Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Glassblowing and forge work are both massively scarier than man-eating plants. The difference is in the attitude you take while handling them. The botanist who handles man-eating plants doesn't usually blithely walk through them, whereas the mage behind the forge works with temperatures that would make a volcano envious while not batting an eyelash. You just can't treat a forge the cautious way you treat a man-eating plant and have it give you results. Nor can you treat a man-eating plant the way you treat a forge. You take precautions with the plant. With the forge, you have to put your trust in your grasp on how reality works and your steady hands in manipulating it.

Same could be said for glassblowing. Your argument needs an analogy wherein the same level of complete steadiness is essential to making the task work, yet completely out of line with the actual dangers involved. For instance, in chemistry. People who mix poisons and explosives need the same kind of steady hands and unflinching trust. Perhaps they even need it more.

Darn it, now I've convinced myself that Courage is a Chemistry skill. *shakes fist at Andor*

I guess that's what follows of my logic, flawed as it was. Anyone else want to take a stab at the reasoning behind Courage being where it is, in Forge? All I can think of are narrative reasons (the No Cowardly Blacksmith hypothesis).

EDIT: Oh! And while I'm in the Suggestions thread, I'll add a legitimately new suggestion. Astrology seems to be generally the skill of finding stuff and divination. How about, perhaps for later years, a new spell. Call it 'As Above, So Below' or perhaps 'Guidance of the Night Sky'. Make it a spell that can only be cast in the Evening, which works like the Explore action but better. It's 'wild divination' to be sure, but the idea amuses me, to use divination to find things you never knew you'd never seen.

A couple of quick suggestions regarding the "end of day" reports. They are very helpful, but there are a few things that would make them much better.

First of all, putting the parent skill in parentheses after every subskill listed on the end of day reports would be VERY helpful for players trying to figure out where to find that new skill they just picked up/learned about. For example, you might see "You increased your Concentration (Enspell) sub skill by 1 step."

Most of the time, those reports are the first time you see a new skill, and it would save A LOT of time clicking through the skill list if the parent skill was also listed.

Second, it would be really helpful to know when your allowance arrives, and to have better reporting of money in general on those reports. Basically having your current money total reported every time it changes would help a lot.

Ackron;

Thanks! The first has been requested by another Academagian, and we are going to start by placing the Parent Skill in the Skill's Description. This may evolve later into an in-line report as you suggest, though.

For the second, this is a new suggestion- and a good one. We'll see what we can do.

Thanks again!

Minor suggestion, would it be possible to give the option to give a command to use the Train ability on a Skill- which would not increase the Skill directly, but instead increase a random sub-skill within it? Including having a chance to increase a sub-skill you are not currently aware of.

So, if you had two sub-skills out of three, you'd have a 1 in 3 chance of learning the missing skill, and if you don't, you instead gain one skill step towards one of the other two.

Just an idea, to solve the problem of being unable to raise a skill level despite being pretty good at the sub-skills you know about.

Speaking in general, players often want a game altered in a way so reaching their goals is much easier and faster. That is actually what I am concerned about, because then I lose interest. Granted everyone is different. I like the basic game design as it is now but obviously I trust your judgement because you know it best. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not at all a casual gamer (more a power gamer than anything else). I don't want the gam eto be easier. I want to have choice.

During my first playthough I just couldn't get "compete" above 0, because I had no way to get the relevant subskills. Even if I had the only subskill I knew at 10.

After playing 2 characters, I know some places or spells will help to get them, but when you're NOT a casual gamer, you hate to rely too heavily on RNG.

So feel free to avoid giving names to people you don't know :)

I must say that Andor had a goint point when he said that the real game is to learn the rules. And I like that, but some things are just counter intuitive.

Using research wouldn't be the best idea, because there's several paths of research that aren't open for you. I'm looking at you "compete". And I've just no way to know how to unlock a research path. Maybe a "Search at the library" action that would let you chose (it's not to be easier, it's because i'm a powergamer) a new path of research to add. After all if I know nothing at a subject I can always go to the library, or find someone that could teach me the basics.

Speaking of that : we need a way to know what know the entire clique. It's really tedious to search for each member. Why not add an action that would be the reverse of "teach" ? You select a friend, a subject, and if your relation is all right he teaches you the basics of a subject you chose (maybe sometimes even better than some teachers ? I know that in real life ;))

Glassblowing and forge work are both massively scarier than man-eating plants. The difference is in the attitude you take while handling them. The botanist who handles man-eating plants doesn't usually blithely walk through them, whereas the mage behind the forge works with temperatures that would make a volcano envious while not batting an eyelash. You just can't treat a forge the cautious way you treat a man-eating plant and have it give you results. Nor can you treat a man-eating plant the way you treat a forge. You take precautions with the plant. With the forge, you have to put your trust in your grasp on how reality works and your steady hands in manipulating it.

Same could be said for glassblowing. Your argument needs an analogy wherein the same level of complete steadiness is essential to making the task work, yet completely out of line with the actual dangers involved. For instance, in chemistry. People who mix poisons and explosives need the same kind of steady hands and unflinching trust. Perhaps they even need it more.

Darn it, now I've convinced myself that Courage is a Chemistry skill. *shakes fist at Andor*

I guess that's what follows of my logic, flawed as it was. Anyone else want to take a stab at the reasoning behind Courage being where it is, in Forge? All I can think of are narrative reasons (the No Cowardly Blacksmith hypothesis).

EDIT: Oh! And while I'm in the Suggestions thread, I'll add a legitimately new suggestion. Astrology seems to be generally the skill of finding stuff and divination. How about, perhaps for later years, a new spell. Call it 'As Above, So Below' or perhaps 'Guidance of the Night Sky'. Make it a spell that can only be cast in the Evening, which works like the Explore action but better. It's 'wild divination' to be sure, but the idea amuses me, to use divination to find things you never knew you'd never seen.

In fact some skills should be cross-skill( :) )

Courage should be in forge AND in chemistry AND in Taking care of animal eating plants.

Or a better thing : character, ethics, courage, willpower are things about YOU. A lot of skills are about what you know and what you can do. Maybe some skills should be in fact attributes ?

Courage being an attribute, as fitness or strength, would make more sense. And there would be a subskill that would be "Conscient use of willpower" (when you carefully concentrate for a hard task), a subskill (maybe in history) about famous people that used their willpower to overcom ethings, courage in forge is more like "carefullness" or "concentration".

To my observation in all Events and Adventures I haved so fare with my Char Quaston as soon I successed in a Negation exit no mather what SS it was I ended to get a increase in Negation methodes when succesed.

So either it was bad luck about the Events I haved or rewards for sucessing in a Negation option need to spread out a bit more.

Today is not my day 2 times posted this in to the wrong threads :P