Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I'd just like to chime in to state I'm also against adding voices. As others have pointed-out; voice acting is one of those things that when it's good, it's very good, and when it's bad, it's horrible. As much as I like and respect Black Chicken, I know they won't be able to afford the upper tier of voice actors (VA) for all or even most of the many characters in this game. A distinct voice would be needed for each student and instructor, talented VAs may be able to do three or four voices and keep them distinct but that's still approaching two dozen VAs, at minimum! IMHO that means too much expense and risk for comparatively little reward.

Speaking from experience, it's more than a chore. A couple of lines can take a few weeks to get right and the tools can be expensive. And I'm not talking about the wear and tear on the nerves where every single voice pitch starts sounding the same and you start yelling at headphones...

I also don't really think it's necessary. We all imagine the way Phillipe talks, for example, but can someone's voice mimic the tone and nastiness just like he'd say it in our heads? At best, it sets a precedent of quality for all voices and rises our expectations for all the students and professors which is unrealistic. At worst, it can be pretty jarring and immersion breaking.

Of course, if you guys can get Morgan Freeman, all bets are off.

Oh, and I'm all for more Familiars or at least more interactions with Familiars and other people's reaction to them. I imagine a shade or a wolf or a ...bear can do wonders for intimidation.

Just want to chime in here about the Voice actors.

Ehh ... Not excited about it. I prefer to imagine things. Philippe with a a gruff voice who screams like a little girl. Zorzi sounding like an overly excited squirrel...

This is just my opinion of course.

And about the familiars. Could Pamela learn to possess people?tongue.gif

I havn't found anything about what im about to suggest but I guess I havn't been watching this whole thread... it's huge.. Which is good I guess.

Will we have a control tab for our familiar in year 2? maybe the amount of controllable actions and action slots could be limited by the strength of our bond.

Progressive control 1-3 action slots/day depending on your bond with you familiand, and actions dependign on your familiars abilites and capabilites. Aswell as additional possibilities that you add by signing the familiar up for "familiar classes" or something.. Maybe it takes a fee in the form of pims and a well written aplication to the "familar/pet" school.

Or send them on missions to sabotage for your rivals, or simply partrol against the sabotage committed by rivals. Or whatever the familiar is good at and what you want it to get better at.

Also.. I was wondering... isn't there a risk that lacking social skill in a familiar can anoy/anger professors? I guess they know what it's like to be a young wizard with a hard to manage familiar.. But still at some point the kid is responsible for it's little hellion.. ?

Also... Even if I knew some mastery or gates skills/spells it would probably be a very bad idea to tech it to my familiar. Me, I might possibly be better at controlling and knowing when it's wrong to use those skills.. which would be most of the time.

It would be harder for your familiar to understand those concepts. It wouldn't be likely to understand how dangerous or how illegal it is, or what illegal actualy meens.

Also... Even if I knew some mastery or gates skills/spells it would probably be a very bad idea to tech it to my familiar. Me, I might possibly be better at controlling and knowing when it's wrong to use those skills.. which would be most of the time.

It would be harder for your familiar to understand those concepts. It wouldn't be likely to understand how dangerous or how illegal it is, or what illegal actualy meens.

Or the potential "I am being Mastered by my familiar" situation ;)

Or your familiar trying to get some lunch (some dream lord or socks) and you get that whole situation of "My familiar summoned an army of angry vampire dragons" while I was napping...

Talk about awkward.

Though, I suppose some familiars might be more familiar with the theory of it than the player. If your familiar is older than your player or has been the familiar of a previous mage, it's possible that he could teach the PC. At least the theory of it.

I like the different tab suggestion, because that way it won't take up your slot for the familiar adventures. We need all the slots we can take, especially considering how busy Year 2 is shaping up.

Great suggestions here:

Will we have a control tab for our familiar in year 2? maybe the amount of controllable actions and action slots could be limited by the strength of our bond.

No, at least it's not planned as such. The additional options for your Familiar occurs in a slightly different manner. It's not a bad idea, though!

Progressive control 1-3 action slots/day depending on your bond with you familiand, and actions dependign on your familiars abilites and capabilites. Aswell as additional possibilities that you add by signing the familiar up for "familiar classes" or something.. Maybe it takes a fee in the form of pims and a well written aplication to the "familar/pet" school.

Or send them on missions to sabotage for your rivals, or simply partrol against the sabotage committed by rivals. Or whatever the familiar is good at and what you want it to get better at.

Also.. I was wondering... isn't there a risk that lacking social skill in a familiar can anoy/anger professors? I guess they know what it's like to be a young wizard with a hard to manage familiar.. But still at some point the kid is responsible for it's little hellion.. ?

I like the idea of Familiar School, though- does Contu have a class just for Familiars? :)

Some fun ideas about sabotage are already in the design, but this suggestion about the lack of Social Skills is pretty hilarious. I'll send that to the Team, thanks!

Familiars, it is thought, cannot Master their Mage due to the nature of the Bond.

I wonder if Morvidus not have special Familiar Classes. ;) But if I remember right Morvidus just get teached how to bether Handle the Familiars but there where some suggestions in the past that maybe some students do the teaching of the familiars in theyr free time for money.

Hey all,

I've got a suggestion regarding cliques. As it currently stands, its better to pick some clique members over others as some provide better bonuses. It wouldn't matter much except that some students have buffs which are better by an order of magnitude than others. Second the attribute bonuses from the adventures become meaningless after you do a lot of them, so some of the reward from adventuring 'lost'. I thought of something that, in my opinion, can remedy both these issues to some extent. Why not allow the adventure reward (i.e. attribute increase) to be given to one of your clique members instead of your char? That way, its not so much of an issue picking weak members as you can make them stronger and the reward of the adventure is still there. I thought it kinda makes sense from a story perspective as well seeing how your clique adventures with you. I know this can't be implemented in Y1 but maybe in Y2?

Schwarzbart;

Technically, yes, but eventually you will fail the comprehensive examinations and that...will end the game. ;)

Junaid;

Schwarzbart is correct- some Clique Members are more valuable in Year 1 than others. But you will find that what was valuable in Year 1 is less so in Year 2- sometimes dramatically. :)