Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

"1. Pelia can be playersexual, though at this point in her life anything having to do with romance is far from the forefront of her concerns.  She was basically perfectly happy to stay locked in a puberty-free time loop, to try to save her dad; she's not going to admit to deserving romance or an adult life until she's had a lot of forced self-examination.

2.  See point 1.  Quasi-dates in the sense of "she happens to be out with the player and she finds herself grudgingly having a good time" seems credible, but anything that was more overtly about hand-holding and looking into one anothers' eyes would probably be a stretch.  At least as a part of the original invitation.

3.  Gut reaction: Aventyrare wouldn't beat her, and probably wouldn't threaten to do so.  Aventyrare might panic, flip out, and blow up a lot of inanimate objects in the immediate vicinity while shouting "This could be you!" though.  Basically, if the message is "This kind of violence will be done to you if you aren't careful!" that seems right; if the message is "I will personally beat the phemes out of you if you aren't careful!" it's probably not the case."

10 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

"1. Pelia can be playersexual, though at this point in her life anything having to do with romance is far from the forefront of her concerns.  She was basically perfectly happy to stay locked in a puberty-free time loop, to try to save her dad; she's not going to admit to deserving romance or an adult life until she's had a lot of forced self-examination.

2.  See point 1.  Quasi-dates in the sense of "she happens to be out with the player and she finds herself grudgingly having a good time" seems credible, but anything that was more overtly about hand-holding and looking into one anothers' eyes would probably be a stretch.  At least as a part of the original invitation.

3.  Gut reaction: Aventyrare wouldn't beat her, and probably wouldn't threaten to do so.  Aventyrare might panic, flip out, and blow up a lot of inanimate objects in the immediate vicinity while shouting "This could be you!" though.  Basically, if the message is "This kind of violence will be done to you if you aren't careful!" that seems right; if the message is "I will personally beat the phemes out of you if you aren't careful!" it's probably not the case."

Many thanks for this advice. It is very helpful, and I am relieved to say, not in any way contrary to my plans for the farewell scenes. To the contrary, the suggestions enhance my confidence for writing precisely because they confirm to me that I am understanding the characters and situation so well.

@Legate of Mineta, may I incorporate some variation of the phrase "she happens to be out with the player and she finds herself grudgingly having a good time" into my scenes? It is such a perfect encapsulation of how I want Pelia to respond to such a proposal from a PC with the Trait Prodigy: On the Prowl.

@Legate of Mineta: Would it be rather too dark for me to write content in which Sima would suggest that her family is rather prone to feuds and crimes against each other (rather like the Sima clan from Chinese history)? I mean, in Y1 she describes her uncle as an evil man whom she is protecting an artifact from, so similar allegations would not be out of character for her. Although how true the claim in Y1 or any similar claims that I might write would be for Sima, I have no idea - Sima is an aspiring actress after all...

4 minutes ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhi;

"No, not at all.

In fact, Rikildis had done enough research to be able to argue that it was a minor Aranaz tradition going back to at least the early 14th century, and mentioned semi-jokingly in a 15th century biography as "the Brancaccio Stratagem."  The idea (according to Benedetto Brancaccio, a 14th century Count of Ghiera/Chiera and an Academy graduate) was that the master of each pillar in the Academy was best understood not as a teacher but as a prince in command of a particularly subtle domain - and each student was therefore a potential courtier or soldier.  It behooves the intelligent courtier to learn which court is worth joining, and to build enough of a reputation to be sought after rather than to come as an anonymous petitioner."

Can there be some sort of achievement in Y5 for completing a character's time at the Academagia while never formally studying a pillar of magic (including at Contu's school or the Schohanwicht)?

On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Rhialto said:

@Legate of Mineta: Given how foreign the Triplets are seeming to be, and how exotic their fields of knowledge are, I was thinking that it would not be inappropriate for Sima Venesico to know about (and extremely obliquely comment about) what her name means in Cyve's equivalent of Chinese. Would this be acceptable?

Could I have Sima do this with the Saisynian (i.e., Persian) meaning of her name? My latest story for the game would work wonderfully if Sima were aware that her name means "face" in another language.

@Legate of Mineta: In my writings about Rikildis von Kiep, I have suggested that she, if in a romantic relationship (insofar as the rules would permit such a thing), would be prone to paranoia and accusations of cheating - because, I imagine, such stories must be common among the newspapers that she reads and edits, and Rikildis's Y1 adventure reveals her to be very ruthless against people denying her what she thinks is her due. Is this a reasonable interpretation of her character?

I would just like to provide a quote from Iustus' Y1 student adventure:

How dare Rikildis publish that terrible column!

You must confront this gossip monger if you want all the good you've done for Iustus to not go in vain. Poor Iustus looks just as stressed as he did before you helped him.

You approach Rikildis, who's coolly eyeing a smooching couple in the far corner.

"You know," she says before you can speak. "That older student right there is cheating on her with someone younger. Can you say scandal? Hmph. Love is a fickle thing to be sure."

You pause at first, a little intimidated by Rikildis's penetrating gaze.

Wait.... This is for Iustus. You shake off your anxiety.

You tell Rikildis that you think her new column is horrible.

"Oh? My new column?" she says. "If you were more literate, you'd see it was a letter to the editor. I can see why you're upset, considering you're best friends with Iustus, but I'm afraid I'll continue running it."

Can't she see the harm it's doing to him? What would it take to make her to stop running the letters?

"Oh...perhaps a little money would change my mind," she says, a wicked grin spreading across her face. "Of course, I value my freedom to publish whatever I want at about 999,999,999 pims."

You gape at her.

"Go away, [PC NAME]," she says. "You're not going to change my mind."

-Character Study.  What's with this girl?
--How is someone so young, so cynical? Judging from what you know about her, you'd say that although Rikildis seems cynical, she's actually quite an idealist.

She has high regard for free speech, high regard for merit, and high regard for ruthlessness. If you develop a cold, calculating attitude, perhaps you'll be able to impress her—or outwit her.

One way to convince her to stop that column is threatening to tell her parents. So...make of that mess what you will.

• Like 1