Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

jbkaok;

The Skill Level is a good idea, and one requested by other Academagians- but there may actually be the opportunity to put that into Patch 22, we'll see.

Autosave has also been requested, and for that reason- we'll see what we can do. :)

Thanks!

Wohoo, that was fast! Now if only there were a way to show only the phemes that could be added when casting a certain spell rather than having to exit the actions menu, go to the spell list, and find the phemes associated with it... :) [i suppose you could always just include that in the short description shown in the cast a spell menu]

jbkaok;

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean here- the Phemes that could be added when casting a Spell are all the ones that you know. Can you clarify?

Thanks!

Hm. Maybe this has to do with my misunderstanding of spellcasting then. You can add any pheme when casting any spell? I think the mentor adventure cleared it up a little: the phemes listed in the spells are the components of the spells, but you can add any other pheme [Congress wants to pass an appropriations bill but some representative wants to add a rider onto it to get some earmarks for his home state].

Will a water pheme still react in opposition when added to a spell that contains the fire pheme as its base (rather than added)? Are there synergistic phemes that will gain additional bonuses when paired with certain spells or is that really just the idea of advanced spell creation? If this is so then that information on reactions might be handy have accessible when selecting phemes.

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I've been working on familiar quests and improving my familiar lately. A few things that I think would help in reporting -

1. Skill step gains for familiar produced through the familiar quest are not reported in the daily summary.

2. Familiar quests do not change color based on difficulty for familiar to complete.

3. When clicking on skills under the familiar's page, they show the main characters skill level and number of skill steps to raise instead of the familiars.

FYI - running off of patch 21, I believe (latest DLC) Familiar is the Royal Stealth Iguana.

Might we have a journal, pretty please? I have started a pen and paper notebook for Academagia, and while it does the job, it's inconvenient and anti-immersive to have to keep flipping through a binder precariously balanced in my lap. This game is one of the deepest I have ever encountered in years of gaming. I am sure there are players who have resorted to spreadsheets, too, but all I am asking for here is a feature that was once common to shareware games of old, a very very simple text entry box with retention and erase capabilities. I am sure you probably remember those from the old days, the simple journals where a player could record achievements, goals, track quests, write a background for the character, etc. It may be that you could use some of the code used for naming cliques and familiars, but expand the text field to allow perhaps a couple pages worth of free space in which to type. I feel the most logical place for a journal button would probably be on the lower left, opposite to and balancing the clock button. If you feel that might confuse new players overly much, I would suggest placing it on the wooden "ledge" at the left side of the college crest, or making it a fairly small icon immediately under the character portrait and name.

Some potential uses of a modest in-game journal include:

The Practical/OOC

1. A place to store all that information you looked up on the wikia earlier and have already forgotten.

2. Record when characters in your clique befriend, romance, or fight with other students. Knowing the friend and enemies status of clique members can be useful in recruiting compatible new members, and could head off clique fights which might break up your whole clique.

3. For minmaxer style players, a journal would assist in testing theories about game mechanics. I realize many Academagia players probably dislike minmaxers, but it's a valid playstyle and from reading the boards and the wikia, I can tell there is a strong interest in some players to design characters according to game mechanics rather than roleplay principles.

4. A place to record typos and other issues as they are encountered, for reporting later as convenient.

Roleplay/Immersion/Artistic

1. Record special events in the character's first year, which might be difficult to remember by the time the sequel comes out. By then, the player might have played literally dozens of other characters in the meantime.

2. Character diary. Even a few pages could hold the character's feelings about teachers, the first and last days, or the humiliation of failing midterms.

3. Prophecy journal. Will you really remember in a year or two what you hoped for this character to do in future years? You will if it's stored in the character file.

4. Character background. Does the character miss a kid sister? Any skeletons in the closet? Attending the Academy by choice, or because family or hometown wanted it? A journal would allow the dedicated roleplayer to flesh out the options chosen in character creation, however unlikely the combination might have been.

5. Artistic endeavors. Players could use the space for in character poetry, prayers, correspondences, proposed lore, ASCII art and cartography, and just about anything a creative person could come up with to do with text.

Mirage;

That's an excellent suggestion, but one that almost certainly must wait for Year 2. Having an interactive journal is high on the list of desirable features, though, we agree.

Schwarzbart;

I've just glanced at the Action Map Region, and it appears that there's a problem with the content- it will be closed in DLC 5.

Thanks!

Mirage;

That's an excellent suggestion, but one that almost certainly must wait for Year 2. Having an interactive journal is high on the list of desirable features, though, we agree.

Ah, naturally I do not know what your code is like, so it's difficult for me to guess what features could be added now. Thank you for your response! I posted because two of us here are now playing Academagia and we both individually perceived a need for a journal. Then I saw this in one of the reviews you have linked, and realized we are not alone in keeping notes:

"To be honest, the game almost demands a return to when players maintained meticulous notes on their game so that they knew exactly what they needed to do at a given time."

-Jason Ballew, Gaming Trend (Gaming Trend review)

I was hoping it wouldn't be difficult to add one, but it seems I am mistaken. My apologies. I'll just have to be very careful not to lose my notebook. :) I have played an alarming number of characters already since downloading Academagia shortly before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I got Insight after Insight bonus through my games mostly from the adventures, maybe the team should consider to put more focus on the other Attributes as Adventurechain rewards expecial finesse. (Curent 11 insight but only 2 Finesse and both started with 2)

Edit: Maybe for someone with a basic Gate Magic understanding who have managed The Much-Rumored Tower and also saved the 2 Students of the Past in this new Questline ther could be a "new" kind of MAgic in the next years they can thry to learn ^^.

Edit2: I still hope that we can continue the Familiar: quests in year 2 because during some game versions they were next to imposible to get through and I think its at last the 3. time that I encounterd a broken one. With the high effect this questline have on the familiars abilitys I think it would be fair to give the player the ability to finish them somehow in the next year.

Sorry to grave dig, but there are several research categories that reward you with increased finesse. I'm not really sure about the adventures, since I've done so few of them. My characters seem to all want to explore the library rather than the surrounding area. I do agree that even the research rewards are biased towards Insight (not that I've managed to unlock all of them or even finish all of the ones I have unlocked).

Maybe it would be good to check the Adventure List of a new generated Char for Adventures that souldent be in the list bevor a new DLC go live.

This way you can prevent such obvious brocken Adventure chains like they sliped into DLC 4.

I think its bether to shift a DLC release 2-3days or even 1 week then let such easy to find bugs still in and let all wait 1 Month for the fix.

Here is some rough draft of familiar and background suggestion that could be improved. Most familiar are base on the idea of being difficult to raise, but provide extra benefit in the end of their adventure to make it worth the troubles and will cost 1-2 point or give you point instead if there's no benefit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Familiar

Leeches: -2 hp permanently or -1 hp per week.

Ability: Revive you with 1 hp in battle by giving you blood or prevent you from going to clinic once per month.

Lazy Panda: -200 Pims per month for the expensive import of bamboos from far away land.

Baby Hippopotamus: -50 Pims per week since the school refuse to give it more food than allowed, so you have to pay the rest. (Double cost each year)

Ability: (Umm...cute and soft pillow?)

Langur monkeys: -1 relationship with someone per month

Ability: (Fight like a pirate)

Beholder: This selfish familiar will hypnotize you to get whatever it want (Random negative reference from astrology effect) until you gain mystery/negation of 11 or finish it adventure with a familiar relationship of 8.

Ability: Can hypnotize anyone for three action per month.

Doppelganger: It mimic you and causing trouble (Random social negative)! Convince it to stop by finishing adventure or reach intimation 11.

Ability: Ask your familiar to mimic someone else and cause them great trouble. (10% chance of you getting caught instead)

Rafflesia: This flower smell like rotten meat, you are unwelcome everywhere (Raise chance of getting caught by 10%) and lost 2 charm until you finish it's adventure quest to teach it to make wonderful smell which reward you +2 charm in the end.

Satyrs: You...can't...stop...DANCING! +2 stress per week, +1 dance ss per month, finish adventure to stop it.

Ability : Someone...can't...stop...DANCING!

All negative double each year until stopped by adventure or skills require to stop it will be at 21 next year.

Expensive Background suggestion

Family: Mass Mind Control

Cost: 5 Points

Prerequisite: (Family: The Secret Heritage or Family: Wizards) And (History: Descended of Traitors)

Effect: +1 to two random mastery ss, fully (subconsciously) control of all students in your collage for two month, and Parental Approval + 50.

Description:

The head of your family decide to get you interested in the way of the forbidden art by providing you an interesting start of your school year by spending massive amount of resources setting up complex forbidden rituals that involving you spending lots of time reading people names over and over again on whatever possession your family manage to get from your potential dorm mates.

Family: Orphan

Cost: 2

Prerequisite: (Exploits: The City of Mineta or Exploits: The Society of the West) And (one Discoveries: (location))

Effect: Parental Approval level will never rise above 0, start with 100 pims, Finesse +1, Wisdom +1, Stress maximum +1

, Stress +2, Greengrocery +2 SS, and Sleight-of-Hand +2 SS.

Description:

You spend part of your life living as a beggar/thief wondering the street and endured the harsh reality of the world until the day when you are finally gotten caught and send to the local orphanage by law, where you are evaluate to have magical potential enough to be eligible for the Mineta sponsored financial aid for the potential wizard.

Family: Adopted

Cost: 0

Prerequisite: Family: Orphan

Effect: Unlock parental approval, half the parental approval gain from other Background, Stress maximum -1

Description:

You are adopted for your potential as a wizard and whatever nefarious intention by your new family. They didn't treat you badly and does provide you with some degree of freedom, but their unrealistic high expectation for you to succeed is a constant annoyance.

Inheritance: Stolen Mysterious Package

Cost: 1 Points

Prerequisite: Family: Graverobbers

Effect: 1 Random Legendary Item (Reroll if value <900 pims)

Description:

Whatever is in the box, it is something expensive enough to make your family publicly known as the graverobbers.

I think it would be great if the Master's Miniature Lute (and the 2 other probably similiar items of this questline) have a magic effect on it that allows it to growth into a Full sized instrument and from a Full Sized Instrument back to the Amulet size.

Right now this serves probably no real effect except that one can choose if it sould be a Hand item or a Amulett item but when instruments realy get needed for music performences (I hope they will in year 2) it will be a easy to transport instrument.

The Questline Ometti Adventure could be put 2 steps together (2+3 and 4+5) why have the character split the talk to the 2 students on different days and why not have intruduced to the first candidate right at the 2nd visit?

Especial that they send you back at your 2nd visit without intreduce you the the first candidate removes the imagination that the char is under time presure because of the different understanding of the flow of time.

Maybe the difficulty have to adust a bit but I dont think the rewards need adustments even with 2 steps at one use of adventure.

In the Adventure "The Godina Retreat" step 08 and 09 could you pleace add some text at the success exits that the poisoner is brought to the city guards and the building that was burned down is actual the Godina Retreat?

This way this adventure part looks over and the next seperat step isnt needed to know how this day continued.

Also to me it was absolut unclear at the end of step 8 what building was burned down and I thought it was the Redoubt!

(my path: 6 Exit 2; 7 Exit 1; 8 Exit 2)