Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Could we get a random Society skill giving action? Something like 'Tea with Professor Badcrumble', where in exchange for suffering through (stress!) the incident, we get a random society skill-up? I've found it really hard to unlock a few society skills- Minetan Swagger and Speaking Quietly of Riddles in particular.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Congratulations to the devs for making such a great game. I think I'm not the only one a bit disappointed with the Harry Potter games that decreased in quality after part 3, and not providing what they could have: a true RPG experience with lots of choices to be made.

In any case, Academagia is a very nice idea and already an universe in itself. I hope the developers will improve and keep up the good work.

A few suggestions, stuff I'd like to see implemented:

1. 3D environment, kinda Harry Potter 1-3 parts? Exploring Academagia like exploring Hogwarts, discovering hidden areas and objects would please most of the fans, I'm sure. At least some scenes could go 3D, for example when you click explore, you would actually jump to that scene...

I realize that 3D would be hard work, but there are free 3D engines out there (Blender, for example), I'm sure there are also talented 3D programmers in the devs's team - it would be worth a try. Someday in the future maybe?

2. Full voice acting (main character included)? It would be nice to actually respond directly to dialogues, via the usual rpg-style dialogue choices. Maybe pantomime for the characters, eye blinking, laughing, frowns etc?

3. Romances? Same gender romances available also? I mean, what is a world of magic without freedom to choose, right?

4. A purpose of the overall story? I am totally for multistory, with random generated events, but each of those could go at a certain time into a more consistent plot, for example defeating a certain boss, or pursuing a specific relation?

5. There are too many disciplines!! Some of them could be brought together into one category only. Examples: Astrology and Astronomy are actually the same in a world of magic. Same goes for Observation, Awareness and Perception.

6. Just a funny idea: romancing Pamela? :)

Thanks for reading, caring, and wish you best of all good! Can't wait for year 2!

Xardas;

Thanks for the comments!

1. 3D environment, kinda Harry Potter 1-3 parts? Exploring Academagia like exploring Hogwarts, discovering hidden areas and objects would please most of the fans, I'm sure. At least some scenes could go 3D, for example when you click explore, you would actually jump to that scene...

I realize that 3D would be hard work, but there are free 3D engines out there (Blender, for example), I'm sure there are also talented 3D programmers in the devs's team - it would be worth a try. Someday in the future maybe?

Although we'll never say 'never', a strong 3D component to Academagia of the type you describe is very, very unlikely. The cost of doing something like this, in terms of the team's size and ability to carry it out, would really be prohibitive. Would be cool, though. :)

2. Full voice acting (main character included)? It would be nice to actually respond directly to dialogues, via the usual rpg-style dialogue choices. Maybe pantomime for the characters, eye blinking, laughing, frowns etc?

We've discussed this internally, and we'd like to do it. Not for Year 2, but we hope eventually.

3. Romances? Same gender romances available also? I mean, what is a world of magic without freedom to choose, right?

Romances will certainly be in (in some cases, Romances already begun building!), and a few same gender options may be available. *looks at Mikka* ;)

4. A purpose of the overall story? I am totally for multistory, with random generated events, but each of those could go at a certain time into a more consistent plot, for example defeating a certain boss, or pursuing a specific relation?

And how do you know there isn't already? :)

5. There are too many disciplines!! Some of them could be brought together into one category only. Examples: Astrology and Astronomy are actually the same in a world of magic. Same goes for Observation, Awareness and Perception.

We strongly disagree, but we understand why this is (often) requested. There will be further cross-usage of Skills in year 2, but you will not see any removal of Skills. In fact, you will see *more* of them. :)

6. Just a funny idea: romancing Pamela?

Hahaha! No one has requested that before. Romancing one's Familiar offers some interesting problems. It might be fun to go into that, we'll see. :)

1) I love Academagia just because its more like a book and don't try to give you many visuals. If at all I would probably accept some kind of Isometric Perspective but the modern EGO or 3th Person Perspectives, no thanks. (Especial if it looks like a 15 year or even older game then a 3D Perspective will maybe even have a negative effect on the sale numbers compared to a Isometric view or as it is now with only 2D graphics)

2) I hope I can disable the voice then , call me oldschool but I prefer reading text any day over voice Acting. Especial Academagia is like reading a good Book where your the main Hero and can decide the direction of the story and adding voices to the people sudenly let this book feeling fanishing

5) Yea more Skills and so more choises if done right ^^

Xardas;

Romances will certainly be in (in some cases, Romances already begun building!), and a few same gender options may be available. *looks at Mikka* ;)

Aye, hopefully soon after the release of the next DLC, I'll hopefully be releasing a mod that will hopefully become put in as DLC material that will add two gay and two bisexual students in the game to allow same-gender romance for those characters who choose to peruse it (...though in year one, there really isn't even anything beyond the lightest flirting, but, er, it's a start for later years!) as well as random chaos and fun for all... hopefully.

That's a lot of 'hopefully's, but the hopeful part is mostly on the 'soon'. The project *will* be done, I promise, I just have that awful feeling it'll take longer then I hope. Projects have a way of doing that.

/stares suspiciously at the Secret Project for a while

I just wanted to chime in with my two cents on some of the new suggestions.

I'm with the people who prefer it to be text-based: it makes it feel very different from a lot of other games out there. There's definitely room for a 3-D exploration type game (in fact, it sounds very interesting!) but that seems like it would be a different game than Academagia. Using such a visual interface would draw attention away from where Academagia really shines: the stories.

I'm neutral on voice-acting; it's really unusual for a game to have voice-actors that I actually like (although it does occasionally happen), so I'd want the option of turning off/muting the voices. I do like the idea of having an image of the character demonstrating emotion, though. Something like a little portrait off to the side, that might raise eyebrows, grin, glare, etc...

Heh, and I second the suggestion to romance Pamela. Now that would be interesting! :lol:

I'm with the people who prefer it to be text-based: it makes it feel very different from a lot of other games out there. There's definitely room for a 3-D exploration type game (in fact, it sounds very interesting!) but that seems like it would be a different game than Academagia. Using such a visual interface would draw attention away from where Academagia really shines: the stories.

I didn't mean that the entire interface should be changed to 3D. I find pleasure in reading the texts, too. My point was that some scenes, where exploration/adventure is involved could be accessed, optionally, of course, in a 3D perspective, where you can move your character around and cast spells in a Harry Potter games 1-3 manner. Adds to immersion! :)

Even then, if you don't want to 3D your char in that exploring, you could go the classical way - pure text.

Such a thing was done in a soccer manager (can't remember the title, some friends played it once) where you could watch your managed team either from the board interface, via texts and button, or jump to pitch and give orders directly.

Same with voices - yes, the option to toggle them on/off.

I'm all for Choices, not for compulsory 'have it our way only' stuff. Flexible attitudes make masterpiece games :)

Wish you all the best!

Lol Voice Acting become especial interesting how to do it at the time of the puberty vocal change :P

General I think Voice Accting if dont at all probably should be done at the time it is added for the remaining years because a sudden complet change in the voice is by general kind of strange even if for the studends the puperty could be the reason to have a deeper voice.

(So maybe Voiceacting could be a interesting part for a Kickstarter Project because then the people wo realy whant it can vote with theyr money fo it so a good voice acting for academagia will be posible and if its fail then you still can go on witout voice acting ^^)

There's a few other things I think they are important, if not mandatory.

(I've also searched the forum about this, but it doesn't provide much info...)

1. When creating our character, I think it would be fairest to have the option to customize them however we see fit. Mainly, what I'm talking about is the option to select the portrait from a satisfactory large gallery. It's so frustrating to choose only between 2 portraits! I found myself in the situation where I prefer one college, but I'd rather choose the portrait available only in other. Not to mention the scarcity of the gallery - more portraits are needed.

2. Another frustrating fact that happened to me: created a new char, chose one background where you get a special object, which got me a weapon what had a conceive value of 3, and I got reprimanded for trespassing from the first day of school! Lots of Detentions followed, it was that frustrating that I really had to create a new char and start over.

I say: let people know what they're getting into, if they select such backgrounds. Make some very readable and simple to follow Warning for first time 'rule-breakers', don't just throw them in Detention like that!

3. Speaking of Detention, some things are not ok with this system.

I) First of all, mentioned, Detentions come too easily, especially after a first time mistake.

II) Second, the student knows nothing about what the Detention will look like until they get past it! They should have the right to know everything: what act exactly caused the Detention, what kind of penalty will they undergo, what teacher will supervise etc. That way, the student will be better prepared.

III) Third, Detention should differ in accordance to the broken rule, and they should provide constructive penalty. For example, if I skipped Astronomy class, my Detention should focus on Astronomy study. If I messed the plants in the garden, my Detention should deal with gardening and care for plants. Goes without saying, the corresponding skills will increase just as a normal 'Train' that skill would do...

IV) Fourth, increasing one's relation with the Detention teacher, should at least lower Detention sessions, if not cease them completely.

V) Fifth, not any act of being caught in a 'rule-breaking' should conclude in a Detention. What about such a scenario: Professor X catches student Y in a forbidden library (an area example). Normally, professor X would take standard legal action and bring the act to the knowledge of the teaching staff. But, suppose professor X has his/her own agenda, they have a good relation with student Y (matter of trust) and would like to search that library for a certain book, however he/she (the teacher) doesn't have the time for that. They (professor X) could 'strike a deal' (hehe) with student Y: the student is allowed to explore as long as they search for the book/s the professor wants, thus saving the teacher's time, too. The situation could even repeat a few times, with other books being needed, more skills being tested etc.

4. About romances (not into the 'if not mandatory' zone :)), I was just thinking... are there any possibilities of 'student romancing teacher' being considered? (XD - mischievous grin...)

Thanks again for your time and effort. May it rain with masterpiece games! :)