Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Rhi;

Well, I enjoy it all. :)

From the Team:

"This is excellent.

A few quick notes in response: as implied in the original description, the Hanse are a distinct group from the Sylvan Satyrs of the Imperial Reserve - the group that players thus far have been more likely to encounter (and the group for which the Satyric Revelry skill was more or less named).  From the point of view of the Hanse, the Sylvans are probably almost a tragedy - they've abandoned, or been stolen away from, the purer, ancient cultures of their people and become seduced by the decadence of the fairie courts.  The ecstatic worshippers and the inebriates and the stereotypical Satyrs of (relatively) common Minetan experience do actually have more permanent homes, often underground, and generally supply their revelries not with sustained and honest foraging - but with gifts from the fairie courts (or, rather, the fruits of ancient contracts with the courts) and with whatever rewards they can seduce, beg or steal from human travelers.  They fight, they fornicate, they drink, they lead people astray.

Unsurprisingly, their habits have a way of shading the reputation of the Hanse as well.

In practice what they've done is assimilate, at least partially, with cultures deeper in the "fey umbrella."  They're essentially reliable, mortal armies for the fairie courts in exchange for all the gifts they receive, but they're rarely called to serve in any battle human communities see.

One other part of that assimilation: they seem to have precisely no interest in returning to the surface of Cyve, and though they do trade with the Hanse they tend to look down on their cousins as being joyless and hopelessly mundane."

Idea for a random event in Y2.

In the crowd before a stall with a great bargain offer the person before you suddenly draw a dagger to attack the person before him. I think that something that can happen in Mineta and where the choices of the player could have interesting consequences. (like do the player try to run away, attack the attacker, protect the attacked etc.)

I wont write it my self but anyone who want to write something with this as base is welcome to claim this idea ^^.

8 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

Idea for a random event in Y2.

In the crowd before a stall with a great bargain offer the person before you suddenly draw a dagger to attack the person before him. I think that something that can happen in Mineta and where the choices of the player could have interesting consequences. (like do the player try to run away, attack the attacker, protect the attacked etc.)

I wont write it my self but anyone who want to write something with this as base is welcome to claim this idea ^^.

Actual such an encounter could also the start of an multipath adventure:

best outcome attacker captured and target survive: after some questioning player get a reward and friendly connection to the target.

second best outcome attacker died and target survive: after some more intense questioning player is asked to investigate who is behind the attacker while also get a temporary bodyguard job for the target. (the bodyguard job could lead to more clue that help with the investigation i.e. when the target got attacked again)

Attacker captured and target died: after some questioning the player is asked if (s)he want to help with the investigation (same as second best outcome just without the helpful bodyguard job)

player just escape, no matter the actual outcome there isn't a follow up

Attacker died or escaped and target died without player have hurt anyone beside the attacker: After 1-2 day in prison player is released because (s)he proven innocent.  During this time the player could maybe make a connection to a criminal that prove useful at a other time.

worst outcome attacker escape or die while the players attack killed or badly wounded someone beside the attacker. This would be end in a trial that depend on the connections of the player, the money (s)he want to spend on a representative and his/her law and rhetoric skills. The result could be from even get money for be false accused over some restricted movement over the rest of Y2, to be Imprisoned and banished from Academagia. 

Using forbidden magic at such a public place should also end in the worst outcome ^^.

And no, I still don't want to write it :) so free to claim by someone else. 

In response to @Schwarzbart's proposed violent adventure, and mindful of the fact that later games will get more mature, I propose the following lighter development for a future game: that there be at least one mocking double entendre (perhaps from a Vernin student) about Uliva's love for snakes.

6 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

I think the level of violence of my suggestion is full within what I read Y2 should have at max. With a combat engine part of the game you can't actual prevent dead any more.

@Legate of Mineta: Is there any plan to impose game-play/story segregation so that defeating or being defeated in combat need not result in death? Such would not be unprecedented, since Y1 has duels that are never to the death but use the same mechanics (reducing to 0 hp).

@Legate of Mineta: Would it be permissible for me to write events meant to trigger automatically on Juvenalia during Y2, or would that be contrary to the Team's plans for Y2? The events would not be radical - just greeting-based encounters between the PC and less-organized classmates whom e helped during Y1.

@Legate of Mineta: 1. Would it be permissible to have Tabin be a player of Sittuyin (aka Burmese Chess)? And do not worry - I would not dare to suggest that he is from the setting's equivalent of Burma (even though I actually suspect that he may be). But his being able to play such a foreign boardgame would be fitting with his character's skill in strategy and foreignness.

2. Would it be possible to have research levels tied to an item rather than a location? I am planning to introduce a sittuyin book in various contexts in my adventures/events that, if used, would allow the player to gain ranks in a research skill about sittuyin.

@Legate of Mineta: I really hope that I am not the only person who thinks that Aminþia Que’la is akin to Padmasambhava in Tibetan Buddhism - a teacher of salvific secrets within the ordinary world and tamer of demons while a human who rather than dying went to another universe and remains a potent saviour. I could also see Aminþia Que’la as a type of dakini, to continue the Tibetan Buddhist parallels.

• 2 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: Has there been consideration about adding skills or subskills that, although not illegal in-story, are nonetheless so secret or unknown in Mineta (such as, for example, skills for being a magical ninja) that the player could not be informed about them through Abilities that train in a random skill? I mean, gates, mastery, and synchronicity, although illegal to varying degrees, are known about by scholars in Mineta, so it makes sense that an inquisitive student could inadvertently learn about some or all of those skills by perusing knowledge in Mineta. But other skills and subskills (such as those related to making pacts with certain classes of spirits only known about by gates mages outside the Empire of Man, or the afore-mentioned magical ninja training) would not be known in Mineta except by foreigners - meaning that it would not make sense that an inquisitive student could inadvertently learn about some or all of those skills by perusing knowledge in Mineta. Such a mechanic would also allow for certain skills or subskills to be more valuable rewards if they could only be unlocked through certain quests.