Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I suspect there will be even tutoring services outside of Academagia if the money is right.

Not every finished Student will find a suitable job right after finished with the learning at Academagia and some might even have fun in educating the young but want to stay outside of Academagia for different reason.

(I had my own idea while back about a external tutoring service but never put it together but maybe the team have picked it up for a later year.)

I created a familiar tutoring/school adventure, where an Uncle paid for a day of intensive social skills training for your familiar, by a very experienced trainer.

Maybe the family just wanted to help, or maybe they had past experiences with poorly socialized familiars causing trouble.and wanted to make sure this one won't be a problem.

Probably won't be enough, but you know, good intentions and all.

I created a familiar tutoring/school adventure, where an Uncle paid for a day of intensive social skills training for your familiar, by a very experienced trainer.

Maybe the family just wanted to help, or maybe they had past experiences with poorly socialized familiars causing trouble.and wanted to make sure this one won't be a problem.

Probably won't be enough, but you know, good intentions and all.

There at least 2 students (Milena and Zoe) offering a tutoring service, exterior schools (Estaban's, Schohanwicht, etc) so I would expect tutoring opportunities abound, either for the PC to give or take (depending on their skill set).

• 2 weeks later...

Tutoring and homework aid/studyhelp seems like better complements for an Academagia student in most cases. Because Schools would usualy be somewhere you got to eventualy get a grade. Maybe they would allow you to attend and not give a damn about an exam... Not sure.

The Gates school is probably the one that makes most sense for being outside the Academagia. Where you actualy study like if it was a normal school.Seeing as they are pulling students from different parts of the world through long range teleportation I guess they got different lectures and study sessions for different time zones to fit students with different needs since most would be expected to continue a life outside the Gates school where they don't draw attention to themselves and appear as normal as possible.

I was thinking, if friendships degreade, maybe finnishing student adventures should add a reputation minimum increase buffer at one or two which it wouldn't degrade below unless you perform hostile actions.

I know such thigns don't exist atm, but people who were good friends long ago tend to remain on friendly terms long after even if they drift appart due to life happening.

Maybe something for later years if nothing else?

Ummmm yeah, I used that ability that gets you an exotic familiar on my last student and traded the Rock to a Hawk.

One thing though, the try to get rid of your rock ability is still there. I can understand if the Rock is bound to you as long as you havn't bonded with another familiar. But it actually makes sense that trading familiar and bonding to another actually breaks the bond, or at least the primary bond.

I kind of wonder. If you switch familiar, no matter what familiar the old one or new one is, what happens to the old one? Does it become a normal whatever it was before the bonding or somethign in between or does some of the bond remain? What about the life span of creatures, like a mouse for example. They live short lives but if they become a familiar they might get a longer life. Will that remain with them if the bond is transfered to another creature?

If that rock want's back... I immagine it would be a problem for your new familiar if it wants to stay. Familiar adventure maybe? May the strongest bond prevail... There can only be one! Unless the Wizard is trained to handle more than one I guess...

I'm so glad I came up with Mr. Pebbles. He really rounds out the Familiar list. The team must really love him. hehe....

Say, legate, I know that a lot of the discussions that the team has is [redacted] right now because of spoilers and such, but do you think that after Y5 is finished. You might consider releasing a few recordings of the more interesting discussions BCS has had in the overal development of Academagia? Just an idea.

Also, This is probably a moot point, but, when it comes to adventures, I can remember the titles of my favorite ones, but in my more agressive playthoughs, it would really help if they had some descriptor on them, like [student adventure] or [main adventure] or [college adventure] or [miscellaneous] Just... Something to give a hint as to where that adventure came from if you really want to do it.

I know it's impossible to do anything about in Y1, and I also equally figure it's highly probable that Y2 will already be like that, and it doesn't matter for the most part so long as you can memorise every single adventure, but, I figured, 'why not ask?'

I'm so glad I came up with Mr. Pebbles. He really rounds out the Familiar list. The team must really love him. hehe....

Say, legate, I know that a lot of the discussions that the team has is [redacted] right now because of spoilers and such, but do you think that after Y5 is finished. You might consider releasing a few recordings of the more interesting discussions BCS has had in the overal development of Academagia? Just an idea.

Also, This is probably a moot point, but, when it comes to adventures, I can remember the titles of my favorite ones, but in my more agressive playthoughs, it would really help if they had some descriptor on them, like [student adventure] or [main adventure] or [college adventure] or [miscellaneous] Just... Something to give a hint as to where that adventure came from if you really want to do it.

I know it's impossible to do anything about in Y1, and I also equally figure it's highly probable that Y2 will already be like that, and it doesn't matter for the most part so long as you can memorise every single adventure, but, I figured, 'why not ask?'

I think I sugested something like that a while back, and it would be really nice to have something like that. I think the answer was that there would be more to go on when picking Adventures... If I remember correctly.

The Academagia and colleges sounds like such huge places, even though the school is only accepting a hundred or so students each year. I get it that it's a very old place with old closed down sections.

But still....

Maybe they used to take in more students back in the old "Glory days" of the empire. Vernin was the College of many towers and most of the colleges sounds like they used to be a lot bigger in the past.

Is this part the changing world with magic in decline? Fewer students and wizards? Fewer magical creatures. Or is it just Orso Orsi's way or changing the school for more Quality and less quantity(which would cause him less trouble, issues and bothers)

Maybe it's been a long ongoing trend even. It sounds like it's been declining for a very long time tbh.

I have a feeling it was a decline that started after Gates and Mastery was banned and there was a movement for controling magic and growing concern with magic being available for everyone.

If the non-Steam version gets the same UI updates won't that make neither special or distinct? The only way the Steam version would be different is that it'd include Steam's brand of DRM, and I don't think "Academagia: Steam DRM Special Edition" is going to draw too much of a crowd. Nor will making the UI updates exclusive to a Steam-only "special version".

No the plan is to get the people away from thinking its a old game only worth at max 5$ to actual think its worth to pay the full price because of the major engine rework.

Also Academagia had some bad reviews because of the old 1.0 Version that is long past and a Reborn or Enhanced Edition reduce the weight of this extrem old reviews.

Most important such a rename gives some game tester the reason to look again at the game and make a new review based on what they see now.

And to last yes it gives people who are not happy with the store they bought the game previous (i.e. because they can't access the games they bought there) the reason to buy the game again.

Sure there might be even some people who buy this game again because the forgotten that they have the old game laying around or think the game is worth to give the extra money but over all that should be the minority as we old owner will get the update for free.

I wouldn't call "just" a few UI changes a major engine rework, and in a sense even the Legate said as much:

The UI is partially revamped, actually- it's done and ready for the release. Essentially, the UI now scales, you can click and drag all the windows wherever you like them, and resize them, too. That's what was 'easily' portable to Y1.

Distancing from old, negative reviews I can understand, but unless the UI changes and/or content packs addressed the reasons why they were negative they'd still apply to the "enhanced" version. Admittedly the non-scaling UI and the crazy difficulty of 1.0 adventures (especially when limited to them) are issues that were raised at least here on the forum, and as the quote above confirms the non-scaling UI has been fixed and the content packs certainly added a boatload of more accessible adventures, but I doubt those were the only concerns brought up. And unless those concerns were fixed people will either learn to take the old reviews (at least mostly) as still applicable facts, or write new reviews that overall won't be too different from the old ones in terms of score.

And speaking of the price, slapping "enhanced edition" somewhere to justify what the Steam people perceives as a 500% price markup isn't going to work if people will overlook the game entirely as a result because their search for games starts at $0.99 and goes up until they find something shiny. Because Steam is full of shiny. There's definitely a greater profit to be made when you can sell twice the number at 75% the normal price, especially because that'd be that many more people who could potentially be interested in Y2 and beyond, of course there's an equal profit to be lost when it turns out that a 25% discount attracts a grand total of 5% more sales. Of course I can't say how the numbers will end up rolling and consequently what price range is best, but I can say that higher price doesn't necessarily equate a higher profit. Though it might -_-. Team's discretion on that one, I just hope one of them studied economics significantly more than I did.

I don't think there's any harm to an enhanced version, if current users have a free upgrade- that's my opinion, anyway. :)

It suggests some improvements, which I do think, on the whole, it represents. It much rarer to see a reboot, but you constantly see enhanced and ultimate editions which contain just DLC in the market.

I want to get on that travel adventure in Year 2, as short or long as it might be. Sounds like an opportunity to see thigns and gain a new appreciation for thigns that your character didn't consider noticing on the trip to the Academagia but which they might see with totaly new eyes due to better understanding of society, languages, history, enginneering, magic and other things that might allow you to appreciate things in totaly new ways.

Even things in your parrental home and family etz might suddenly be viewed through completely new eyes. Maybe you suddenly gained a better understanding of the politics or economics of your family and the people they interact with on a daily basis.

When you left you were more or less a naive kid, now you may or may not be able to see things from a different perspective. Also, Sibling mechanics might have changed as you changed, or you might have gained the proper tools to change them in whatever way you prefer..

Not shafting old users is definitely a good idea, but that doesn't mean the change in subtitle might not cause trouble anyway if it's not presented correctly. If it's made clear that it's just "all DLC packs already included", well, in this day and age it'd likely be comforting to know that you'll have all the content included and unlocked/unlockable from the outset, even if it's not hard to achieve otherwise. So few games do these days...

Alternatively, if the words "enhanced edition" are (perceived to be) used to justify a first week pricetag for a game that's several years past it's prime (which I personally wouldn't say Academagia is, but than again I can tolerate Daggerfall to the point of completing the game twice while I can't tolerate Skyrim enough to even look in it's general direction, so grain of salt and all that...), which customers can't contest because of digital distribution shenanigans, well, that'll go over less well. Sure, supply and demand, but people that play games are no more saints than the people that publish them. Especially the ones that have time to complain because they don't understand the greatness that is Daggerfall and games like Daggerfall. Yes, I'm a bit of a fan, what of it?