could then move on to wherever it goes.

Although from the description of the spell it sounds to me like the familiar is absorbed into the caster, and as such making them one, so if a ghost has a soul then it would probably be absorbed as well.

If class skipping is such a thing that will be added to the document that you take home to you parrents and which might have other effects. Maybe it could be possible to use your sneaky spy skills/infiltration to get a hold of your attendance reports and modify them slightly, perhaps not a perfect attendance if you were horrible, but slightly better to still make it believable to the people handing out the grades. Instead of just tricking your parents it would do even more to trick everyone.(Your family would then have the same papers as the school and there would be less risk of getting into trouble if you succeed) You have to make sure you don't fail!

I noticed that you could manipulate your teachers rolecall report in one of the class events. Maybe it would be possible to intercept that documentation and "revision". I'm sure the attendance reports arn't as closely guarded and safely keept as the grades and test results. That is, before the official grades are put to paper for each student.

I'm sure each professor sends their reports and documentation to a clerk or the Legate for finalising into a proper consolidated document.

Gossip check (To find out where the documents might be)

Infiltration check (to get into the Clerks office before it's sent to the Legate for signature and stamps.)

Filing Check (to find your papers quickly)

Forgery Check (to make "corrections" on your attendance reports) Alternatively use Revision(though it might be the lesser choice since that might leave a magical marker)

Escape artist (to get out of there in time without notice as someone is coming your way)

Result, Your grades are basically the same, but your attendance looks a lot better. It might cost you a point of Ethics though (If you had any before this that is)

A failure at any of these steps should have fairly serious consequences.

Risk VS reward.

A bad escape artist roll for example would get you out of there but it would arouse suspicion.

Perhaps resulting in the Clerk taking another pass at the papers, at which point a poor forgery or Revision would be noticed. Which would initiate a second roll on which ever path you took for that.

Escape artist well and you won't have to run a second roll on the forgery/revision work.

At the ceremony where the grades are handed out the Legate would be calling students up, sign it and put on a stamp or whatever(magical seal maybe to authenticate the document)

The Legate might say something like, Excellent grades, but I see you missed a few classes, you should work on that ;)

Your professors who are most likely there would each be thinking, "quite a few!" But think it's a reasonable assessment even if the comment isn't based on what they thought they sent in. Months or Years later the details won't be as fresh in their minds either.

I don't know if class skipping is something the PCs parents are informed of. Besides, if you manage to skip, say, half the year's classes but still rank #1 on all exams what does that tell them?

I think it depends on your parents. Some might be more strict and value responsibility and duty higher than others. I would expect those of noble background to demand such qualities from their kids, as welcome as high grades might be otherwise. Possibly those with military backgrounds as well.

Especially when other people can take notice of your flaws.

I have a few suggestions. I don't know if they are possible but I figured I would throw them out there.

For types of colleges and classes: In stead of just listing what is available; why not make it like a mini questionnaire. It can still use the select options. These are just silly examples.

Are you the more physical type who enjoys sports?

Do you wish to know more about the plant life and what you can use them for?

Would you rather take control the flow of energy around you and make it into something?

These are just random questions but they are also a simplistic explanation of what a class would teach. If the startup is set so you can choose more interactively, I think i would make it more interesting. The end result could recommend a college for you and even have your classes selected. Obviously you could still change them, but to me this idea puts more realism into the game. Instead of being stuck staring at colleges wondering what to choose.

Infact you could make the whole background set up lead up to helping chose the best college for you.

~

The next idea I had is: When it comes to quests. Is there a way that if you are following a quest chain, when you select adventure again have it already load the next segment there? If you are following multiple adventure chains then have it default to the first on the list of active chains?